London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Sunday, Feb 22, 2026

Queen not attending Commonwealth Day service, says palace

Queen not attending Commonwealth Day service, says palace

Monarch, who recently recovered from Covid, ‘will continue with other planned engagements’

The Queen will not attend the annual Commonwealth Day service at Westminster Abbey on Monday, Buckingham Palace has confirmed.

The 95-year-old monarch, who is the head of the Commonwealth, had hoped to join the Prince of Wales, the Duchess of Cornwall and the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge at the event, after recently recovering from Covid-19.

A Buckingham Palace spokesperson said: “After discussing the arrangements with the royal household, the Queen has asked the Prince of Wales to represent Her Majesty at the Commonwealth service at Westminster Abbey on Monday.

“The Queen will continue with other planned engagements, including in-person audiences, in the week ahead.”

It is thought the decision was not due to any illness, but to discussions about the comfort of getting the Queen to and from the service.

She will instead send a video message to the congregation. The celebration is a favourite of the monarch, with music, poetry and speeches performed in an ode to the “family of nations”.

Guests will also include Boris Johnson, Commonwealth secretary-general Lady Scotland, high commissioners, ambassadors, senior politicians and dignitaries from across the UK and Commonwealth, faith leaders and more than 600 schoolchildren and young people.

The palace confirmed that the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester would not be attending the service, as the Duke had tested positive for coronavirus.

The news comes days after it was announced that the Queen will be moving out of Buckingham Palace and into her residence in Windsor Castle for the foreseeable future. She had been undertaking “light duties”, the palace said, since a bout of ill-health, though was not currently ill.

However, she is known to have suffered from mobility issues. The monarch regularly uses a walking stick and recently spoke about her physical health, telling two senior military officers who asked how she was during a Windsor Castle reception: “Well, as you can see, I can’t move.”

Instead, she is thought to be pacing herself before her 96th birthday celebrations in six weeks.

The Queen last cancelled an appearance at the Commonwealth Day service nine years ago in 2013, when she was recovering from a bout of gastroenteritis. Before that, she hadn’t missed a single service for 20 years, the last occasion being when she caught flu in 1993.

The Queen returned to in-person events on Monday, when she welcomed Canada’s prime minister, Justin Trudeau, to Windsor Castle. She was pictured sharing a joke with the politician at the start of their meeting – and was using a walking stick.

Prior to her Covid infection, her last public in-person meeting was on 5 February, when she hosted a reception at her home in Sandringham to celebrate her platinum jubilee.

Meanwhile, a spokesperson for Prince Harry has confirmed he will not return to the UK for Prince Philip’s memorial service on 29 March.

However, the Duke of Sussex did hope to visit his grandmother the Queen soon, the spokesperson said.

In February, the Duke launched legal action against the Home Office for denying his family access to police protection when they visit the country. He was last in Britain in the summer of 2021, to unveil a statue of his mother, Diana, Princess of Wales, at Kensington Palace.

On the same trip his security was compromised when his car was chased by paparazzi photographers as he left a charity event.

A legal representative of the Duke said that he feels his family are “unable to return home because it is too dangerous”.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
US Trade Representative Affirms Commitment to Existing Tariff Agreements with UK and Other Partners
UK Defence Secretary Signals Intent to Deploy British Troops to Ukraine
UK Students Mark Lunar New Year as Universities Adjust to New Equality Compliance Rules
UK Government Weighs Removing Prince Andrew from Line of Succession After Arrest
Prince Andrew’s Arrest in UK Rekindles Scrutiny Over US Handling of Epstein Records
Trump’s Strategic Warning to UK Over Chagos Islands Deal Sparks Diplomatic Whiplash
Starmer Government Postpones Local Elections Affecting 4.5 Million Voters
UK Economy Remains Fragile Despite Recent Upturn in Headline Indicators
UK Businesses Face Fresh Uncertainty Following US Tariff Ruling
Reform UK’s Senior Figures Face Scrutiny Over Remarks on Women and Family Policy
UK Electric Vehicle Drive Threatened by Shortage of 44,000 Qualified Technicians
University of Kentucky Trustees Advance Academic Reforms and Approve Coliseum Plaza Purchase
Boris Johnson Calls for Immediate Deployment of UK Troops to Support Ukraine
OpenAI CEO Sam Altman praises the rapid progress of Chinese tech companies.
North Korea's capital experiences a significant construction boom with the development of a new city district dubbed 'Pyonghattan'.
New electric vehicle charging service eliminates waiting times
Vox Populi confronts Justin Trudeau at Davos over vaccination policies
Poland's President Karol Nawrocki ENDS support for Ukrainian citizens:
The mayor of Rotherham in Britain
One day after ex-Prince Andrew's arrest, British police are searching his former home, while U.K. lawmakers will consider introducing legislation to remove him from the line of royal succession
Vandana Shiva reminding the world that Bill Gates did not invent anything.
Italy's PM Giorgia Meloni highlights record employment and economic growth
UK Confirms Preferential U.S. Trading Terms Will Continue After Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
U.S. and U.K. to Hold Talks on Diego Garcia as Iran Objects to Potential Military Use
UK Officials Weigh Possible Changes to Prince Andrew’s Position in Line of Succession Amid Ongoing Scrutiny
British Police Probe Epstein’s UK Airport Links and Expand High-Profile Inquiries
The Impact of U.S. Sanctions on Cuba's Humanitarian Crisis: A Tightening Noose
Trump Directs Government to Release UFO and Alien Information
Trump Signs Global 10% Tariffs on Imports
United Kingdom Denies U.S. Access to Military Base for Potential Iran Strike
British Co-founder of ASOS falls to his death from Pattaya apartment
Early 2026 Data Suggests Tentative Recovery for UK Businesses and Households
UK Introduces Digital-First Passport Rules for Dual Citizens in Border Control Overhaul
Unable to Access Live Financial Data for January UK Surplus Report
UK Government Considers Law to Remove Prince Andrew from Royal Line of Succession
UK ‘Working Closely with US’ to Assess Impact of Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
Trump Criticises UK Decision to Restrict Use of Bases in Potential Iran Strike Scenario
UK Foreign Secretary and U.S. State Chief Hold Strategic Talks as Tensions Rise Over Joint Air Base
Two teens arrested in France for alleged terror plot.
Nordic Fracture: How Criminal Scandals and Toxic Ties are Dismantling the Norwegian Crown
US Supreme Court Voids Trump’s Emergency Tariff Plan, Reshaping Trade Power and Fiscal Risk
King Charles III Opens London Fashion Week as Royal Family Faces Fresh Scrutiny
Trump’s Evolving Stance on UK Chagos Islands Deal Draws Renewed Scrutiny
House Democrat Says Former UK Ambassador Unable to Testify in Congressional Epstein Inquiry
No Record of Prince Andrew Arrest in UK as Claims Circulate Online
UK Has Not Granted US Approval to Launch Iran Strikes from RAF Bases, Government Confirms
AI Pricing Pressure Mounts as Chinese Models Undercut US Rivals and Margin Risks Grow
Global Counsel, Advisory Firm Co-Founded by Lord Mandelson, Enters Administration After Client Exodus
London High Court dispute over Ricardo Salinas’s $400mn Elektra share-backed bitcoin loan
UK Intensifies Efforts to Secure Saudi Investment in Next-Generation Fighter Jet Programme
×