London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Thursday, Feb 19, 2026

We're in serious trouble, says hospitality industry

We're in serious trouble, says hospitality industry

Hospitality, wedding and night-time entertainment businesses have reacted with horror to the delay in England's full reopening until 19 July.

One nightclub owner told the BBC he had been closed since March last year and had a full diary of events planned over the next few weeks, which he'll now have to cancel, losing thousands of pounds in revenue.

David Whittall, who runs the nightclub and live music venue Suki10c in Digbeth, Birmingham, now has no way to pay the bills in June, he said.

And wedding planners said the continuation of some restrictions meant couples were likely to defer their weddings again.

"The sold-out events that we had booked in - that's what was going to get us through because we would have made revenue, we would have had profit, we would have been able to pay our bills. Now we don't have anything," Mr Whittall says.

He stresses that the government needs to announce financial support, but it cannot be along the same lines as the Culture Recovery Fund, "because it takes too long to get the money".

"If we don't get financial support, I don't want to think about what the alternative is," he says.

Admiral Taverns boss Chris Jowsey says the pub industry is frustrated and the carefully laid plans made by his licensee pubs "have been wasted"

Chris Jowsey is the chief executive of community pub firm Admiral Taverns, which has more than 1,000 pubs across the UK.

"For many licensees, the situation is desperate because Covid restrictions are massively hindering pubs from trading profitably - if the regulations have to continue then we need the government to step in and offer extra support to the hospitality industry," he says.

"Licensees are losing money because they are having to hire extra staff members to cope with restrictions like table service and social distancing."

The British Beer and Pub Association has warned that four additional weeks of restrictions will cost pubs £400m. It says pubs must be allowed to "open properly" on 19 July.

Mr Whittall says he is surprised the prime minister didn't announce any additional financial support: "We've got bills that need paying now... I'm not sure what we're supposed to do now."

A spokesman for the Treasury said: "We are committed to helping businesses and individuals through the pandemic and deliberately went long with our support to provide certainty over the coming months.

"The furlough scheme and support for the self-employed is in place until September and eligible businesses will continue to benefit from business rates relief of 75% over the year, VAT cuts and the Recovery Loan Scheme."

Pleased - but still worried
Event and wedding planning studio founder Matthew Shaw is concerned about how his industry and suppliers will cope with continued restrictions

Wedding venues and planners have told the BBC that the government's announcement about unlimited guest numbers being permitted has provided some relief, but they are still deeply worried about the future of their industry.

Matthew Shaw, founder and creative director at Sauveur, a creative events and luxury wedding planning studio in London, has already been on the phone to his clients, who are confused about what they are allowed to do at their weddings.

Many are upset about the fact they cannot have a dance floor indoors and they want to cancel the bands they have booked, Matthew says, which puts pressure on the suppliers Sauveur works with.

"Dance floors and drinks receptions are the things people want," he tells the BBC.

"It's great to have a meal, to be with people, but when you take away the key elements of what make a wedding special...people don't want to spend the money on it anymore."

Earlier this year, his marquee supplier went under. That means he will have to try to forge relationships with new suppliers, while hoping the existing ones are still coping and are resilient when clients pull the plug or decide to postpone their events.

Sarah Callander Beckett, owner of wedding venue Combermere Abbey in Cheshire, says it could be difficult if couples all want to defer their weddings again

Mr Shaw says that the last year has taken a toll on his mental health and that of his staff, clients and suppliers: "I've spent sleepless nights wondering whether events will still be able to run, and whether we will still be able to get new clients, after watching new and existing clients drop away."

Sarah Callander Beckett, owner of wedding venue Combermere Abbey in Cheshire, agrees with Mr Shaw.

They say some clients might prefer to defer their weddings again. But this creates an additional headache as the calendar for the rest of this year and into next year is already pretty packed for many businesses in the industry.

"These are some difficult decisions we'll have to facilitate as a business in the next few days managing expectations and emotions," Ms Beckett says. "Ideally what we want to see is also the return of dancing and mingling amongst guests."

'We're in serious trouble'

Keith Marsden is the landlord of the Prince of Wales pub in Moseley, Birmingham.

