London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Monday, Aug 17, 2026

The next presidential debate: The two old Peddler and Hawker Will Be Muted During Debate

The next presidential debate: The two old Peddler and Hawker Will Be Muted During Debate

Finally, Biden and Trump will have to listen and not only to shout at each other. The Commission on Presidential Debates will mute the microphones of Joe Biden and President Donald Trump for parts of Thursday’s encounter.

There are 15 days until the election and 56 days until the Electoral College meets.

A court ruled that Texas could reject mail-in ballots without notifying voters when signatures don’t match what’s on file. And an Indian-American political action committee will spend $10 million to get the vote out for Biden, the Democratic nominee, and his running mate Kamala Harris.


Biden, Trump Will Be Muted at Times During Debate


Trump and Biden will be muted for parts of the final presidential debate on Thursday, the Commission on Presidential Debates said Monday night.

Each candidate will have an uninterrupted two minutes to speak at the beginning of each of the six 15-minute segments of the debate at Belmont University in Nashville. Both candidates’ mics will then be turned on for “a period of open discussion” in the segment’s remaining time, the commission said in a statement.

The commission said both campaigns “this week again reaffirmed their agreement to the two-minute, uninterrupted rule,” adding that the measures weren’t a change of the rules, but were intended to make sure the existing rules were enforced.

The decision comes after the commission said it was examining changes in response to the chaotic first debate, on Sept. 29, when Trump repeatedly interrupted Biden and both candidates talked over the moderator, Chris Wallace.

“We realize, after discussions with both campaigns, that neither campaign may be totally satisfied with the measures announced today,” the commission said. “We are comfortable that these actions strike the right balance and that they are in the interest of the American people, for whom these debates are held.”

The Trump campaign had objected to any change of the rules. The president withdrew from the scheduled second debate on Oct. 15 after the nonpartisan panel announced that it would be virtual as a precaution against Covid-19. -- Jennifer Epstein

Court Upholds Texas’s Rule on Mail-In Ballot Signatures


A federal appeals court ruled that the state doesn’t have to notify voters when local election officials reject mail-in ballots, in a setback for voting-rights activists.

The decision by the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals blocked a trial judge’s order requiring Texas to give all voters the chance to confirm their identities if their ballot is rejected because their signatures don’t match what’s on file.

Activists complained that voters who don’t sign their names the same way every time, as many don’t, risk disenfranchisement by election officials who have no training in signature matching.

The 5th Circuit said that Texas’s interest in protecting against election fraud outweighed the voting advocates’ concern. It also said the trial judge’s September change in Texas’s procedures came too close to the election.

Texas Republicans have pushed hard to limit voting by mail in the state, a historic GOP stronghold that has become a battleground. Texas is leading the country in ballots cast in the 2020 presidential election so far, with more than 4 million as of Sunday, the Houston Chronicle reported. -- Laurel Brubaker Calkins

Indian-American PAC to Spend $10 Million to Get Out the Vote


A political action committee focused on engaging Indian-Americans is spending $10 million in the final weeks of the election, aiming to turn out a small but critical voting bloc in swing states to support the Democratic ticket and Indian Americans running for office.

IMPACT is investing the money in established organizations including House Majority PAC to support paid media campaigns and turnout efforts in Arizona, North Carolina, Pennsylvania and Texas.

The group, which only spent $350,000 during the 2018 midterms, has seen a surge of fundraising, in large part because of Harris’s selection as Biden’s running mate. Harris is the first Black and Indian-American woman on a major presidential party ticket.

“With an Indian American on the presidential ticket for the first time in history, and a record number of Indian-American candidates running for office, Indian-American voters are poised to exert a considerable amount of influence in this year’s election,” the group’s executive director Neil Makhija said in a statement.

Indian Americans overwhelmingly support Biden, with 72% planning to vote for him compared to 22% planning to vote for Trump, according to a survey by the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. Yet research has shown Indian Americans are among the least likely to be contacted by campaigns.

