London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Saturday, Aug 22, 2026

Millions to be offered Covid booster jabs earlier to protect NHS over winter

Millions to be offered Covid booster jabs earlier to protect NHS over winter

Exclusive: boosters to be offered five months after second dose as part of major change to vaccination rollout programme

The government is to allow people to have their Covid booster jab after five months, a month sooner than under the current policy, in an effort to help stop the NHS becoming overwhelmed this winter.

This major change to the vaccination programme could see ministers flouting the advice of the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation, which recommends that people wait until six months after their second dose before having their top-up in order to maximise protection.

It is unclear whether the policy would apply only in England or across the four home nations.

It means millions of Britons will be able to have their booster sooner than expected to reduce the risk of hospitals failing to cope with large numbers of people becoming seriously ill with Covid during the winter months, when they always come under intense pressure.

Anyone across the UK in cohorts one to nine – the priority groups that include frontline health and social care workers, millions with underlying health problems and all adults over 50 – will be able to book their extra vaccine once the change is formally announced.

Fears that waning immunity from the impact of second doses wearing off could fuel a surge in Covid hospital admissions in the coming months have prompted ministers to act.

Almost 12m booster doses have already been given. But there has been persistent criticism that the delivery of what ministers, doctors and scientists say are vital top-up shots has gone too slowly.

Key personnel across the NHS who are centrally involved in the vaccine programme have been told that Sajid Javid, the health secretary, has already approved shortening the gap. One source said that he last week authorised an amendment to the national protocol, the legal framework governing the programme, in order to implement the change.

Jeremy Hunt, the former health secretary who chairs the Commons health select committee, last month challenged the JCVI’s stance and urged the government to cut the delay between second and third shots. Hunt said: “This decision that’s been made that you can’t have your booster jab until six months after you had your second jab – how hard and fast should that rule be?

“Does it really matter, when it’s only nine weeks till the Christmas holidays, if someone has a booster jab after five months?”

One source with knowledge of the switch in approach said: “Yes, the JCVI’s policy hasn’t changed. They recommend six months. But that’s guidance. We don’t have to follow that.

“The thing is, we need to get people vaccinated, so sometimes clinical decisions need to be taken. This is a practical decision to get people in to get them vaccinated before the winter, when all the respiratory viruses, including Covid, increase.


“The aim is to ensure that there is as high a level of immunity as possible going into the winter. The primary thing is to protect the population. Giving it at five months means that someone’s immune response from it is just as strong as if they’d got it at six months.”

Evidence from the government’s Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) shows that protection against someone getting symptomatic Covid falls from 65% in the first three months after the second dose down to 45% after six months for the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine, and from 90% to 65% for the Pfizer/BioNTech jab.

The JCVI originally approved a booster programme on 14 September, which began soon after. Vaccinators should use the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine as far as possible for third shots, because that “provides a strong booster response”, it said.

However, it was adamant that “the booster vaccine is offered no earlier than six months after completion of the [two-dose] primary vaccine course”. Ministers have followed that advice until now.

The JCVI relaxed the six-month rule a little last month when it said that some groups at the highest risk of becoming very unwell if they caught Covid, including care home residents and those undergoing immunosuppressive treatment, could have their top-up jab a month sooner.

Paul Hunter, a professor of medicine at the university of East Anglia, said switching to a five-month gap could help limit Covid’s damage. “I am not aware of any evidence that has compared the effectiveness of five-month versus six-month booster jabs. I would guess that there wouldn’t be that much difference.

“So there could indeed be benefits in reducing the incidence of severe disease and death that bit more rapidly this winter by bringing this to all people being offered a booster,” he said.

But Hunter added that the government’s greater priority should be improving the uptake of booster jabs among at-risk groups, who have already been offered their top-up. “The most important thing is to get the booster into more people in the most vulnerable groups, [those] who should already have been offered the booster but [have] not yet taken it up.

“In England there are still over a fifth of people over 70 who had their second dose more than six months ago [but] who have not yet had their booster, though that is improving each day.”

