London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Thursday, Aug 20, 2026

Striking barristers to vote on pay proposals

Striking barristers to vote on pay proposals

The government is offering barristers tens of millions of pounds in extra payments in a bid to end a strike which has seen record criminal court delays in England and Wales.

The offer includes higher fees for more cases, including those which have not yet reached the stage of a full trial.

But the government has not improved its 15% pay offer, and barristers want 25%.

The Criminal Bar Association (CBA) said it would ballot its members on whether to accept the offer and end the strike.

The barristers' strike added to an existing backlog of cases in the courts which resulted from the impact of Covid, and cuts to the criminal justice system.

Official figures show more than 8,500 people are in prison awaiting trial.

Walkouts began in June after years of complaints from criminal barristers that the system of legal aid, which makes up the bulk of their pay, had resulted in cuts to their income of 35% in the last decade.

The industrial action was ramped up in September when the CBA began an indefinite, uninterrupted strike.

Barristers are self-employed and largely paid for the time they spend in court taking part in trials.

The government had offered to increase rates by 15% but only for new cases, with payment to be made after the main hearing or trial in each case.

Because of the backlog in the courts, barristers faced waits of several years to receive the higher legal aid payments.

The government has agreed to bring forward the higher rate of legal aid to cover most current cases now in court, regardless of whether they have reached the trial stage.

The deal will cost the government £54m, most of which will be for bringing forward legal aid payments to barristers, but £19m of the money will be for improving the fees of solicitors on criminal cases.


'Generous proposals'


Justice Secretary Brandon Lewis said: "My priority in these discussions has been to ensure that victims aren't forced to wait longer to see justice done.

"These are generous proposals, and I would strongly urge all members of the Criminal Bar Association to consider carefully, end their strike and work with me to deliver better outcomes for victims of crime."

Mr Lewis has also agreed to add extra payments totalling £3m for case preparation work, which previously went unpaid.

There also will be £4m in new payments for barristers to take part in a new system of pre-recorded evidence sessions, designed to be less stressful for vulnerable witnesses.

Finally, the package includes £5m in fees for work in youth courts, and more money for solicitors.

Brandon Lewis was sworn in as Lord Chancellor on Thursday


The CBA, which represents barristers, is irritated the deal was made public by the government before it could inform its core membership.

"That really has not helped," a CBA source said.

It stressed that trust in the government among barristers, particularly those in the early stages of their career, was at "rock bottom".

Kirsty Brimelow, who chairs the CBA, later added: "The offer from government has resulted from constructive talks between the Ministry of Justice and the leadership of the CBA.

"This offer represents substantial positive movement from government. As a result, the offer will be put to a ballot."

The ballot will run from late on 4 October until midnight on 9 October.

Separately, the Law Society, representing solicitors, warned it would advise its members not to undertake criminal defence work if their fees do not rise in line with barristers.

"Reaching a compromise with criminal barristers but not providing parity for solicitors is short-sighted," said Law Society president Stephanie Boyce.

Thousands of workers across different industries have taken, or considered taking, strike action this year.

Railway unions are in a continuing dispute with the government and railway companies over pay, job cuts and changes to terms and conditions. Refuse workers, Royal Mail staff and employees at container ports have also walked out.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
Moderna Shares Surge After Positive Personalized Skin Cancer Trial Results
UK Markets Watch US National Debt Surpass Forty Trillion Dollars
UK Broadcasters Urge Government to Invest in Digital Participation and Broadband
CVC Capital Partners and Standard Life Launch Two Billion Pound Pension Risk Transfer Venture
UK Private Sector Productivity Growth Accelerates in Second Quarter
UK Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband Condemns Israeli E1 Settlement Tender
UK Watchdog Investigates Trainline, Virgin Atlantic and RED Driving School Over Hidden Fees
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Plan Move to Private Home Outside London
UK Retail Sentiment Improves as Summer Spending Boosts Consumer Confidence
UK Aid Cuts Draw Warnings From Charities Over Humanitarian Consequences
UK Financial Conduct Authority Issues Guidance for Motor Finance Redress Scheme
UK Met Office Launches Aviation Programme to Reduce Climate Impact of Persistent Contrails
Former UK Civil Service Chief Received Record 500,000 Pound Severance Payment
West Midlands to Bring Bus Network Under Public Franchising Model
UK Government Drops Plan to Relax Affordable Housing Requirements After Backlash
UK Reaffirms Military Support for Ukraine Despite Russian Hybrid Warfare Threats
UK Technology Sector Expands Nearly 8 Percent as Digital Industry Outpaces Wider Economy
UK Drought Threatens Harvests Across England and Wales as Food Inflation Risks Persist
UK Government Pledges 442 Million Pounds to End Rough Sleeping by Christmas
UK Government Signals Willingness to Reconsider Digital Services Tax Amid US Tariff Threats
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9 Percent as Energy Costs Threaten Economic Recovery
NHS Hospitals Cancel Surgeries as Extreme Heat Pushes Ward Temperatures Above 40 Degrees Celsius
UK Heatwave Forces Emergency Measures as Wildfire Risk, Hospital Disruption and Drought Intensify
A Sleepless Night on Wall Street: Nasdaq to Begin Nearly Round-the-Clock Trading
"The First in the World": 69-Year-Old Protested Artificial Intelligence—and Went to Jail
Ukraine's Ousted Defence Minister Calls for Wartime Presidential Election
UK Marks Ten Years of Night Tube as London Weekend Usage Exceeds Eighty-One Thousand Journeys a Night
Met Office Issues Thunderstorm Warnings Across Northern Ireland Over Flash-Flood Risk
Frasers Group Raises Stake in Hugo Boss to Nearly Forty-Eight Percent
Scottish Clyde Marine Pilots Prepare for Strike That Could Disrupt Glasgow and Greenock Shipping
Twenty Passengers Injured After Southern Train Derails Near Lewes in East Sussex
Government Rules Out High-Speed Rail Revival Between West Midlands and Northern England
West Midlands Bus Network Returns to Public Ownership in Twenty-Four Million Pound Deal
UK Competition Watchdog Targets Trainline, Virgin Atlantic and RED Driving School Over Drip Pricing
Northern Ireland Health Minister Mike Nesbitt Resigns After Dispute Over Causeway Hospital Surgery Closure
UK Long-Term Government Bond Yields Rise to Five Point Eight Five Percent as Borrowing Costs Surge
UK Government Overhauls Planning Rules to Push Housing Development Near Major Transport Hubs
UK Health and Economic Pressures Highlight Wider Strain on Households and Public Finances
UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham Reaffirms Full Support for Ukraine Amid Russian Warnings
Sainsbury’s Suspends Live Facial Recognition at London Store After Customer Misidentified
Artists Urge UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham to Reject New North Sea Oil and Gas Licensing
UK Government Awards Four Hundred and Fifty-Six Million Pound Civil Service Training Contract to EY and KPMG
×