London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Friday, Aug 21, 2026

14 arrested as hundreds gather to mark one year since Prince Edward station chaos

14 arrested as hundreds gather to mark one year since Prince Edward station chaos

Nine men and five women, aged 16 to 60, detained for offences including unlawful assembly, disorder in a public place and assaulting a police officer.

At least 14 people were arrested in Hong Kong’s Prince Edward neighbourhood on Monday night as hundreds brought flower tributes to mark the one-year anniversary of its railway station being stormed by police.

The gathering came less than 24 hours after a man many believed disappeared that chaotic evening revealed he was not missing at all, but had fled to Britain to avoid criminal charges.

The controversial August 31, 2019, police operation saw riot officers in pursuit of anti-government protesters enter train carriages and beat people with batons and pepper spray. The evening would later generate unsubstantiated claims of deaths that have been repeatedly denied – and denounced – by police and government officials.


In a video posted on Sunday night, Wong Mau-chun said he had not disappeared on the evening of August 31, 2019, but rather fled to Britain to avoid facing charges.


While the Prince Edward memorial was at one point an almost monthly occurrence, Monday’s one-year anniversary faced considerably more restrictions, as it was the first time it had been attempted since Hong Kong’s sweeping new national security law was put in place on June 30.

The event was called off last month due to the Covid-19 pandemic, which police cited on Monday in dispersing protesters for violating the citywide ban on social gatherings of more than two people.

Those detained, nine men and five women, aged between 16 and 60, were arrested for offences including unlawful assembly, disorder in a public place and assaulting a police officer.

Among them was a 17-year-old boy said to be impersonating a journalist.

Another 37 people were given tickets for breaching the coronavirus-related measures.

More than 500 police officers were deployed to the scene, raising warning flags and using pepper spray more than once. They took away a 10-year-old boy at one point, noticing he was walking the streets without the company of an adult, but later released him to his parents at a police station.

A pregnant woman reportedly fell during the police dispersal operation and was taken to hospital in an ambulance.

Later, in a statement on Facebook, police said officers pulled away a woman while trying to arrest a man beside her and subsequently used pepper spray. But it came to their attention that she was pregnant and feeling unwell. An ambulance was called, and she was taken to Kwong Wah Hospital in Yau Ma Tei for treatment.

“Police are highly concerned about the pregnant woman being affected during the chaos at the protest and send her our regards,” the statement said, adding the force had sent staff to accompany her and her family.


A pregnant woman reportedly fell during a police dispersal operation and was taken to hospital in an ambulance.


District councillors for the area said they had received a record high number of white flowers from protesters, even as police officers threatened to fine those who left bouquets on the ground outside Prince Edward MTR station.

The night before, Wong Mau-chun, known by some as “Prince Edward Hon Bo-sun”, released a video, claiming to be one of the men rumoured to have disappeared at the railway station a year ago amid the chaos.

While the man seen pinned to the ground by police was wearing a black mask that covered the lower part of his face during his arrest, his visible features appeared to match those of Wong, who also provided documentation of the charges he was facing.

In the video posted to Facebook on Sunday evening, Wong said he had been laying low because police had charged him with eight offences, including rioting, which carries a penalty of up to 10 years in prison.

While aware many were worried about his well-being during the past months, he said he had not come forward because police had collected his DNA samples and his case was already in the judicial process.

“I would only be helping police if I made clarifications at the time,” Wong said, adding he decided to flee because he was not confident he would receive a fair trial.

A police spokesman said officers have made 69 arrests related to the August 31, 2019, incident, with seven charged with offences ranging from rioting to possessing offensive weapons.


Hong Kong riot police arrest an anti-government protester at Prince Edward MTR on August 31, 2019. Images of people being beaten and pepper-sprayed at the station that night circulated widely.


Among those charged, two, including Wong, had absconded, the spokesman said, adding that there were warrants out for their arrests.

Ahead of the anniversary, Hong Kong Commissioner of Police Chris Tang Ping-keung warned on Sunday that those spreading rumours – including the suggestion that protesters had been killed during the episode – could be deemed in violation of the city’s sweeping new national security law.

“For quite some time in the past, some people really wanted to endanger the safety of our country or Hong Kong by inciting many others to do something that they would not normally do or spreading wrong thoughts, or spreading the rumours that someone died on August 31,” Tang said in a television interview.


Commissioner for Police Chris Tang has slammed the unsubstantiated rumours that emerged from the storming of Prince Edward MTR Station, saying that perpetuating them could amount to a violation of Hong Kong’s recently adopted national security law.


He refrained from speculating about who was behind the rumours, but said they were desperately hoping to harm the safety of both mainland China and Hong Kong.

In a separate interview with Chinese state news agency Xinhua, Tang said the new security law had achieved a strong deterrent effect, eradicating almost all unlawful assemblies and events involving violence, and noted that more than 20 people had been arrested under it.

“Some have declared they would ‘sever ties’ with violence, while others have fled secretly,” he said, describing how the law had “left those who oppose China and stir chaos in Hong Kong in a state of mayhem”.


Hong Kong police officers check the ID of a young protester outside the Prince Edward MTR Station on Monday.


His warning to protesters was in line with an earlier one from deputy director Zhang Xiaoming of the cabinet-level Hong Kong and Macau Affairs Office, who on July 1 said those contributing to the rumour mill could run afoul of the security law, because they instilled hatred against police.

But the law did little to deter people like Yip, a nurse, who was only willing to give her first name.

She said she had not frequently attended the previous monthly events, but was driven by what she saw as an increasing clampdown by authorities to show up on Monday.

