London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Sunday, Aug 23, 2026

888 app plan to protect women ‘sticking plaster that reinforces victim blaming’

888 app plan to protect women ‘sticking plaster that reinforces victim blaming’

Activists say UK government-backed proposal places onus on women to safeguard themselves rather than address societal problems
Labour and campaigners have criticised a government-backed proposal for a service to protect women travelling alone as “a sticking plaster solution” that fundamentally misunderstands the problem of violence against women.

The proposal by BT, which has reportedly received backing from the home secretary, would involve people calling or texting 888 to enter an estimated journey time before making a trip. The journey time would then be tracked by the phone’s GPS, with the app sending a message to check whether the user had got home and triggering calls to emergency contacts and to the police if the person failed to respond.

Activists have criticised the idea as an “old school solution” that places “the onus on women and girls”. Anna Birley, from Reclaim These Streets, told the Guardian: “It fails to understand the problem of violence against women and girls. At it heart, it puts the onus on women and girls to keep themselves safe, rather than preventing them from being attacked in the first place.

“It feels like quite an old-school solution to ‘text me when you get home’.”

BT is behind the idea for the helpline. Its chief executive, Philip Jansen, told the Daily Mail that he came up with the idea after the coverage of the abduction, rape and murder of Sarah Everard by Wayne Couzens while Couzens was a police officer. According to the same newspaper, Patel described it as “exactly the kind of innovative scheme which would be good to get going as soon as we can”.

Labour’s deputy leader, Angela Rayner, also condemned the idea, tweeting: “Here’s a radical idea for you Priti – instead of tracking women’s movements as we go about our lives, how about the government actually tackles male violence instead? Only 1% of reported rapes result in a charge. That’s the problem, not us walking home.”

The director of the End Violence Against Women Coalition, Andrea Simon, backed the call for work to done on tackling the systemic issue of male violence, describing the phone line as a “sticking plaster solution” that is “symptomatic of an increasingly unequal society … [where] women can’t move around as they want to without taking additional safety measures”.

Simon warned that the phone line could also reinforce victim blaming through the message that “good solutions to the problem of violence against women and girls centre actions they can take to safeguard themselves”. She said that this can then lead to blaming women who do not take those actions.

“Instead of supporting these sticking plaster solutions, the government’s priority should be funding measures that prevent and address harmful male behaviour,” Simon said. “We want to see just as many schemes that actually target behaviour of perpetrators … because so many of these men are known to the police already.”

The former Whitehall troubleshooter Louise Casey has been brought in by Cressida Dick to root out misogyny in the Metropolitan police after the force’s mishandling of the Couzens scandal. Couzens, who was reportedly nicknamed “the rapist”, had previously been investigated for indecent exposure.

Simon cautioned against adopting a “stranger danger frame” in the wake of “horrific, well-documented” attacks on women, when it is “irrefutable” that men who are known to women are “the biggest risks to them”. “We’re moving further away from actually tackling the reality of violence against women and girls,” she said.

A Home Office spokesperson said: “We have received the letter and will respond in due course. As set out in our strategy earlier this year, we need a whole-of-society approach to tackling violence against women and girls, and welcome joint working between the private sector and government.”
Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
Iranian Hackers Shut Down British Power Plant for Four Days in Landmark Cyber Attack
Novak Djokovic Reveals Relentless Self-Doubt and Rejects Retirement in New Documentary
Trump Imposes 50% Tariffs on Canadian Goods After Bilateral Trade Talks Collapse
Australia Combines Indigenous Fire Knowledge With Satellite Tech to Combat Catastrophic Wildfires
Father and Son Jailed in Scotland Over £900,000 Airport Cannabis Smuggling Operation
UK Fraud Reports Surge Sevenfold as Criminals Exploit QR Codes in Parking Meters and Phishing Emails
Brighton Thrash Aston Villa in Four-Goal Opening Half as Manchester City Trail Bournemouth
Erin Patterson Appeals Triple Murder Convictions After Hotel Mixed Sequestered Jury With Prosecution
Bank of England Maintains Close Watch on Banks Amid Global Economic Uncertainty
Warm Weather and Tourism Support UK High Street Spending During Summer
Westminster Faces Continuing Political and Administrative Fallout From Epstein Files Release
UK Invests in Domestic Defence Drone Manufacturing to Strengthen Military Supply Chains
Around Five Million UK Households Face Higher Mortgage Payments by 2028
Bluetongue Virus Cases Rise Across England, Wales and Scotland
UK Government Holds First National Day for Victims and Survivors of Terrorism
Historic Summer Droughts Threaten UK Harvests and Put Further Pressure on Food Prices
UK Economy Holds Up in Second Quarter Despite Global Energy and Geopolitical Pressures
UK Opens National Artificial Intelligence Safety Testing Facility
UK Government Finalizes Plans to Bring Remaining Regional Rail Services Into Public Ownership
Environment Agency Imposes Record Penalties on Water Companies Over Illegal Sewage Discharges
Great British Energy Announces Offshore Wind Partnership in North Sea
UK Government Tightens Planning Rules to Accelerate Housing Development
NHS Launches Digital Overhaul to Cut Elective Care Waiting Lists
Bank of England Signals Interest Rates May Stay Higher for Longer as Inflation Pressures Persist
The rise and fall of Hui Ka Yan, China’s richest man
Woke: Britain Considers Plain Packaging for Cigars as Specialist Shops Warn of Industry Collapse
Britain's Public-Service Productivity Remains Below 2019 as £80 Billion Output Gap Fuels WFH Debate
Mandelson Epstein Case in Jeopardy as U.S. Files Stay Out of Reach
Prince Harry and Six Others Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million After High Court Defeat
Bank of England Holds Interest Rate at 3.75% as Inflation and Energy Risks Persist
UK AI Security Tests Find Autonomous Agent Attempting Malicious Code Injection
UK Economy Grows 0.4% in Second Quarter Amid Global Pressures
UK Joins European Allies in Condemning Israeli Settlement Plans in West Bank E1 Area
Multiple People Killed in A66 Collision Near Middlesbrough Involving Police Vehicle
UK Government Holds First National Day for Victims and Survivors of Terrorism
UK Met Office Warns of Severe Autumn Storms as Strong El Niño Follows Historic Drought
Petrol Bombs Set Luxury Cars Alight Outside Birmingham Wedding as Police Hunt Three Men
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Prince Harry and Co-Claimants Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million Toward Daily Mail Publisher’s Legal Costs
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Reportedly Plan Return to Britain With Their Children
UK Court Ruling Threatens Deportation Plans for Potential Trafficking Victims to Albania
Kemi Badenoch Presses UK Government for Decisions on Rosebank and Jackdaw Oil Fields
UK Foreign Affairs Committee Chair Calls for Ban on Goods from Occupied West Bank
Andy Burnham Government to Place Civil Servants Directly in English Mayoral Offices
Met Office Warns Major El Niño Could Bring Stormier, Wetter Autumn to UK
UK Economy Gains Unexpected Momentum Ahead of Andy Burnham Government’s First Budget
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
×