London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Saturday, Aug 22, 2026

Fireworks in Wuhan as coronavirus checkpoints are taken down

Fireworks in Wuhan as coronavirus checkpoints are taken down

Authorities begin clearing them as the city hardest hit by the crisis prepares to go back to work, but routes out will remain blocked. But routes out will remain blocked, and some residents question how reliable the official numbers are
Some in Wuhan, the Chinese city hit hardest by the coronavirus, celebrated with fireworks as authorities began removing checkpoints after reporting no new cases for a third day, while other places also eased restrictions.

The command centre handling the crisis ordered that the checkpoints – set up when the city was locked down in January to contain the spread of the virus – be cleared starting from Friday, as Wuhan prepares to return to work.

But routes out of the city would remain blocked, according to a notice issued by the command centre.

A video posted on social media by Dahe Daily on Saturday showed several checkpoints being taken down in Huangpi district, and fireworks being set off to celebrate the removal of one in Xinzhou district.

However, not everyone was cheering the development, with some of the city’s 11 million residents questioning how reliable the official data was.

Wen Ji, who lives in the city and runs photography classes online, confirmed that checkpoints within the city were being removed. But she doubted whether there really had been no new cases of Covid-19 in the past three days.

“I don’t believe this number – I think it’s safer to keep staying at home,” she said.

The crisis would be over when people could come and go freely from the city, according to Wen, who referred to a joke circulating online that “we know we’re healthy, they know we’re healthy … but no one is brave enough to let us leave”.

Andy Wang, a volunteer driver who has been ferrying medical workers to and from hospitals, said he was happy to see the checkpoints go and looked forward to being “honourably discharged” when public transport resumed and he was no longer needed.

“I can see Wuhan is almost at the point of victory, and life will probably go back to normal soon,” he said. “I hope all those who were fighting the epidemic can go home and reunite with their families.”

But it may still be some time before the control measures in Wuhan are completely lifted. Since Tuesday, people living in residential compounds considered to be “epidemic-free” for at least seven days have been allowed to leave their homes and move around within the compound. However, people are still unable to travel freely around Wuhan.

“The entire city needs to be a low-risk area for people to move around freely. We look forward to this day arriving soon,” Wu Hao, a member of an expert team from the National Health Commission, told state broadcaster CCTV. “If the city can also become an ‘epidemic-free area’ then the space for people to move around will be greater.”

There has been at least one suspected case of the virus in Wuhan recently – a 62-year-old man tested negative on Tuesday, positive on Thursday, then negative again on Friday. But since he did not have symptoms such as a fever or cough, he was not classified as a confirmed case, according to a notice from authorities in Qiaokou district, where the man lives.

Elsewhere in the country, other cities have been easing their control measures, with China reporting no new domestic cases since Wednesday.

The eastern province of Jiangxi, with a population of around 45 million, declared all of its counties and cities low-risk zones on Saturday and lifted all movement restrictions on people and goods. People entering public spaces are still required to show their health status on an app launched by the provincial authorities.

Also in the east, Hangzhou in Zhejiang removed a requirement for people to wear masks in places including well-ventilated areas and those with no crowds. From Saturday, people in Hangzhou will no longer have to undergo temperature and health status checks in public spaces and on public transport, local authorities said.

Containment efforts in China are now focused on imported cases. National Health Commission spokesman Mi Feng said in a press briefing that the number of imported cases had surged 216 per cent since March 11, when there were 85 such cases, to 269 as of Friday. That compared with a 98 per cent increase in total infections worldwide in that period.

“We have to strictly stop imported cases, step up epidemic control and avoid any rebound,” he said.

Some international flights to Beijing were diverted to nearby cities such as Tianjin and Taiyuan on Friday to contain the epidemic, according to the Civil Aviation Administration of China.

Meanwhile in the southwest city of Kunming, around 1,200 people have been placed under quarantine after returning from overseas. Most are Chinese nationals, according to Kunming Daily.
Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
Mandelson Epstein Case in Jeopardy as U.S. Files Stay Out of Reach
Prince Harry and Six Others Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million After High Court Defeat
The rise and fall of Hui Ka Yan, China’s richest man
Woke: Britain Considers Plain Packaging for Cigars as Specialist Shops Warn of Industry Collapse
Britain's Public-Service Productivity Remains Below 2019 as £80 Billion Output Gap Fuels WFH Debate
Petrol Bombs Set Luxury Cars Alight Outside Birmingham Wedding as Police Hunt Three Men
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Prince Harry and Co-Claimants Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million Toward Daily Mail Publisher’s Legal Costs
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Reportedly Plan Return to Britain With Their Children
UK Court Ruling Threatens Deportation Plans for Potential Trafficking Victims to Albania
Kemi Badenoch Presses UK Government for Decisions on Rosebank and Jackdaw Oil Fields
UK Foreign Affairs Committee Chair Calls for Ban on Goods from Occupied West Bank
Andy Burnham Government to Place Civil Servants Directly in English Mayoral Offices
Met Office Warns Major El Niño Could Bring Stormier, Wetter Autumn to UK
UK Economy Gains Unexpected Momentum Ahead of Andy Burnham Government’s First Budget
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Royal Navy to Accelerate DragonFire Laser Deployment Against Growing Drone Threat
Northern Ireland Approves Five Hundred Million Pound Belfast Harbour Expansion
Great British Railways Takes Full Control of Avanti West Coast as Rail Nationalisation Reaches Final Stage
UK AI Safety Institute Calls for Mandatory Security Audits of Advanced AI Models
Scotland Secures Three Billion Pounds for Floating Offshore Wind Hub in Aberdeen
Government Overrides Local Councils to Approve Green Belt Housing Across Southern England
UK and EU Move Toward Mutual Recognition of Food Standards to Ease Cross-Channel Trade
Government Plans Multibillion-Pound Private Healthcare Expansion to Cut NHS Surgical Backlogs
Bank of England Signals Faster Rate Cuts as Inflation Falls Below the Two Percent Target
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
Moderna Shares Surge After Positive Personalized Skin Cancer Trial Results
UK Markets Watch US National Debt Surpass Forty Trillion Dollars
UK Broadcasters Urge Government to Invest in Digital Participation and Broadband
CVC Capital Partners and Standard Life Launch Two Billion Pound Pension Risk Transfer Venture
UK Private Sector Productivity Growth Accelerates in Second Quarter
UK Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband Condemns Israeli E1 Settlement Tender
UK Watchdog Investigates Trainline, Virgin Atlantic and RED Driving School Over Hidden Fees
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Plan Move to Private Home Outside London
UK Retail Sentiment Improves as Summer Spending Boosts Consumer Confidence
UK Aid Cuts Draw Warnings From Charities Over Humanitarian Consequences
UK Financial Conduct Authority Issues Guidance for Motor Finance Redress Scheme
UK Met Office Launches Aviation Programme to Reduce Climate Impact of Persistent Contrails
Former UK Civil Service Chief Received Record 500,000 Pound Severance Payment
West Midlands to Bring Bus Network Under Public Franchising Model
UK Government Drops Plan to Relax Affordable Housing Requirements After Backlash
×