London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Sunday, Aug 23, 2026

NATO allies put forces on standby as tensions rise over Ukraine crisis

NATO allies put forces on standby as tensions rise over Ukraine crisis

NATO announced on Monday that some member countries are putting forces on standby and sending additional ships and fighter jets to eastern Europe as the United Kingdom and the United States ordered diplomats' families to withdraw from Ukraine amid concerns of a Russian invasion.

The developments underscore growing fears of a possible Russian incursion, following months of military maneuvering by Moscow that has set off a tit-for-tat series of escalations with NATO, a military alliance of Western powers.

Russia has been building up forces and equipment near its border with Ukraine since last year, and is sending troops into neighboring Belarus for joint exercises next month that Ukrainian officials fear could serve as a "full-fledged theater of operations" from which to launch an attack.

US intelligence officials have said they don't know whether Russian President Vladimir Putin has decided to invade Ukraine.

The Kremlin has repeatedly denied it is planning to do so, but has argued that NATO support for the country constitutes a growing threat on Russia's western flank.

Ukrainian soldiers in a front line trench near pro-Russian separatists take shelter from the extreme cold.


After high-level talks between Moscow and Washington wrapped earlier this month without any breakthroughs over the tens of thousands of Russian troops amassed on Ukraine's border, prospects of de-escalation and future diplomacy have been cast into doubt. Now the Biden administration is weighing whether to deploy as many as 5,000 US troops, according to a senior defense official, to shore up NATO allies in Eastern Europe and the Baltics.

On Monday, both NATO and Russia pointed the finger at each other for the ratcheting tensions.

"Tensions are escalating due to concrete actions taken by the US and NATO," Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said, referring to NATO's announcement.

"I mean the informational hysteria that we are witnessing -- it is generously framed by a huge amount of false information, just lies and fakes," Peskov added.

NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said in a Monday statement that the alliance would continue to take necessary measures "to protect and defend all Allies, including by reinforcing the eastern part of the Alliance." He added: "We will always respond to any deterioration of our security environment, including through strengthening our collective defence."

The NATO statement said that in recent days, a flurry of member states had announced deployments to the region. They include Denmark sending a frigate to the Baltic Sea and four F-16 fighter jets to Lithuania, the Netherlands deploying two F-35 fighter aircraft to Bulgaria, France expressing its readiness to send troops to Romania and the US considering increasing its military presence in the East.

Stoltenberg cautioned in a news conference on Monday that the moves were defensive and proportionate -- and that NATO was "not threatening Russia."
There was no suggestion in the statement that the troops would be used to assist Ukraine, which is not a NATO member.


NATO, Europe and the US have been united in their opposition to any further Russian incursion in Ukraine, promising to lend support to Ukraine and hand down "massive costs" for Moscow in the event they make a move. But the shape of that response and what steps they might take are still unclear.

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken on Sunday warned that "a single additional Russian force" entering Ukraine "in an aggressive way" would result in a severe response by the US and its allies. His comments came after US President Joe Biden muddled the message of severe consequences last week, saying at a news conference that a "minor incursion" might not trigger the same response from NATO as an invasion. The President later clarified that any Russian troops crossing Ukraine's border would constitute an invasion.

CNN reported last week that the US military goal would be to "meet the capability" NATO allies in the region are asking for, a defense official said. On Monday, Pentagon spokesman John Kirby said that as many as 8,500 US troops have been put on heightened preparedness to deploy.

Local residents Marinka, Ukraine, walk past an apartment building destroyed during fighting in 2015 between the Ukrainian army and Russian-backed separatists. Fighting is still ongoing.


The mobilization of Western forces comes amid a significant uptick in Russia's military movements, not only on Ukraine's border -- where the Ukrainian Defense Ministry says there are now 127,000 Russian troops stationed -- but elsewhere in Europe. The Russian Defense Ministry announced last week that 140 ships and 10,000 servicemen would take part in sweeping exercises from the Pacific to the Atlantic, including off Ireland's southwest coast in February.

The ministry said the main purpose of the drills is to protect Russia's national interests in the world's oceans, TASS state news agency reported.

Ireland's Foreign Affairs Minister Simon Coveney told reporters on Monday that he had raised concerns with Moscow about Russia's plans. "This isn't the time to increase military activity and tension in the context of what's happening with and in Ukraine at the moment," Coveney said.

Coveney and other European Union foreign ministers met in Brussels to discuss the security situation in Ukraine and what action to take should Russia cross into Ukrainian territory; Blinken joined by video link following talks with Lavrov in Geneva. EU foreign ministers want to send a clear message to Russia that if it decides to invade Ukraine it will be hit by the "most comprehensive" package of sanctions and restrictions ever prepared by the EU, Coveney said.

But while NATO countries ramp up readiness and the EU discusses heightened security concerns, Ukraine's own government has not, at least outwardly, signaled the same sense of urgency. In a call with the President of the European Council Charles Michel on Monday, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said the country will not succumb to provocations, but would "keep calm."

Zelensky and his government have previously downplayed the danger of a Russian invasion, noting that the threat has existed for years and has not become greater in recent months. The conflict between Ukraine and Russia has been rumbling since 2014, when Russia annexed Crimea and fomented a rebellion in Ukraine's east. Despite a cease fire in 2015, the two sides have not seen a stable peace.

