London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Saturday, Aug 22, 2026

Leak inquiry launched as No 10 insiders accuse Dominic Cummings

Leak inquiry launched as No 10 insiders accuse Dominic Cummings

Reports over former adviser could draw attention away from the contents of leaks such as texts to James Dyson
The Cabinet Office is to launch an internal investigation into the leak of Boris Johnson’s text messages with the billionaire businessman James Dyson – with reports saying that some in No 10 are accusing the prime minister’s former adviser Dominic Cummings of being the source.

The prime minister’s spokesperson said the decision had been made to launch a formal investigation into the leak, which showed that Johnson promised to change tax rules by saying: “I will fix it tomo!” It comes amid growing concern over Johnson’s use of a personal mobile phone in government.

But the inquiry will not examine a string of other leaks, including a text to the prime minister from the Saudi crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman, or leaked emails about donations solicited to cover the renovations of the prime minister’s flat.

Cummings, Johnson’s former all-powerful adviser who was booted out of Downing Street last November, was reportedly accused by No 10 sources quoted in multiple newspapers as being responsible for the leaks. In what appeared to be a coordinated attack on Cummings, the Telegraph, Times and Sun reported the same criticisms from an unnamed insider accusing him of being “bitter” about leaving government.

They said Johnson was “disappointed” and “saddened” by what they claimed Cummings was doing, complaining it was “undermining” the government. The Telegraph added Cummings would have had legitimate access to the messages while he worked at No 10, quoting an insider who said: “If you join the dots it looks like it’s coming from Dom.”

Downing Street declined to formally comment on the reports. The briefings may risk drawing attention away from the contents of the leaks, which have resulted in multiple inquiries being set up, and instead on to the blame game as to who is responsible for them.

Johnson, who has had the same phone number for a decade, is regularly texted by business leaders and politicians, sources have said. The prime minister is understood to have liberally distributed his personal number over the years.

Labour argued a leak inquiry missed the point. The opposition is expected to step up the pressure on the government, and demand that all ministers disclose their text message correspondence relating to government contracts in the coming days.

Rachel Reeves, the shadow Cabinet Office minister, called on ministers to be “vastly more transparent”. She added: “We need all ministers to offer urgent reassurances to the British public that they are not pandering to Tory friends and donors at the expense of taxpayers.”

But some ministers and special advisers fear any new rules obliging them to report every unsolicited text could “open the floodgates” and say “government by WhatsApp” is the norm across Westminster.

Others who have worked in Whitehall warned that Johnson has a “looser style” of government and may not always run all his communication through his private office. No 10 has said the prime minister always abides by the rules.

“There is a loophole that none of this stuff has to be publicly declared, as long as you are telling your officials of any government business, but if these inquiries order that everything needs to be declared, it will be mountains,” one former official said.

Another former civil servant, who was responsible for business liaison with Downing Street and other departments, said they believed Johnson’s mobile phone use demonstrated that “he just doesn’t understand that there needs to be a level of transparency and accountability” in regards to his actions.

They argued that the danger with engaging in direct correspondence was that it implied the prime minister believed “his own judgment on something is sufficient and no further information or assessment is required”.

A more proper approach, they argued, was to refer any direct lobbying to his private office and where necessary to arrange a meeting or phone call.

The row was sparked after the prime minister was revealed to have texted the pro-Brexit billionaire Dyson last year, promising that his staff would not have to pay extra tax if they came to the UK to make ventilators during the pandemic.

On Wednesday, Downing Street had said there would be no leak inquiry, only to change its mind 24 hours later.

“We have now decided to undertake this internal inquiry,” the spokesperson said. “As you would expect, we continually look at this and the position we decided today is that we want to make sure we have this internal inquiry into that.”

It will be an internal Cabinet Office inquiry and will not involve the police or the security services. It is understood the texts from Dyson were forwarded to a number of officials and aides in Whitehall.

Johnson’s spokesperson would not deny on the record that the cabinet secretary, Simon Case, advised Johnson to change his number because it was so widely known.

The prime minister promised to publish his text correspondence with Dyson, in a reply to the SNP’s Westminster leader, Ian Blackford, at prime minister’s questions, though No 10 aides have not given any timeframe for that to happen.

