London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Tuesday, Feb 17, 2026

Woman who stayed three weeks in Hong Kong airport after arriving from London ‘allowed to leave for mainland China’

Authorities accused of double standards as others were forced to return to point of origin. All stranded passengers found staying in terminal have left, Airport Authority confirms

A woman who stayed three weeks at Hong Kong International Airport (HKIA) left earlier this month, but her departure sparked accusations of double standards by the authorities.

She was the last of more than a dozen people found stranded at the terminal after Hong Kong suspended transit services because of the Covid-19 pandemic. Without valid connecting flights to their destinations, they remained at the terminal.

The 63-year-old woman, who arrived from London on a British Airways flight on June 13, was allowed to fly to Shanghai on July 5, the Post has learned.

In earlier cases, passengers stuck at the airport were made to return to their points of origin.

It emerged over the past month that the failure of some airlines to ensure their passengers had valid connecting flights resulted in more than a dozen travellers remaining at HKIA’s transit area for between a few days and three months.

The woman, a mainland China resident, arrived in Hong Kong from London on a British Airways flight, on her way to Zhuhai, in Guangdong province. With transit services suspended, she stayed put for about three weeks.

A BA spokesman confirmed that she left HKIA on July 5, but declined to say where she went. An Airport Authority spokeswoman confirmed there were no stranded passengers left, but also would not elaborate.

A source familiar with the case told the Post: “She left Hong Kong on a flight to mainland China.” It is understood that the woman, who never left the airport while she was stranded, flew to Shanghai.

The woman is believed to have visited London earlier in the year to see family and ended up being stuck there for five months because of pandemic restrictions in Britain.

Another source said that when she found herself stranded at HKIA, the woman refused to be sent back to London free of charge. She would then have been put on a flight to the mainland, also for free.

It is understood that she resisted returning to London, claiming there had been a family disagreement and she feared she would end up stranded there with no help.

The authorities’ decision to let her leave Hong Kong for the mainland deviated from the Airport Authority’s instruction to airlines that all such passengers must return to their points of origin.

The Immigration Department refused to respond to questions about the woman, saying it did not comment on individual cases.

All it would say, in an email response to the Post, was: “ImmD will handle removal arrangements for persons who have been refused to land in accordance with relevant legislation and procedures.”

As part of Hong Kong’s pandemic response, all transit services at HKIA were suspended on March 25.

The problem of stranded passengers came to light after the airport resumed transit services on June 1, but the mainland still remained off-limits for transfers.

Most of the stranded passengers were heading to mainland destinations.

As cases emerged one after the other, the Airport Authority pledged to work with other government departments to tighten flight management, immigration and quarantine procedures for transit travellers.

The authority also warned airlines that if they allowed unauthorised passengers to travel to Hong Kong, they risked tougher passenger inspections and might even be banned from bringing transit passengers.

Several airlines complained repeatedly that they lacked the power to remove passengers who had left the aircraft and remained in the airport without clearing immigration checks to enter Hong Kong.

Some passengers, knowing that they could not be forcibly removed, chose to stay in the terminal.

Among them was a Cathay Pacific passenger who arrived from Canada in mid-March on his way to Vietnam and spent three months in the terminal.

But it later emerged that the man had a Hong Kong identity card and cleared immigration to enter the city on July 2. It is not known why he chose to remain in the airport for so long.

A group of 10 Emirates Airline passengers stranded at HKIA for several days in mid-June sparked public health concerns when it was discovered that they travelled on the same aircraft as more than two dozen people found to be infected with Covid-19.
The 10 were sent to a quarantine centre and were allowed to be sent back to Dubai after they were found to be clear of infection.

As a result of that case, Emirates stopped all Hong Kong transfers for two weeks earlier this month.

Commenting on the latest case of the stranded woman allowed to return to the mainland, lawmaker Jeremy Tam Man-ho, an aviation expert and former pilot, said: “It is a case of double standards.”

Given that the previous stranded passengers were made to return to their points of origin, he said the case raised questions about why Hong Kong made an exception for this particular passenger.