Ukraine on Monday criticized the US' decision to withdraw diplomats' families and reduce staff levels at the US Embassy in Kyiv, with Oleg Nikolenko, spokesman for the Ukrainian Foreign Ministry, saying in a tweet: "We believe such a step to be a premature one & an instance of excessive caution."

But other countries are also taking precautions in Kyiv, Ukraine's capital. The UK Foreign Office also announced Monday that some British Embassy staff and dependents were being withdrawn from Kyiv in response to "growing threats from Russia." UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson said Monday that the intelligence around the situation in Ukraine was "gloomy" but that war was not inevitable.

Speaking to reporters at the EU Foreign Affairs Council in Brussels on Monday, the bloc's chief diplomat Josep Borrell said Europe will seek to simmer tensions between Russia and Ukraine through diplomacy first but warned Moscow it is prepared to take action if necessary. He also urged for calm, stressing the need to avoid "alarmist reactions that could that could lead to an escalation. We don't want people to have a breakdown on this."

Borrell added that the EU had no current plans to evacuate diplomatic staff and their families from Ukraine.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
Iranian Hackers Shut Down British Power Plant for Four Days in Landmark Cyber Attack
Novak Djokovic Reveals Relentless Self-Doubt and Rejects Retirement in New Documentary
Trump Imposes 50% Tariffs on Canadian Goods After Bilateral Trade Talks Collapse
Australia Combines Indigenous Fire Knowledge With Satellite Tech to Combat Catastrophic Wildfires
Father and Son Jailed in Scotland Over £900,000 Airport Cannabis Smuggling Operation
UK Fraud Reports Surge Sevenfold as Criminals Exploit QR Codes in Parking Meters and Phishing Emails
Brighton Thrash Aston Villa in Four-Goal Opening Half as Manchester City Trail Bournemouth
Erin Patterson Appeals Triple Murder Convictions After Hotel Mixed Sequestered Jury With Prosecution
Bank of England Maintains Close Watch on Banks Amid Global Economic Uncertainty
Warm Weather and Tourism Support UK High Street Spending During Summer
Westminster Faces Continuing Political and Administrative Fallout From Epstein Files Release
UK Invests in Domestic Defence Drone Manufacturing to Strengthen Military Supply Chains
Around Five Million UK Households Face Higher Mortgage Payments by 2028
Bluetongue Virus Cases Rise Across England, Wales and Scotland
UK Government Holds First National Day for Victims and Survivors of Terrorism
Historic Summer Droughts Threaten UK Harvests and Put Further Pressure on Food Prices
UK Economy Holds Up in Second Quarter Despite Global Energy and Geopolitical Pressures
UK Opens National Artificial Intelligence Safety Testing Facility
UK Government Finalizes Plans to Bring Remaining Regional Rail Services Into Public Ownership
Environment Agency Imposes Record Penalties on Water Companies Over Illegal Sewage Discharges
Great British Energy Announces Offshore Wind Partnership in North Sea
UK Government Tightens Planning Rules to Accelerate Housing Development
NHS Launches Digital Overhaul to Cut Elective Care Waiting Lists
Bank of England Signals Interest Rates May Stay Higher for Longer as Inflation Pressures Persist
The rise and fall of Hui Ka Yan, China’s richest man
Woke: Britain Considers Plain Packaging for Cigars as Specialist Shops Warn of Industry Collapse
Britain's Public-Service Productivity Remains Below 2019 as £80 Billion Output Gap Fuels WFH Debate
Mandelson Epstein Case in Jeopardy as U.S. Files Stay Out of Reach
Prince Harry and Six Others Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million After High Court Defeat
Bank of England Holds Interest Rate at 3.75% as Inflation and Energy Risks Persist
UK AI Security Tests Find Autonomous Agent Attempting Malicious Code Injection
UK Economy Grows 0.4% in Second Quarter Amid Global Pressures
UK Joins European Allies in Condemning Israeli Settlement Plans in West Bank E1 Area
Multiple People Killed in A66 Collision Near Middlesbrough Involving Police Vehicle
UK Government Holds First National Day for Victims and Survivors of Terrorism
UK Met Office Warns of Severe Autumn Storms as Strong El Niño Follows Historic Drought
Petrol Bombs Set Luxury Cars Alight Outside Birmingham Wedding as Police Hunt Three Men
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Prince Harry and Co-Claimants Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million Toward Daily Mail Publisher’s Legal Costs
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Reportedly Plan Return to Britain With Their Children
UK Court Ruling Threatens Deportation Plans for Potential Trafficking Victims to Albania
Kemi Badenoch Presses UK Government for Decisions on Rosebank and Jackdaw Oil Fields
UK Foreign Affairs Committee Chair Calls for Ban on Goods from Occupied West Bank
Andy Burnham Government to Place Civil Servants Directly in English Mayoral Offices
Met Office Warns Major El Niño Could Bring Stormier, Wetter Autumn to UK
UK Economy Gains Unexpected Momentum Ahead of Andy Burnham Government’s First Budget
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
×