London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Sunday, Aug 23, 2026

Brixton Academy’s licence suspended by council after Asake crush

Brixton Academy’s licence suspended by council after Asake crush

Concerns were raised about ‘strength of the front doors’ nearly three years before fatal incident at concert last week

Brixton 02 Academy has been closed temporarily a week after two people were killed in a crowd crush in the foyer.

The iconic venue’s licence was suspended on Thursday by Lambeth council until a full hearing to decide its future can be held on January 16.

The Met Police asked the council to temporarily close the venue following the incident on Thursday, December 15, where a "crowd forced their way into" Afrobeats artist Asake concert.

Explaining the decision to close the venue , Cllr Fred Cowell, chair of the council’s licensing sub committee said: “Given the severity of events of December 15, the risks to public safety as a consequence of serious disorder arising from a lack of crowd control at the front doors of the venue remain high if the venue was able to operate as before.”

Security guard dog handler Gaby Hutchinson, 23, was on duty when ticketless fans stormed in last Thursday.

The 23-year-old, from Gravesend in Kent, died in hospital on Monday from injuries sustained in the incident.

Rebecca Ikumelo, 33, from Newham, east London, died in hospital on Saturday and a 21-year-old woman remains seriously ill in hospital. Police say all three were in the foyer of the building when the crush occurred.

A police statement signed by PC Jinelle Caldinez called for an immediate suspension of the licence so police can conduct a “large and complex” investigation into the fatal crush.

In a report presented to the licensing committee, they wrote: “Upon arrival at the venue it was apparent to officers that security staff had completely lost control in regards to crowd control.

“Crowds had forcibly breached the doors of the venue and were seen in large numbers to be forcing their way into the event.

“Many people were crushed by the sheer force of the crowd and many were injured, some seriously.”

The committee also heard details of an earlier incident in February 2020 where crowds again pushed up against the front doors.

Met Police solicitor Gerald Gouriet told councillors: “That a large crowd in front of the Brixton Academy meant police had to call for more units.

“Staff tried to keep the locked doors closed as crowd pushed against them. Staff were getting crushed against the doors. A fight broke out and it took about an hour for police to disperse the crowd.

“Concerns were also raised about the strength of the front of the doors.”

He claimed the earlier incident showed last Thursday’s fatal crush was not a one-off, adding: “While what happened last Thursday of course was exceptional no-one should begin to think it was unique and could not happen again.”

Rejecting an offer from the venue’s management that Brixton Academy would remain voluntarily closed, he added: “It’s not right to leave that decision in the hands of the licensee.

“There is a legitimate expectation from the family and friends of those who died that there will be something done.

“To do nothing is unthinkable.”


Police outside the venue

Steven Walsh, representing Academy Music Group, who run 02 Academies across England, disputed that concerns were raised about the strength of the doors.

He said: “The management are yet to be interviewed and the same applies to the security team.

“The licence holder hasn’t even seen its own CCTV of events because it has been seized by police quite properly.

“It is clearly far too early, as the police accept, to draw any conclusions as to the causes of the tragedy or to point the finger of blame at any party.”

“This was a tragic exceptional case on December 15.”

He added: “There is a real danger at this early stage there might be a perception of prejudgement.

“The only reason to impose a suspension is if there was a genuine concern there might be a recurrence of the events before a full review.

“It’s not a realistic prospect. As night follows day if the premises is closed and there will be no events, then there is no prospect of any potential reoccurrence.”

The council said Mr Walsh accepted that any voluntary licence suspension would not be legally enforceable.

Nigel Downs, general manager of the venue for the past 26 years, told the committee before the decision that gigs in early January will have to be rescheduled.He said: “We have rescheduled one show already and cancelled New Year’s Eve.

“We held 173 shows this year and have 140 planned for next year.

“In January we have 11 shows - which are mostly sold out - already pencilled in.

“Each event is individually risk assessed some events are lower risk than others.”

Rebecca Ikumelo died in the crush


An open letter signed by Lambeth councillors said: “Our thoughts are with the family and friends of Rebecca Ikumelo and Gaby Hutchinson who lost their lives, as well as with those who remain in hospital and those suffering the trauma of witnessing such distressing scenes at one of our borough’s live music venues.

“This review will be part of ongoing efforts to both seek answers and ensure such an incident never happens again.”

