London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Saturday, Feb 21, 2026

Police commander gives inside account of what led to firing tear gas during Legco protests in Hong Kong on June 12

Rupert Dover, who was making tactical calls for officers around Lung Wui Road that day, stands by his decision to use canisters of the irritant. Police needed to get to a government minister trapped in car beneath an underpass and the option was the safest given the circumstances, he says

Hong Kong police had no choice but to fire tear gas into crowds of protesters near the Legislative Council building on June 12 last year as the alternative would have almost certainly led to casualties, a force commander has told the Post ahead of the anniversary of the day the rallies turned violent.

Rupert Dover, who was one of six senior officers leading the ground response to the demonstrations, also said he could understand the reasons young people might be driven to join the anti-government movement but smashing up the city could not be justified.

Dover explained some of the decisions he made that day in a wide-ranging interview and also shed light on the pain he and his family have suffered from doxxing by radicals. He no longer feels safe having his children live in Hong Kong and they remain in his native Britain.

The assistant police commissioner recalled that as thousands of protesters pushed towards Legco to disrupt a debate over a deeply unpopular extradition bill on June 12, he had a difficult decision to make.

Had the time come to fire tear gas?

The police had used pepper spray to deter protesters throughout the morning and early afternoon, but not tear gas, and the crowd appeared determined to get to the legislature.

Then Dover was told that several official vehicles, including one carrying a government minister, had been trapped in an underpass since morning and his team had to evacuate them.

He wanted to avoid a repeat of the 2016 Mong Kok riot, which left more than 100 officers injured after they clashed with protesters at close range.

Now, on Lung Wui Road near Legco, he was aware that if his officers marched into the crowd, protesters above the underpass could rain down bricks and other projectiles.

At around 3pm, he gave the order to fire tear gas.

“It was the most efficient way,” Dover, 52, told the Post, explaining he was anxious to avoid putting his officers at risk. “There could have been huge casualties to the police.”

Some say that was the first use of tear gas in last year’s protests and it changed the course of the social unrest as participants grew more violent afterwards.

Between June last year and this May, police fired 16,223 rounds of tear gas, 10,108 rubber bullets, 1,885 sponge grenades, 2,033 beanbag rounds and 19 live bullets.

Asked whether he realised at the time using tear gas might affect how the protests played out, the force veteran said: “I was aware of it.”

He was not certain he was the first to order the use of tear gas but declined to say more as the police actions that day were the subject of an ongoing judicial review.

Dover was born in Hertford in Britain and joined the Royal Hong Kong Police Force in 1988 when the city was still a British colony and remained after the handover to China in 1997. He was promoted to assistant police commissioner and appointed regional commander of Kowloon West in February.

He is among 48 foreign-born officers, mostly from Britain, remaining in the 31,000-strong force. Dover and two other senior British-born officers were slammed by protesters on social media for “doing Beijing’s dirty work”, while in London, a Member of Parliament demanded to know what the British government was doing “to bring these British citizens who ordered police brutality to book”.

A British citizen and a Hong Kong permanent resident, Dover said he was neither a “human rights abuser” nor doing “Beijing’s dirty work”, but it was the job of the police to uphold law and order.

He said he understood the frustration of protest participants but was totally against how some went about achieving their goals.

“I do understand some of the rationale – the soaring property prices, the lack of social mobility, perhaps the impression that there are decreased opportunities to move forward in life,” he said. “But that is no excuse for smashing up your home and assaulting members of the public.”

Dover found himself and his family targeted after word spread on social media that he was linked to the use of tear gas on June 12.

Personal information about him and even his family members in Britain began circulating online. Last summer, strangers turned up in Sai Kung, where he lived, looking for his house.




He also received death threats. Then the authorities called to ask whether he had registered as an organ donor after an application had been made using his particulars. The doxxing and threats grew so bad he and his wife decided not to bring their children back from Britain.

Last month, Dover became the subject of a Lands Department investigation after media reports alleged he might have flouted the rules over his family’s use of properties in Pik Shui Sun Tsuen in Clear Water Bay. The department issued a letter ordering some changes to be made and Dover said he would abide by any decision made, adding: “We’ve moved out of the house anyway, due to the threats we received.”

Dover said that throughout his career, his loyalties had always been clear.

“I don’t work for China. I don’t work for Beijing. I work for the Hong Kong government. So I work for the Hong Kong people,” he said. “They might not necessarily agree with everything we’ve been doing lately, but honestly, hand on heart, I believe what we have done has saved Hong Kong from a worse fate.”

