London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Saturday, Aug 22, 2026

Calls mount, frustration grows over Trudeau's promise to help Hong Kong

Calls mount, frustration grows over Trudeau's promise to help Hong Kong

The federal Liberal government is facing increasingly frustrated and worried calls to help people leave Hong Kong for Canada as China continues to crack down on pro-democracy activists in the former British colony.
The exasperation follows Ottawa's suspension of an extradition treaty with Hong Kong in early July after Beijing passed a national security law for the territory.

Critics say the law is being used to crack down on democracy in Hong Kong and put it more firmly under the communist regime's heel, and violates Beijing's promise to maintain a high degree of autonomy for Hong Kong after China took it over from Britain in 1997.

In early July, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau himself announced the treaty suspension along with a ban on the export of military goods before asserting that the federal government was looking at a variety of additional responses, including on immigration.

The hope for activists, human-rights groups and others at the time was that the measures were the first in a series of actions aimed at supporting the people of Hong Kong, particularly those trying to fight China's increasing control of the territory.

"They suspended the extradition agreement between Hong Kong and Canada, which was a great step and I thought signalled a really positive direction for where we were going to be moving forward," said Ai-Men Lau of Alliance Canada Hong Kong.

Almost two months later, however, neither Trudeau nor his government has made any new pronouncements on Hong Kong despite Chinese authorities' having conducted several waves of arrests as part of a crackdown on pro-democracy activists and media.

That stands in contrast to Britain and Australia, both of which have announced some measures to make it easier for people to leave Hong Kong and make new lives in those two countries.

"As the prime minister said, we will continue to support the many connections between Canada and Hong Kong while also standing up for its people," said Mathieu Genest, a spokesman for Immigration Minister Marco Mendicino.

"Canada is exploring measures beyond those announced -- including exploring immigration options -- and we will have more to say in due course."

Lau and others say they have been hearing the same message from the government for weeks even as Beijing has treated pro-democracy activists and others who have criticized the Chinese government's actions in Hong Kong increasingly harshly.

That includes the arrests of 12 people over the weekend after the boat they were travelling on from Hong Kong to Taiwan was intercepted by the Chinese coast guard and the arrest of media tycoon and free-speech advocate Jimmy Lai earlier this month.

"It is getting really dire in Hong Kong," Lau said. "This government needs to act now, and we've been saying that for months. I just don't understand why there's such a delay on it."

The concern is that as the federal government hesitates, Chinese authorities will make the already difficult task of leaving Hong Kong even harder, particularly for those who have spoken out against Beijing.

"The biggest challenge that refugees from Hong Kong are increasingly going to face is: how do you get out?" said Alex Neve, secretary general of Amnesty International Canada, which is among those asking Ottawa to do more.

"The prospect of fleeing across the border is not an option. Obviously fleeing across the border is fleeing into the mouth of the dragon. That is not an option here."

Among the recommendations that have been made to the government is making it easier for Canadians to bring family members here from Hong Kong, measures to attract students and skilled workers who want to leave, and opening the doors to asylum-seekers.

"Every single immigration stream that we have, we could do something," said NDP immigration critic Jenny Kwan, whose family immigrated from Hong Kong when she was nine years old.

"And I've been saying to the government: Do anything. But so far they have done nothing, and that is such a shame. It's just so astounding that the Trudeau government has chosen not to provide that lifeboat to the people of Hong Kong."
Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
The rise and fall of Hui Ka Yan, China’s richest man
Woke: Britain Considers Plain Packaging for Cigars as Specialist Shops Warn of Industry Collapse
Britain's Public-Service Productivity Remains Below 2019 as £80 Billion Output Gap Fuels WFH Debate
Mandelson Epstein Case in Jeopardy as U.S. Files Stay Out of Reach
Prince Harry and Six Others Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million After High Court Defeat
Petrol Bombs Set Luxury Cars Alight Outside Birmingham Wedding as Police Hunt Three Men
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Prince Harry and Co-Claimants Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million Toward Daily Mail Publisher’s Legal Costs
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Reportedly Plan Return to Britain With Their Children
UK Court Ruling Threatens Deportation Plans for Potential Trafficking Victims to Albania
Kemi Badenoch Presses UK Government for Decisions on Rosebank and Jackdaw Oil Fields
UK Foreign Affairs Committee Chair Calls for Ban on Goods from Occupied West Bank
Andy Burnham Government to Place Civil Servants Directly in English Mayoral Offices
Met Office Warns Major El Niño Could Bring Stormier, Wetter Autumn to UK
UK Economy Gains Unexpected Momentum Ahead of Andy Burnham Government’s First Budget
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Royal Navy to Accelerate DragonFire Laser Deployment Against Growing Drone Threat
Northern Ireland Approves Five Hundred Million Pound Belfast Harbour Expansion
Great British Railways Takes Full Control of Avanti West Coast as Rail Nationalisation Reaches Final Stage
UK AI Safety Institute Calls for Mandatory Security Audits of Advanced AI Models
Scotland Secures Three Billion Pounds for Floating Offshore Wind Hub in Aberdeen
Government Overrides Local Councils to Approve Green Belt Housing Across Southern England
UK and EU Move Toward Mutual Recognition of Food Standards to Ease Cross-Channel Trade
Government Plans Multibillion-Pound Private Healthcare Expansion to Cut NHS Surgical Backlogs
Bank of England Signals Faster Rate Cuts as Inflation Falls Below the Two Percent Target
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
Moderna Shares Surge After Positive Personalized Skin Cancer Trial Results
UK Markets Watch US National Debt Surpass Forty Trillion Dollars
UK Broadcasters Urge Government to Invest in Digital Participation and Broadband
CVC Capital Partners and Standard Life Launch Two Billion Pound Pension Risk Transfer Venture
UK Private Sector Productivity Growth Accelerates in Second Quarter
UK Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband Condemns Israeli E1 Settlement Tender
UK Watchdog Investigates Trainline, Virgin Atlantic and RED Driving School Over Hidden Fees
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Plan Move to Private Home Outside London
UK Retail Sentiment Improves as Summer Spending Boosts Consumer Confidence
UK Aid Cuts Draw Warnings From Charities Over Humanitarian Consequences
UK Financial Conduct Authority Issues Guidance for Motor Finance Redress Scheme
UK Met Office Launches Aviation Programme to Reduce Climate Impact of Persistent Contrails
Former UK Civil Service Chief Received Record 500,000 Pound Severance Payment
West Midlands to Bring Bus Network Under Public Franchising Model
UK Government Drops Plan to Relax Affordable Housing Requirements After Backlash
×