Lord Sentamu has already rejected the report's findings which said he failed to act on a claim made by a victim.
He had been an honorary assistant bishop in the Diocese of Newcastle.
The Bishop of Newcastle has asked him to step back from active ministry "until both the findings and his response can be explored further".
The Church has apologised to retired vicar Matthew Ineson, who was 16 when he was abused in the 1980s and has waived his legal right to anonymity.
His abuser, the Reverend Trevor Devamanikkam, killed himself before he was due to appear in court.
In 2013, Mr Ineson told senior clergy about the abuse, including Lord Sentamu who was then Archbishop of York.
Devamanikkam was charged with six serious sexual offences in May 2017. He was found dead the day before he was due to appear at court in Bradford.
On Thursday, an independent review commissioned by the National Safeguarding Team of the Church of England found Lord Sentamu should have sought advice when the victim made his disclosure.
On Saturday, the Diocese of Newcastle released a statement which said in light of the findings the Bishop of Newcastle Helen-Ann Hartley "required Lord Sentamu... to step back from active ministry until both the findings and his response can be explored further".
It added: "The Archbishop of York, Stephen Cottrell, is fully supportive of this decision.
"The Diocese of Newcastle remains committed to the highest standards of safeguarding which seeks always to place victims and survivors at the heart of this vital work."
The Church of England's lead bishop for safeguarding, Joanne Grenfell, told BBC Radio 4's Sunday programme those within the organisation needed to be answerable to each other.
"We all have a bigger, moral duty when it comes to a safeguarding matter to really look at it, to refer it, to ask questions, to hold each other to account, to be curious about how things have concluded," she said.
"Because of that moral imperative, I think all of us today with good training would know that we need to act differently."
Lord Sentamu of Lindisfarne was commissioned as honorary assistant bishop for Newcastle in June 2021, a year after he stood down as archbishop.
He has been approached for comment.