London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Sunday, Aug 23, 2026

SAS killings: Ministry of Defence proposes judge-led review

SAS killings: Ministry of Defence proposes judge-led review

The Ministry of Defence has proposed an independent review of how it handled allegations that the SAS executed unarmed civilians in Afghanistan.

The announcement comes after BBC Panorama revealed that one SAS unit was involved in 54 suspicious killings in one six-month tour in 2010/2011.

A spokesperson for the MoD said the review would be led by a senior judge.

But relatives of four men killed in a 2011 raid rejected the review, calling for a full inquiry into the killings.

Lawyers for the family were in the High Court on Tuesday for a hearing in a case brought against the UK defence secretary, Ben Wallace, over the raid.

The raid was one of a number carried out by the SAS in 2010/2011 that raised concerns at the highest levels of UK Special Forces that operatives had a deliberate policy of unlawful killing.

The review proposed by the MoD would only examine the way the allegations were handled, rather than the underlying killings. The MoD has said that military police have already conducted extensive investigations into the killings and failed to find sufficient evidence to prosecute.

But documents cited in court filings on Tuesday reveal there were significant concerns internally that the main Royal Military Police (RMP) investigation - dubbed Operation Northmoor - was deeply flawed.

According to the documents, the senior officer in charge of Operation Northmoor had been personally accused of obstructing one of the murder inquiries against the SAS. Weeks­ before he took up his position as head of the RMP, in 2016, Brigadier David Neal was accused by an RMP officer of trying to improperly close down an investigation into an unlawful killing.

The MoD documents also say that Brigadier Neal was a close friend of the senior SAS officer in charge of the unit that carried out the 54 suspicious killings, who also authored an internal review that exonerated the unit.

Eight cases of alleged unlawful killings were personally shut down by Brigadier Neal. Royal Military Police investigators were keen to speak to the senior SAS officer identified as Neal's close friend, but despite being the unit commander and author of an internal review, he was never interviewed.

According to the court disclosures, Brigadier Neal's deputy on Operation Northmoor later said he was put under "political pressure" to focus on "tactical level command responsibility", rather than senior special forces officers that RMP investigators wanted to question.

Internal documents show that the MoD's chief lawyer, Peter Ryan, was so concerned about the allegations against Brigadier Neal that he wrote in an email to the MoD's permanent secretary that it was likely the brigadier would "be interviewed under caution in the next few weeks".

Mr Ryan also voiced concerns that the officer who had made the allegation was due to leave the armed forces soon, raising the "serious possibility that he will in due course go public with his allegation".

In other MoD documents partly disclosed in court on Tuesday, Mr Ryan wrote in 2020 that the explanations given by the SAS for suspicious deaths in Afghanistan "appear highly questionable, if not actually implausible".

His remarks echoed internal emails from 2011, when senior officers in UK special forces were incredulous at the sheer number of reports from SAS night raids that said a detainee had been taken back inside a building to assist with a clearance, only to grab for a hidden weapon and have to be engaged and killed. Officers referred to the raid as the unit's "latest massacre" and wrote, "You couldn't make it up!"

Mr Ryan also raised concerns about the apparently narrow scope of Operation Northmoor, and an earlier tactical review of the SAS killings, writing that the review seemed "unduly narrowly focused given the strength of insider concerns", and that in Operation Northmoor "only a proportion of the large scale shooting incidents over the six month period in 2010-11 were investigated in any detail. And there have been no investigations of earlier [special forces] deployments, during at least some of which even more Afghans were killed, again with relatively few weapons being recovered".

In internal communications, Mr Ryan's deputy Ben Sanders asked why the military justice system had "proven incapable of achieving accountability".

Operation Northmoor was wound down in 2019 without referring any individuals for prosecution.

Another document cited in court filings on Tuesday shows that a member of the British armed forces responsible for dealing with complaints about conduct tried to obstruct scrutiny of the 2011 raid at the centre of the court case.

In an email to a special forces lawyer, the officer wrote: "I believe there is an opportunity to 'nip' this allegation before it becomes an official allegation and is fed into either the national or ISAF chain of commands in Kabul, attracting lots of scrutiny."

The email came after a leading international organisation operating in Afghanistan raised concerns that detainees taken back inside buildings were being instructed to "pick up a weapon" to create a "manufactured 'self-defence' scenario", before being shot dead.

