London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Saturday, Nov 29, 2025

Contaminated blood inquiry: Matt Hancock to give evidence

Contaminated blood inquiry: Matt Hancock to give evidence

The health secretary will face questions about compensation for victims of the contaminated blood scandal on Friday afternoon.

Matt Hancock will give evidence at a public inquiry into what's been called the worst NHS treatment disaster.

Around 3,000 people have died after being given blood containing HIV and hepatitis C in the 1970s and 1980s.

The government said a new study would set out options for a "fair and effective" compensation scheme.

Ministers announced a public inquiry into the scandal in 2017 after decades of campaigning by victims and their families.

Nearly 5,000 people with the blood disorder haemophilia were infected with potentially fatal viruses after being given a clotting agent called Factor VIII.

Much of the drug was imported from the US, where prisoners and other at-risk groups were often paid to donate the plasma used to make it.

Victims included dozens of young haemophiliacs at a boarding school in Hampshire who died after contracting HIV as a result.

Tens of thousands more victims may have been exposed to viral hepatitis through blood transfusions after an operation or childbirth.

"This is the first time a serving [UK] cabinet minister will have given evidence in front of victims and their families," said Su Gorman, whose husband Steve Dymond died aged 62 in December 2018 of organ failure linked to hepatitis C.

"It should be a time to express regret, address the damage that had been done and acknowledge the government had a responsibility to care for vulnerable patients."

The health ministers of Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland have also given evidence to the inquiry this week.

Compensation questions


Families of victims of the scandal have long fought for annual support payments to be increased and full compensation to be paid.

In March ministers said that families in England who lost relatives as a result of the scandal will receive the same support payments as those in other parts of the UK.

Treasury minister Penny Mordaunt said bereaved partners would automatically get a £10,000 lump sum.

But campaigners say some families have been excluded from the scheme, including children who lost parents to HIV at the time.

The UK government has already conceded that full compensation could be paid in the future, depending on the outcome of the inquiry.

That is likely to pave the way for much larger payments covering lifetime loss of earnings and ongoing care costs.

In evidence this week the inquiry was told about a letter sent last September by Ms Mordaunt to Rishi Sunak, the chancellor, saying it is "inevitable" that the government would need to provide substantial compensation.

"The costs are likely to be high, and I firmly believe that we should begin preparing for this now - before the inquiry reports," the letter said.

The government has now appointed the retired barrister Sir Robert Francis to carry out a study looking at different options for compensation, and to report back with recommendations, before the inquiry publishes its conclusions.

A book of remembrance for haemophiliacs who died in the contaminated blood scandal is displayed at St Botolph's Church in the City of London

But campaigners have been calling for the health secretary to go further and make a firm commitment to full compensation in his evidence to the inquiry.

"Matt Hancock has the opportunity to do the right thing and give the community of survivors the commitment to substantial compensation that they have always deserved," said Ian Green, the chief executive of the Terrence Higgins Trust.

"There are too many wives without husbands, children without parents and parents without children because of the catastrophic impact that contaminated blood products still have years after they stopped being used."

The public inquiry, led by Sir Brian Langstaff, has been examining the circumstances surrounded the contaminated blood scandal since 2018.

Hundreds of people who were infected with HIV and hepatitis C or their family members have already given evidence, with hearings held at sites across the UK.

The inquiry is examining how and why the infections occurred, what was known at the time about the risks of the treatments, and whether patients were given sufficient warnings about the dangers involved.

Evidence hearings are scheduled to continue into next year with a final report likely to be published in 2022 or 2023.


"Steve's dying words were he wanted them to repent. I promised him they would"

Video statements were played at the start of the public inquiry in September 2018


Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
250 Still Missing in the Massive Fire, 94 Killed. One Day After the Disaster: Survivor Rescued on the 16th Floor
Trump: National Guard Soldier Who Was Shot in Washington Has Died; Second Soldier Fighting for His Life
UK Chancellor Reeves Defends Tax Rises as Essential to Reduce Child Poverty and Stabilise Public Finances
No Evidence Found for Claim That UK Schools Are Shifting to Teaching American English
European Powers Urge Israel to Halt West Bank Settler Violence Amid Surge in Attacks
"I Would Have Given Her a Kidney": She Lent Bezos’s Ex-Wife $1,000 — and Received Millions in Return
European States Approve First-ever Military-Grade Surveillance Network via ESA
UK to Slash Key Pension Tax Perk, Targeting High Earners Under New Budget
UK Government Announces £150 Annual Cut to Household Energy Bills Through Levy Reforms
UK Court Hears Challenge to Ban on Palestine Action as Critics Decry Heavy-Handed Measures
Investors Rush Into UK Gilts and Sterling After Budget Eases Fiscal Concerns
UK to Raise Online Betting Taxes by £1.1 Billion Under New Budget — Firms Warn of Fallout
Lamine Yamal? The ‘Heir to Messi’ Lost to Barcelona — and the Kingdom Is in a Frenzy
Warner Music Group Drops Suit Against Suno, Launches Licensed AI-Music Deal
HP to Cut up to 6,000 Jobs Globally as It Ramps Up AI Integration
MediaWorld Sold iPad Air for €15 — Then Asked Customers to Return Them or Pay More
UK Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer Promises ‘Full-Time’ Education for All Children as School Attendance Slips
UK Extends Sugar Tax to Sweetened Milkshakes and Lattes in 2028 Health Push
UK Government Backs £49 Billion Plan for Heathrow Third Runway and Expansion
UK Gambling Firms Report £1bn Surge in Annual Profits as Pressure Mounts for Higher Betting Taxes
UK Shares Advance Ahead of Budget as Financials and Consumer Staples Lead Gains
Domino’s UK CEO Andrew Rennie Steps Down Amid Strategic Reset
UK Economy Stalls as Reeves Faces First Budget Test
UK Economy’s Weak Start Adds Pressure on Prime Minister Starmer
UK Government Acknowledges Billionaire Exodus Amid Tax Rise Concerns
UK Budget 2025: Markets Brace as Chancellor Faces Fiscal Tightrope
UK Unveils Strategic Plan to Secure Critical Mineral Supply Chains
UK Taskforce Calls for Radical Reset of Nuclear Regulation to Cut Costs and Accelerate Build
UK Government Launches Consultation on Major Overhaul of Settlement Rules
Google Struggles to Meet AI Demand as Infrastructure, Energy and Supply-Chain Gaps Deepen
Car Parts Leader Warns Europe Faces Heavy Job Losses in ‘Darwinian’ Auto Shake-Out
Arsenal Move Six Points Clear After Eze’s Historic Hat-Trick in Derby Rout
Wealthy New Yorkers Weigh Second Homes as the ‘Mamdani Effect’ Ripples Through Luxury Markets
Families Accuse OpenAI of Enabling ‘AI-Driven Delusions’ After Multiple Suicides
UK Unveils Critical-Minerals Strategy to Break China Supply-Chain Grip
Taylor Swift’s “The Fate of Ophelia” Extends U.K. No. 1 Run to Five Weeks
UK VPN Sign-Ups Surge by Over 1,400 % as Age-Verification Law Takes Effect
Former MEP Nathan Gill Jailed for Over Ten Years After Taking Pro-Russia Bribes
Majority of UK Entrepreneurs Regard Government as ‘Anti-Business’, Survey Shows
UK’s Starmer and US President Trump Align as Geneva Talks Probe Ukraine Peace Plan
UK Prime Minister Signals Former Prince Andrew Should Testify to US Epstein Inquiry
Royal Navy Deploys HMS Severn to Shadow Russian Corvette and Tanker Off UK Coast
China’s Wedding Boom: Nightclubs, Mountains and a Demographic Reset
Fugees Founding Member Pras Michel Sentenced to 14 Years in High-Profile US Foreign Influence Case
WhatsApp’s Unexpected Rise Reshapes American Messaging Habits
United States: Judge Dressed Up as Elvis During Hearings – and Was Forced to Resign
Johnson Blasts ‘Incoherent’ Covid Inquiry Findings Amid Report’s Harsh Critique of His Government
Lord Rothermere Secures £500 Million Deal to Acquire Telegraph Titles
Maduro Tightens Security Measures as U.S. Strike Threat Intensifies
U.S. Envoys Deliver Ultimatum to Ukraine: Sign Peace Deal by Thursday or Risk Losing American Support
×