London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Sunday, Feb 22, 2026

NGOs slam Europe for allowing migrant deaths in the Mediterranean

NGOs slam Europe for allowing migrant deaths in the Mediterranean

Italy faces the biggest influx of migrants since 2017. Over 900 people have died since January trying to cross the Mediterranean. NGOs accuse Europe and institutions of letting those fleeing conflict and poverty die at sea.

More than 45,000 migrants have arrived in Italy so far this year, marking the highest number since 2017. In response, the country's centre-right coalition has declared a state of emergency and repeated calls for more solidarity within the European Union to tackle these migratory flows.

In this latest episode of Euronews Witness, Monica Pinna takes us to Italy's southernmost border, the small island of Lampedusa, to find out what the Italian government, Europe, and NGOs are doing to address this migration crisis which shows no sign of slowing.


Minors facing the greatest threat


Italy’s far-right Prime Minister, Giorgia Meloni, came to power in October 2022 vowing to take a hard line against illegal immigration and push for Europe to work together to address the migration influx.

Her centre-right coalition has now launched a state of emergency to deal with the increase in migratory flows. The measure aims to accelerate reception procedures, but also speed-up expulsions.


Theoretically, this should alleviate some of the pressures felt by hotspots like Lampedusa. But this centre is systematically on the verge of collapse.

Migrants who arrive there are supposed to stay for just a few days in order to be identified and sent to reception or repatriation centres. But arrivals often end up staying for much longer.

The centre is conceived to accommodate 400 migrants, but at times it hosts more than three thousand people.

According to NGOs, Italy's reception system is poorly managed, and it is minors who are faced with the greatest risks.

Migrants board a boat after getting stopped by Tunisian Maritime National Guard at sea during an attempt to get to Italy, near the coast of Sfax, Tunisia, April 18, 2023


"The age of the people arriving has progressively considerably decreased," Lisa Bjelogrlich, from Save the Children told Euronews.

"From 2018 onwards the amount of available accommodation has decreased. The reception system for minors currently fails to meet their needs and has been depleted of resources," she added.


Search and rescue operations, and 'the criminalisation of NGOs'


Last February, the sinking of a migrant vessel from Turkey which issued an unanswered distress call off the coast of Calabria took the lives of 90 migrants.

This event prompted the Italian government to pass the Cutro Decree, which aims to clamp down on traffickers but also further tighten rules on migration and asylum.

"The war on sea rescue NGOs, and the abandoning of rescue operations in the Mediterranean has become increasingly evident with the centre-right government," revealed Giusi Ncolini, the former mayor of Lampedusa. "And it is increasingly clear that, in order not to prevent them from arriving, they prefer to let them die."

Since the Cutro disaster, shipwrecks continue to occur at an alarming rate.

“The withdrawal of European actors and the criminalisation of NGOs committed to search and rescue missions, created a huge vacuum in rescue operations,” said Tamino Böhm, the head of airborne operations at NGO, Sea-Watch, whose teams fly over a vast area of the central Mediterranean each day in search of boats in distress.

Tamino Böhm, the head of airborne operations at Sea-Watch


"There are still no state-funded, state-organised search and rescue in the central Mediterranean Sea. Very often we spot boats in distress and then there's no one to rescue and give assistance to the people,” he added.

In January, Rome issued further restrictive measures to limit humanitarian operations. NGOs failing to comply now face heavy sanctions.

A rescue ship funded by the street artist Banksy was detained for 20 days for rescuing more than 180 people in four separate rescue missions. This breaches a new ruling that states teams can carry out just one rescue operation at a time before returning to an assigned port.


How is Europe responding to the migration crisis?


NGOs have slammed Europe for failing to come together and coordinate to rescue migrants at sea. What's more, first-entry countries like Italy, Malta, Greece and Cyprus have denounced what they see as the derisory percentage of migrants being relocated in Europe.

"We see that people remain at sea many hours after our SOS, even days," said Chiara Denaro from Alarm Phone, an international volunteer network that collects distress calls from migrant boats.

"The Maltese authorities are very reluctant to launch rescue operations and to take over the coordination of operations," she added.

Italy has been providing funds, means and training to the Libyan Coast Guard since 2017. Malta followed on the basis of EU-funded cooperation agreements to combat illegal immigration and "strengthen border security."

In five years, about 100,000 people have been intercepted at sea and brought back to Libya in conditions that the UN and NGOs say represents a violation of human rights.

The number of migrants that have arrived in Italy since January 1st is 45,510 according to government figures published on May 15.

