London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Monday, Aug 17, 2026

Man hit by car at 'lawless' pedestrian crossing in Edinburgh

Man hit by car at 'lawless' pedestrian crossing in Edinburgh

A man has been hit by a car at a pedestrian crossing which campaigners have described as "lawless".

They estimate that hundreds of motorists have flouted the law by turning left at the junction of Leith Walk and London Road since the rules were changed over a month ago.

The vehicles then illegally travel through a pedestrian crossing.

A campaign by local residents has been backed by TV and radio host and cycling campaigner Jeremy Vine.

City of Edinburgh Council said it was now making changes at the junction in an attempt to make it harder for drivers to ignore the turning ban.

Edward Tissiman is a local resident who walks over the pedestrian crossing on his way to work. He said he had filmed dozens of cars ignoring the signs after nearly being knocked down at the junction.


Edward Tissiman says there are nine no turn left signs at the junction of Leith Walk and London Road

The civil servant told BBC Scotland: "I was really shocked and annoyed because you should be able to walk to work without getting knocked over.

"That was a month ago, and ever since I have been pestering the council and police about it to no avail - so that's when I filmed the cars doing it and posted it on Twitter."

The post has now had more than 300,000 views and it has prompted the council and police to hold an emergency meeting.

His post was retweeted by Jeremy Vine, who described the situation as "completely lawless and ridiculous".

"No left turn; these drivers are going when pedestrians have a green man to cross. Nuts."

Jeremy Vine is a keen cyclist


Mr Tissiman, 28, said the number of signs at the junction meant there was no reason for motorists to misunderstand.

"While I appreciate drivers get frustrated, you cannot go through a pedestrian crossing, it is lawless," he said.

He said he had spoken to a man who was struck by a car at the junction on Monday evening.

"He told me the car just drove off without checking to see if he was OK," he said.

"Something needs to be done before someone is killed.

"I'm very upset and exasperated about this situation now."


Police Scotland confirmed that officers had received a report of a crash involving a car and a pedestrian on Monday evening.

"There were no injuries reported and the vehicle did not stop at the scene. Inquiries into the circumstances are ongoing," said a spokeswoman.

Scott Arthur, City of Edinburgh Council's transport convener, said he had been down to the site and filmed a motorist driving over the pavement.

He told BBC Scotland: "It was very worrying when I saw her. I could see the driver and her face looked confused.

"She politely put her indicator on as she waited to drive off the pavement onto the road so she knew some of her highway code.

"I'm hoping that was a one-off but it is alarming when you see people driving through the pedestrian crossing."

Mr Arthur said the changes had been designed to improve public transport efficiency and protect pedestrians.


Breaking the law


"These improvements are clearly signed, with seven signs in place on approach.

"Anyone contravening the rules is breaking the law, as well as endangering the safety of themselves and other road users.

"Ignoring the ban on left hand turns is extremely selfish, and I would urge drivers to take heed of the changes and follow alternative routes."

He said the police, the council and the Trams to Newhaven team had considered the issue on Monday.

"They continue to monitor the situation on an ongoing basis and are in the process of installing changes to the junction to make breaking the ban harder," he added.

"They will also optimise the operation of the traffic lights at Picardy Place so that the time to get around the junction and turn right into London Road is as efficient as possible.

"We will continue dialogue with Police Scotland."


Edward Tissiman said he filmed dozens of cars ignoring the no-turn signs after nearly being knocked down at the junction.


Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
Sarah Ferguson Reportedly Retreats to Late Ex-Boyfriend's Swiss Chalet
Cristiano Ronaldo and Georgina Rodríguez Sign Prenup Protecting Their Separate Fortunes
Thieves Steal Antonello da Messina Renaissance Masterpieces From Sicilian Museum
Better.com Founder Who Fired 900 Employees on Zoom Is Ousted as CEO
Italian Speed Camera Issues Nearly 32,000 Fines in 10 Weeks, Worth More Than €3 Million
AI Manager at San Francisco Store Recommends Firing Human Employee
Google Launches Pixel 11 With Gemini AI at the Center of Its Hardware Strategy
Campaigners Press Government to Strengthen Rights for Four Million Gig Workers
Government Considers Higher Private Rents to Spread Asylum Accommodation Across UK
UK Moves to Protect Historic Pubs From Conversion Into Housing and Offices
Nigel Farage Wins Clacton By-Election to Return to House of Commons
British Manufacturers Report Rising Cybersecurity Threats Across Industrial Supply Chains
Royal Navy Increases Monitoring of Russian Ships in UK Waters by 25 Percent
England Adds More Than 350 Medical Training Posts to Strengthen NHS Capacity
NHS Waiting Lists Over 52 Weeks Rise by More Than 11,000 Patients
Brent Crude Near $88 Raises Fresh UK Energy Cost Concerns
UK Treasury Warns Prolonged Strait of Hormuz Disruption Could Cut 2027 Growth to 0.3 Percent
UK Economy Grows 0.4 Percent in Second Quarter as Energy and Inflation Risks Persist
UK Heatwave Triggers Emergency Alert as Government Unveils £65 Million Farm Support Package
Reform UK Unveils Plan to Cut Welfare Spending by More Than £50 Billion a Year
Prime Minister Andy Burnham Praised Extinction Rebellion for Doing a 'Great Service'
UK Wildfire Phone Alert Triggers Backlash as Users Switch Off Emergency Warnings
Heathrow Roads Reopen After Burst Water Main Floods Access to Terminals 2 and 3
Former NBA Players Enes Kanter Freedom and Royce White Say They Will Enter 2027 WNBA Draft
Former Cambridge Professor Jason Arday Found Dead Days After Resigning Amid Plagiarism Row
US Appeals Court Rules AI Agent's Website Actions Are Legally Attributed to the User
France's Constitutional Council Blocks Social Media Ban for Children Under 15
Liechtenstein Changes Royal Succession Rules to Allow Women to Inherit the Throne
Women Allege Rape and Sexual Abuse at British Army College for Teenage Recruits
Minnesota: Two independent investigators posed as Muslims (one wearing a burqa) and showed how they could vote in elections without identification.
UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham Takes Regional Tour to Highlight Local Infrastructure and Environmental Problems
Nigel Farage Wins Clacton By-Election to Return to the House of Commons
Bank of England Warns Rising Inflation Could Squeeze UK Household Incomes
UK Government Announces £65 Million Aid Package for Farmers Hit by Severe Drought
UK Economy Grows 0.4% in Second Quarter Despite Energy Market Pressures
UK Issues Emergency Alert as Severe Wildfires Spread Across England and Wales
UK and Finland Discuss European Defence and Continued Support for Ukraine
Nigel Farage Wins Clacton By-Election to Return to the House of Commons
UK Government Deploys Military to Help Fight Wildfires and Bans Disposable Barbecues
UK Records Hottest Day of the Year as Fifth Summer Heatwave Peaks in Southern England
UK Condemns Houthi Actions and Warns of Red Sea Threat to Global Trade
UK and Solomon Islands Open Wildlife Photography Exhibition in Honiara
UK Small Businesses Face Continued Cash Flow and Tax Pressures
Greatham Marsh Restoration Restores Tidal Wetland in Hartlepool After More Than 200 Years
UK Health Regulator Urges University Students to Check Meningitis and Measles Vaccination Status
Mining Remediation Authority Completes Major Ground Stabilization Works in Scottish Community
UK Food Crime Investigators Seize 33 Tonnes of Illegal Food in Multi-Agency Operation
Technical Qualification Uptake Hits Record High as Advanced Mathematics Results Improve
UK Summer Temperatures on Course to Challenge Long-Standing Records, Met Office Says
UK Farmers Bring Forward Cereal Harvests as Drought Threatens Yields
×