London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Saturday, Nov 29, 2025

Boris Johnson: it looks like P&O Ferries sackings broke law

PM tells MPs ferry firm could face fine as its boss apologises over sudden firing of 800 staff

Boris Johnson has said it appears P&O Ferries broke the law when it suddenly sacked 800 workers, and that the government would take legal action.

The prime minister said if the company was found guilty, it could face fines running into the millions – but ignored Labour calls for government intervention to reinstate workers or to sanction P&O Ferries’ parent company, DP World.

Johnson made the comments during prime minister’s questions, shortly after the boss of P&O Ferries issued a public apology for the sacking last Thursday of almost 800 UK-based crew contracted via Jersey.

Pressed on the issue by the Labour leader, Keir Starmer, Johnson said: “We will not sit by, because under section 194 of the Trade Union and Labour Relations Act of 1992 it looks to me as though the company concerned has broken the law, and we will be taking action, therefore, and we will be encouraging workers themselves to take action under the 1996 Employment Rights Act.”

He said they would also be taking steps to protect all mariners working in UK waters and ensure that they are all paid the living wage.

However, Johnson ruled out taking further action against the Dubai-based owner of P&O Ferries, DP World, which is to benefit from £50m of tax breaks by running two of the government’s new freeports.

Asked by Starmer to “guarantee that these companies will not get a penny more of taxpayers’ money or a single tax break until they reinstate the workforce”, Johnson replied: “We will take them to court, we will defend the rights of British workers. What we will not do is launch a wholehearted campaign as they would want against overseas investments because that is completely wrong, and wrong for those workers.”

Starmer said other workers would fear for their jobs if P&O “got away with it” and would take no comfort from the prime minister’s “half-arsed bluster and waffle today”.

Johnson insisted: “P&O plainly aren’t going to get away with it any more than any other company that treat its employees in that scandalous way.”

Meanwhile P&O Ferries’ boss, who is due to be hauled before MPs on Thursday, said he was sorry and “wished there was another way”.

Having suspended sailings and sacked 786 people on eight ships around the UK last week, many by video message, to replace them with cheaper crew earning as little as £1.80 an hour, Peter Hebblethwaite, the chief executive of P&O Ferries, said: “I want to say sorry to the people affected and their families for the impact it’s had on them, and also to the 2,200 people who still work for P&O and will have been asked a lot of difficult questions about this.”

He said he had been speaking face to face with seafarers and their partners since the sackings. “They’ve lost their jobs and there is anger and shock and I completely understand.”

However, he said: “We needed fundamental change to make us viable. All other routes led to the closure of P&O Ferries. I wish there was another way and I’m sorry.”

The RMT general secretary, Mick Lynch, said: “We have no interest in half-hearted apologies which do absolutely nothing to get our member their jobs and livelihoods back.”

He added: “It is appalling that the government is scared to take action against DP World. Of course P&O need to be taken to court but that by itself won’t get our members’ jobs back.”

About 600 crew employed via P&O agencies in France and the Netherlands have kept their jobs. Up to 250 hired in Calais and 380 in Rotterdam under local contracts were not fired, P&O Ferries said. The UK crew were hired via an agency in Jersey.

On Tuesday P&O Ferries wrote to the business secretary, Kwasi Kwarteng, saying it had not acted illegally as it had notified the relevant authorities for its ships flagged in Cyprus, Bermuda and the Bahamas – although only on 17 March, the morning of the sackings.

A spokesperson for the business department said it was reviewing P&O Ferries’ explanations, adding: “We will continue to work at speed with the Insolvency Service to consider if legal action is required.”

Kwarteng had also asked the Employment Agency Standards Inspectorate to investigate workers being paid below minimum wage, they added.

The TUC said P&O should face legal action for its failure to consult with staff. Its general secretary, Frances O’Grady, said: “All the signs point to P&O breaking the law. UK law requires companies to consult with workers and unions before making redundancies. The company are clear that they did not do this.”