The Department of Health and Social Care denied that any changes to the booster rules were imminent. A spokesperson said: “We continue to follow the advice from the independent Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) who, after a rigorous review of the latest evidence, advised all eligible people should get their booster dose six months after their second dose.”

“There are currently no plans to reduce the interval. We urge everyone eligible to get their boosters as soon as they can to maintain their vital protection from the virus over the winter months.”

Comments

Oh ya 5 year ago
Yes take your shot. 2 did not work but I am sure the 3rd,4th,86th will be a charm. You can't fix stupid all you can do is keep injecting them until they expire.
Rebel with a cause 5 year ago
Is there anybody out there with a brain? Even Bill Gates admitted the vax doesn't work. Yet, you insist on injecting people with an "upgrade" to support the software system already in their bodies. Either you've made the decision to become "trans-human" or not. It's your choice but don't you dare criticize those who did their research and didn't want that poison in their bodies.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
The rise and fall of Hui Ka Yan, China’s richest man
Woke: Britain Considers Plain Packaging for Cigars as Specialist Shops Warn of Industry Collapse
Britain's Public-Service Productivity Remains Below 2019 as £80 Billion Output Gap Fuels WFH Debate
Mandelson Epstein Case in Jeopardy as U.S. Files Stay Out of Reach
Prince Harry and Six Others Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million After High Court Defeat
Bank of England Holds Interest Rate at 3.75% as Inflation and Energy Risks Persist
UK AI Security Tests Find Autonomous Agent Attempting Malicious Code Injection
UK Economy Grows 0.4% in Second Quarter Amid Global Pressures
UK Joins European Allies in Condemning Israeli Settlement Plans in West Bank E1 Area
Multiple People Killed in A66 Collision Near Middlesbrough Involving Police Vehicle
UK Government Holds First National Day for Victims and Survivors of Terrorism
UK Met Office Warns of Severe Autumn Storms as Strong El Niño Follows Historic Drought
Petrol Bombs Set Luxury Cars Alight Outside Birmingham Wedding as Police Hunt Three Men
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Prince Harry and Co-Claimants Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million Toward Daily Mail Publisher’s Legal Costs
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Reportedly Plan Return to Britain With Their Children
UK Court Ruling Threatens Deportation Plans for Potential Trafficking Victims to Albania
Kemi Badenoch Presses UK Government for Decisions on Rosebank and Jackdaw Oil Fields
UK Foreign Affairs Committee Chair Calls for Ban on Goods from Occupied West Bank
Andy Burnham Government to Place Civil Servants Directly in English Mayoral Offices
Met Office Warns Major El Niño Could Bring Stormier, Wetter Autumn to UK
UK Economy Gains Unexpected Momentum Ahead of Andy Burnham Government’s First Budget
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Royal Navy to Accelerate DragonFire Laser Deployment Against Growing Drone Threat
Northern Ireland Approves Five Hundred Million Pound Belfast Harbour Expansion
Great British Railways Takes Full Control of Avanti West Coast as Rail Nationalisation Reaches Final Stage
UK AI Safety Institute Calls for Mandatory Security Audits of Advanced AI Models
Scotland Secures Three Billion Pounds for Floating Offshore Wind Hub in Aberdeen
Government Overrides Local Councils to Approve Green Belt Housing Across Southern England
UK and EU Move Toward Mutual Recognition of Food Standards to Ease Cross-Channel Trade
Government Plans Multibillion-Pound Private Healthcare Expansion to Cut NHS Surgical Backlogs
Bank of England Signals Faster Rate Cuts as Inflation Falls Below the Two Percent Target
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
Moderna Shares Surge After Positive Personalized Skin Cancer Trial Results
UK Markets Watch US National Debt Surpass Forty Trillion Dollars
UK Broadcasters Urge Government to Invest in Digital Participation and Broadband
CVC Capital Partners and Standard Life Launch Two Billion Pound Pension Risk Transfer Venture
UK Private Sector Productivity Growth Accelerates in Second Quarter
UK Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband Condemns Israeli E1 Settlement Tender
UK Watchdog Investigates Trainline, Virgin Atlantic and RED Driving School Over Hidden Fees
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Plan Move to Private Home Outside London
×