London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Sunday, Feb 22, 2026

Over 50,000 EU citizens apply for settled status in a day to beat deadline

Over 50,000 EU citizens apply for settled status in a day to beat deadline

Exclusive: Home Office receives fivefold daily rise in applications as people tell of fear and anger

There was a fivefold increase in applications by EU citizens for UK settled status on Wednesday, with more than 50,000 people scrambling to beat the midnight deadline, it has emerged.

Such was the last-minute rush that the Home Office extended the time applications would be accepted to 9am on Thursday.

As EU citizens expressed their emotions on social media ranging from fear to anger that their rights to remain in the country were changed by the Brexit referendum five years ago, the Home Office sought to reassure applicants that anyone who applied before 9am on Thursday would be accepted as an in-time application.

Up to last week, Home Office data showed that 5.6m applications had been received by EU and European Economic Area citizens for the right to remain permanently in the country and to secure future rights to the NHS, to work, rent, bank, study and retire. The department said 5m had been granted settled or pre-settled status.

But sources said that in the last 24 hours alone the application numbers were “similar to the peak” day just before the end of the transition period on 31 December when 58,000 applied. This compares with the daily average of 10,000 to 12,000 in the past month, according to Home Office briefings last week.

However, posts on social media show many are still anxious about their futures.

One woman said: “Am feeling extremely dispirited this afternoon. I have had a good cry.” She had moved from Glasgow to Northern Ireland after finishing a higher national qualification in journalism and said she was “struggling to even get registered with recruitment agencies”.

She said: “A lady asked for my immigration status on Monday. I sent her both the Home Office letter and a screenshot of what appears on the system. (Previously I offered to send the [digital] share code but she refused saying she did not know what it was and it did not sound legit.) Today she came back saying this is not enough [to] prove I can work in the UK … This is fifth recruitment agency I have interacted with and nobody seems to have a clue what settled status is.”

Another social media user, Hannah, said: “I had a similar issue with a lettings agency, where I was trying to prove my right to rent with the share code, and they just didn’t have a clue what it was or how to do it. I had to send them screenshots from government websites, which they mostly ignored and it was only when it got escalated to the supervisor that it was sorted.”

Another EU citizen spoke of anxiety over an application that was sent by recorded post two weeks ago: “I helped out my partner’s mum with her postal application two weeks ago and sent it recorded delivery. We know it’s been delivered but haven’t heard a thing.”

The Home Office said everyone who applied in time would receive a certificate of application that could be used to evidence their rights. But it warned it would take time as the postal applications would have to be opened, verified and then the certificate issued.

It said it would be accepting all postal applications in the next few days and all applications that were proved to have been sent before the 30 June cutoff.

Nicolas Hatton, a co-founder of the3million campaign group, described Thursday as “a new dawn for EU citizens” but said he was confident those with settled status could live the rest of their lives in the UK if they wished.

“I really feel this. The Commonwealth people do it, yes there were big problems with the Windrush [generation], but it is possible to live as a foreigner in the UK.”

But he expressed concern that EU citizens would not feel the same. “It is good so many have applied before the deadline. And as the3million we’ve fought as hard as we could to make people feel secure and have their rights protected.

“But at a webinar last night the feelings being voiced were exactly the same as five years ago, a sense of betrayal and anxiety and an overwhelming feeling that the future is uncertain.”

Hatton said it was “pigheaded” of the government to say it was being “flexible and pragmatic” but not extend the deadline while the backlog of 400,000 was being processed.

“We all know that the backlog and later applicants are the more complicated cases, people who didn’t realise their children needed to apply separately, the elderly. Why didn’t they just have an amnesty until the backlog was cleared?”

A Home Office spokesperson said: “EU citizens who have submitted a valid application by 30 June will have their rights protected in law and will be issued with a certificate of application, which can be presented to employers and landlords and verified by our checking service.

“As we approached the deadline we saw a surge in applications. To ensure everyone who was waiting could make an in-time application we will be accepting all applications submitted online overnight on 30 June/1 July, and paper applications posted before the deadline.”

It added that anyone waiting to receive their certificate of application can share their confirmation of application with landlords and employers. “Our checking service will show their application is pending and therefore ensure their rights are protected.”

