London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Monday, Aug 17, 2026

Counter terror police help investigation as man set alight near Birmingham mosque

Counter terror police help investigation as man set alight near Birmingham mosque

Counter-terror police are involved in an investigation into a man being set alight as he walked home from a mosque.

A man has been held on suspicion of attempted murder after the attack in Edgbaston, Birmingham, on Monday.

The West Midlands and Metropolitan forces are looking into whether there is a link to a similar attack in Ealing, west London last month.

The Birmingham victim, in his 70s, was approached, sprayed with a substance and had his jacket set on fire.

Neighbours told the BBC they helped to put the flames out and carry the victim to his home where he was treated by paramedics.

His son said his father was "very badly burned" and they were praying for his recovery.

He was taken to hospital with burns to his face which are serious but not thought to be life-threatening. Police said he remained in a stable condition.


'Praying he's OK'


Tayyab Riaz, the victim's nephew, said everyone was "very upset" at the "shocking news".

"For 35 years he's been going to that mosque to pray and there's never been a problem," he said.

"Suddenly this happens. His hair, beard and eyebrows are badly burnt. We're praying he's OK."

A video of an attack shared on social media which shows a man being set alight is under investigation by police.

Downing Street described the incident as a "concerning case".

The suspect was arrested in Dudley Road, the street where the Birmingham mosque is, on Tuesday after being identified by officers carrying out inquiries. The attack happened just after 19:00 GMT in nearby Shenstone Road.

Members of the mosque told Channel 4 news they had spotted a man in the congregation on Monday who stood out because "he wasn't praying and was sitting in the wrong direction".

Sahir Aziz Adam said he approached him and said the traditional Arabic greeting to him - "as-salamu alaykum", which means peace be upon you, but the man didn't respond, which set alarm bells ringing.

He left the building and Mr Adam said he called the police.

In Ealing, an 82-year-old man was set on fire as he left the West London Islamic Centre on Singapore Road, at about 20:00 on 27 February.

Ch Supt Richard North, commander at Birmingham police, said: "We are aware of the incident that happened in London.

"We are actively working with the Metropolitan Police to see if those two incidents are connected. That's a major part of our inquiry.

"I have had meetings today with colleagues from the Metropolitan Police and they are engaged in the inquiry. We are working very much closely together."

He said officers had been "working through the night to establish what happened and who is responsible".

"We are taking this matter extremely seriously and are using all resources available to us," he said.

"We are keeping an open mind to the motive of the attacker and we won't speculate further at this stage."

He added: "Our investigation continues with support from Counter Terrorism Policing West Midlands who have access to specialist capabilities to help establish the full circumstances surrounding the incident."

Monsur Alam said the attack was "very scary"


Officers are aware of a video posted on social media "showing a man being set alight, and we're examining it as part of our investigations", the force said.

Father of four Monsur Alam, aged 60, has lived in the road where the attack happened for the past five years.

"I heard screaming and my daughter was screaming as well," he said. "My wife ran outside with a bucket of water and a man poured over him (the victim)."

"It was very scary," he added.

Mohammed Abbasim, from Dudley Road Mosque, said: "It's shocking to see that someone that you know has been targeted in this way."

"When things like this happen, it's an opportunity for the local people to come together rather than divide further," he said.

Scorch marks are on the pavement in Edgbaston where the attack happened


Residents said a lot of doorbell footage in the area had been handed in to police.

Extra officers will be in the area to speak to the community and provide reassurance.

In a joint statement, the city council's leader Ian Ward, cabinet member for community safety John Cotton and ward councillors Sharon Thompson and Marcus Bernasconi called it a "horrific attack".

They also said they would be talking with community groups and local mosques "to offer support to the wider community".

