London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Saturday, Nov 29, 2025

P&O Ferries has ‘got away with it’, say unions as Shapps backtracks on action

P&O Ferries has ‘got away with it’, say unions as Shapps backtracks on action

Two-week battle to hold company to account for sacking of 786 crew members appears to end with a whimper
A two-week battle to hold P&O Ferries to account for the summary sacking of 786 crew members appears to have ended with a whimper, as unions said the Dubai-owned company had “got away with it” after ministers backtracked on legal action and all but one employee accepted the firm’s controversial payoff ahead of Thursday’s deadline.

All of P&O Ferries’ crew working on British contracts issued out of Jersey were fired on 17 March, to be replaced by cheap agency workers. The firm gave the sacked workers a deadline of 5pm on Thursday to accept or forfeit a payoff which they said compensated for the breach of their employment rights.

The firm said by early Thursday afternoon all but one crew member, who could not be identified, had joined their redundancy process. The offer included a gagging clause prohibiting sacked crew from discussing P&O or taking further legal action. The promised payouts are understood to be higher than staff could have won had they sued at industrial tribunal.

While the government unveiled proposals to tighten up maritime employment law this week, including legislation to make all ferries serving UK ports pay minimum wage, there was growing disillusionment over potential enforcement action.

A spokesperson for the Nautilus union, which represented around a third of the sacked crew, said: “P&O has gotten away with it. There’s no fine, there’s no legal action, there’s only words and hot air.”

They added: “What we’re really after now is systemic change so this can never happen again.”

Ministers have ignored calls from MPs to use other sanctions, such as excluding P&O Ferries owner DP World from the running of new freeports in the UK.

The Dubai-based group stands to benefit from around £50m of tax breaks by playing a leading role in establishing two freeports at London Gateway and Southampton.

Labour has also demanded answers from the Foreign Office over a $720m (£548m) investment in DP World ports in Africa, using development aid money. Shadow minister Preet Kaur Gill wrote to Liz Truss to raise Labour’s concerns about using “taxpayers’ money to subsidise the business of a company that has treated British workers with such contempt”.

The RMT union vowed to continue the fight but a spokesperson said sacked P&O Ferries members “had a gun to their head” as the Thursday deadline passed, as they could lose all redundancy pay.

Ministers had encouraged individual employees to take the firm to a tribunal, but the government has backed away from its own pledges of legal action after P&O chief executive, Peter Hebblethwaite, admitted deliberately flouting employment law.

Last week Boris Johnson told parliament: “We will take them to court, we will defend the rights of British workers … P&O plainly aren’t going to get away with it.”

However, on Wednesday, the transport secretary admitted: “The government are not in a position to take court action.”

Grant Shapps said he had asked the Insolvency Service to consider disqualifying Hebblethwaite for breaking the law but added: “It is, of course, for the Insolvency Service to decide what happens next.”

The business secretary, Kwasi Kwarteng, had originally warned P&O that it could face an unlimited fine, after asking the Insolvency Service to investigate. A government spokesperson said on Thursday: “No decision has been taken yet but we will not hesitate to take further action if we find evidence of wrongdoing.”

Labour said the government’s stance was “bewildering”. The shadow transport secretary, Louise Haigh, said P&O escaping without consequences would “give the green light to bad bosses across the country”.

Haigh added: “The government must throw the book at P&O Ferries. Their reluctance to use every tool at their disposal force to hold P&O Ferries to account is bewildering.

“Ministers must ensure the chief executive and those responsible are kicked out for their unlawful action, and explain why the legal action they promised to workers is not being taken.”

Mick Lynch, the general secretary of the RMT, said: “They have said they will take legal action against P&O and we’re holding them to it. Why do they think they are still fit and proper to have a public role in freeports or anything else? We think they should be sanctioned in the same way as Russian oligarchs have been sanctioned.”

While unions and many MPs remained supportive of the government’s proposals to address low pay in the sector, a long-neglected issue, there was growing disillusion as a crucial plank of Shapps’ plan was described as unworkable.

The transport secretary told parliament that the government would write to the operators of British ports telling them to refuse access to companies that did not pay the UK minimum rate.

However, the British Ports Association immediately warned that expecting port authorities to enforce such rules “could be unworkable” and would “place ports in a difficult legal predicament”.

The chief executive of Major Ports Group, Tim Morris, told the BBC Today programme: “What’s being proposed here is quite different from normal good practice … a specific legal duty, a liability, to ensure that another business is complying with employment law. We are not police, we are not enforcement agencies of the law.”

