London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Saturday, Aug 22, 2026

Could Trump start war with China over Scarborough Shoal to win re-election?

Could Trump start war with China over Scarborough Shoal to win re-election?

A Chinese military adviser has claimed the United States could launch an attack on disputed Chinese-controlled reefs in the South China Sea to boost Donald Trump’s prospects of winning re-election as US president.

Observers said they were concerned about accidental clashes as Beijing and Washington increasingly confront each other – but although a US offensive could spark a drastic escalation into all-out war, they viewed the possibility of it happening as low, especially without the Philippines’ agreement.

Wang Yunfei, a retired Chinese naval officer, recently wrote in a column on a military website that Trump, trailing in polls ahead of November 3’s US election, could start a “controllable” military conflict with China in the disputed South China Sea to boost his approval rating.

Among the sea’s many disputed features, the most likely target of a sudden US attack would be Scarborough Shoal, Wang argued


Washington’s hardened position on Beijing’s claims in South China Sea heightens US-China tensions



The shoal, 120 nautical miles west of Luzon, the largest island in the Philippines, is contested by Manila and Beijing. It used to be a shooting range for the US military when it was stationed in the Philippines.

Now it is under Chinese control, but unlike the seven Chinese artificial islands in the disputed Spratly archipelago, there is no human-built structure
on the reef.

Chinese coastguard ships regularly patrol around the shoal or in the lagoon inside it. Since 2016, Filipino fishermen have been able to operate there too under a deal between the two countries.

“There are no troops stationed there, so the consequence of a [US-China] diplomatic conflict is relatively smaller,” Wang wrote. “The American military might also try to humiliate the Chinese in the name of a resumption of their shooting training.”


Philippines threatens war with China over South China Sea



But an attack on the shoal, which is within the 200 nautical miles of the Philippines’ exclusive economic zone, could also represent a slap in the face for Manila unless it gives prior consent, according to Hu Bo, director of think tank South China Sea Strategic Situation Probing Initiative.

“To throw some bombs into an empty lagoon makes no military sense, and it would also upset the Philippines and even other countries in the region,” Hu said. “But if it did happen, it would also open the door to a hot conflict, just like attacking the Chinese artificial islands in the South China Sea would mean a full-on war.”

On Monday, Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte told his country’s military that it would no longer be taking part in joint maritime exercises in the South China Sea with other nations.

“President Duterte’s order to us, to me, is that we should not involve ourselves in naval exercises in the South China Sea except our national waters, within 12 miles of our shores,” Defence Secretary Delfin Lorenzana said.

This appeared to rule out the possibility of the Philippines – alone or jointly with the Americans – using force near Scarborough Shoal, which does not generate 12 nautical miles of territorial sea in its own right. The country has previously taken part in a number of joint exercises in the region.

“This policy is to avoid further irritating Beijing, given that US military activities in the South China Sea have practically protected the interests of the Philippines, an American ally by treaty,” said Zhang Mingliang, a specialist in South China Sea studies at Jinan University in Guangzhou, southern China.

“China is already under pressure from the United States, so other Asean claimants of South China Sea features are being extremely careful
with their words and actions, so as not to explicitly choose a side.”

Technically, the Philippines’ attitude has also greatly reduced the chance of the US attacking Scarborough Shoal, Zhang added.

The US state department has recently denounced China’s claims in the South China Sea as “unlawful”, and the American navy and air force have been conducting exercises and reconnaissance with unprecedented frequency and intensity, raising suspicions over whether they are preparing for a sudden attack on Chinese-controlled islands and reefs.

“Trump does have the political motive to create a crisis to divert his troubles at home. But militarywise a conflict with China is too risky to manage,” said Wu Xinbo, director of Fudan University’s Centre for American Studies.

Nonetheless, an increase in encounters between US and Chinese warships and planes may lead to some accidents, which could escalate rapidly given current tensions, Hu said.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
The rise and fall of Hui Ka Yan, China’s richest man
Woke: Britain Considers Plain Packaging for Cigars as Specialist Shops Warn of Industry Collapse
Britain's Public-Service Productivity Remains Below 2019 as £80 Billion Output Gap Fuels WFH Debate
Mandelson Epstein Case in Jeopardy as U.S. Files Stay Out of Reach
Prince Harry and Six Others Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million After High Court Defeat
Petrol Bombs Set Luxury Cars Alight Outside Birmingham Wedding as Police Hunt Three Men
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Prince Harry and Co-Claimants Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million Toward Daily Mail Publisher’s Legal Costs
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Reportedly Plan Return to Britain With Their Children
UK Court Ruling Threatens Deportation Plans for Potential Trafficking Victims to Albania
Kemi Badenoch Presses UK Government for Decisions on Rosebank and Jackdaw Oil Fields
UK Foreign Affairs Committee Chair Calls for Ban on Goods from Occupied West Bank
Andy Burnham Government to Place Civil Servants Directly in English Mayoral Offices
Met Office Warns Major El Niño Could Bring Stormier, Wetter Autumn to UK
UK Economy Gains Unexpected Momentum Ahead of Andy Burnham Government’s First Budget
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Royal Navy to Accelerate DragonFire Laser Deployment Against Growing Drone Threat
Northern Ireland Approves Five Hundred Million Pound Belfast Harbour Expansion
Great British Railways Takes Full Control of Avanti West Coast as Rail Nationalisation Reaches Final Stage
UK AI Safety Institute Calls for Mandatory Security Audits of Advanced AI Models
Scotland Secures Three Billion Pounds for Floating Offshore Wind Hub in Aberdeen
Government Overrides Local Councils to Approve Green Belt Housing Across Southern England
UK and EU Move Toward Mutual Recognition of Food Standards to Ease Cross-Channel Trade
Government Plans Multibillion-Pound Private Healthcare Expansion to Cut NHS Surgical Backlogs
Bank of England Signals Faster Rate Cuts as Inflation Falls Below the Two Percent Target
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
Moderna Shares Surge After Positive Personalized Skin Cancer Trial Results
UK Markets Watch US National Debt Surpass Forty Trillion Dollars
UK Broadcasters Urge Government to Invest in Digital Participation and Broadband
CVC Capital Partners and Standard Life Launch Two Billion Pound Pension Risk Transfer Venture
UK Private Sector Productivity Growth Accelerates in Second Quarter
UK Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband Condemns Israeli E1 Settlement Tender
UK Watchdog Investigates Trainline, Virgin Atlantic and RED Driving School Over Hidden Fees
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Plan Move to Private Home Outside London
UK Retail Sentiment Improves as Summer Spending Boosts Consumer Confidence
UK Aid Cuts Draw Warnings From Charities Over Humanitarian Consequences
UK Financial Conduct Authority Issues Guidance for Motor Finance Redress Scheme
UK Met Office Launches Aviation Programme to Reduce Climate Impact of Persistent Contrails
Former UK Civil Service Chief Received Record 500,000 Pound Severance Payment
West Midlands to Bring Bus Network Under Public Franchising Model
UK Government Drops Plan to Relax Affordable Housing Requirements After Backlash
×