The shadow defence secretary, John Healey, told the BBC the MoD's proposed inquiry was a "welcome first step".

"Australian Special Forces were then investigated fully by a properly resourced inquiry - backed by privacy and military expertise," he said. "There is no reason why this should possible in Britain."

Tessa Gregory, a partner at Leigh Day law firm, which is representing Saifullah's family, said the review proposed by the MoD was "so limited in what it can look at that it cannot bring the truth to light".

"Our clients desperately need answers to why their loved ones died and any investigation must fearlessly examine the underlying allegations of extrajudicial killings."

A Ministry of Defence spokesperson said: "The Defence Secretary has decided to propose an independent review to be led by a senior judge into issues arising from the handing of allegations of misconduct that are the subject of these proceedings. The review will consider what lessons can be learned and make any recommendations for the future."

They also said the SAS allegations were historic and that the proposed review had been in discussion for a number of months, before the BBC's investigation was published in July.


SAS killings in Afghanistan: The story of one suspicious death


Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
UK Opens National Artificial Intelligence Safety Testing Facility
UK Government Finalizes Plans to Bring Remaining Regional Rail Services Into Public Ownership
Environment Agency Imposes Record Penalties on Water Companies Over Illegal Sewage Discharges
Great British Energy Announces Offshore Wind Partnership in North Sea
UK Government Tightens Planning Rules to Accelerate Housing Development
NHS Launches Digital Overhaul to Cut Elective Care Waiting Lists
Bank of England Signals Interest Rates May Stay Higher for Longer as Inflation Pressures Persist
The rise and fall of Hui Ka Yan, China’s richest man
Woke: Britain Considers Plain Packaging for Cigars as Specialist Shops Warn of Industry Collapse
Britain's Public-Service Productivity Remains Below 2019 as £80 Billion Output Gap Fuels WFH Debate
Mandelson Epstein Case in Jeopardy as U.S. Files Stay Out of Reach
Prince Harry and Six Others Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million After High Court Defeat
Bank of England Holds Interest Rate at 3.75% as Inflation and Energy Risks Persist
UK AI Security Tests Find Autonomous Agent Attempting Malicious Code Injection
UK Economy Grows 0.4% in Second Quarter Amid Global Pressures
UK Joins European Allies in Condemning Israeli Settlement Plans in West Bank E1 Area
Multiple People Killed in A66 Collision Near Middlesbrough Involving Police Vehicle
UK Government Holds First National Day for Victims and Survivors of Terrorism
UK Met Office Warns of Severe Autumn Storms as Strong El Niño Follows Historic Drought
Petrol Bombs Set Luxury Cars Alight Outside Birmingham Wedding as Police Hunt Three Men
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Prince Harry and Co-Claimants Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million Toward Daily Mail Publisher’s Legal Costs
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Reportedly Plan Return to Britain With Their Children
UK Court Ruling Threatens Deportation Plans for Potential Trafficking Victims to Albania
Kemi Badenoch Presses UK Government for Decisions on Rosebank and Jackdaw Oil Fields
UK Foreign Affairs Committee Chair Calls for Ban on Goods from Occupied West Bank
Andy Burnham Government to Place Civil Servants Directly in English Mayoral Offices
Met Office Warns Major El Niño Could Bring Stormier, Wetter Autumn to UK
UK Economy Gains Unexpected Momentum Ahead of Andy Burnham Government’s First Budget
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Royal Navy to Accelerate DragonFire Laser Deployment Against Growing Drone Threat
Northern Ireland Approves Five Hundred Million Pound Belfast Harbour Expansion
Great British Railways Takes Full Control of Avanti West Coast as Rail Nationalisation Reaches Final Stage
UK AI Safety Institute Calls for Mandatory Security Audits of Advanced AI Models
Scotland Secures Three Billion Pounds for Floating Offshore Wind Hub in Aberdeen
Government Overrides Local Councils to Approve Green Belt Housing Across Southern England
UK and EU Move Toward Mutual Recognition of Food Standards to Ease Cross-Channel Trade
Government Plans Multibillion-Pound Private Healthcare Expansion to Cut NHS Surgical Backlogs
Bank of England Signals Faster Rate Cuts as Inflation Falls Below the Two Percent Target
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
Moderna Shares Surge After Positive Personalized Skin Cancer Trial Results
×