London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Tuesday, Feb 17, 2026

Covid in Scotland: New regulations come into force

Covid in Scotland: New regulations come into force

New legal restrictions on businesses to help control the spread of Covid-19 have taken effect in Scotland.

Firms are now legally required to take measures to minimise transmission amid concerns about the Omicron variant.

Shops and hospitality outlets have to work to reduce crowding and queueing, erect screens and barriers and enforce the wearing of face masks.

Scottish ministers have offered £100m of support to firms, and called on the UK government to provide more funds.

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon warned on Thursday that further restrictions on "high risk" sectors may be unavoidable.

Omicron is expected to be confirmed as the dominant strain of Covid-19 in Scotland on Friday, with Ms Sturgeon saying this would "drive an even more rapid increase in cases".

The first minister said the new variant was spreading "exceptionally fast", warning that health services could be overwhelmed and that "many people will become severely unwell and die".

Scots have been urged to limit social interactions in the build-up to Christmas, meeting with no more than three households at a time, and people have been encouraged to postpone work parties.

This advice has not been backed up in law, as happened earlier in the pandemic, although Ms Sturgeon said people should not view it as being "optional".

However, new curbs have now come into force for business owners and the operators of shops and hospitality venues.

From a minute past midnight on Friday, businesses are required to "have regard to guidance" from the government, and to take "reasonably practicable" measures to minimise the spread of the virus.

These include "measures which limit close face to face interaction and maintain hygiene" by changing the layout of premises and avoiding bottlenecks in entrances and corridors.

Specific guidance for the tourism and hospitality sector has also been published, urging premises to revert to table service where possible, managing queueing areas so that customers can remain at least a metre apart, and to consider introducing one-way systems to "reduce the pressure on pinch points within premises".

Hospitality outlets had voiced concerns about a wave of cancellations after people were urged to defer Christmas party plans, with claims the industry has already taken a £1bn hit.

The Night Time Industries Association warned of "mass business failures and bankruptcies", while TV chef and restaurant owner Nick Nairn said "really strong leadership" was required with people in the industry "starting to come apart at the edges".

'No light at the end of the tunnel'

Business operators across a range of sectors have been hit by recent advice to cancel Christmas parties and restrict social gatherings.

Beautician Alana Forrest, owner of Pink Lily in Aberdeen, said: "December is usually our busiest time of the year but since the advice to cancel Christmas parties we've had an influx of cancellations. This week alone we've had 30 that we know of.

"It has a huge impact on business, particularly for the make-up girls. They rely on people going to occasions. All 15 of the staff here are self-employed, so when there's a whole diary cancelled that's a person's wage for the week and there's nothing being put in place to support people.

"The majority of people are cancelling because they don't need things done for their Christmas parties, but also because people are having to self-isolate.

"It felt like we were almost back to normality and it's now a bit of a kick in the teeth again. There's not been any support put in place and because it's not law - it's just suggestions - they don't have to provide any sort of support for our industry. So many people are suffering again and there's no light at the end of the tunnel."

The Scottish and UK governments have become embroiled in a row over funding for business support, with calls for the furlough scheme to be reintroduced.

The Treasury has provided £220m of immediate funding, but Scottish ministers contend that this had been brought forward from next year and had already been budgeted for.

Scottish Finance Secretary Kate Forbes said the UK government should provide £500m immediately to fund grant support for Scottish businesses.

Speaking to the BBC Radio's Good Morning Scotland programme, Ms Forbes did not say whether the Scottish government wanted to close businesses if it secured UK government money - but said it "could not rule out having to go further on any front".

She said: "We know that we can't go further without additional funding - right now businesses are seeing a reduced amount of trade even though it isn't lockdown, so people voting with their feet because of the message to reduce transmission.

"The argument is even if we were to go any further, we would absolutely need greater financial support."

Ms Sturgeon wrote to Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Thursday saying urgent financial help was needed to protect firms from the "economic shock".

The UK government said Mr Johnson would speak to Ms Sturgeon in the coming days, with a spokesman adding that ministers were "working closely with the Scottish government on the shared challenge the new variant poses".

He added: "We've acted rapidly to support and give the Scottish government the certainty to spend additional money in the coming weeks - exactly as they have asked in our discussions - and we will continue to listen carefully as that co-operation steps up."