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
UK Government Weighs Removing Prince Andrew from Line of Succession After Arrest
Prince Andrew’s Arrest in UK Rekindles Scrutiny Over US Handling of Epstein Records
Trump’s Strategic Warning to UK Over Chagos Islands Deal Sparks Diplomatic Whiplash
Starmer Government Postpones Local Elections Affecting 4.5 Million Voters
UK Economy Remains Fragile Despite Recent Upturn in Headline Indicators
UK Businesses Face Fresh Uncertainty Following US Tariff Ruling
Reform UK’s Senior Figures Face Scrutiny Over Remarks on Women and Family Policy
UK Electric Vehicle Drive Threatened by Shortage of 44,000 Qualified Technicians
University of Kentucky Trustees Advance Academic Reforms and Approve Coliseum Plaza Purchase
Boris Johnson Calls for Immediate Deployment of UK Troops to Support Ukraine
OpenAI CEO Sam Altman praises the rapid progress of Chinese tech companies.
North Korea's capital experiences a significant construction boom with the development of a new city district dubbed 'Pyonghattan'.
New electric vehicle charging service eliminates waiting times
Vox Populi confronts Justin Trudeau at Davos over vaccination policies
Poland's President Karol Nawrocki ENDS support for Ukrainian citizens:
The mayor of Rotherham in Britain
One day after ex-Prince Andrew's arrest, British police are searching his former home, while U.K. lawmakers will consider introducing legislation to remove him from the line of royal succession
Vandana Shiva reminding the world that Bill Gates did not invent anything.
Italy's PM Giorgia Meloni highlights record employment and economic growth
UK Confirms Preferential U.S. Trading Terms Will Continue After Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
U.S. and U.K. to Hold Talks on Diego Garcia as Iran Objects to Potential Military Use
UK Officials Weigh Possible Changes to Prince Andrew’s Position in Line of Succession Amid Ongoing Scrutiny
British Police Probe Epstein’s UK Airport Links and Expand High-Profile Inquiries
The Impact of U.S. Sanctions on Cuba's Humanitarian Crisis: A Tightening Noose
Trump Directs Government to Release UFO and Alien Information
Trump Signs Global 10% Tariffs on Imports
United Kingdom Denies U.S. Access to Military Base for Potential Iran Strike
British Co-founder of ASOS falls to his death from Pattaya apartment
Early 2026 Data Suggests Tentative Recovery for UK Businesses and Households
UK Introduces Digital-First Passport Rules for Dual Citizens in Border Control Overhaul
Unable to Access Live Financial Data for January UK Surplus Report
UK Government Considers Law to Remove Prince Andrew from Royal Line of Succession
UK ‘Working Closely with US’ to Assess Impact of Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
Trump Criticises UK Decision to Restrict Use of Bases in Potential Iran Strike Scenario
UK Foreign Secretary and U.S. State Chief Hold Strategic Talks as Tensions Rise Over Joint Air Base
Two teens arrested in France for alleged terror plot.
Nordic Fracture: How Criminal Scandals and Toxic Ties are Dismantling the Norwegian Crown
US Supreme Court Voids Trump’s Emergency Tariff Plan, Reshaping Trade Power and Fiscal Risk
King Charles III Opens London Fashion Week as Royal Family Faces Fresh Scrutiny
Trump’s Evolving Stance on UK Chagos Islands Deal Draws Renewed Scrutiny
House Democrat Says Former UK Ambassador Unable to Testify in Congressional Epstein Inquiry
No Record of Prince Andrew Arrest in UK as Claims Circulate Online
UK Has Not Granted US Approval to Launch Iran Strikes from RAF Bases, Government Confirms
AI Pricing Pressure Mounts as Chinese Models Undercut US Rivals and Margin Risks Grow
Global Counsel, Advisory Firm Co-Founded by Lord Mandelson, Enters Administration After Client Exodus
London High Court dispute over Ricardo Salinas’s $400mn Elektra share-backed bitcoin loan
UK Intensifies Efforts to Secure Saudi Investment in Next-Generation Fighter Jet Programme
Former Student Files Civil Claim Against UK Authorities After Rape Charges Against Peers Are Dropped
Archer Aviation Chooses Bristol for New UK Engineering Hub to Drive Electric Air Taxi Expansion
UK Sees Surge in Medical Device Testing as Government Pushes Global Competitiveness
×