Sailings were not expected to restart on P&O Ferries passenger services out of Dover, Hull, Larne and Cairnryan for several days, with two vessels having failed inspections since the replacement crew boarded.
Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
250 Still Missing in the Massive Fire, 94 Killed. One Day After the Disaster: Survivor Rescued on the 16th Floor
Trump: National Guard Soldier Who Was Shot in Washington Has Died; Second Soldier Fighting for His Life
UK Chancellor Reeves Defends Tax Rises as Essential to Reduce Child Poverty and Stabilise Public Finances
No Evidence Found for Claim That UK Schools Are Shifting to Teaching American English
European Powers Urge Israel to Halt West Bank Settler Violence Amid Surge in Attacks
"I Would Have Given Her a Kidney": She Lent Bezos’s Ex-Wife $1,000 — and Received Millions in Return
European States Approve First-ever Military-Grade Surveillance Network via ESA
UK to Slash Key Pension Tax Perk, Targeting High Earners Under New Budget
UK Government Announces £150 Annual Cut to Household Energy Bills Through Levy Reforms
UK Court Hears Challenge to Ban on Palestine Action as Critics Decry Heavy-Handed Measures
Investors Rush Into UK Gilts and Sterling After Budget Eases Fiscal Concerns
UK to Raise Online Betting Taxes by £1.1 Billion Under New Budget — Firms Warn of Fallout
Lamine Yamal? The ‘Heir to Messi’ Lost to Barcelona — and the Kingdom Is in a Frenzy
Warner Music Group Drops Suit Against Suno, Launches Licensed AI-Music Deal
HP to Cut up to 6,000 Jobs Globally as It Ramps Up AI Integration
MediaWorld Sold iPad Air for €15 — Then Asked Customers to Return Them or Pay More
UK Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer Promises ‘Full-Time’ Education for All Children as School Attendance Slips
UK Extends Sugar Tax to Sweetened Milkshakes and Lattes in 2028 Health Push
UK Government Backs £49 Billion Plan for Heathrow Third Runway and Expansion
UK Gambling Firms Report £1bn Surge in Annual Profits as Pressure Mounts for Higher Betting Taxes
UK Shares Advance Ahead of Budget as Financials and Consumer Staples Lead Gains
Domino’s UK CEO Andrew Rennie Steps Down Amid Strategic Reset
UK Economy Stalls as Reeves Faces First Budget Test
UK Economy’s Weak Start Adds Pressure on Prime Minister Starmer
UK Government Acknowledges Billionaire Exodus Amid Tax Rise Concerns
UK Budget 2025: Markets Brace as Chancellor Faces Fiscal Tightrope
UK Unveils Strategic Plan to Secure Critical Mineral Supply Chains
UK Taskforce Calls for Radical Reset of Nuclear Regulation to Cut Costs and Accelerate Build
UK Government Launches Consultation on Major Overhaul of Settlement Rules
Google Struggles to Meet AI Demand as Infrastructure, Energy and Supply-Chain Gaps Deepen
Car Parts Leader Warns Europe Faces Heavy Job Losses in ‘Darwinian’ Auto Shake-Out
Arsenal Move Six Points Clear After Eze’s Historic Hat-Trick in Derby Rout
Wealthy New Yorkers Weigh Second Homes as the ‘Mamdani Effect’ Ripples Through Luxury Markets
Families Accuse OpenAI of Enabling ‘AI-Driven Delusions’ After Multiple Suicides
UK Unveils Critical-Minerals Strategy to Break China Supply-Chain Grip
Taylor Swift’s “The Fate of Ophelia” Extends U.K. No. 1 Run to Five Weeks
UK VPN Sign-Ups Surge by Over 1,400 % as Age-Verification Law Takes Effect
Former MEP Nathan Gill Jailed for Over Ten Years After Taking Pro-Russia Bribes
Majority of UK Entrepreneurs Regard Government as ‘Anti-Business’, Survey Shows
UK’s Starmer and US President Trump Align as Geneva Talks Probe Ukraine Peace Plan
UK Prime Minister Signals Former Prince Andrew Should Testify to US Epstein Inquiry
Royal Navy Deploys HMS Severn to Shadow Russian Corvette and Tanker Off UK Coast
China’s Wedding Boom: Nightclubs, Mountains and a Demographic Reset
Fugees Founding Member Pras Michel Sentenced to 14 Years in High-Profile US Foreign Influence Case
WhatsApp’s Unexpected Rise Reshapes American Messaging Habits
United States: Judge Dressed Up as Elvis During Hearings – and Was Forced to Resign
Johnson Blasts ‘Incoherent’ Covid Inquiry Findings Amid Report’s Harsh Critique of His Government
Lord Rothermere Secures £500 Million Deal to Acquire Telegraph Titles
Maduro Tightens Security Measures as U.S. Strike Threat Intensifies
U.S. Envoys Deliver Ultimatum to Ukraine: Sign Peace Deal by Thursday or Risk Losing American Support
×