Nicola Sturgeon: Omicron is spreading "exceptionally fast" in Scotland


Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
UK Markets Signal Opportunity as Starmer Confronts Intensifying Political Pressure
Trump Criticises Newsom’s UK Climate Pact, Defends Federal Authority Over Foreign Engagements
UK’s Top Prosecutor Says ‘No One Is Above the Law’ as Police Review Claims Against Ex-Prince Andrew
Businessman Adam Brooks weighs in on the reports that the US is set to help Hamit Coskun flee the UK, over free speech concerns
U.S. Attorney General Pam Bondi Releases 3.5 Million Pages of Jeffrey Epstein Case Files
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio Comment on European allies report blaming Russia for killing late Kremlin critic Alexei Navalny using toxin from poison dart frogs
Eighty-Year-Old Lottery Winner Sentenced to 16.5 Years for Drug Trafficking
UK Quran Burner May Receive Asylum in the US Amid Legal Challenges
Rubio Calls for Sweeping U.N. Reform, Saying It Has Failed to End Wars in Gaza and Ukraine
10,000 Condoms Distributed at Winter Olympics 2026 Athlete Village Depleted Within 72 Hours
Poland's President Advocates for Evaluating Independent Nuclear Weapons Development
Prince William Meets Saudi Crown Prince as Epstein-Andrew Fallout Casts Shadow
Starmer Calls for Renewed ‘Hard Power’ Investment at European Security Summit
UK Police Establish National Taskforce to Handle Domestic Epstein-Linked Allegations
UK Court Rules Ban on Palestine Action Unlawful in Major Free Speech Test
UK Faces Prospect of Net Migration Turning Negative as Economic Impact Looms
Mayor of Serdobsk in Russia’s Penza Region Resigns After Housing Certificates Granted to Migrant Family Trigger Public Outcry
Pentagon Reviews Anthropic Partnership After Claude AI Reportedly Used in Operation Targeting Nicolás Maduro
President Donald Trump and Hip-Hop’s Political Realignment: Pardons, Public Endorsements, and the Struggle Over Cultural Influence
China’s EV Makers Face Mandatory Return to Physical Buttons and Door Handles in Driver-Distraction Safety Overhaul
Goldman Sachs and DP World Executive Resignations: Elite-Reputation Risk and Corporate Governance Fallout From the Epstein Disclosures
‘Amelia’: The UK Government’s Anti-Extremism Game Villain Who Became a Protest Symbol
Peter Mandelson Asked to Testify Before US Congress Over Jeffrey Epstein Links
Walmart's Earnings and UK Economic Data Highlight Upcoming Financial Trends
UK Green Party Considering Proposal to Legalize Heroin for an Inclusive Society
SpaceX's New Vision: Lunar City Takes Precedence Over Mars Colonization
OpenAI and DeepCent Superintelligence Race: Artificial General Intelligence and AI Agents as a National Security Arms Race
Document Suggests Prince Andrew Shared UK Briefing on Afghan Investment Opportunities with Jeffrey Epstein
We will protect them from the digital Wild West.’ Another country will ban social media for under-16s
McDonald's Shortens Breakfast Hours in Australia Due to Egg Shortage
Heineken announces cut of 6,000 jobs due to declining beer demand
Beijing Brands UK Hong Kong Visa Expansion ‘Despicable and Reprehensible’ After Jimmy Lai Sentencing
Tesco Chief Warns UK Is ‘Sleepwalking’ Toward a Joblessness Crisis
Trump’s ‘Act of Great Stupidity’ Comment on UK Chagos Deal Reverberates Through Diplomacy and Strategy
New U.S. filings say Jeffrey Epstein repaid Les Wexner one hundred million dollars after theft allegation
Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick acknowledges 2012 visit to Jeffrey Epstein’s private island as lawmakers scrutinise past ties
Helsing and Stark Defence loitering-munition drones and Germany’s race to industrialise battlefield autonomy
UK orders deletion of Courtsdesk court-data archive, reigniting the fight over who controls public justice records
UK Police Review Fresh Claims Involving Prince Andrew as Senior Royals Respond to Epstein Files
Keir Starmer’s Premiership Faces Unprecedented Strain as Epstein Fallout Deepens
Starmer Vows to Stay in Office as UK Government Faces Turmoil After Epstein Fallout
China and UK Signal Tentative Reset with Commitment to Steadier, Professionally Managed Relations
UK Confirms Imminent Increase in ETA Fee to £20 as Entry Rules Tighten
UK Signals Possible Seizure of Russia-Linked ‘Shadow Fleet’ Tanker in Escalation of Sanctions Enforcement
Epstein Scandal Piles Unprecedented Pressure on UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer’s Leadership
UK’s ‘Most Romantic Village’ Celebrates Valentine’s Day and Explores the Festival’s Rich History
The Implications of Expanding Voting Rights to Non-EU Foreign Residents in France
Ghislaine Maxwell to Testify Before US Congress on February 9
Al.com Acquired by Crypto.com Founder for $70 Million
Apple iPhone Lockdown Mode blocks FBI data access in journalist device seizure
×