London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Sunday, Nov 30, 2025

Rail firm reduces services ‘after losing passengers to Elizabeth line’

Rail firm reduces services ‘after losing passengers to Elizabeth line’

MPs to probe decision by Southeastern Railway to axe more than 700 trains a week

MPs are to scrutinise a rail firm’s plan to axe services – including a link to the Elizabeth line – that has angered passengers.

Southeastern, which was taken under Government control last year, is imposing a series of cuts and service reductions in its new timetable from December 11 to save £10m a year.

Among the changes are the axing of the suburban “loop” from Cannon Street, which goes via Sidcup and Abbey Wood before returning to Cannon Street.

This means passengers from stations such as Bexley and Erith will lose their direct link to Abbey Wood, where they can currently board Elizabeth line trains to Canary Wharf and on to the West End and Heathrow.


Abbey Wood: Southeastern and Thameslink passengers can switch onto the Elizabeth line

Southeastern said the success of the Elizabeth line, which carries about 300,000 passengers a day on its central section between Abbey Wood and Paddington, “has reduced demand on our own train services, and we therefore need to adapt our timetables accordingly”.

Labour MP Clive Efford, who represents Eltham, will lead a Westminster Hall debate on Tuesday into the changes, which are being introduced without consultation.

Other MPs who have expressed alarm about the new timetable include Sir Bob Neill, Abena Oppong-Asare, Matthew Pennycook and Ellie Reeves.

Sir Bob Neill, Tory MP for Bromley and Chislehurst, said the changes appeared to be “rushed and ill thought through” and reminiscent of previous “botched” timetable changes by other rail firms that had to be reversed.

He said pre-pandemic his constituency had the second highest number of rail commuters in England and Wales, behind only Lewisham West and Penge.


Mr Efford said the Government had used the pandemic “as an excuse” to allow peak services to be cut – and warned of trains becoming “chronically overcrowded” as more commuters returned to central London.

Steven Reilly-Hii, a Bexley resident who uses the Elizabeth Line to commute to Canary Wharf and at weekends to travel via Liverpool Street, said: “It’s farcical that Southeastern have waited until the Elizabeth Line has finally opened to then pull the direct way of reaching it for many people - plus not bother to consult the paying public about it.”

Southeastern: axing hundreds of trains to save £10m a year

The number of Southeastern trains will fall by more than 300 each weekday, from 1,988 pre-pandemic to 1,686 under the new timetable, transport minister Huw Merriman revealed in a written parliamentary answer.

Across its seven-day timetable, Southeastern will operate 3,913 services – 728 fewer, or a loss of one in six trains.

A Southeastern spokesman confirmed the Sidcup “loop” services were being axed.

But six London-bound trains an hour would call at Abbey Wood throughout the day – either Southeastern or Thameslink services – he said.

Campaigners have launched a petition to save the loop train.

The firm said it wanted to improve punctuality by reducing by two-thirds the number of trains crossing each other’s route at “notorious bottlenecks” such as Lewisham junction.

Its modelling predicts 12 per cent fewer cancellations and some 300,000 more “on time” – namely, within 59 seconds of timetable - station stops each year.

Southeastern wants to “match space on trains with demand” - its passenger numbers are down about 40 per cent on Mondays and Fridays, due to the post-pandemic collapse in five-day commuters.

It is also scrapping first class – freeing up an extra 60 seats on a 12-carriage train.

On the Sidcup line, Southeastern says passenger numbers have fallen from 23m a year to 12m a year.

Abbey Wood station was rebuilt for the opening of the Elizabeth line


On the Woolwich line, which includes Abbey Wood, all trains will be routed into Cannon Street station, rather than a third going to Charing Cross. There will be five Southeastern trains an hour in the morning peak, and four in the evening peak out of Cannon Street.

Passengers wanting to get to Charing Cross will need to change at London Bridge.