A Department for Transport spokesperson said ministers had instructed a total examination of any contract in place with P&O Ferries and DP World across government.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
250 Still Missing in the Massive Fire, 94 Killed. One Day After the Disaster: Survivor Rescued on the 16th Floor
Trump: National Guard Soldier Who Was Shot in Washington Has Died; Second Soldier Fighting for His Life
UK Chancellor Reeves Defends Tax Rises as Essential to Reduce Child Poverty and Stabilise Public Finances
No Evidence Found for Claim That UK Schools Are Shifting to Teaching American English
European Powers Urge Israel to Halt West Bank Settler Violence Amid Surge in Attacks
"I Would Have Given Her a Kidney": She Lent Bezos’s Ex-Wife $1,000 — and Received Millions in Return
European States Approve First-ever Military-Grade Surveillance Network via ESA
UK to Slash Key Pension Tax Perk, Targeting High Earners Under New Budget
UK Government Announces £150 Annual Cut to Household Energy Bills Through Levy Reforms
UK Court Hears Challenge to Ban on Palestine Action as Critics Decry Heavy-Handed Measures
Investors Rush Into UK Gilts and Sterling After Budget Eases Fiscal Concerns
UK to Raise Online Betting Taxes by £1.1 Billion Under New Budget — Firms Warn of Fallout
Lamine Yamal? The ‘Heir to Messi’ Lost to Barcelona — and the Kingdom Is in a Frenzy
Warner Music Group Drops Suit Against Suno, Launches Licensed AI-Music Deal
HP to Cut up to 6,000 Jobs Globally as It Ramps Up AI Integration
MediaWorld Sold iPad Air for €15 — Then Asked Customers to Return Them or Pay More
UK Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer Promises ‘Full-Time’ Education for All Children as School Attendance Slips
UK Extends Sugar Tax to Sweetened Milkshakes and Lattes in 2028 Health Push
UK Government Backs £49 Billion Plan for Heathrow Third Runway and Expansion
UK Gambling Firms Report £1bn Surge in Annual Profits as Pressure Mounts for Higher Betting Taxes
UK Shares Advance Ahead of Budget as Financials and Consumer Staples Lead Gains
Domino’s UK CEO Andrew Rennie Steps Down Amid Strategic Reset
UK Economy Stalls as Reeves Faces First Budget Test
UK Economy’s Weak Start Adds Pressure on Prime Minister Starmer
UK Government Acknowledges Billionaire Exodus Amid Tax Rise Concerns
UK Budget 2025: Markets Brace as Chancellor Faces Fiscal Tightrope
UK Unveils Strategic Plan to Secure Critical Mineral Supply Chains
UK Taskforce Calls for Radical Reset of Nuclear Regulation to Cut Costs and Accelerate Build
UK Government Launches Consultation on Major Overhaul of Settlement Rules
Google Struggles to Meet AI Demand as Infrastructure, Energy and Supply-Chain Gaps Deepen
Car Parts Leader Warns Europe Faces Heavy Job Losses in ‘Darwinian’ Auto Shake-Out
Arsenal Move Six Points Clear After Eze’s Historic Hat-Trick in Derby Rout
Wealthy New Yorkers Weigh Second Homes as the ‘Mamdani Effect’ Ripples Through Luxury Markets
Families Accuse OpenAI of Enabling ‘AI-Driven Delusions’ After Multiple Suicides
UK Unveils Critical-Minerals Strategy to Break China Supply-Chain Grip
Taylor Swift’s “The Fate of Ophelia” Extends U.K. No. 1 Run to Five Weeks
UK VPN Sign-Ups Surge by Over 1,400 % as Age-Verification Law Takes Effect
Former MEP Nathan Gill Jailed for Over Ten Years After Taking Pro-Russia Bribes
Majority of UK Entrepreneurs Regard Government as ‘Anti-Business’, Survey Shows
UK’s Starmer and US President Trump Align as Geneva Talks Probe Ukraine Peace Plan
UK Prime Minister Signals Former Prince Andrew Should Testify to US Epstein Inquiry
Royal Navy Deploys HMS Severn to Shadow Russian Corvette and Tanker Off UK Coast
China’s Wedding Boom: Nightclubs, Mountains and a Demographic Reset
Fugees Founding Member Pras Michel Sentenced to 14 Years in High-Profile US Foreign Influence Case
WhatsApp’s Unexpected Rise Reshapes American Messaging Habits
United States: Judge Dressed Up as Elvis During Hearings – and Was Forced to Resign
Johnson Blasts ‘Incoherent’ Covid Inquiry Findings Amid Report’s Harsh Critique of His Government
Lord Rothermere Secures £500 Million Deal to Acquire Telegraph Titles
Maduro Tightens Security Measures as U.S. Strike Threat Intensifies
U.S. Envoys Deliver Ultimatum to Ukraine: Sign Peace Deal by Thursday or Risk Losing American Support
×