London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Saturday, Aug 22, 2026

Hong Kong logs 12 new Covid-19 cases; jabs campaign delayed until March

Hong Kong logs 12 new Covid-19 cases; jabs campaign delayed until March

Authorities perform trial run in preparation for arrival of first jabs from Pfizer-BioNTech.

Hong Kong’s Covid-19 epidemic showed further signs of easing with 12 cases reported on Sunday, as a senior official confirmed the city’s vaccination programme would be delayed until early next month, although a preparatory trial run has been completed.

The latest caseload matched Saturday’s figure, a three-month low. All but two of the new cases were locally transmitted, including three untraceable infections. The city’s overall infection tally stood at 10,779, with 193 related deaths.

More than 10 people tested preliminary-positive for the virus.

In a boost to the hopes of many for a resumption of normal life, the city’s No 2 official, Matthew Cheung Kin-chung, said in his blog the government was “cautiously optimistic” about the epidemic, and reiterated plans to reopen from Thursday some closed leisure venues and resume evening dine-in services at restaurants.

Dr Chui Tak-yi, undersecretary for food and health, stayed on message at a regular Covid-19 press briefing on Sunday.

“The number of new cases remains [in the] low double digits but of course the situation may always change,” Chui said.

Chui urged the public to continue to cooperate with health authorities to keep the caseload low, which would “give more confidence” to lift social-distancing
measures soon.

Among the untraceable cases was a hairdresser at public broadcaster RTHK, prompting officials to quarantine about 20 people, including the patient’s close colleagues and recent guests the worker had contact with.

Audrey Eu had appeared on an RTHK programme.


Prominent barrister Audrey Eu Yuet-mee is among those who must self-isolate. The former politician revealed on Facebook she must spend 10 days in a hotel after the employee styled her hair before she appeared on RTHK show Legco Review.

In a 10-day trial starting on Tuesday, Eu was due to represent media tycoon Jimmy Lai Chee-ying, who is accused of participating in an illegal assembly during the 2019 anti-government protests. But Eu is likely to miss at least half of the trial because of the self-isolation.

Edward Choy Wai-bond, another senior counsel defending the tycoon, confirmed to the Post that he would press on with the trial.

The Centre for Health Protection said the hairdresser worked in a crowded environment where aerosol hair gel was used, adding outbreaks had previously taken place in similar settings such as the Glow Salon and Spa cluster, involving 17 patients.

The other untraceable cases on Sunday involved an asylum seeker who lived in a subdivided flat and an office worker.

Mandatory screening notices were issued for three buildings in Ma On Shan, Kwai Chung and Tseung Kwan O after at least one case was reported in each. All residents and anyone who had spent more than two hours on the premises over the past two weeks must get tested by Tuesday.

A single infection at the Boys’ and Girls’ Club Association of Hong Kong’s Tsz Wan Shan Children and Youth Integrated Services Centre spread to a social worker from another NGO who had attended a workshop there with 10 others, as well as another close contact.

Earlier on Sunday, Secretary for the Civil Service Patrick Nip Tak-kuen, the minister in charge of the citywide inoculation programme, set out the revised timetable for the roll-out.

Civil service chief Patrick Nip.


He said at least 20 centres would be set up to administer the inoculation programme across Hong Kong’s 18 districts.

Noting the complex procedures involved in handling the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine– which requires dilution and storage at ultra-low temperatures – Nip said the government had carried out simulation training to ensure the scheme would run safely and smoothly.

Medical and administrative staff had also been familiarised with emergency procedures at injection centres. Outreach teams would be sent to care homes for the elderly to administer the programme.

“We want to ensure it will be safe, orderly and solid,” Nip said.

On the CoronaVac vaccine developed by Sinovac, which was due to arrive at the end of last month, Nip said Hong Kong experts were still awaiting more data from the mainland firm.

Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor said last month the city’s vaccine programme would be deferred until at least the end of February.

She said the administration had experienced difficulties in securing doses of the BioNTech vaccine from Europe, Beijing-based Sinovac’s CoronaVac and the jab jointly developed by British-Swedish pharmaceutical firm AstraZeneca and the University of Oxford, despite having advance purchase agreements in place.

Hong Kong has ordered 7.5 million shots of the BioNTech vaccine, which is supplied by Fosun Pharma, and the same number from Sinovac.

The city has also procured another 7.5 million doses of the AstraZeneca-Oxford jab.

Hospital Authority chairman Henry Fan Hung-ling said health workers were ready for action, adding the body would help operate some vaccination centres and take part in the outreach project targeting care homes.