There are projected to be 1.4 million Indian Americans voting in November and nearly 500,000 in the key battleground states of Florida, Pennsylvania and Michigan. “Indian-American political engagement was thought of cute but relegated to the kids’ table,” Hari Sevugan, a senior adviser to the PAC, said. “This is the kind of investment and mobilization that gets you a seat at the adults’ table.” 

Trump Says He Might Win Two More Unlikely States


Trump keeps saying that he might win states such as California and New York where he’s down by double-digits in the polls.

On Monday, it was New Hampshire and New Mexico.

On a phone call with reporters, the president argued that he will win the battleground states of Arizona, North Carolina, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin, though he didn’t mention Florida or Michigan. He also said he would win Georgia, Ohio and Iowa, typically Republican states that are unexpectedly competitive.

And he added that he had good feelings about New Hampshire, where he is down 11 points in the RealClearPolitics average of polls, and New Mexico, where he is down 14.5 points.

“I think we have a really good shot in New Hampshire,” he said. Later he added, “I think we can win” in New Mexico. -- Mario Parker

Trump Team Still Targeting Minnesota as a Battleground


Trump has long mused about expanding the battlegrounds to include states like New Hampshire or even California and New York.

But there’s only one expansion state that the campaign remains focused on: Minnesota.

Two recent emails to supporters swap Minnesota for Michigan in the list of battlegrounds, saying the election is “going to come down to a few swing states like North Carolina, Minnesota, Arizona, Florida, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin.”

Trump held rallies in the Minnesota cities of Duluth and Bemidji in September. In a call Monday, Vice President Mike Pence aide Marc Short said the vice president would likely campaign there, too.

”I do believe that Wisconsin is on our agenda for next week and I think Minnesota will be as well,” he said.

Trump is behind Democratic nominee Joe Biden by 6.6 points in Minnesota in the RealClearPolitics average of polls, roughly on par with Michigan and Wisconsin’s averages. With 10 electors, though, it gives Trump more ways to get to 270 if he loses Michigan. -- Mario Parker

Pence Hits the Road to Stump for Trump in Final Weeks


Pence is heading out on the campaign trail to urge Republicans to come home, again.

As he did in the waning weeks of the 2016 campaign, the former congressman and governor is boosting his travel and the number of campaign rallies with 15 days left until the election, his chief of staff Marc Short said Monday.

Pence will focus heavily on Midwest battleground states. Pence also will travel to Maine’s second congressional district on Monday and then to Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, his 10th trip this year to that crucial swing state. He’ll visit Pennsylvania again on Friday, Short said.

Next week, Pence and Trump may begin to appear at rallies together, likely starting at an event in Pennsylvania on Oct. 26, Short said. The campaign is relying on Pence’s background as the former governor of Indiana in a push to court Midwest voters. Pence, in those places, has been touting the Trump administration’s agenda on trade and manufacturing.

“It’s a message that resonates in the Midwest. The primary focus will be the economy and trade on those trips,” Short said.

In Pennsylvania, Pence has attacked Biden and his running mate Senator Kamala Harris, on previous comments they’ve made about not supporting fracking, which has prompted a natural gas boom. Biden has said he won’t ban fracking, but won’t support new fracking operations. -- Mario Parker

Republican Senators Start to Distance Themselves From Trump


One Republican senator won’t vote for Trump’s Supreme Court nominee. Another says he disagreed with Trump on key issues, privately. And a third said Trump has “flirted with White supremacists” and “kisses dictators’ butts.”

The remarks from three Republican senators from very different states show the president’s polling woes are starting to hurt his otherwise lock-tight standing among GOP senators.

At a debate Thursday night, Senator Susan Collins of Maine again said she would not vote for Supreme Court nominee Amy Coney Barrett because of the timing. Trump tweeted that winning over Collins was “not worth the work!”


In a recent interview with the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Texas Senator John Cornyn said he’s disagreed with Trump on China, the deficit and coronavirus stimulus, but kept his concerns private. Trump has not tweeted about him.

