London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Saturday, Aug 22, 2026

First Hongkongers apply for BN(O) visas as Exco member slams policy

First Hongkongers apply for BN(O) visas as Exco member slams policy

Parents with small children dominate a slightly busier than normal day at Britain’s visa centre in the city.

Britain’s visa centre in North Point was slightly busier than normal on Monday as the first Hong Kong residents walked through its doors to apply for a new British National (Overseas) immigration scheme, even as a member of the city’s Executive Council said they were being treated like “refugees”.

Unveiled by London last July in the wake of Beijing’s imposition of the national security law, the application process, which opens a potential pathway to citizenship to 5.4 million eligible Hongkongers, had launched online a day earlier.

In the morning, most applying in person for the new BN(O) visa were parents accompanied by small children as well as a handful of young couples and elderly residents.


One couple who spoke to the Post said that, after first turning in their applications online on Sunday, it took just 30 minutes to submit their fingerprints and photos at the visa centre.

Those who apply before February 23 are required to visit the centre and provide fingerprint and facial scans before the application can be processed.

Applications submitted after that date can be completed online through a new app.

One employee described Monday’s foot traffic as only a bit heavier than usual at the centre, which opens for BN(O) visa applications every day at 9am and closes at 7pm.

Francois and his wife Ivory, who asked for their last names to be withheld, submitted their application at the centre shortly after noon.

The couple, who have been married for about a year, were originally planning to relocate to Canada over concerns about what they claimed were Hong Kong’s shrinking political freedoms, but jumped on Britain’s offer when it unveiled the new visa.

They said they were more worried about the severe Covid-19 outbreak in Britain, than finding a job there or leaving their family in Hong Kong.

Francois, a 38-year-old entrepreneur originally from Canada, said he could easily continue with his current job from Britain, and had friends there who might be able to help Ivory find a job.

“So we’ll cross that bridge when we get there,” he said.

Ivory, a 34-year-old Hongkonger, said “family is not an issue for us”, because their loved ones had all already moved out of the city, or were planning to do so soon.

Her parents left for Taiwan last year, while her brother has applied for permanent residency in Australia with his wife.

When asked whether they would miss Hong Kong, Ivory answered “absolutely”, pointing to local food in particular.

“For me, the food, the culture, the buildings, the friends – it’s unlike any other place in the world,” Francois said.

“But it’s not like we’re not going to come back,” he said, adding that he didn’t think the Hong Kong government could or would take action to prevent them from returning.

Regina Ip Lau Suk-yee, an executive councillor and lawmaker, said Britain was essentially treating Hong Kong residents hoping to move there under the scheme as “refugees”.


A new British National (Overseas) visa scheme is presenting 5.4 million eligible Hongkongers with a potential path to citizenship overseas.


“You can go by simply paying for the visa and National Health Service fees and answering 100 questions. They are more or less treating you as refugees,” she told a Monday morning radio programme.

Ip admitted that a move by the Beijing and Hong Kong governments to stop recognising BN(O) passports would have little impact on the passport holders, but added there were other options available as countermeasures to the visa scheme.

She said Beijing could strip those people who settled in Britain of their status as Hong Kong permanent residents.

About 7,000 Hongkongers have already moved to Britain since July under a temporary arrangement to admit city residents that predates the visa scheme.

Ip said she believed those who had taken advantage of it were either unhappy with the national security law, or had taken part in 2019’s social unrest
and were afraid of being arrested.

She also suggested Hongkongers who emigrated under the new scheme might have “no skills and qualifications”, unlike professionals such as doctors, who could emigrate into the country via traditional methods.

On Sunday, Beijing lambasted London as the application window for the new visa programme opened, calling the move “the logic of a brazen bandit”.

The Hong Kong and Macau Affairs Office issued a “strong condemnation”, accusing London of turning swathes of Hongkongers into its “second-class citizens”.


Lawmaker Regina Ip slammed the new British visa programme on Monday, saying it essentially treated Hongkongers as ‘refugees’.


