London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Sunday, Aug 23, 2026

Channel migrants: MPs criticise use of navy to tackle English Channel crossings

Channel migrants: MPs criticise use of navy to tackle English Channel crossings

MPs have criticised plans for the armed forces to take over English Channel operations to limit migration, with one describing them as a "dog's dinner".

Backbenchers said detail is lacking, while adding it could incentivise people traffickers, helping the Border Force to be used as a "taxi service".

Defence minister James Heappey said the navy would not be intercepting boats.

The Ministry of Defence (MoD) is due to take over command of the operation in the Channel at the end of the month.

Mr Heappey, speaking in the House of Commons, said naval ships would not push back small boats in the Channel, or use sonic weapons - devices that deter people with loud noise - against them.

He did not rule out Border Force - the civilian law enforcement agency from which the MoD will be taking over - using the weapons.

But that led to some backbenchers asking exactly what the Royal Navy would be doing, saying their presence would be an incentive rather than the deterrent intended.

Conservative former minister Sir Edward Leigh asked what the point was of "appointing a Royal Naval admiral to help Border Force to be a more efficient taxi service".

He said people would feel they would be picked up and "taken safely to the UK" - calling it "an embarrassment".

Mr Heappey said military involvement is part of a wider plan from the government which will be announced in coming weeks.

The navy will have control "from a command and control perspective" rather than "from an interdiction or interception perspective", he said.

He had been asked for a statement on the move by Conservative MP Tobias Ellwood after it was confirmed by Home Secretary Priti Patel on Monday.

Mr Ellwood, who chairs the defence committee, said: "This tactic may on the face of it look popular, with 28,000 migrants now crossing every year - send in the navy to sort it out - but it is not the strategy that will solve the movement of migrants."

He later announced the committee would hold a session next week to find out more about how the military will be used in the Channel, saying the decision for the Royal Navy to take over "has taken Parliament - and it seems the MoD - by surprise".

Mr Ellwood said it was clear "the mission is still in the planning phase".


Some MPs claimed the announcement on the armed forces' involvement was one of a series of policies dubbed "operation red meat", aimed at distracting from the government's political problems amid allegations about parties held during lockdown.

Shadow defence secretary John Healey said "the military are there to protect the nation, not to protect Tory ministers".

Philip Hollobone, Conservative MP, said instead of red meat it was "operation dog's dinner" as no details have been given.

The defence minister said more information would be revealed later this month by Prime Minister Boris Johnson.

Mr Hollobone also said he would support the move if its mission statement was to reduce the level of illegal people trafficking.

"But the mission statement as far as I understand it is to lower the number of people landing on their own terms on UK beaches," he said.

"So what the minister has effectively announced with the deployment of Royal Navy vessels is asylum seekers only need to get halfway across the Channel before being intercepted by the Royal Navy.

"This is going to incentivise people traffickers, they'll see the Royal Navy ship on the horizon and they'll say 'point your dinghy in that direction, you only need to get halfway' and the Royal Navy will pick them up."

Instead, he said the Royal Navy had to intercept asylum seekers and return them to France. Mr Heappey said that would be impossible without French permission however, which has not been given.

He added that the MoD had to make sure no one could arrive in the UK without being intercepted, either at sea or as they land.

It is "perfectly appropriate" to use armed forces "to ensure our borders are robust", said the defence minister, who added: "Nobody's pretending that the presence of a rear admiral and a few extra Royal Navy ships solves this as an issue."

Ms Patel said on Monday that the MoD had been commissioned as a "crucial operational partner to protect our Channel against illegal migration".

Rear Admiral Mike Utley, the commander of the UK strike force, has been appointed to co-ordinate the plans.

The number of people who made the crossing last year was treble that of 2020. Over the past two weeks, 773 people have reached the UK by boat - which is more than the total for the first two months of last year.