And Nebraska Senator Ben Sasse lashed out at Trump in a telephone town hall last week, saying he “spends like a drunken sailor,” “mocks evangelicals behind closed doors” and refused to take the coronavirus pandemic seriously. In response, Trump called him “stupid and obnoxious” and “an embarrassment to the Great State of Nebraska.”

 

All three senators are on the ballot in November, with Collins considered endangered, Cornyn still the favorite but facing an unexpectedly strong opponent, and Sasse cruising to re-election.

Trump Mocks Biden’s ‘Listen to the Scientists’ Argument


Trump did an impression of Biden saying he would “listen to the scientists” as he mocked his opponent’s approach to the pandemic.

During a rally Sunday in Carson City, Nevada, Trump argued that cities and states should “open up” and have fewer restrictions designed to limit the spread of the coronavirus and claimed Biden would restrict them further.

“He’s going to want us to lock down,” he said, straightening his spine and putting his hands at his side as he affected a serious demeanor. “He’ll ‘listen to the scientists.’”

Biden has repeatedly said he would “listen to the scientists” on how to handle the pandemic and criticized Trump for denouncing public health measures like restrictions on shops and restaurants and mask-wearing requirements.

Trump went on to say that if he had listened to the scientists the country “would be in a massive depression.”

But Biden spokesman Andrew Bates said that Trump’s attacks on science made the economic situation worse.

Donald Trump tanked the strong economy he inherited from the Obama-Biden administration by continually discounting and attacking warnings from the scientific and medical experts working around the clock to save lives,” he said.

The unemployment rate in September was 7.9%, down from a high of 14.7% shortly after the pandemic began in April, but still above the 4.7% it was when Trump took office in January of 2017. -- Josh Wingrove

Biden Ad Encourages Trump to Leave


Trump keeps joking he won’t come back to states that don’t vote for him. The Biden campaign’s latest ad encourages him to do so.

The minute-long ad features Trump saying at recent rallies in Iowa, Minnesota, Ohio, Florida and North Carolina that he won’t return.

“I may never have to come back here again if I don’t get Iowa,” Trump said last week in Des Moines. “I’ll never be back.”

The ad ends with Trump’s remarks on Friday that if he doesn’t win “maybe I’ll have to leave the country, I don’t know.”

After a beat, the ad shows text on the screen: “What he said.”

Senate Ad Warns Voters About Candidate Who Dropped Out


Third-party candidate Bill Bledsoe dropped out of the South Carolina Senate race earlier this month and endorsed Senator Lindsey Graham.

But he’s the star of a new ad -- from Graham’s Democratic challenger.

An ad from former state Democratic Party chairman Jaime Harrison warns voters to be wary of Bledsoe, who it says is “too conservative for South Carolina.” It then notes that he opposes all abortions and gun control laws and supported Trump “from day one.”

All of those things, of course, would be a draw for some of the state’s most conservative voters, who have long been skeptical of Graham.

Bledsoe also ran as a third-party candidate against Senator Tim Scott in 2016, receiving 2% of the vote. A New York Times/Siena College poll last week showed Graham up 6 percentage points over Harrison, with a 4.5-point margin of error.


Comments

Oh ya 6 year ago
And they took the talk about foreign policy out of the talks so biden would not have to talk about himself and his crack addict son selling joes office to china. And the indian american vote is so they they try to elect biden so he will not stop all of India and Pakistan from coming over to take jobs away from Americans. Folks you might not like trump but if you love your country vote for trump at least he is fighting to keep America America