Former Democratic Party lawmaker Emily Lau Wai-hing, however, called on authorities to “calm down” and respect people’s choices.

Lau also questioned the logic of Beijing targeting BN(O) holders in Hong Kong even as it allowed others to keep their overseas citizenships.

“It is none of their business [if Hongkongers choose to leave the city],” Lau said. “If Hong Kong residents feel they are safe, peaceful and free, do you believe they will, for no reason, sell their property and move overseas?”

The new visa will allow everyone with BN(O) status and their dependants to stay in the country for up to five years, with the right to work and study, and to apply for citizenship after six years.

Last October, the British government estimated more than 1 million Hongkongers might emigrate over the next five years, although that was at the extreme end of the forecast. A more likely number was thought to be about 320,000.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
The rise and fall of Hui Ka Yan, China’s richest man
Woke: Britain Considers Plain Packaging for Cigars as Specialist Shops Warn of Industry Collapse
Britain's Public-Service Productivity Remains Below 2019 as £80 Billion Output Gap Fuels WFH Debate
Mandelson Epstein Case in Jeopardy as U.S. Files Stay Out of Reach
Prince Harry and Six Others Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million After High Court Defeat
Petrol Bombs Set Luxury Cars Alight Outside Birmingham Wedding as Police Hunt Three Men
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Prince Harry and Co-Claimants Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million Toward Daily Mail Publisher’s Legal Costs
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Reportedly Plan Return to Britain With Their Children
UK Court Ruling Threatens Deportation Plans for Potential Trafficking Victims to Albania
Kemi Badenoch Presses UK Government for Decisions on Rosebank and Jackdaw Oil Fields
UK Foreign Affairs Committee Chair Calls for Ban on Goods from Occupied West Bank
Andy Burnham Government to Place Civil Servants Directly in English Mayoral Offices
Met Office Warns Major El Niño Could Bring Stormier, Wetter Autumn to UK
UK Economy Gains Unexpected Momentum Ahead of Andy Burnham Government’s First Budget
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Royal Navy to Accelerate DragonFire Laser Deployment Against Growing Drone Threat
Northern Ireland Approves Five Hundred Million Pound Belfast Harbour Expansion
Great British Railways Takes Full Control of Avanti West Coast as Rail Nationalisation Reaches Final Stage
UK AI Safety Institute Calls for Mandatory Security Audits of Advanced AI Models
Scotland Secures Three Billion Pounds for Floating Offshore Wind Hub in Aberdeen
Government Overrides Local Councils to Approve Green Belt Housing Across Southern England
UK and EU Move Toward Mutual Recognition of Food Standards to Ease Cross-Channel Trade
Government Plans Multibillion-Pound Private Healthcare Expansion to Cut NHS Surgical Backlogs
Bank of England Signals Faster Rate Cuts as Inflation Falls Below the Two Percent Target
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
Moderna Shares Surge After Positive Personalized Skin Cancer Trial Results
UK Markets Watch US National Debt Surpass Forty Trillion Dollars
UK Broadcasters Urge Government to Invest in Digital Participation and Broadband
CVC Capital Partners and Standard Life Launch Two Billion Pound Pension Risk Transfer Venture
UK Private Sector Productivity Growth Accelerates in Second Quarter
UK Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband Condemns Israeli E1 Settlement Tender
UK Watchdog Investigates Trainline, Virgin Atlantic and RED Driving School Over Hidden Fees
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Plan Move to Private Home Outside London
UK Retail Sentiment Improves as Summer Spending Boosts Consumer Confidence
UK Aid Cuts Draw Warnings From Charities Over Humanitarian Consequences
UK Financial Conduct Authority Issues Guidance for Motor Finance Redress Scheme
UK Met Office Launches Aviation Programme to Reduce Climate Impact of Persistent Contrails
Former UK Civil Service Chief Received Record 500,000 Pound Severance Payment
West Midlands to Bring Bus Network Under Public Franchising Model
UK Government Drops Plan to Relax Affordable Housing Requirements After Backlash
×