London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Sunday, Feb 22, 2026

Stephen Port: Met Police officer 'utterly failed' in her job

Stephen Port: Met Police officer 'utterly failed' in her job

A Met detective investigating the death of one of serial killer Stephen Port's victims has admitted to an inquest she "utterly failed" in her role.

Det Con Jacqueline Baxter, the designated liaison officer for the family of Gabriel Kovari, told the court she did not even contact them.

She also ignored concerns raised by friends of Mr Kovari, and failed to pass on information to other officers.

Inquests are examining the Met Police's initial investigations of the murders.

(L - R) Anthony Walgate, Daniel Whitworth and Jack Taylor


Between 2014 and 2015 Port killed Mr Kovari, Anthony Walgate, Daniel Whitworth, and Jack Taylor, who were all in their early 20s, with overdoses of GHB before dumping their bodies near his flat in Barking, east London.

The deaths were not treated as suspicious until the final murder and it was not until 2016 that Port, now 46, was given a whole life sentence.

John Pape, a friend of Mr Kovari, emailed Det Con Baxter a number of times to suggest the four deaths might be linked, but she "discounted and dismissed" his suggestion that young men were being drugged and exploited, and did not reply to his messages.

Mr Pape told the inquest, being held at Barking Town Hall, that the only explanation for the force's attitude was "institutional homophobia".

Jurors were shown emails setting out actions for Ms Baxter which she had failed to carry out. She also accepted a formal witness statement she made was inaccurate as she failed to mention her full responsibilities in relation to the Kovari case.

Emails she sent to a coroner's officer showed her wrongly stating that "uniformed officers kept this case as it was not deemed suspicious. I just dealt with the burial company in Lithuania".

During questioning, she accepted the case had not only stayed with uniformed police and she had "got the wrong country" as Mr Kovari came from Slovakia.

Stephen Port was given a whole-life prison term for the murders of four young men


Andrew O'Connor QC, counsel to the inquests, said that a member of the public was "reporting a crime, a serious crime, to the police".

Det Con Baxter said she had been "duped" by a fake suicide note, written by Port and placed on Mr Whitworth's body, which claimed he had accidentally killed Mr Kovari. She therefore ignored other information.

Henrietta Hill QC, for the bereaved families, said the officer had "utterly failed" in her role and her conduct "amounts to an outright failure of professional curiosity".

She said the witness had demonstrated "nil compliance" with her family liaison role.

"Yes", the detective said.

Giving evidence, Mr Pape said: "When grieving families, boyfriend and friends are getting close to the truth and trying to raise the alarm 10 months before the Met are even willing to acknowledge the deaths are suspicious, it can't be a funding issue.

"The only thing that makes sense about how disturbingly incompetent this investigation was is prejudice - conscious and unconscious."

He added: "If the lives and deaths of young gay and bi men aren't treated with significance and respect, I think that amounts to institutional homophobia."

The bodies of Gabriel Kovari, 22, and Daniel Whitworth, 21, were found in St Margaret's churchyard in Barking


Mr Pape said he tracked down Mr Kovari's former boyfriend, Thierry Amodio, who was told by another man - later established to be Port - that the victims were drugged at orgies involving older men.

But Mr Pape said police seemed to dismiss his attempts to provide them with information.

Mr Pape said he contacted gay charities, the gay press and campaigner Peter Tatchell to explain his concerns, adding: "I didn't trust the police to link it properly."

He also raised concerns at the first inquest for Mr Kovari, in June 2015. He asked a detective about the first "unexplained death" and whether it could be linked to his late friend.

Det Insp Rolf Schamberger had replied: "To the best of my knowledge, no link was ever established."

Peter Skelton QC, representing the Met, said the various failings were the result of incompetence by the relevant officers.

"Incompetence doesn't always amount to prejudice," he told Mr Pape.

However, the witness replied there had to be a reason why so many people were making "shocking mistakes".

"They just didn't value those four young men," he said.

