London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Sunday, Feb 22, 2026

China refuses to renew press cards for US journalists as media row deepens

China refuses to renew press cards for US journalists as media row deepens

Wall Street Journal, CNN, Bloomberg and Getty Images staff told curbs in response to US measures against Chinese media
Chinese authorities have refused to renew the press credentials for at least five reporters for US news organisations based in China, in the latest deterioration of ties between the two countries.

Journalists from the Wall Street Journal, CNN, Bloomberg and Getty Images who recently attempted to renew their press cards were told they could not because of US measures against Chinese journalists in the US, according to statements and people familiar with the matter.

Instead the journalists were issued letters that gave them temporary permission to work using their expired press credentials, which are usually valid for one year. Officials indicated that the future of their press cards would depend on whether the White House allows Chinese journalists to continue working in the US.

The Foreign Correspondents’ Club of China said it was “very alarmed” and that it expected more foreign journalists based in China to receive these letters. The organisation said permission could be revoked at any time, putting the journalists at “constant threat of expulsion”.

“The Chinese government has explicitly said the move comes in response to a looming visa expiry deadline of 6 November for Chinese journalists based in the US, most of whom work for Chinese state media,” it said in a statement on Monday. “These coercive practices have again turned accredited foreign journalists in China into pawns in a wider diplomatic conflict.”

CNN said its Beijing-based correspondent, David Culver, an American citizen, was told by Chinese officials that the restriction was a “reciprocal measure” after US decisions to limit visas by Chinese journalists in the US.

“However, our presence on the ground in China remains unchanged and we are continuing to work with local authorities to ensure that continues,” CNN said in a statement.

The Wall Street Journal reported that Jeremy Page, a British reporter in its Beijing bureau was also affected by the restrictions. Both CNN and the Wall Street Journal said their reporters were told that their visas, which depend on the validity of a press card, would be renewed but shortened to two months. Getty Images declined to comment on the issue.

Chinese foreign ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying posted on Twitter that the visa extension applications were “being processed”. China “would be glad to continue our excellent cooperation with the U.S. journalists here if Chinese journalists are treated fairly in the US,” she wrote.

At a regular press briefing in Beijing, spokesman Zhao Lijian said China had notified the US side of the status of the reporters’ applications and that their work and lives in China “would not be affected”.

China and the US have for months been locked in tit-for-tat retaliation over the treatment of journalists in both countries. In the first half of this year China expelled 17 journalists, many of them from the US, after the Trump administration labelled Chinese state media operating in the US as foreign missions.

In May, in response to the suppression of US journalists in China, the Trump administration limited the length of time that Chinese reporters could remain in the US to three months, with the possibility of renewal. Those visas were reportedly due to expire in November – around the same time the recently affected CNN and Wall Street Journalist journalists visas will end if they are not renewed.

Since then, reporting conditions in China have worsened further with foreign correspondents blocked from conducting interviews and followed by security agents. Some academics have said that they must go through a special approval process to speak to foreign media.

Earlier this month, a reporter for the Los Angeles Times reporting on protests in Inner Mongolia was grabbed by the throat and pushed into a cell at a police station where she was detained for four hours.

Hua Chunying, the Chinese foreign ministry spokeswoman, said on Thursday that the “media issue” between the US and China was one born out of a “cold war mentality”.