On the Sidcup line, all off-peak and weekend trains will run into Charing Cross, with no services into Cannon Street. There will be six trains an hour at peak times using both stations.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
250 Still Missing in the Massive Fire, 94 Killed. One Day After the Disaster: Survivor Rescued on the 16th Floor
Trump: National Guard Soldier Who Was Shot in Washington Has Died; Second Soldier Fighting for His Life
UK Chancellor Reeves Defends Tax Rises as Essential to Reduce Child Poverty and Stabilise Public Finances
No Evidence Found for Claim That UK Schools Are Shifting to Teaching American English
European Powers Urge Israel to Halt West Bank Settler Violence Amid Surge in Attacks
"I Would Have Given Her a Kidney": She Lent Bezos’s Ex-Wife $1,000 — and Received Millions in Return
European States Approve First-ever Military-Grade Surveillance Network via ESA
UK to Slash Key Pension Tax Perk, Targeting High Earners Under New Budget
UK Government Announces £150 Annual Cut to Household Energy Bills Through Levy Reforms
UK Court Hears Challenge to Ban on Palestine Action as Critics Decry Heavy-Handed Measures
Investors Rush Into UK Gilts and Sterling After Budget Eases Fiscal Concerns
UK to Raise Online Betting Taxes by £1.1 Billion Under New Budget — Firms Warn of Fallout
Lamine Yamal? The ‘Heir to Messi’ Lost to Barcelona — and the Kingdom Is in a Frenzy
Warner Music Group Drops Suit Against Suno, Launches Licensed AI-Music Deal
HP to Cut up to 6,000 Jobs Globally as It Ramps Up AI Integration
MediaWorld Sold iPad Air for €15 — Then Asked Customers to Return Them or Pay More
UK Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer Promises ‘Full-Time’ Education for All Children as School Attendance Slips
UK Extends Sugar Tax to Sweetened Milkshakes and Lattes in 2028 Health Push
UK Government Backs £49 Billion Plan for Heathrow Third Runway and Expansion
UK Gambling Firms Report £1bn Surge in Annual Profits as Pressure Mounts for Higher Betting Taxes
UK Shares Advance Ahead of Budget as Financials and Consumer Staples Lead Gains
Domino’s UK CEO Andrew Rennie Steps Down Amid Strategic Reset
UK Economy Stalls as Reeves Faces First Budget Test
UK Economy’s Weak Start Adds Pressure on Prime Minister Starmer
UK Government Acknowledges Billionaire Exodus Amid Tax Rise Concerns
UK Budget 2025: Markets Brace as Chancellor Faces Fiscal Tightrope
UK Unveils Strategic Plan to Secure Critical Mineral Supply Chains
UK Taskforce Calls for Radical Reset of Nuclear Regulation to Cut Costs and Accelerate Build
UK Government Launches Consultation on Major Overhaul of Settlement Rules
Google Struggles to Meet AI Demand as Infrastructure, Energy and Supply-Chain Gaps Deepen
Car Parts Leader Warns Europe Faces Heavy Job Losses in ‘Darwinian’ Auto Shake-Out
Arsenal Move Six Points Clear After Eze’s Historic Hat-Trick in Derby Rout
Wealthy New Yorkers Weigh Second Homes as the ‘Mamdani Effect’ Ripples Through Luxury Markets
Families Accuse OpenAI of Enabling ‘AI-Driven Delusions’ After Multiple Suicides
UK Unveils Critical-Minerals Strategy to Break China Supply-Chain Grip
Taylor Swift’s “The Fate of Ophelia” Extends U.K. No. 1 Run to Five Weeks
UK VPN Sign-Ups Surge by Over 1,400 % as Age-Verification Law Takes Effect
Former MEP Nathan Gill Jailed for Over Ten Years After Taking Pro-Russia Bribes
Majority of UK Entrepreneurs Regard Government as ‘Anti-Business’, Survey Shows
UK’s Starmer and US President Trump Align as Geneva Talks Probe Ukraine Peace Plan
UK Prime Minister Signals Former Prince Andrew Should Testify to US Epstein Inquiry
Royal Navy Deploys HMS Severn to Shadow Russian Corvette and Tanker Off UK Coast
China’s Wedding Boom: Nightclubs, Mountains and a Demographic Reset
Fugees Founding Member Pras Michel Sentenced to 14 Years in High-Profile US Foreign Influence Case
WhatsApp’s Unexpected Rise Reshapes American Messaging Habits
United States: Judge Dressed Up as Elvis During Hearings – and Was Forced to Resign
Johnson Blasts ‘Incoherent’ Covid Inquiry Findings Amid Report’s Harsh Critique of His Government
Lord Rothermere Secures £500 Million Deal to Acquire Telegraph Titles
Maduro Tightens Security Measures as U.S. Strike Threat Intensifies
U.S. Envoys Deliver Ultimatum to Ukraine: Sign Peace Deal by Thursday or Risk Losing American Support
×