The first vaccinations will not be carried out in Hong Kong before early next month, a senior official has admitted.


Secretary for Innovation and Technology Alfred Sit Wing-hang, meanwhile, said his bureau had partnered with University of Hong Kong experts to create Bluetooth transmitters which could be placed at various premises to send signals to the government’s “Leave Home Safe” Covid-19 risk exposure app.

Mobile phones nearby would log the location after receiving the Bluetooth signal to make the experience more automatic, he said.

But to alleviate privacy concerns, Sit stressed the transmitters would have no way of receiving mobile signals. In a trial run, the bureau would introduce the new technology to minibuses first at the end of the month, he said.

The bureau was also working with Baptist University on a development to allow the app to automatically detect when users got out of a taxi, he added.

Downloads of the Leave Home Safe app had exceeded 700,000 since its launch on November 16 last year, Chui said on Sunday.

Premises such as restaurants and gyms have to apply for a QR code, which patrons scan upon entering, to help health authorities with contact tracing.

The app has passed an independent third-party security risk assessment and audit, ensuring it complies with the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance.

The city’s daily caseload has been dropping. The rolling seven-day average of cases had fallen to 19.3, Chui said, compared with a high of 75 in late January.

Out of the 135 cases recorded in the past week, 39 were untraceable and 31 asymptomatic.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
Petrol Bombs Set Luxury Cars Alight Outside Birmingham Wedding as Police Hunt Three Men
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Prince Harry and Co-Claimants Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million Toward Daily Mail Publisher’s Legal Costs
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Reportedly Plan Return to Britain With Their Children
UK Court Ruling Threatens Deportation Plans for Potential Trafficking Victims to Albania
Kemi Badenoch Presses UK Government for Decisions on Rosebank and Jackdaw Oil Fields
UK Foreign Affairs Committee Chair Calls for Ban on Goods from Occupied West Bank
Andy Burnham Government to Place Civil Servants Directly in English Mayoral Offices
Met Office Warns Major El Niño Could Bring Stormier, Wetter Autumn to UK
UK Economy Gains Unexpected Momentum Ahead of Andy Burnham Government’s First Budget
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Royal Navy to Accelerate DragonFire Laser Deployment Against Growing Drone Threat
Northern Ireland Approves Five Hundred Million Pound Belfast Harbour Expansion
Great British Railways Takes Full Control of Avanti West Coast as Rail Nationalisation Reaches Final Stage
UK AI Safety Institute Calls for Mandatory Security Audits of Advanced AI Models
Scotland Secures Three Billion Pounds for Floating Offshore Wind Hub in Aberdeen
Government Overrides Local Councils to Approve Green Belt Housing Across Southern England
UK and EU Move Toward Mutual Recognition of Food Standards to Ease Cross-Channel Trade
Government Plans Multibillion-Pound Private Healthcare Expansion to Cut NHS Surgical Backlogs
Bank of England Signals Faster Rate Cuts as Inflation Falls Below the Two Percent Target
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
Moderna Shares Surge After Positive Personalized Skin Cancer Trial Results
UK Markets Watch US National Debt Surpass Forty Trillion Dollars
UK Broadcasters Urge Government to Invest in Digital Participation and Broadband
CVC Capital Partners and Standard Life Launch Two Billion Pound Pension Risk Transfer Venture
UK Private Sector Productivity Growth Accelerates in Second Quarter
UK Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband Condemns Israeli E1 Settlement Tender
UK Watchdog Investigates Trainline, Virgin Atlantic and RED Driving School Over Hidden Fees
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Plan Move to Private Home Outside London
UK Retail Sentiment Improves as Summer Spending Boosts Consumer Confidence
UK Aid Cuts Draw Warnings From Charities Over Humanitarian Consequences
UK Financial Conduct Authority Issues Guidance for Motor Finance Redress Scheme
UK Met Office Launches Aviation Programme to Reduce Climate Impact of Persistent Contrails
Former UK Civil Service Chief Received Record 500,000 Pound Severance Payment
West Midlands to Bring Bus Network Under Public Franchising Model
UK Government Drops Plan to Relax Affordable Housing Requirements After Backlash
UK Reaffirms Military Support for Ukraine Despite Russian Hybrid Warfare Threats
UK Technology Sector Expands Nearly 8 Percent as Digital Industry Outpaces Wider Economy
UK Drought Threatens Harvests Across England and Wales as Food Inflation Risks Persist
UK Government Pledges 442 Million Pounds to End Rough Sleeping by Christmas
UK Government Signals Willingness to Reconsider Digital Services Tax Amid US Tariff Threats
×