Gaby Hutchinson (Left)


A separate criminal investigation is being carried out by detectives from the Met’s Specialist Crime Command with officers reviewing CCTV, phone footage, speaking to witnesses and carrying out forensic examinations.

An online page for the submission of photos, videos and information has been set up with Lambeth council urging anyone who can help detail events to use this site.

The venue said its “heartfelt condolences” were with the victim’s family and friends.

“We continue to be devastated by this tragic situation and are fully supporting the ongoing investigation”, they added.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
Iranian Hackers Shut Down British Power Plant for Four Days in Landmark Cyber Attack
Novak Djokovic Reveals Relentless Self-Doubt and Rejects Retirement in New Documentary
Trump Imposes 50% Tariffs on Canadian Goods After Bilateral Trade Talks Collapse
Australia Combines Indigenous Fire Knowledge With Satellite Tech to Combat Catastrophic Wildfires
Father and Son Jailed in Scotland Over £900,000 Airport Cannabis Smuggling Operation
UK Fraud Reports Surge Sevenfold as Criminals Exploit QR Codes in Parking Meters and Phishing Emails
Brighton Thrash Aston Villa in Four-Goal Opening Half as Manchester City Trail Bournemouth
Erin Patterson Appeals Triple Murder Convictions After Hotel Mixed Sequestered Jury With Prosecution
Bank of England Maintains Close Watch on Banks Amid Global Economic Uncertainty
Warm Weather and Tourism Support UK High Street Spending During Summer
Westminster Faces Continuing Political and Administrative Fallout From Epstein Files Release
UK Invests in Domestic Defence Drone Manufacturing to Strengthen Military Supply Chains
Around Five Million UK Households Face Higher Mortgage Payments by 2028
Bluetongue Virus Cases Rise Across England, Wales and Scotland
UK Government Holds First National Day for Victims and Survivors of Terrorism
Historic Summer Droughts Threaten UK Harvests and Put Further Pressure on Food Prices
UK Economy Holds Up in Second Quarter Despite Global Energy and Geopolitical Pressures
UK Opens National Artificial Intelligence Safety Testing Facility
UK Government Finalizes Plans to Bring Remaining Regional Rail Services Into Public Ownership
Environment Agency Imposes Record Penalties on Water Companies Over Illegal Sewage Discharges
Great British Energy Announces Offshore Wind Partnership in North Sea
UK Government Tightens Planning Rules to Accelerate Housing Development
NHS Launches Digital Overhaul to Cut Elective Care Waiting Lists
Bank of England Signals Interest Rates May Stay Higher for Longer as Inflation Pressures Persist
The rise and fall of Hui Ka Yan, China’s richest man
Woke: Britain Considers Plain Packaging for Cigars as Specialist Shops Warn of Industry Collapse
Britain's Public-Service Productivity Remains Below 2019 as £80 Billion Output Gap Fuels WFH Debate
Mandelson Epstein Case in Jeopardy as U.S. Files Stay Out of Reach
Prince Harry and Six Others Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million After High Court Defeat
Bank of England Holds Interest Rate at 3.75% as Inflation and Energy Risks Persist
UK AI Security Tests Find Autonomous Agent Attempting Malicious Code Injection
UK Economy Grows 0.4% in Second Quarter Amid Global Pressures
UK Joins European Allies in Condemning Israeli Settlement Plans in West Bank E1 Area
Multiple People Killed in A66 Collision Near Middlesbrough Involving Police Vehicle
UK Government Holds First National Day for Victims and Survivors of Terrorism
UK Met Office Warns of Severe Autumn Storms as Strong El Niño Follows Historic Drought
Petrol Bombs Set Luxury Cars Alight Outside Birmingham Wedding as Police Hunt Three Men
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Prince Harry and Co-Claimants Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million Toward Daily Mail Publisher’s Legal Costs
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Reportedly Plan Return to Britain With Their Children
UK Court Ruling Threatens Deportation Plans for Potential Trafficking Victims to Albania
Kemi Badenoch Presses UK Government for Decisions on Rosebank and Jackdaw Oil Fields
UK Foreign Affairs Committee Chair Calls for Ban on Goods from Occupied West Bank
Andy Burnham Government to Place Civil Servants Directly in English Mayoral Offices
Met Office Warns Major El Niño Could Bring Stormier, Wetter Autumn to UK
UK Economy Gains Unexpected Momentum Ahead of Andy Burnham Government’s First Budget
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
×