Labour also wrote to the chair of the liaison committee, Sir Bernard Jenkin, asking for the committee to question the prime minister on the use of his personal phone. The committee, which is made up of all the senior MPs who chair other select committees, will take evidence from Johnson before the summer recess.

There is no requirement in the ministerial code to declare lobbying approaches made by text, and no clear guidance on whether the code covers virtual meetings. However, texts to the prime minister concerning government business are covered under freedom of information legislation.

Meanwhile, a former minister has been rapped by the appointments regulator for failing to declare five external positions after leaving government.

George Freeman, the former transport minister, told the advisory committee on business appointments that it had been a genuine oversight that he failed to declare the work, including with PPE company Aerosol Shield, which intended to sell its products to the NHS.
Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
The rise and fall of Hui Ka Yan, China’s richest man
Woke: Britain Considers Plain Packaging for Cigars as Specialist Shops Warn of Industry Collapse
Britain's Public-Service Productivity Remains Below 2019 as £80 Billion Output Gap Fuels WFH Debate
Mandelson Epstein Case in Jeopardy as U.S. Files Stay Out of Reach
Prince Harry and Six Others Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million After High Court Defeat
Bank of England Holds Interest Rate at 3.75% as Inflation and Energy Risks Persist
UK AI Security Tests Find Autonomous Agent Attempting Malicious Code Injection
UK Economy Grows 0.4% in Second Quarter Amid Global Pressures
UK Joins European Allies in Condemning Israeli Settlement Plans in West Bank E1 Area
Multiple People Killed in A66 Collision Near Middlesbrough Involving Police Vehicle
UK Government Holds First National Day for Victims and Survivors of Terrorism
UK Met Office Warns of Severe Autumn Storms as Strong El Niño Follows Historic Drought
Petrol Bombs Set Luxury Cars Alight Outside Birmingham Wedding as Police Hunt Three Men
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Prince Harry and Co-Claimants Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million Toward Daily Mail Publisher’s Legal Costs
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Reportedly Plan Return to Britain With Their Children
UK Court Ruling Threatens Deportation Plans for Potential Trafficking Victims to Albania
Kemi Badenoch Presses UK Government for Decisions on Rosebank and Jackdaw Oil Fields
UK Foreign Affairs Committee Chair Calls for Ban on Goods from Occupied West Bank
Andy Burnham Government to Place Civil Servants Directly in English Mayoral Offices
Met Office Warns Major El Niño Could Bring Stormier, Wetter Autumn to UK
UK Economy Gains Unexpected Momentum Ahead of Andy Burnham Government’s First Budget
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Royal Navy to Accelerate DragonFire Laser Deployment Against Growing Drone Threat
Northern Ireland Approves Five Hundred Million Pound Belfast Harbour Expansion
Great British Railways Takes Full Control of Avanti West Coast as Rail Nationalisation Reaches Final Stage
UK AI Safety Institute Calls for Mandatory Security Audits of Advanced AI Models
Scotland Secures Three Billion Pounds for Floating Offshore Wind Hub in Aberdeen
Government Overrides Local Councils to Approve Green Belt Housing Across Southern England
UK and EU Move Toward Mutual Recognition of Food Standards to Ease Cross-Channel Trade
Government Plans Multibillion-Pound Private Healthcare Expansion to Cut NHS Surgical Backlogs
Bank of England Signals Faster Rate Cuts as Inflation Falls Below the Two Percent Target
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
Moderna Shares Surge After Positive Personalized Skin Cancer Trial Results
UK Markets Watch US National Debt Surpass Forty Trillion Dollars
UK Broadcasters Urge Government to Invest in Digital Participation and Broadband
CVC Capital Partners and Standard Life Launch Two Billion Pound Pension Risk Transfer Venture
UK Private Sector Productivity Growth Accelerates in Second Quarter
UK Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband Condemns Israeli E1 Settlement Tender
UK Watchdog Investigates Trainline, Virgin Atlantic and RED Driving School Over Hidden Fees
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Plan Move to Private Home Outside London
×