The most recent estimate for the number of missing migrants in the Central Mediterranean is 959, according to data from the Missing Migrants Project.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
UK Government Weighs Removing Prince Andrew from Line of Succession After Arrest
Prince Andrew’s Arrest in UK Rekindles Scrutiny Over US Handling of Epstein Records
Trump’s Strategic Warning to UK Over Chagos Islands Deal Sparks Diplomatic Whiplash
Starmer Government Postpones Local Elections Affecting 4.5 Million Voters
UK Economy Remains Fragile Despite Recent Upturn in Headline Indicators
UK Businesses Face Fresh Uncertainty Following US Tariff Ruling
Reform UK’s Senior Figures Face Scrutiny Over Remarks on Women and Family Policy
UK Electric Vehicle Drive Threatened by Shortage of 44,000 Qualified Technicians
University of Kentucky Trustees Advance Academic Reforms and Approve Coliseum Plaza Purchase
Boris Johnson Calls for Immediate Deployment of UK Troops to Support Ukraine
OpenAI CEO Sam Altman praises the rapid progress of Chinese tech companies.
North Korea's capital experiences a significant construction boom with the development of a new city district dubbed 'Pyonghattan'.
New electric vehicle charging service eliminates waiting times
Vox Populi confronts Justin Trudeau at Davos over vaccination policies
Poland's President Karol Nawrocki ENDS support for Ukrainian citizens:
The mayor of Rotherham in Britain
One day after ex-Prince Andrew's arrest, British police are searching his former home, while U.K. lawmakers will consider introducing legislation to remove him from the line of royal succession
Vandana Shiva reminding the world that Bill Gates did not invent anything.
Italy's PM Giorgia Meloni highlights record employment and economic growth
UK Confirms Preferential U.S. Trading Terms Will Continue After Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
U.S. and U.K. to Hold Talks on Diego Garcia as Iran Objects to Potential Military Use
UK Officials Weigh Possible Changes to Prince Andrew’s Position in Line of Succession Amid Ongoing Scrutiny
British Police Probe Epstein’s UK Airport Links and Expand High-Profile Inquiries
The Impact of U.S. Sanctions on Cuba's Humanitarian Crisis: A Tightening Noose
Trump Directs Government to Release UFO and Alien Information
Trump Signs Global 10% Tariffs on Imports
United Kingdom Denies U.S. Access to Military Base for Potential Iran Strike
British Co-founder of ASOS falls to his death from Pattaya apartment
Early 2026 Data Suggests Tentative Recovery for UK Businesses and Households
UK Introduces Digital-First Passport Rules for Dual Citizens in Border Control Overhaul
Unable to Access Live Financial Data for January UK Surplus Report
UK Government Considers Law to Remove Prince Andrew from Royal Line of Succession
UK ‘Working Closely with US’ to Assess Impact of Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
Trump Criticises UK Decision to Restrict Use of Bases in Potential Iran Strike Scenario
UK Foreign Secretary and U.S. State Chief Hold Strategic Talks as Tensions Rise Over Joint Air Base
Two teens arrested in France for alleged terror plot.
Nordic Fracture: How Criminal Scandals and Toxic Ties are Dismantling the Norwegian Crown
US Supreme Court Voids Trump’s Emergency Tariff Plan, Reshaping Trade Power and Fiscal Risk
King Charles III Opens London Fashion Week as Royal Family Faces Fresh Scrutiny
Trump’s Evolving Stance on UK Chagos Islands Deal Draws Renewed Scrutiny
House Democrat Says Former UK Ambassador Unable to Testify in Congressional Epstein Inquiry
No Record of Prince Andrew Arrest in UK as Claims Circulate Online
UK Has Not Granted US Approval to Launch Iran Strikes from RAF Bases, Government Confirms
AI Pricing Pressure Mounts as Chinese Models Undercut US Rivals and Margin Risks Grow
Global Counsel, Advisory Firm Co-Founded by Lord Mandelson, Enters Administration After Client Exodus
London High Court dispute over Ricardo Salinas’s $400mn Elektra share-backed bitcoin loan
UK Intensifies Efforts to Secure Saudi Investment in Next-Generation Fighter Jet Programme
Former Student Files Civil Claim Against UK Authorities After Rape Charges Against Peers Are Dropped
Archer Aviation Chooses Bristol for New UK Engineering Hub to Drive Electric Air Taxi Expansion
UK Sees Surge in Medical Device Testing as Government Pushes Global Competitiveness
×