Prince of Wales pub landlord Keith Marsden says the pub industry cannot continue to survive at only a third of its capacity

He says that social distancing has proved a significant challenge and a continuation of restrictions will deeply impact his bottom line.

Mr Marsden recently had his worst day of trading since he started the business, with takings of just £96.

"With social distancing whether you're inside or outside, you just cannot get the capacity," he says. "We're operating at about one-third of our capacity, so we just cannot do the numbers to make a profit."

He says that people have fallen out of the habit of going to the pub: "We're hanging in there but we're in serious trouble.

"It really will be the final nail in the coffin for many."

He's also worried about the financial challenges ahead, and the debt that he and others in the industry have built up.

"If you come in here on a busy weekend you think, oh yeah they're doing quite nicely, but beneath the surface there's lots of problems lurking," says Mr Marsden.

"People haven't aggressively chased debt, landlords have let people off with rent, business rates holidays, things like that. They're now coming to the surface."

'It's devastating for the festival sector'
Caterers for the festival and events industry say the delays in relaxing Covid restrictions is "devastating" for the sector

The Nationwide Caterers Association (NCASS), which represents caterers in the festival and events sectors, including mobile and street food businesses, is also calling on the government to provide immediate financial support.

"Festival caterers will still not be able to work after already losing the 2020 season - it is devastating for the sector as a whole," the industry body's director Mark Laurie says.

"There are ten of thousands of businesses involved in the festival industry who are going to suffer huge losses."

Latest research from Live, the trade body for the UK live events sector, suggests the industry faces losses of more than £500m as at least 5,000 shows will be cancelled.

"Any delay to the 21 June reopening date will have significant and immediate repercussions, including 248 grassroots music venues that would face an immediate threat of eviction without a comprehensive response from the government that fully addresses their financial losses from delayed reopening," the trade body has warned.

Mr Laurie says that caterers have had "little to no help" from the government or local authorities: "The Additional Restrictions Grants (ARG) for those without fixed premises won't work to support theses businesses and so that must be addressed.

"NCASS is calling on the government to publish the results of the Events Research Programme, to provide immediate financial support to affected businesses and provide a clear way forward."


It is a terrible three-way balancing act - a race not just between the vaccine and the variant, but also viability of thousands of businesses. A cost-benefit analysis without many benefits.

The signalling of 21 June as "freedom day" was meant to give businesses long-term confidence to plan staffing, stocking and reversing the mothballing of their hospitality venues. Indoor venues will incur substantial losses over the next month.

The message from the government is that the support package they put in place at the Budget already accounted for this eventuality.

The furlough scheme has begun a slow phase-out, whereas in many other similar countries, employer contributions are already required, or the schemes have ended.

Ministers also point at the strength of the economic bounce-back and record hiring and vacancy statistics. But that will come as little comfort to industries now shut for 15 months, such as nightclubs.

Local authorities have yet to allocate £1bn, about half of the discretionary fund.

The ideal picture, as the prime minister put it, is that they will not be rolling back any of the currently implemented roadmap.

As we know, the impact on the economy comes not just from mandatory lockdowns, but from voluntary social distancing as consumers stay away from crowded places if they feel the virus is out of control.

On two crucial occasions last March and last Autumn, the government chose to prioritise economic reopening, with consequences for the scale of the outbreak that followed, which in turn definitively failed to be of any benefit to the economy.

This time it appears they are learning a lesson from recent history, and proceeding cautiously.

