London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Saturday, Aug 22, 2026

Prince Andrew settles US civil sex assault case with Virginia Giuffre

Prince Andrew settles US civil sex assault case with Virginia Giuffre

Prince Andrew has settled a civil sexual assault case brought against him in the US by Virginia Giuffre.

Ms Giuffre had been suing the Duke of York, claiming he sexually assaulted her on three occasions when she was 17, allegations he has repeatedly denied.

A letter filed to the US district court on Tuesday said the duke and Ms Giuffre had reached an out-of-court settlement.

It said the duke - who makes no admission of liability - would pay an undisclosed sum to Ms Giuffre.

In a letter to US judge Lewis A Kaplan, Ms Giuffre's lawyer David Boies wrote jointly with Prince Andrew's lawyers to say the pair had reached "a settlement in principle".

A statement included with the letter read: "The parties will file a stipulated dismissal upon Ms Giuffre's receipt of the settlement (the sum of which is not being disclosed)."

It said the duke would make a "substantial donation to Ms Giuffre's charity in support of victims' rights".


Prince Andrew, the statement added, had "never intended to malign Ms Giuffre's character" and he recognised she had "suffered both as an established victim of abuse and as a result of unfair public attacks".

The duke also pledged to "demonstrate his regret for his association" with the late convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein by supporting the "fight against the evils of sex trafficking, and by supporting its victims".

He also commended the "bravery of Ms Giuffre and other survivors in standing up for themselves and others".

Prince Andrew's lawyers had previously said he was ready to go before a jury to fight Ms Giuffre's claims, with a trial expected later this year.

His representatives said he had no comment beyond what was said in the document filed to the court. Buckingham Palace declined to comment on the settlement.

Although the exact amount of the financial settlement has not been revealed, reports have speculated that it could run into millions of pounds.

It has prompted questions about how the duke - who receives a Royal Navy pension and a stipend from the Queen's Duchy of Lancaster income - will fund the settlement.

Kate Macnab, a lawyer at Reeds Solicitors, says: "It is likely there will be some demands to know where the payment is coming from - public or private purse?"

Graham Smith from the anti-monarchy group Republic said taxpayers deserved to know where the money for the settlement was coming from.

Ms Giuffre, who was previously known as Virginia Roberts, claimed she was the victim of sex trafficking and abuse by financier Epstein from the age of 16. Epstein died in prison in 2019 while awaiting a sex trafficking trial.

She said part of the abuse saw her lent out to powerful men, including Prince Andrew, who is the third child of the Queen and ninth in line to the throne.

Ms Giuffre, now 38, claimed the duke, 61, sexually assaulted her on three occasions when she was 17 at Ghislaine Maxwell's home in London, in Epstein's mansion in New York and on Epstein's private island in the US Virgin Islands.

No way back to royal life for Prince Andrew

Once the trial was given the nod, it was always going to be uncomfortable, to say the least, for Prince Andrew - but this settlement is about as good as it gets for him, barring going to trial and winning.

He avoids having to give a sworn statement, which was scheduled for early next month; he makes no admission of guilt; there will be no civil trial, no further airing of accusations and evidence.

He is innocent, because he has not been found guilty of anything. So he is disentangled from any legal threat.

But he is still badly damaged by the past few years; his friendship with a convicted paedophile and a convicted child trafficker will always hang over his reputation; the very fact that a civil trial beckoned will, rightly or wrongly, be held against him.

There's nothing from the palace tonight about the settlement.

Instead journalists were pointed toward the announcement in January that the Prince would lose his Royal titles and patronages.

That fits with what sources have indicated for the past few years - that there is no way back for Prince Andrew.

In a 2019 interview with BBC Newsnight, Prince Andrew said he had no memory of ever meeting Ms Giuffre and said her account of their London meeting and sex at a house in Belgravia "didn't happen".

He also said knowing Epstein had had "some seriously beneficial outcomes", at a time when he had left a career in the Navy and begun one as a trade and industry special representative.

Ms Giuffre claims the late billionaire financier trafficked her to have sex with Prince Andrew when she was 17.


In January, the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York ruled that the civil action over him could go ahead.

Buckingham Palace later announced that Prince Andrew's military titles and royal patronages had been returned to the Queen and that he would defend Ms Giuffre's civil case as a "private citizen".

A royal source said he would also stop using the title His Royal Highness in an official capacity.

Lisa Bloom, a lawyer representing several of Epstein's accusers, welcomed the duke's settlement as a "victory" for Ms Giuffre.

In a statement on Twitter on behalf of her clients, she wrote: "We hail Virginia's victory today. She has accomplished what no-one else could: getting Prince Andrew to stop his nonsense and side with sexual abuse victims. We salute Virginia's stunning courage."

The settlement is likely to come as a relief to the Royal Family, BBC royal correspondent Nicholas Witchell said, as it means the prospect of a trial will not disrupt the Queen's Platinum Jubilee celebrations.

He said the duke could have been under pressure from within his family to settle the case to avoid further public court hearings.

