London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Thursday, Aug 20, 2026

Foreign Office warns against Iran and Iraq travel advice

The Foreign Office has hardened its travel advice for Iran and Iraq after the killing of top Iranian general Qasem Soleimani in a US airstrike.

It warns British nationals not to travel to Iraq, except for essential travel to the Kurdistan Region of Iraq, and only essential travel to Iran.

The death has increased tensions in the region, where the UK has 400 troops.

The Royal Navy has resumed escorting British ships in the Gulf, where a tanker was seized last year.

Defence Secretary Ben Wallace said HMS Montrose and HMS Defender will accompany UK-flagged ships through the Strait of Hormuz, as it did between July and November following the seizure of the Stena Impero by Iran.

He said he spoke to his US counterpart Mark Esper on Friday and urged all parties to de-escalate the situation.

But Mr Wallace said: "Under international law the United States is entitled to defend itself against those posing an imminent threat to its citizens."

US forces in Iraq were "repeatedly attacked" by Iranian-backed militia and Gen Soleimani was "at the heart" of such efforts to undermine neighbouring nations and target Iran's enemies, he added.

Earlier Shadow foreign secretary Emily Thornberry had called the UK government's response "pathetic".

Ms Thornberry said: "I don't understand why Britain isn't calling for an emergency meeting of the [UN] security council.

"I think there is a tremendous risk we could end up in another war and I think we have to do everything that we can to pull Donald Trump back from this."

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn has written to Prime Minister Boris Johnson calling for an urgent meeting of the Privy Council - the group that advises monarchs - over the airstrike.

Meanwhile, former foreign secretary Jeremy Hunt said the situation was "very, very risky" and the UK's job was to "use our influence to argue for consistent US policy".

The killing of Gen Soleimani marks a major escalation in tensions between Washington and Tehran.

There were chants of "death to America" in the streets of Baghdad on Saturday as mourners took part in a funeral procession for him.


'Remain vigilant'

In its advice, published on Saturday, the Foreign Office said there is a risk that British or British-Iranian dual nationals "could be arbitrarily detained or arrested in Iran".

"The criminal justice process followed in such cases falls below international standards," it said.

The Foreign Office also said alerts for other parts of the Middle East were being increased, with calls for citizens to "remain vigilant" in nations including Afghanistan, Israel, Lebanon, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.

It advised people to keep up to date with developments via the media and its own travel advice.

Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab said: "Given heightened tensions in the region, the FCO now advise people not to travel to Iraq, with the exception of the Kurdistan Region of Iraq, and to consider carefully whether it's essential to travel to Iran. We will keep this under review."

Its advice for British-Iranian dual nationals remains unchanged, warning them not to travel to Iran.

It comes as the US has pledged to send 3,000 extra troops as a precaution.

The UK has 400 troops based in the Middle East and works alongside US forces in the region.

Mr Raab has previously urged for a calming of tensions, adding: "Further conflict is in none of our interests."


'We need to stand up to US'

On Saturday, around 150 people gathered outside Downing Street for an "emergency" protest organised by the Stop the War Coalition, urging the US to avoid more conflict with Iran.

Among them were shadow chancellor John McDonnell and shadow justice secretary Richard Burgon.

Speaking on BBC Breakfast, Ms Thornberry - who has said she will run for the Labour leadership - called the airstrike a "deliberate and reckless escalation of the conflict with Iran".

"I'm very concerned we could get dragged into this," she said.

"We have a place on the security council, not so that we can play at being Donald Trump's mini-me or always agreeing with the Americans. There are times we need to stand up to them."

BBC News understands the prime minister was not warned about Friday's airstrike.

Speaking on BBC Radio 4's Today programme, former foreign secretary Mr Hunt said he thought it was "regrettable because, as one of the US's closest allies, I think it's an important aspect of that relationship that there are no surprises".

"But it may also have been because they didn't want to put us in a difficult position of asking us to make a judgement as to whether we agreed or not with what was done."

He added: "The UK cannot afford to be neutral if we want to be a serious global player."


'Urge restraint'

Writing to the prime minister, Mr Corbyn asked several questions including what the UK was told before the airstrike and what the government was doing to ensure the safety of UK nationals.

Earlier, he called the killing of Gen Soleimani a "US assassination" and said the UK "should urge restraint" from both Iran and the US.

Mr Corbyn became a member of the Privy Council in 2015. Its members include all former prime ministers and cabinet ministers as well as leaders of the opposition.

Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon described the situation as "extremely worrying" and urged all parties to "restrain from further violence and work to de-escalate tensions".

"Further conflict in the Middle East is in no-one's interests," she said.

The acting leader of the Liberal Democrats, Sir Ed Davey, called for an immediate statement from Mr Johnson about the UK's position, adding that Britain should "work with a broader group of concerned states at the United Nations".

Mr Raab spoke to US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Friday, although the time of the call is not known.

Mr Pompeo tweeted that he was "thankful that our allies recognise the continuing aggressive threats posed by the Iranian Quds Force".

In a statement, Mr Raab urged "all parties to de-escalate" after the killing of Gen Soleimani.

He said the UK "recognised the aggressive threat" Gen Soleimani posed, but "further conflict is in none of our interests".

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
Moderna Shares Surge After Positive Personalized Skin Cancer Trial Results
UK Markets Watch US National Debt Surpass Forty Trillion Dollars
UK Broadcasters Urge Government to Invest in Digital Participation and Broadband
CVC Capital Partners and Standard Life Launch Two Billion Pound Pension Risk Transfer Venture
UK Private Sector Productivity Growth Accelerates in Second Quarter
UK Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband Condemns Israeli E1 Settlement Tender
UK Watchdog Investigates Trainline, Virgin Atlantic and RED Driving School Over Hidden Fees
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Plan Move to Private Home Outside London
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
UK Retail Sentiment Improves as Summer Spending Boosts Consumer Confidence
UK Aid Cuts Draw Warnings From Charities Over Humanitarian Consequences
UK Financial Conduct Authority Issues Guidance for Motor Finance Redress Scheme
UK Met Office Launches Aviation Programme to Reduce Climate Impact of Persistent Contrails
Former UK Civil Service Chief Received Record 500,000 Pound Severance Payment
West Midlands to Bring Bus Network Under Public Franchising Model
UK Government Drops Plan to Relax Affordable Housing Requirements After Backlash
UK Reaffirms Military Support for Ukraine Despite Russian Hybrid Warfare Threats
UK Technology Sector Expands Nearly 8 Percent as Digital Industry Outpaces Wider Economy
UK Drought Threatens Harvests Across England and Wales as Food Inflation Risks Persist
UK Government Pledges 442 Million Pounds to End Rough Sleeping by Christmas
UK Government Signals Willingness to Reconsider Digital Services Tax Amid US Tariff Threats
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9 Percent as Energy Costs Threaten Economic Recovery
NHS Hospitals Cancel Surgeries as Extreme Heat Pushes Ward Temperatures Above 40 Degrees Celsius
UK Heatwave Forces Emergency Measures as Wildfire Risk, Hospital Disruption and Drought Intensify
A Sleepless Night on Wall Street: Nasdaq to Begin Nearly Round-the-Clock Trading
"The First in the World": 69-Year-Old Protested Artificial Intelligence—and Went to Jail
Ukraine's Ousted Defence Minister Calls for Wartime Presidential Election
UK Marks Ten Years of Night Tube as London Weekend Usage Exceeds Eighty-One Thousand Journeys a Night
Met Office Issues Thunderstorm Warnings Across Northern Ireland Over Flash-Flood Risk
Frasers Group Raises Stake in Hugo Boss to Nearly Forty-Eight Percent
Scottish Clyde Marine Pilots Prepare for Strike That Could Disrupt Glasgow and Greenock Shipping
Twenty Passengers Injured After Southern Train Derails Near Lewes in East Sussex
Government Rules Out High-Speed Rail Revival Between West Midlands and Northern England
West Midlands Bus Network Returns to Public Ownership in Twenty-Four Million Pound Deal
UK Competition Watchdog Targets Trainline, Virgin Atlantic and RED Driving School Over Drip Pricing
Northern Ireland Health Minister Mike Nesbitt Resigns After Dispute Over Causeway Hospital Surgery Closure
UK Long-Term Government Bond Yields Rise to Five Point Eight Five Percent as Borrowing Costs Surge
UK Government Overhauls Planning Rules to Push Housing Development Near Major Transport Hubs
UK Health and Economic Pressures Highlight Wider Strain on Households and Public Finances
UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham Reaffirms Full Support for Ukraine Amid Russian Warnings
Sainsbury’s Suspends Live Facial Recognition at London Store After Customer Misidentified
Artists Urge UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham to Reject New North Sea Oil and Gas Licensing
UK Government Awards Four Hundred and Fifty-Six Million Pound Civil Service Training Contract to EY and KPMG
×