London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Saturday, Feb 21, 2026

Four Johnson aides quit in fallout from Downing Street parties

Four Johnson aides quit in fallout from Downing Street parties

Policy chief Munira Mirza was first to go, followed shortly by Jack Doyle, Dan Rosenfield and Martin Reynolds

Four of Boris Johnson’s key staff have quit as the fallout from the Downing Street party scandal continued to shake his hold on government.

Johnson’s longstanding policy chief Munira Mirza was the first to go, using a stinging resignation letter to accuse the prime minister of “scurrilous” behaviour when he falsely linked Keir Starmer to the failure to bring paedophile Jimmy Savile to justice.

Within hours, three more of Johnson’s staff had gone – Dan Rosenfield, his chief of staff, Martin Reynolds, his principal private secretary, and his director of communications, Jack Doyle.

All three have been implicated in Downing Street’s response to the lockdown parties that are now being investigated by the Metropolitan police.

Reynolds sent a widely shared email urging staff to “bring your own booze” to one event on 20 May 2020.

While Johnson was expected to clear out many of his top team in the wake of Sue Gray’s report into the lockdown-breaking gatherings published earlier this week, Mirza’s resignation came out of the blue.

And in a sign of Johnson’s waning authority, this also provoked the chancellor to issue a rare rebuke, as he also criticised the prime minister for his jibe against the Labour leader.

Asked about the comments at a press conference on Thursday, Sunak said: “Being honest, I wouldn’t have said it.”


Pressed repeatedly on whether Johnson should apologise, he said that was a matter for the prime minister.

Sunak has previously declined to criticise Johnson directly throughout the weeks of revelations about lockdown-busting parties in Downing Street, though he has acknowledged that mistakes were made.

The flurry of resignations came at the end of an important day for the government as the chancellor sought to explain how he hopes to avert a cost of living crisis for millions of people affected by rising fuel bills and mortgage payments.

But the focus once again turned to the turmoil in Downing Street when Mirza resigned.

Johnson has repeatedly refused to apologise, after saying in a rowdy House of Commons session on Monday that, as director of public prosecutions from 2008 to 2013, Starmer had “spent most of his time prosecuting journalists and failing to prosecute Jimmy Savile”.

In fact, Starmer took no personal role in decisions connected to Savile’s case.

In a strongly worded resignation letter, Mirza told Johnson: “There was no fair or reasonable basis for that assertion. This was not the usual cut and thrust of politics; it was an inappropriate and partisan reference to a horrendous case of child sexual abuse.”

Mirza’s departure was regarded at Westminster as a serious blow to Johnson, who was under pressure to overhaul his Downing Street operation after Gray identified failures of leadership and judgment.

It was swiftly followed later on Thursday by the resignation of Doyle – though he insisted his departure was unconnected with Mirza’s. A No 10 spokesperson said Doyle had “made a huge contribution and the prime minister is immensely grateful for the work he has done”.

Downing Street later confirmed the departures of Rosenfield and Reynolds in a brief statement.

“Dan Rosenfield offered his resignation to the prime minister earlier today, which has been accepted,” it said.

“Martin Reynolds also informed the prime minister of his intention to stand down from his role as principal private secretary and the prime minister has agreed to this.

“He has thanked them both for their significant contribution to government and No 10, including work on the pandemic response and economic recovery.

“They will continue in their roles while successors are appointed, and recruitment for both posts is under way.”

The prime minister had earlier sought to row back from the Savile claims on Thursday, saying “a lot of people have got very hot under the collar”.

“Let’s be absolutely clear, I’m talking not about the leader of the opposition’s personal record when he was director of public prosecutions and I totally understand that he had nothing to do personally with those decisions,” Johnson said on a visit to Blackpool.


“I was making a point about his responsibility for the organisation as a whole. I really do want to clarify that because it is important.”

That was not enough to placate Mirza, however. In her resignation letter, she told him: “You tried to clarify your position today but, despite my urging, you did not apologise for the misleading impression you gave.”

She said Johnson was “a better man than many of your detractors will ever understand”, adding that it was “so desperately sad that you let yourself down by making a scurrilous accusation against the leader of the opposition”.

A spokesperson said: “We are very sorry Munira has left No 10 and are grateful for her service and contribution to government.”

Munira Mirza’s resignation letter.


Johnson moved quickly to replace Mirza, promoting Andrew Griffith to head up the No 10 policy unit as a minister in the Cabinet Office.

A wealthy former Sky executive, Griffith lent Johnson his £9.5m townhouse as a campaign base during his 2019 leadership bid. Now the MP for Arundel and South Downs, he has been serving as Johnson’s parliamentary private secretary – liaising with MPs.

Mirza, often seen as a proponent of Downing Street’s “war on woke”, had worked with Johnson for more than a decade, including at City Hall when he was mayor of London. He previously identified her as one of the five most inspiring women in his life. Her partner, Dougie Smith, is also a senior Tory adviser.

Johnson’s former adviser Dominic Cummings claimed Mirza’s departure was “an unmistakeable signal the bunker is collapsing and this PM is finished”. He urged ministers to show a similar “flicker of moral courage” and resign.

In another sign of the pressures on Johnson from within his own party, West Midlands mayor Andy Street, one of the most prominent Tories outside Westminster, said he was unsure whether he could continue to support the prime minister.

