London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Friday, Feb 20, 2026

Thousands of Hong Kong bookings disrupted by move to quarantine-only hotels

Thousands of Hong Kong bookings disrupted by move to quarantine-only hotels

Hong Kong government’s decision to select 36 hotels as quarantine-only facilities, while forbidding others from taking such bookings, is aimed at stemming the fourth wave.

Thousands of hotel bookings for Hong Kong arrivals needing to undergo mandatory Covid-19 quarantine would have to be cancelled or rearranged after the government left several popular properties off its list of designated facilities, industry insiders say.

About 100 hotels had applied to act as designated service providers, with the government on Friday unveiling a deal to use 36 as quarantine-only facilities from December 22 until February 19 in a bid to stem the worsening fourth wave of Covid-19 infections.

To avoid potential cross-infections, hotels on the list will not be allowed to take in regular guests, while those not on the list will have to stop accepting bookings for quarantine.

The government’s list of approved hotels represents a total of 12,132 regular rooms and suites available for quarantine, including at five-star properties such as the Kerry Hotel in Hung Hom, which previously did not allow guests for quarantine, and the Landmark Mandarin Oriental in Central, which had only allowed select quarantine guests from lower-risk countries.


The main entrance of the Ramada Hong Kong Grand, which made the government’s list of quarantine-only hotels.


The 1,001-room Four Points by Sheraton in Tung Chung, which was supposed to have its grand opening early next year, is also on the list. In an emailed reply to the Post, the hotel said its premises had passed an infection control inspection by the Department of Health, and its staff would comply with relevant hygiene guidelines.

“We look forward to reopening this property to guests and travellers in the future,” it said. “In the meantime, we will continue to work closely with the authorities.”

Meanwhile, some hospitality groups with experience handling quarantine guests were not selected.

Ovolo Group – which has handled more than 1,500 quarantining travellers from the United States, Britain, India and Singapore so far this year – told the Post it was “disappointed” most of its properties did not make the official list.

The group said it had more than 8,000 room nights booked for quarantine stays between December and March 2021 that had to be cancelled because of the government’s new arrangement.

Girish Jhunjhnuwala, Ovolo Group’s founder and chief executive, told the Post the cancellations would result in a “substantial loss in revenue” for the hospitality group, which had previously been successful in capturing the demand for quarantine accommodation.

“We’ll have to look at some form of new business, because it’s been difficult for us. We’re stunned by this … decision by the government, because we had so many bookings [for] quarantine guests,” Jhunjhnuwala said.

With more than 330 rooms across four hotels in Hong Kong, Ovolo Group’s occupancy rate was 78 per cent in November, far above the industry average of about 50 per cent during the pandemic.

Offering quarantine guests perks such as in-room fitness gear, laundry discounts, and a special concierge service to help with errands, Ovolo’s package was dubbed “The Queen of Quarantine” by the lifestyle media group Tatler.

Matthew McKenzie, an Australian who has lived between Hong Kong and Shanghai over the past seven years, was among those scrambling to find alternative accommodation for his family.

His wife and three-year-old son were expected to return to Hong Kong from Britain in late January, and had pre-booked their stay at Ovolo after reading positive online reviews.

“I’m still in shock over the cancellation, to be brutally honest,” he said. “I still can’t believe that the booking that I made two months ago won’t be accepted.”

McKenzie had tried to rebook his family’s quarantine stay at the Mojo Nomad in Aberdeen, the only Ovolo-owned property on the designated government list, but the 79-room facility had already been fully booked.

He was concerned he would not be able to find accommodation that suited the needs of their toddler.

But Ovolo was not the only group to get snubbed. All three Silka hotel properties under the Dorsett International Hospitality Group also failed to make the designated list.


None of the city’s three Silka locations made the government’s list.


Silka’s locations in Tsuen Wan, Kwai Chung and Yau Ma Tei, with a total of 917 rooms between them, had been offering budget quarantine accommodation since March, with rates as low as HK$5,180 (US$668) for the 14-day period. The Post has reached out to Dorsett for comment.

Michael Li Hon-shing, executive director of the Federation of Hong Kong Hotel Owners, told a radio show the industry did not know what the government’s selection criteria had been, but understood it had considered factors such as, “whether the hotel has experience being used for quarantine in the past, and the air ventilation system of the property”.

So far, he said, the budget options on the list – which account for about 80 per cent of the total number of rooms – were seeing more bookings.

Secretary for the Civil Service Patrick Nip Tak-kuen, who is responsible for coordinating the designated hotels arrangement, told a radio show on Monday that the 36 chosen hotels had until the end of the day to confirm whether they could start accommodating quarantine-only guests by Friday.



Tourism sector lawmaker Yiu Si-wing estimated about 60 per cent of bookings at the designated quarantine hotels would go to operators in the HK$500 to HK$1,000 price range.