The inquests continue.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
UK Police Officers Guarded 2010 Epstein Dinner Attended by Prince Andrew, Reports Say
US Trade Representative Affirms Commitment to Existing Tariff Agreements with UK and Other Partners
Metropolitan Police Deploys Palantir-Powered AI to Flag Potential Officer Misconduct
UK Parliament Rebukes Police Over Ban on Israeli Football Fans
Britain Emerges Among a Small Group of Nations Without a Religious Majority
UK’s Manufacturing Base at Risk as Soaring Energy Costs Weigh on Industry
Matt Goodwin’s Unconventional Campaign for Reform UK in the Gorton and Denton By-Election
US Military Movements in the UK Spark Speculation Over Preparations Related to Iran Tensions
UK Faces Significant Economic Risk From Trump’s New Global Tariff Regime
UK Defence Secretary Signals Intent to Deploy British Troops to Ukraine
UK Students Mark Lunar New Year as Universities Adjust to New Equality Compliance Rules
UK Government Weighs Removing Prince Andrew from Line of Succession After Arrest
Prince Andrew’s Arrest in UK Rekindles Scrutiny Over US Handling of Epstein Records
Trump’s Strategic Warning to UK Over Chagos Islands Deal Sparks Diplomatic Whiplash
Starmer Government Postpones Local Elections Affecting 4.5 Million Voters
UK Economy Remains Fragile Despite Recent Upturn in Headline Indicators
UK Businesses Face Fresh Uncertainty Following US Tariff Ruling
Reform UK’s Senior Figures Face Scrutiny Over Remarks on Women and Family Policy
UK Electric Vehicle Drive Threatened by Shortage of 44,000 Qualified Technicians
University of Kentucky Trustees Advance Academic Reforms and Approve Coliseum Plaza Purchase
Boris Johnson Calls for Immediate Deployment of UK Troops to Support Ukraine
OpenAI CEO Sam Altman praises the rapid progress of Chinese tech companies.
North Korea's capital experiences a significant construction boom with the development of a new city district dubbed 'Pyonghattan'.
New electric vehicle charging service eliminates waiting times
Vox Populi confronts Justin Trudeau at Davos over vaccination policies
Poland's President Karol Nawrocki ENDS support for Ukrainian citizens:
The mayor of Rotherham in Britain
One day after ex-Prince Andrew's arrest, British police are searching his former home, while U.K. lawmakers will consider introducing legislation to remove him from the line of royal succession
Vandana Shiva reminding the world that Bill Gates did not invent anything.
Italy's PM Giorgia Meloni highlights record employment and economic growth
UK Confirms Preferential U.S. Trading Terms Will Continue After Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
U.S. and U.K. to Hold Talks on Diego Garcia as Iran Objects to Potential Military Use
UK Officials Weigh Possible Changes to Prince Andrew’s Position in Line of Succession Amid Ongoing Scrutiny
British Police Probe Epstein’s UK Airport Links and Expand High-Profile Inquiries
The Impact of U.S. Sanctions on Cuba's Humanitarian Crisis: A Tightening Noose
Trump Directs Government to Release UFO and Alien Information
Trump Signs Global 10% Tariffs on Imports
United Kingdom Denies U.S. Access to Military Base for Potential Iran Strike
British Co-founder of ASOS falls to his death from Pattaya apartment
Early 2026 Data Suggests Tentative Recovery for UK Businesses and Households
UK Introduces Digital-First Passport Rules for Dual Citizens in Border Control Overhaul
Unable to Access Live Financial Data for January UK Surplus Report
UK Government Considers Law to Remove Prince Andrew from Royal Line of Succession
UK ‘Working Closely with US’ to Assess Impact of Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
Trump Criticises UK Decision to Restrict Use of Bases in Potential Iran Strike Scenario
UK Foreign Secretary and U.S. State Chief Hold Strategic Talks as Tensions Rise Over Joint Air Base
Two teens arrested in France for alleged terror plot.
Nordic Fracture: How Criminal Scandals and Toxic Ties are Dismantling the Norwegian Crown
US Supreme Court Voids Trump’s Emergency Tariff Plan, Reshaping Trade Power and Fiscal Risk
King Charles III Opens London Fashion Week as Royal Family Faces Fresh Scrutiny
×