The calculation is that the immediate extra economic pain will be outweighed by fewer deaths and a confident irreversible reopening in a month's time.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
UK Inflation Slows Sharply in January, Strengthening Case for Bank of England Rate Cut
Hide the truth, fake the facts, pretend the opposite, Britain is as usual
France President Macron says Free Speech is Bull Sh!t
Viktor Orbán getting massive praise for keeping Hungary safe, rich and migrant-free!
UK Inflation Falls to Ten-Month Low, Markets Anticipate Interest Rate Cut
UK House Prices Climb 2.4% in December as Market Shows Signs of Stabilisation
BAE Systems Predicts Sustained Expansion as Defence Orders Reach Record High
Pro-Palestine Activists Cleared of Burglary Charges Over Break-In at UK Israeli Arms Facility
Former Reform UK Councillors Form New Local Group Amid Party Fragmentation
Reform UK Pledges to Retain Britain’s Budget Watchdog as It Seeks Broader Economic Credibility
Miliband Defends UK-California Clean Energy Pact After Sharp Criticism by Trump
University of Kentucky to Host 2026 Summer Camps Fair Connecting Families with Local Programmes
UK Police Forces Assess Claims Jeffrey Epstein Used Stansted Airport Flights in Trafficking Network
UK-Focused Equity ETF FLGB Climbs to Fresh 52-Week Peak on Strong Market Sentiment
Trump Warns UK’s Chagos Islands Agreement Is a “Big Mistake” Amid Strategic Security Debate
Trump Urges UK to Retain Sovereignty Over Diego Garcia Amid Strategic Concerns
Italian Police Arrest Man After Alleged Attempt to Abduct Toddler at Bergamo Supermarket, Child Hospitalised With Fractured Femur
Rupert Lowe wanted to deport rape gangs and the communities who protected them
Reform UK Appoints Former Conservative Minister Robert Jenrick as Finance Chief
UK Unemployment Rises to Highest in Nearly Five Years as Labour Market Weakens
Rupert Lowe Advocates for English-Only Use in the UK
US Successfully Transports Small Nuclear Reactor from California to Utah
South Korea's traditional sand wrestling sport ssireum faces declining interest at home
Japan outlawed Islam
Virginia Giuffre accuses Epstein of trafficking to powerful men for blackmail.
New Mexico lawmakers initiate investigation into Zorro Ranch linked to Jeffrey Epstein
British Tourist Arrested at Hong Kong Airport After Meltdown and Vandalism
The Spanish government has ordered prosecutors to investigate platforms X, Meta and TikTok for allegedly spreading AI-generated child sexual abuse material
European Commission Plans Purchase Incentives Limited to Vehicles Manufactured Largely in the EU
French District of Pas-de-Calais Introduces Immediate License Suspension for Drivers Using Mobile Phones
Volkswagen Targets €60 Billion in Cost Reductions as Sales Decline and Global Pressures Intensify
Nigel Farage Names Reform UK Frontbench Team and Signals Zero Tolerance for Internal Dissent
Qualcomm to Withdraw UK Lawsuit Over Smartphone Chip Royalty Dispute
Major UK Banks Explore Domestic Card Network to Rival Visa and Mastercard
Cold Health Alert Issued Across UK as Temperatures Drop Sharply
Nine-Year-Old Becomes First Child in UK to Undergo Groundbreaking Leg-Lengthening Surgery
UK Workers Face Stagnant Incomes and a Softening Labour Market as Unemployment Climbs
UK Passport Rules Tightened for British Dual Nationals Under New Travel Guidance
California Deepens Global Climate Alliance with New UK Pact and Major Clean-Tech Investment Drive
UK Supreme Court Tightens Rules on Use of ‘Milk’ and ‘Cheese’ Labels for Plant-Based Products
University of Kentucky Postpones Feb. 19 Law Enforcement Training Exercise in Lexington
‘The only thing illegal is Keir Starmer handing these islands to a country like Mauritius!’
JD Vance says Germany is “killing itself” by taking in millions of fake asylum seekers from culturally incompatible nations.
UK Markets Signal Opportunity as Starmer Confronts Intensifying Political Pressure
Trump Criticises Newsom’s UK Climate Pact, Defends Federal Authority Over Foreign Engagements
UK’s Top Prosecutor Says ‘No One Is Above the Law’ as Police Review Claims Against Ex-Prince Andrew
Businessman Adam Brooks weighs in on the reports that the US is set to help Hamit Coskun flee the UK, over free speech concerns
U.S. Attorney General Pam Bondi Releases 3.5 Million Pages of Jeffrey Epstein Case Files
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio Comment on European allies report blaming Russia for killing late Kremlin critic Alexei Navalny using toxin from poison dart frogs
Eighty-Year-Old Lottery Winner Sentenced to 16.5 Years for Drug Trafficking
×