“The higher-end ones would only accommodate less than 10 per cent of those who have plans to return to Hong Kong over the Christmas break,” Yiu said.

Yiu brushed off concerns that hotels that did not previously handle quarantine guests would be unprepared to serve as designated facilities, noting bigger chains “could easily move staff around from other properties to help out”.

“The health authorities are also in regular communication with the hotels to make sure standards are in place,” he added.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
UK Confirms Preferential U.S. Trading Terms Will Continue After Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
U.S. and U.K. to Hold Talks on Diego Garcia as Iran Objects to Potential Military Use
UK Officials Weigh Possible Changes to Prince Andrew’s Position in Line of Succession Amid Ongoing Scrutiny
British Police Probe Epstein’s UK Airport Links and Expand High-Profile Inquiries
Early 2026 Data Suggests Tentative Recovery for UK Businesses and Households
UK Introduces Digital-First Passport Rules for Dual Citizens in Border Control Overhaul
Unable to Access Live Financial Data for January UK Surplus Report
UK Government Considers Law to Remove Prince Andrew from Royal Line of Succession
UK ‘Working Closely with US’ to Assess Impact of Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
Trump Criticises UK Decision to Restrict Use of Bases in Potential Iran Strike Scenario
UK Foreign Secretary and U.S. State Chief Hold Strategic Talks as Tensions Rise Over Joint Air Base
Two teens arrested in France for alleged terror plot.
Nordic Fracture: How Criminal Scandals and Toxic Ties are Dismantling the Norwegian Crown
US Supreme Court Voids Trump’s Emergency Tariff Plan, Reshaping Trade Power and Fiscal Risk
King Charles III Opens London Fashion Week as Royal Family Faces Fresh Scrutiny
Trump’s Evolving Stance on UK Chagos Islands Deal Draws Renewed Scrutiny
House Democrat Says Former UK Ambassador Unable to Testify in Congressional Epstein Inquiry
No Record of Prince Andrew Arrest in UK as Claims Circulate Online
UK Has Not Granted US Approval to Launch Iran Strikes from RAF Bases, Government Confirms
AI Pricing Pressure Mounts as Chinese Models Undercut US Rivals and Margin Risks Grow
Global Counsel, Advisory Firm Co-Founded by Lord Mandelson, Enters Administration After Client Exodus
London High Court dispute over Ricardo Salinas’s $400mn Elektra share-backed bitcoin loan
UK Intensifies Efforts to Secure Saudi Investment in Next-Generation Fighter Jet Programme
Former Student Files Civil Claim Against UK Authorities After Rape Charges Against Peers Are Dropped
Archer Aviation Chooses Bristol for New UK Engineering Hub to Drive Electric Air Taxi Expansion
UK Sees Surge in Medical Device Testing as Government Pushes Global Competitiveness
UK Competition Watchdog Flags Concerns Over Proposed Getty Images–Shutterstock Merger
Trump Reasserts Opposition to UK Chagos Islands Proposal, Urges Stronger Strategic Alignment
Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis advocates for a ban on minors using social media.
Liberal Senator Michaelia Cash Accuses Prime Minister of Lying to Australians
Meanwhile in Time Square, NYC One of the most famous landmarks
Jensen Huang just told the story of how Elon Musk became NVIDIA’s very first customer for their powerful AI supercomputer
A Lunar New Year event in Taiwan briefly came to a halt after a temple official standing beside President Lai Ching‑te suddenly vomited, splashing Lai’s clothing
Jillian Michaels reveals Bill Gates’ $55 million investment in mRNA vaccines turned into over $1 billion.
Ex-Prince Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's arrested
Former British Prince Andrew Arrested on Suspicion of Misconduct in Public Office
Four Chagos Islanders Establish Permanent Settlement on Atoll
Unitree Robotics founder Wang Xingxing showcases future robot deployment during Spring Festival Gala.
UK Inflation Slows Sharply in January, Strengthening Case for Bank of England Rate Cut
Hide the truth, fake the facts, pretend the opposite, Britain is as usual
France President Macron says Free Speech is Bull Sh!t
Viktor Orbán getting massive praise for keeping Hungary safe, rich and migrant-free!
UK Inflation Falls to Ten-Month Low, Markets Anticipate Interest Rate Cut
UK House Prices Climb 2.4% in December as Market Shows Signs of Stabilisation
BAE Systems Predicts Sustained Expansion as Defence Orders Reach Record High
Pro-Palestine Activists Cleared of Burglary Charges Over Break-In at UK Israeli Arms Facility
Former Reform UK Councillors Form New Local Group Amid Party Fragmentation
Reform UK Pledges to Retain Britain’s Budget Watchdog as It Seeks Broader Economic Credibility
Miliband Defends UK-California Clean Energy Pact After Sharp Criticism by Trump
University of Kentucky to Host 2026 Summer Camps Fair Connecting Families with Local Programmes
×