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
UK Confirms Preferential U.S. Trading Terms Will Continue After Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
U.S. and U.K. to Hold Talks on Diego Garcia as Iran Objects to Potential Military Use
UK Officials Weigh Possible Changes to Prince Andrew’s Position in Line of Succession Amid Ongoing Scrutiny
British Police Probe Epstein’s UK Airport Links and Expand High-Profile Inquiries
United Kingdom Denies U.S. Access to Military Base for Potential Iran Strike
British Co-founder of ASOS falls to his death from Pattaya apartment
Early 2026 Data Suggests Tentative Recovery for UK Businesses and Households
UK Introduces Digital-First Passport Rules for Dual Citizens in Border Control Overhaul
Unable to Access Live Financial Data for January UK Surplus Report
UK Government Considers Law to Remove Prince Andrew from Royal Line of Succession
UK ‘Working Closely with US’ to Assess Impact of Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
Trump Criticises UK Decision to Restrict Use of Bases in Potential Iran Strike Scenario
UK Foreign Secretary and U.S. State Chief Hold Strategic Talks as Tensions Rise Over Joint Air Base
Two teens arrested in France for alleged terror plot.
Nordic Fracture: How Criminal Scandals and Toxic Ties are Dismantling the Norwegian Crown
US Supreme Court Voids Trump’s Emergency Tariff Plan, Reshaping Trade Power and Fiscal Risk
King Charles III Opens London Fashion Week as Royal Family Faces Fresh Scrutiny
Trump’s Evolving Stance on UK Chagos Islands Deal Draws Renewed Scrutiny
House Democrat Says Former UK Ambassador Unable to Testify in Congressional Epstein Inquiry
No Record of Prince Andrew Arrest in UK as Claims Circulate Online
UK Has Not Granted US Approval to Launch Iran Strikes from RAF Bases, Government Confirms
AI Pricing Pressure Mounts as Chinese Models Undercut US Rivals and Margin Risks Grow
Global Counsel, Advisory Firm Co-Founded by Lord Mandelson, Enters Administration After Client Exodus
London High Court dispute over Ricardo Salinas’s $400mn Elektra share-backed bitcoin loan
UK Intensifies Efforts to Secure Saudi Investment in Next-Generation Fighter Jet Programme
Former Student Files Civil Claim Against UK Authorities After Rape Charges Against Peers Are Dropped
Archer Aviation Chooses Bristol for New UK Engineering Hub to Drive Electric Air Taxi Expansion
UK Sees Surge in Medical Device Testing as Government Pushes Global Competitiveness
UK Competition Watchdog Flags Concerns Over Proposed Getty Images–Shutterstock Merger
Trump Reasserts Opposition to UK Chagos Islands Proposal, Urges Stronger Strategic Alignment
Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis advocates for a ban on minors using social media.
Liberal Senator Michaelia Cash Accuses Prime Minister of Lying to Australians
Meanwhile in Time Square, NYC One of the most famous landmarks
Jensen Huang just told the story of how Elon Musk became NVIDIA’s very first customer for their powerful AI supercomputer
A Lunar New Year event in Taiwan briefly came to a halt after a temple official standing beside President Lai Ching‑te suddenly vomited, splashing Lai’s clothing
Jillian Michaels reveals Bill Gates’ $55 million investment in mRNA vaccines turned into over $1 billion.
Ex-Prince Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's arrested
Former British Prince Andrew Arrested on Suspicion of Misconduct in Public Office
Four Chagos Islanders Establish Permanent Settlement on Atoll
Unitree Robotics founder Wang Xingxing showcases future robot deployment during Spring Festival Gala.
UK Inflation Slows Sharply in January, Strengthening Case for Bank of England Rate Cut
Hide the truth, fake the facts, pretend the opposite, Britain is as usual
France President Macron says Free Speech is Bull Sh!t
Viktor Orbán getting massive praise for keeping Hungary safe, rich and migrant-free!
UK Inflation Falls to Ten-Month Low, Markets Anticipate Interest Rate Cut
UK House Prices Climb 2.4% in December as Market Shows Signs of Stabilisation
BAE Systems Predicts Sustained Expansion as Defence Orders Reach Record High
Pro-Palestine Activists Cleared of Burglary Charges Over Break-In at UK Israeli Arms Facility
Former Reform UK Councillors Form New Local Group Amid Party Fragmentation
Reform UK Pledges to Retain Britain’s Budget Watchdog as It Seeks Broader Economic Credibility
×