The courtroom drama is over before it began

This settlement may feel like it has come from nowhere, but it's been hard to find a lawyer who thought that Prince Andrew would fight this case all the way to jury trial.

What is remarkable, however, is the wording. A settlement is not an admission of wrongdoing, but the prince does not repeat his oft-repeated insistence that he did nothing wrong.

Earlier in the case, he had allowed his lawyers to accuse Ms Giuffre of initiating a "baseless lawsuit... to achieve another payday at his expense".

She was accused of making so much money from her Epstein allegations that she had a "compelling motive" to launch a "frivolous" lawsuit against the prince.

All that is gone, never to be repeated again: swept away in a 32-word sentence that accepts Virginia Giuffre has been a victim of abuse and her character cannot be questioned.

The courtroom drama is over before it began. The court of public opinion will decide what the prince's words mean.

In December last year, Maxwell, 60, was found guilty of recruiting and trafficking underage girls to be sexually abused by Epstein.

Last month, the former British socialite officially requested a retrial after a juror in the case told the media he used his own experience of being sexually abused to influence jurors reaching a verdict.

The settlement statement in full


Virginia Giuffre and Prince Andrew have reached an out-of-court settlement.

The parties will file a stipulated dismissal upon Ms Giuffre's receipt of the settlement (the sum of which is not being disclosed).

Prince Andrew intends to make a substantial donation to Ms Giuffre's charity in support of victims' rights.

Prince Andrew has never intended to malign Ms Giuffre's character, and he accepts that she has suffered both as an established victim of abuse and as a result of unfair public attacks.

It is known that Jeffrey Epstein trafficked countless young girls over many years.

Prince Andrew regrets his association with Epstein, and commends the bravery of Ms Giuffre and other survivors in standing up for themselves and others.

He pledges to demonstrate his regret for his association with Epstein by supporting the fight against the evils of sex trafficking, and by supporting its victims.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
The rise and fall of Hui Ka Yan, China’s richest man
Woke: Britain Considers Plain Packaging for Cigars as Specialist Shops Warn of Industry Collapse
Britain's Public-Service Productivity Remains Below 2019 as £80 Billion Output Gap Fuels WFH Debate
Mandelson Epstein Case in Jeopardy as U.S. Files Stay Out of Reach
Prince Harry and Six Others Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million After High Court Defeat
Bank of England Holds Interest Rate at 3.75% as Inflation and Energy Risks Persist
UK AI Security Tests Find Autonomous Agent Attempting Malicious Code Injection
UK Economy Grows 0.4% in Second Quarter Amid Global Pressures
UK Joins European Allies in Condemning Israeli Settlement Plans in West Bank E1 Area
Multiple People Killed in A66 Collision Near Middlesbrough Involving Police Vehicle
UK Government Holds First National Day for Victims and Survivors of Terrorism
UK Met Office Warns of Severe Autumn Storms as Strong El Niño Follows Historic Drought
Petrol Bombs Set Luxury Cars Alight Outside Birmingham Wedding as Police Hunt Three Men
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Prince Harry and Co-Claimants Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million Toward Daily Mail Publisher’s Legal Costs
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Reportedly Plan Return to Britain With Their Children
UK Court Ruling Threatens Deportation Plans for Potential Trafficking Victims to Albania
Kemi Badenoch Presses UK Government for Decisions on Rosebank and Jackdaw Oil Fields
UK Foreign Affairs Committee Chair Calls for Ban on Goods from Occupied West Bank
Andy Burnham Government to Place Civil Servants Directly in English Mayoral Offices
Met Office Warns Major El Niño Could Bring Stormier, Wetter Autumn to UK
UK Economy Gains Unexpected Momentum Ahead of Andy Burnham Government’s First Budget
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Royal Navy to Accelerate DragonFire Laser Deployment Against Growing Drone Threat
Northern Ireland Approves Five Hundred Million Pound Belfast Harbour Expansion
Great British Railways Takes Full Control of Avanti West Coast as Rail Nationalisation Reaches Final Stage
UK AI Safety Institute Calls for Mandatory Security Audits of Advanced AI Models
Scotland Secures Three Billion Pounds for Floating Offshore Wind Hub in Aberdeen
Government Overrides Local Councils to Approve Green Belt Housing Across Southern England
UK and EU Move Toward Mutual Recognition of Food Standards to Ease Cross-Channel Trade
Government Plans Multibillion-Pound Private Healthcare Expansion to Cut NHS Surgical Backlogs
Bank of England Signals Faster Rate Cuts as Inflation Falls Below the Two Percent Target
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
Moderna Shares Surge After Positive Personalized Skin Cancer Trial Results
UK Markets Watch US National Debt Surpass Forty Trillion Dollars
UK Broadcasters Urge Government to Invest in Digital Participation and Broadband
CVC Capital Partners and Standard Life Launch Two Billion Pound Pension Risk Transfer Venture
UK Private Sector Productivity Growth Accelerates in Second Quarter
UK Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband Condemns Israeli E1 Settlement Tender
UK Watchdog Investigates Trainline, Virgin Atlantic and RED Driving School Over Hidden Fees
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Plan Move to Private Home Outside London
×