“If the US keeps moving down the wrong path, China has no choice but to take justifiable and necessary countermeasures to firmly uphold its legitimate rights,” she said.
Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
UK Government Weighs Removing Prince Andrew from Line of Succession After Arrest
Prince Andrew’s Arrest in UK Rekindles Scrutiny Over US Handling of Epstein Records
Trump’s Strategic Warning to UK Over Chagos Islands Deal Sparks Diplomatic Whiplash
Starmer Government Postpones Local Elections Affecting 4.5 Million Voters
UK Economy Remains Fragile Despite Recent Upturn in Headline Indicators
UK Businesses Face Fresh Uncertainty Following US Tariff Ruling
Reform UK’s Senior Figures Face Scrutiny Over Remarks on Women and Family Policy
UK Electric Vehicle Drive Threatened by Shortage of 44,000 Qualified Technicians
University of Kentucky Trustees Advance Academic Reforms and Approve Coliseum Plaza Purchase
Boris Johnson Calls for Immediate Deployment of UK Troops to Support Ukraine
OpenAI CEO Sam Altman praises the rapid progress of Chinese tech companies.
North Korea's capital experiences a significant construction boom with the development of a new city district dubbed 'Pyonghattan'.
New electric vehicle charging service eliminates waiting times
Vox Populi confronts Justin Trudeau at Davos over vaccination policies
Poland's President Karol Nawrocki ENDS support for Ukrainian citizens:
The mayor of Rotherham in Britain
One day after ex-Prince Andrew's arrest, British police are searching his former home, while U.K. lawmakers will consider introducing legislation to remove him from the line of royal succession
Vandana Shiva reminding the world that Bill Gates did not invent anything.
Italy's PM Giorgia Meloni highlights record employment and economic growth
UK Confirms Preferential U.S. Trading Terms Will Continue After Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
U.S. and U.K. to Hold Talks on Diego Garcia as Iran Objects to Potential Military Use
UK Officials Weigh Possible Changes to Prince Andrew’s Position in Line of Succession Amid Ongoing Scrutiny
British Police Probe Epstein’s UK Airport Links and Expand High-Profile Inquiries
The Impact of U.S. Sanctions on Cuba's Humanitarian Crisis: A Tightening Noose
Trump Directs Government to Release UFO and Alien Information
Trump Signs Global 10% Tariffs on Imports
United Kingdom Denies U.S. Access to Military Base for Potential Iran Strike
British Co-founder of ASOS falls to his death from Pattaya apartment
Early 2026 Data Suggests Tentative Recovery for UK Businesses and Households
UK Introduces Digital-First Passport Rules for Dual Citizens in Border Control Overhaul
Unable to Access Live Financial Data for January UK Surplus Report
UK Government Considers Law to Remove Prince Andrew from Royal Line of Succession
UK ‘Working Closely with US’ to Assess Impact of Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
Trump Criticises UK Decision to Restrict Use of Bases in Potential Iran Strike Scenario
UK Foreign Secretary and U.S. State Chief Hold Strategic Talks as Tensions Rise Over Joint Air Base
Two teens arrested in France for alleged terror plot.
Nordic Fracture: How Criminal Scandals and Toxic Ties are Dismantling the Norwegian Crown
US Supreme Court Voids Trump’s Emergency Tariff Plan, Reshaping Trade Power and Fiscal Risk
King Charles III Opens London Fashion Week as Royal Family Faces Fresh Scrutiny
Trump’s Evolving Stance on UK Chagos Islands Deal Draws Renewed Scrutiny
House Democrat Says Former UK Ambassador Unable to Testify in Congressional Epstein Inquiry
No Record of Prince Andrew Arrest in UK as Claims Circulate Online
UK Has Not Granted US Approval to Launch Iran Strikes from RAF Bases, Government Confirms
AI Pricing Pressure Mounts as Chinese Models Undercut US Rivals and Margin Risks Grow
Global Counsel, Advisory Firm Co-Founded by Lord Mandelson, Enters Administration After Client Exodus
London High Court dispute over Ricardo Salinas’s $400mn Elektra share-backed bitcoin loan
UK Intensifies Efforts to Secure Saudi Investment in Next-Generation Fighter Jet Programme
Former Student Files Civil Claim Against UK Authorities After Rape Charges Against Peers Are Dropped
Archer Aviation Chooses Bristol for New UK Engineering Hub to Drive Electric Air Taxi Expansion
UK Sees Surge in Medical Device Testing as Government Pushes Global Competitiveness
×