“What he’s done, very clearly, is wrong. It’s bad by any measure,” Street told BirminghamLive. “He has apologised. He appears to me to be a man who is genuine in that apology. You can see that from his demeanour. But what we’ve now got to see is that this apology follows through in terms of actions, how he leads and what is done within Downing Street to make it very, very different.

“The honest answer is that we are waiting to see if he follows through on what he’s now said.”

Three Conservative MPs went public on Wednesday with their intention to submit letters of no confidence in the prime minister. One senior Tory MP said the departure of Mirza smacked of “the last days of Rome,” suggesting the number of no confidence letters may now be approaching the threshold of 54 that would trigger a no confidence vote.

If Johnson lost such a vote, which could be held within days, his premiership would be over.

The Savile/Starmer smear has circulated on far-right blogs, and at prime minister’s questions on Wednesday, Starmer accused Johnson of “parroting the conspiracy theories of violent fascists” for political gain.

Several cabinet ministers, including Nadine Dorries and Michael Gove, have since defended Johnson, however, with the justice secretary, Dominic Raab, calling it part of the “cut and thrust” of parliamentary debate.

Before prime minister’s questions on Wednesday, the Speaker, Lindsay Hoyle, reminded MPs of the importance of being truthful in the House of Commons.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
OpenAI CEO Sam Altman praises the rapid progress of Chinese tech companies.
North Korea's capital experiences a significant construction boom with the development of a new city district dubbed 'Pyonghattan'.
New electric vehicle charging service eliminates waiting times
Vox Populi confronts Justin Trudeau at Davos over vaccination policies
Poland's President Karol Nawrocki ENDS support for Ukrainian citizens:
The mayor of Rotherham in Britain
One day after ex-Prince Andrew's arrest, British police are searching his former home, while U.K. lawmakers will consider introducing legislation to remove him from the line of royal succession
Vandana Shiva reminding the world that Bill Gates did not invent anything.
Italy's PM Giorgia Meloni highlights record employment and economic growth
UK Confirms Preferential U.S. Trading Terms Will Continue After Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
U.S. and U.K. to Hold Talks on Diego Garcia as Iran Objects to Potential Military Use
UK Officials Weigh Possible Changes to Prince Andrew’s Position in Line of Succession Amid Ongoing Scrutiny
British Police Probe Epstein’s UK Airport Links and Expand High-Profile Inquiries
The Impact of U.S. Sanctions on Cuba's Humanitarian Crisis: A Tightening Noose
Trump Directs Government to Release UFO and Alien Information
Trump Signs Global 10% Tariffs on Imports
United Kingdom Denies U.S. Access to Military Base for Potential Iran Strike
British Co-founder of ASOS falls to his death from Pattaya apartment
Early 2026 Data Suggests Tentative Recovery for UK Businesses and Households
UK Introduces Digital-First Passport Rules for Dual Citizens in Border Control Overhaul
Unable to Access Live Financial Data for January UK Surplus Report
UK Government Considers Law to Remove Prince Andrew from Royal Line of Succession
UK ‘Working Closely with US’ to Assess Impact of Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
Trump Criticises UK Decision to Restrict Use of Bases in Potential Iran Strike Scenario
UK Foreign Secretary and U.S. State Chief Hold Strategic Talks as Tensions Rise Over Joint Air Base
Two teens arrested in France for alleged terror plot.
Nordic Fracture: How Criminal Scandals and Toxic Ties are Dismantling the Norwegian Crown
US Supreme Court Voids Trump’s Emergency Tariff Plan, Reshaping Trade Power and Fiscal Risk
King Charles III Opens London Fashion Week as Royal Family Faces Fresh Scrutiny
Trump’s Evolving Stance on UK Chagos Islands Deal Draws Renewed Scrutiny
House Democrat Says Former UK Ambassador Unable to Testify in Congressional Epstein Inquiry
No Record of Prince Andrew Arrest in UK as Claims Circulate Online
UK Has Not Granted US Approval to Launch Iran Strikes from RAF Bases, Government Confirms
AI Pricing Pressure Mounts as Chinese Models Undercut US Rivals and Margin Risks Grow
Global Counsel, Advisory Firm Co-Founded by Lord Mandelson, Enters Administration After Client Exodus
London High Court dispute over Ricardo Salinas’s $400mn Elektra share-backed bitcoin loan
UK Intensifies Efforts to Secure Saudi Investment in Next-Generation Fighter Jet Programme
Former Student Files Civil Claim Against UK Authorities After Rape Charges Against Peers Are Dropped
Archer Aviation Chooses Bristol for New UK Engineering Hub to Drive Electric Air Taxi Expansion
UK Sees Surge in Medical Device Testing as Government Pushes Global Competitiveness
UK Competition Watchdog Flags Concerns Over Proposed Getty Images–Shutterstock Merger
Trump Reasserts Opposition to UK Chagos Islands Proposal, Urges Stronger Strategic Alignment
Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis advocates for a ban on minors using social media.
Liberal Senator Michaelia Cash Accuses Prime Minister of Lying to Australians
Meanwhile in Time Square, NYC One of the most famous landmarks
Jensen Huang just told the story of how Elon Musk became NVIDIA’s very first customer for their powerful AI supercomputer
A Lunar New Year event in Taiwan briefly came to a halt after a temple official standing beside President Lai Ching‑te suddenly vomited, splashing Lai’s clothing
Jillian Michaels reveals Bill Gates’ $55 million investment in mRNA vaccines turned into over $1 billion.
Ex-Prince Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's arrested
Former British Prince Andrew Arrested on Suspicion of Misconduct in Public Office
×