"We would urge the community to work with the police and to avoid any speculation at this stage," they added.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
Sarah Ferguson Reportedly Retreats to Late Ex-Boyfriend's Swiss Chalet
Cristiano Ronaldo and Georgina Rodríguez Sign Prenup Protecting Their Separate Fortunes
Thieves Steal Antonello da Messina Renaissance Masterpieces From Sicilian Museum
Better.com Founder Who Fired 900 Employees on Zoom Is Ousted as CEO
Italian Speed Camera Issues Nearly 32,000 Fines in 10 Weeks, Worth More Than €3 Million
AI Manager at San Francisco Store Recommends Firing Human Employee
Google Launches Pixel 11 With Gemini AI at the Center of Its Hardware Strategy
Campaigners Press Government to Strengthen Rights for Four Million Gig Workers
Government Considers Higher Private Rents to Spread Asylum Accommodation Across UK
UK Moves to Protect Historic Pubs From Conversion Into Housing and Offices
Nigel Farage Wins Clacton By-Election to Return to House of Commons
British Manufacturers Report Rising Cybersecurity Threats Across Industrial Supply Chains
Royal Navy Increases Monitoring of Russian Ships in UK Waters by 25 Percent
England Adds More Than 350 Medical Training Posts to Strengthen NHS Capacity
NHS Waiting Lists Over 52 Weeks Rise by More Than 11,000 Patients
Brent Crude Near $88 Raises Fresh UK Energy Cost Concerns
UK Treasury Warns Prolonged Strait of Hormuz Disruption Could Cut 2027 Growth to 0.3 Percent
UK Economy Grows 0.4 Percent in Second Quarter as Energy and Inflation Risks Persist
UK Heatwave Triggers Emergency Alert as Government Unveils £65 Million Farm Support Package
Reform UK Unveils Plan to Cut Welfare Spending by More Than £50 Billion a Year
Prime Minister Andy Burnham Praised Extinction Rebellion for Doing a 'Great Service'
UK Wildfire Phone Alert Triggers Backlash as Users Switch Off Emergency Warnings
Heathrow Roads Reopen After Burst Water Main Floods Access to Terminals 2 and 3
Former NBA Players Enes Kanter Freedom and Royce White Say They Will Enter 2027 WNBA Draft
Former Cambridge Professor Jason Arday Found Dead Days After Resigning Amid Plagiarism Row
US Appeals Court Rules AI Agent's Website Actions Are Legally Attributed to the User
France's Constitutional Council Blocks Social Media Ban for Children Under 15
Liechtenstein Changes Royal Succession Rules to Allow Women to Inherit the Throne
Women Allege Rape and Sexual Abuse at British Army College for Teenage Recruits
Minnesota: Two independent investigators posed as Muslims (one wearing a burqa) and showed how they could vote in elections without identification.
UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham Takes Regional Tour to Highlight Local Infrastructure and Environmental Problems
Nigel Farage Wins Clacton By-Election to Return to the House of Commons
Bank of England Warns Rising Inflation Could Squeeze UK Household Incomes
UK Government Announces £65 Million Aid Package for Farmers Hit by Severe Drought
UK Economy Grows 0.4% in Second Quarter Despite Energy Market Pressures
UK Issues Emergency Alert as Severe Wildfires Spread Across England and Wales
UK and Finland Discuss European Defence and Continued Support for Ukraine
Nigel Farage Wins Clacton By-Election to Return to the House of Commons
UK Government Deploys Military to Help Fight Wildfires and Bans Disposable Barbecues
UK Records Hottest Day of the Year as Fifth Summer Heatwave Peaks in Southern England
UK Condemns Houthi Actions and Warns of Red Sea Threat to Global Trade
UK and Solomon Islands Open Wildlife Photography Exhibition in Honiara
UK Small Businesses Face Continued Cash Flow and Tax Pressures
Greatham Marsh Restoration Restores Tidal Wetland in Hartlepool After More Than 200 Years
UK Health Regulator Urges University Students to Check Meningitis and Measles Vaccination Status
Mining Remediation Authority Completes Major Ground Stabilization Works in Scottish Community
UK Food Crime Investigators Seize 33 Tonnes of Illegal Food in Multi-Agency Operation
Technical Qualification Uptake Hits Record High as Advanced Mathematics Results Improve
UK Summer Temperatures on Course to Challenge Long-Standing Records, Met Office Says
UK Farmers Bring Forward Cereal Harvests as Drought Threatens Yields
×