“We cannot forget the truth,” Yip said, referring to news footage she saw depicting the incident on TV.

Last August 31, riot police stormed into Prince Edward MTR Station to make arrests after receiving reports there were radical protesters inside.

Footage of police officers hitting people in train carriages with batons circulated widely online. That, combined with the denial of immediate access to the station by journalists and later revisions to official injury figures, gave rise to speculation from anti-government critics and protesters that some had died during the operation.

The authorities have repeatedly denied the accusation, and there has been no evidence to support the rumours.

Shortly after noon, a handful of protesters began to turn up at the railway station to chant slogans and lay flowers in a makeshift memorial.

The small group was quickly dispersed by police officers and railway employees, with some given prosecuting summonses for allegedly breaching railway by-laws or littering in public.

A group of Yau Tsim Mong district councillors arrived later, taking flowers from those who came and putting them in a box.


Images captured on video showed members of the Hong Kong Police Force’s special tactical unit, known as the ‘Raptors’, storm a train at Prince Edward Station.


Andy Yu Tak-po, one of the councillors, said that a year on, none of critics’ calls for greater transparency about the event have been addressed, including making publicly available closed circuit television footage from that evening.

“There has been no reflection from the authorities at all,” he said, also accusing the MTR, Hong Kong’s train operator, for not being upfront.

Speaking on the radio, Education University student Kex Leung Yiu-ting urged people to refocus their scrutiny on possible use of excessive force by police during the incident, rather than concentrating on unsubstantiated speculation about deaths.

The student was caught up in the incident last year and subsequently filed a successful court challenge to obtain video footage to pursue a claim against the force.

As the evening wore on, a crowd gathered at the junction of Prince Edward West and Nathan Road, with tensions flaring at times as protesters engaged in verbal disputes with the police trying to disperse them.

Officers raised blue flags, warning protesters of unlawful assemblies, and purple flags, indicating a possible breach of the national security law, during a few of the flare-ups.

They also warned the crowd they could face fixed fines of HK$2,000 for violating the city’s social-distancing regulations, as they pushed the crowd in the direction of Mong Kok, where the crowd eventually broke up.

Separately, a group of students from the University of Hong Kong held a commemoration in Central on Monday in remembrance of Liberation Day, which marked Britain resuming control of its former colony from Japan in 1945 following the end of World War II.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
Petrol Bombs Set Luxury Cars Alight Outside Birmingham Wedding as Police Hunt Three Men
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Prince Harry and Co-Claimants Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million Toward Daily Mail Publisher’s Legal Costs
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Reportedly Plan Return to Britain With Their Children
UK Court Ruling Threatens Deportation Plans for Potential Trafficking Victims to Albania
Kemi Badenoch Presses UK Government for Decisions on Rosebank and Jackdaw Oil Fields
UK Foreign Affairs Committee Chair Calls for Ban on Goods from Occupied West Bank
Andy Burnham Government to Place Civil Servants Directly in English Mayoral Offices
Met Office Warns Major El Niño Could Bring Stormier, Wetter Autumn to UK
UK Economy Gains Unexpected Momentum Ahead of Andy Burnham Government’s First Budget
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Royal Navy to Accelerate DragonFire Laser Deployment Against Growing Drone Threat
Northern Ireland Approves Five Hundred Million Pound Belfast Harbour Expansion
Great British Railways Takes Full Control of Avanti West Coast as Rail Nationalisation Reaches Final Stage
UK AI Safety Institute Calls for Mandatory Security Audits of Advanced AI Models
Scotland Secures Three Billion Pounds for Floating Offshore Wind Hub in Aberdeen
Government Overrides Local Councils to Approve Green Belt Housing Across Southern England
UK and EU Move Toward Mutual Recognition of Food Standards to Ease Cross-Channel Trade
Government Plans Multibillion-Pound Private Healthcare Expansion to Cut NHS Surgical Backlogs
Bank of England Signals Faster Rate Cuts as Inflation Falls Below the Two Percent Target
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
Moderna Shares Surge After Positive Personalized Skin Cancer Trial Results
UK Markets Watch US National Debt Surpass Forty Trillion Dollars
UK Broadcasters Urge Government to Invest in Digital Participation and Broadband
CVC Capital Partners and Standard Life Launch Two Billion Pound Pension Risk Transfer Venture
UK Private Sector Productivity Growth Accelerates in Second Quarter
UK Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband Condemns Israeli E1 Settlement Tender
UK Watchdog Investigates Trainline, Virgin Atlantic and RED Driving School Over Hidden Fees
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Plan Move to Private Home Outside London
UK Retail Sentiment Improves as Summer Spending Boosts Consumer Confidence
UK Aid Cuts Draw Warnings From Charities Over Humanitarian Consequences
UK Financial Conduct Authority Issues Guidance for Motor Finance Redress Scheme
UK Met Office Launches Aviation Programme to Reduce Climate Impact of Persistent Contrails
Former UK Civil Service Chief Received Record 500,000 Pound Severance Payment
West Midlands to Bring Bus Network Under Public Franchising Model
UK Government Drops Plan to Relax Affordable Housing Requirements After Backlash
UK Reaffirms Military Support for Ukraine Despite Russian Hybrid Warfare Threats
UK Technology Sector Expands Nearly 8 Percent as Digital Industry Outpaces Wider Economy
UK Drought Threatens Harvests Across England and Wales as Food Inflation Risks Persist
UK Government Pledges 442 Million Pounds to End Rough Sleeping by Christmas
UK Government Signals Willingness to Reconsider Digital Services Tax Amid US Tariff Threats
×