On 24 November at least 27 people died after their boat sank, in the largest single loss of life in the Channel since records began in 2014.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
Iranian Hackers Shut Down British Power Plant for Four Days in Landmark Cyber Attack
Novak Djokovic Reveals Relentless Self-Doubt and Rejects Retirement in New Documentary
Trump Imposes 50% Tariffs on Canadian Goods After Bilateral Trade Talks Collapse
Australia Combines Indigenous Fire Knowledge With Satellite Tech to Combat Catastrophic Wildfires
Father and Son Jailed in Scotland Over £900,000 Airport Cannabis Smuggling Operation
UK Fraud Reports Surge Sevenfold as Criminals Exploit QR Codes in Parking Meters and Phishing Emails
Brighton Thrash Aston Villa in Four-Goal Opening Half as Manchester City Trail Bournemouth
Erin Patterson Appeals Triple Murder Convictions After Hotel Mixed Sequestered Jury With Prosecution
Bank of England Maintains Close Watch on Banks Amid Global Economic Uncertainty
Warm Weather and Tourism Support UK High Street Spending During Summer
Westminster Faces Continuing Political and Administrative Fallout From Epstein Files Release
UK Invests in Domestic Defence Drone Manufacturing to Strengthen Military Supply Chains
Around Five Million UK Households Face Higher Mortgage Payments by 2028
Bluetongue Virus Cases Rise Across England, Wales and Scotland
UK Government Holds First National Day for Victims and Survivors of Terrorism
Historic Summer Droughts Threaten UK Harvests and Put Further Pressure on Food Prices
UK Economy Holds Up in Second Quarter Despite Global Energy and Geopolitical Pressures
UK Opens National Artificial Intelligence Safety Testing Facility
UK Government Finalizes Plans to Bring Remaining Regional Rail Services Into Public Ownership
Environment Agency Imposes Record Penalties on Water Companies Over Illegal Sewage Discharges
Great British Energy Announces Offshore Wind Partnership in North Sea
UK Government Tightens Planning Rules to Accelerate Housing Development
NHS Launches Digital Overhaul to Cut Elective Care Waiting Lists
Bank of England Signals Interest Rates May Stay Higher for Longer as Inflation Pressures Persist
The rise and fall of Hui Ka Yan, China’s richest man
Woke: Britain Considers Plain Packaging for Cigars as Specialist Shops Warn of Industry Collapse
Britain's Public-Service Productivity Remains Below 2019 as £80 Billion Output Gap Fuels WFH Debate
Mandelson Epstein Case in Jeopardy as U.S. Files Stay Out of Reach
Prince Harry and Six Others Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million After High Court Defeat
Bank of England Holds Interest Rate at 3.75% as Inflation and Energy Risks Persist
UK AI Security Tests Find Autonomous Agent Attempting Malicious Code Injection
UK Economy Grows 0.4% in Second Quarter Amid Global Pressures
UK Joins European Allies in Condemning Israeli Settlement Plans in West Bank E1 Area
Multiple People Killed in A66 Collision Near Middlesbrough Involving Police Vehicle
UK Government Holds First National Day for Victims and Survivors of Terrorism
UK Met Office Warns of Severe Autumn Storms as Strong El Niño Follows Historic Drought
Petrol Bombs Set Luxury Cars Alight Outside Birmingham Wedding as Police Hunt Three Men
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Prince Harry and Co-Claimants Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million Toward Daily Mail Publisher’s Legal Costs
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Reportedly Plan Return to Britain With Their Children
UK Court Ruling Threatens Deportation Plans for Potential Trafficking Victims to Albania
Kemi Badenoch Presses UK Government for Decisions on Rosebank and Jackdaw Oil Fields
UK Foreign Affairs Committee Chair Calls for Ban on Goods from Occupied West Bank
Andy Burnham Government to Place Civil Servants Directly in English Mayoral Offices
Met Office Warns Major El Niño Could Bring Stormier, Wetter Autumn to UK
UK Economy Gains Unexpected Momentum Ahead of Andy Burnham Government’s First Budget
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
×