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
Sarah Ferguson Reportedly Retreats to Late Ex-Boyfriend's Swiss Chalet
Cristiano Ronaldo and Georgina Rodríguez Sign Prenup Protecting Their Separate Fortunes
Thieves Steal Antonello da Messina Renaissance Masterpieces From Sicilian Museum
Better.com Founder Who Fired 900 Employees on Zoom Is Ousted as CEO
Italian Speed Camera Issues Nearly 32,000 Fines in 10 Weeks, Worth More Than €3 Million
AI Manager at San Francisco Store Recommends Firing Human Employee
Google Launches Pixel 11 With Gemini AI at the Center of Its Hardware Strategy
Campaigners Press Government to Strengthen Rights for Four Million Gig Workers
Government Considers Higher Private Rents to Spread Asylum Accommodation Across UK
UK Moves to Protect Historic Pubs From Conversion Into Housing and Offices
Nigel Farage Wins Clacton By-Election to Return to House of Commons
British Manufacturers Report Rising Cybersecurity Threats Across Industrial Supply Chains
Royal Navy Increases Monitoring of Russian Ships in UK Waters by 25 Percent
England Adds More Than 350 Medical Training Posts to Strengthen NHS Capacity
NHS Waiting Lists Over 52 Weeks Rise by More Than 11,000 Patients
Brent Crude Near $88 Raises Fresh UK Energy Cost Concerns
UK Treasury Warns Prolonged Strait of Hormuz Disruption Could Cut 2027 Growth to 0.3 Percent
UK Economy Grows 0.4 Percent in Second Quarter as Energy and Inflation Risks Persist
UK Heatwave Triggers Emergency Alert as Government Unveils £65 Million Farm Support Package
Reform UK Unveils Plan to Cut Welfare Spending by More Than £50 Billion a Year
Prime Minister Andy Burnham Praised Extinction Rebellion for Doing a 'Great Service'
UK Wildfire Phone Alert Triggers Backlash as Users Switch Off Emergency Warnings
Heathrow Roads Reopen After Burst Water Main Floods Access to Terminals 2 and 3
Former NBA Players Enes Kanter Freedom and Royce White Say They Will Enter 2027 WNBA Draft
Former Cambridge Professor Jason Arday Found Dead Days After Resigning Amid Plagiarism Row
US Appeals Court Rules AI Agent's Website Actions Are Legally Attributed to the User
France's Constitutional Council Blocks Social Media Ban for Children Under 15
Liechtenstein Changes Royal Succession Rules to Allow Women to Inherit the Throne
Women Allege Rape and Sexual Abuse at British Army College for Teenage Recruits
Minnesota: Two independent investigators posed as Muslims (one wearing a burqa) and showed how they could vote in elections without identification.
UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham Takes Regional Tour to Highlight Local Infrastructure and Environmental Problems
Nigel Farage Wins Clacton By-Election to Return to the House of Commons
Bank of England Warns Rising Inflation Could Squeeze UK Household Incomes
UK Government Announces £65 Million Aid Package for Farmers Hit by Severe Drought
UK Economy Grows 0.4% in Second Quarter Despite Energy Market Pressures
UK Issues Emergency Alert as Severe Wildfires Spread Across England and Wales
UK and Finland Discuss European Defence and Continued Support for Ukraine
Nigel Farage Wins Clacton By-Election to Return to the House of Commons
UK Government Deploys Military to Help Fight Wildfires and Bans Disposable Barbecues
UK Records Hottest Day of the Year as Fifth Summer Heatwave Peaks in Southern England
UK Condemns Houthi Actions and Warns of Red Sea Threat to Global Trade
UK and Solomon Islands Open Wildlife Photography Exhibition in Honiara
UK Small Businesses Face Continued Cash Flow and Tax Pressures
Greatham Marsh Restoration Restores Tidal Wetland in Hartlepool After More Than 200 Years
UK Health Regulator Urges University Students to Check Meningitis and Measles Vaccination Status
Mining Remediation Authority Completes Major Ground Stabilization Works in Scottish Community
UK Food Crime Investigators Seize 33 Tonnes of Illegal Food in Multi-Agency Operation
Technical Qualification Uptake Hits Record High as Advanced Mathematics Results Improve
UK Summer Temperatures on Course to Challenge Long-Standing Records, Met Office Says
UK Farmers Bring Forward Cereal Harvests as Drought Threatens Yields
×