Unless the passenger had a special reason or there was a matter of absolute urgency, it should not have been done, he added.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
Reform UK Appoints Former Conservative Minister Robert Jenrick as Finance Chief
UK Unemployment Rises to Highest in Nearly Five Years as Labour Market Weakens
Nigel Farage Names Reform UK Frontbench Team and Signals Zero Tolerance for Internal Dissent
Qualcomm to Withdraw UK Lawsuit Over Smartphone Chip Royalty Dispute
Major UK Banks Explore Domestic Card Network to Rival Visa and Mastercard
Cold Health Alert Issued Across UK as Temperatures Drop Sharply
Nine-Year-Old Becomes First Child in UK to Undergo Groundbreaking Leg-Lengthening Surgery
UK Workers Face Stagnant Incomes and a Softening Labour Market as Unemployment Climbs
UK Passport Rules Tightened for British Dual Nationals Under New Travel Guidance
California Deepens Global Climate Alliance with New UK Pact and Major Clean-Tech Investment Drive
UK Supreme Court Tightens Rules on Use of ‘Milk’ and ‘Cheese’ Labels for Plant-Based Products
University of Kentucky Postpones Feb. 19 Law Enforcement Training Exercise in Lexington
‘The only thing illegal is Keir Starmer handing these islands to a country like Mauritius!’
JD Vance says Germany is “killing itself” by taking in millions of fake asylum seekers from culturally incompatible nations.
UK Markets Signal Opportunity as Starmer Confronts Intensifying Political Pressure
Trump Criticises Newsom’s UK Climate Pact, Defends Federal Authority Over Foreign Engagements
UK’s Top Prosecutor Says ‘No One Is Above the Law’ as Police Review Claims Against Ex-Prince Andrew
Businessman Adam Brooks weighs in on the reports that the US is set to help Hamit Coskun flee the UK, over free speech concerns
U.S. Attorney General Pam Bondi Releases 3.5 Million Pages of Jeffrey Epstein Case Files
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio Comment on European allies report blaming Russia for killing late Kremlin critic Alexei Navalny using toxin from poison dart frogs
Eighty-Year-Old Lottery Winner Sentenced to 16.5 Years for Drug Trafficking
UK Quran Burner May Receive Asylum in the US Amid Legal Challenges
Rubio Calls for Sweeping U.N. Reform, Saying It Has Failed to End Wars in Gaza and Ukraine
10,000 Condoms Distributed at Winter Olympics 2026 Athlete Village Depleted Within 72 Hours
Poland's President Advocates for Evaluating Independent Nuclear Weapons Development
Prince William Meets Saudi Crown Prince as Epstein-Andrew Fallout Casts Shadow
Starmer Calls for Renewed ‘Hard Power’ Investment at European Security Summit
UK Police Establish National Taskforce to Handle Domestic Epstein-Linked Allegations
UK Court Rules Ban on Palestine Action Unlawful in Major Free Speech Test
UK Faces Prospect of Net Migration Turning Negative as Economic Impact Looms
Mayor of Serdobsk in Russia’s Penza Region Resigns After Housing Certificates Granted to Migrant Family Trigger Public Outcry
Pentagon Reviews Anthropic Partnership After Claude AI Reportedly Used in Operation Targeting Nicolás Maduro
President Donald Trump and Hip-Hop’s Political Realignment: Pardons, Public Endorsements, and the Struggle Over Cultural Influence
China’s EV Makers Face Mandatory Return to Physical Buttons and Door Handles in Driver-Distraction Safety Overhaul
Goldman Sachs and DP World Executive Resignations: Elite-Reputation Risk and Corporate Governance Fallout From the Epstein Disclosures
‘Amelia’: The UK Government’s Anti-Extremism Game Villain Who Became a Protest Symbol
Peter Mandelson Asked to Testify Before US Congress Over Jeffrey Epstein Links
Walmart's Earnings and UK Economic Data Highlight Upcoming Financial Trends
UK Green Party Considering Proposal to Legalize Heroin for an Inclusive Society
SpaceX's New Vision: Lunar City Takes Precedence Over Mars Colonization
OpenAI and DeepCent Superintelligence Race: Artificial General Intelligence and AI Agents as a National Security Arms Race
Document Suggests Prince Andrew Shared UK Briefing on Afghan Investment Opportunities with Jeffrey Epstein
We will protect them from the digital Wild West.’ Another country will ban social media for under-16s
McDonald's Shortens Breakfast Hours in Australia Due to Egg Shortage
Heineken announces cut of 6,000 jobs due to declining beer demand
Beijing Brands UK Hong Kong Visa Expansion ‘Despicable and Reprehensible’ After Jimmy Lai Sentencing
Tesco Chief Warns UK Is ‘Sleepwalking’ Toward a Joblessness Crisis
Trump’s ‘Act of Great Stupidity’ Comment on UK Chagos Deal Reverberates Through Diplomacy and Strategy
New U.S. filings say Jeffrey Epstein repaid Les Wexner one hundred million dollars after theft allegation
Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick acknowledges 2012 visit to Jeffrey Epstein’s private island as lawmakers scrutinise past ties
×