London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Sunday, Nov 30, 2025

Campaigners demand built-in-Britain guarantee over £1.5bn naval supply ships

Campaigners demand built-in-Britain guarantee over £1.5bn naval supply ships

EXCLUSIVE: The long-running row over the Fleet Solid Support vessels has taken another twist following a written parliamentary answer from a Defence Minister

Campaigners tonight piled fresh pressure on ministers over a £1.5billion deal for three naval supply ships.

Defence Secretary Ben Wallace ruled last year that the Fleet Solid Support vessels would be warships – meaning the Government could award the bumper contract to a British yard without having to offer it to international rivals.

However, ministers are refusing to say the contract will be a “UK-tender only” – meaning foreign firms could be involved in building British warships.

In a written Parliamentary answer last week, Defence Minister Jeremy Quin signalled overseas companies could benefit from the deal.

“The detailed contract requirements are yet to be published but we would expect substantial UK involvement in any successful bid,” he said.

Defence Secretary Ben Wallace prompted hope last year when he declared the vessels "warships"


“We would encourage interested international partners to work with UK firms to bid”.

The revelation triggered fresh dismay among unions and MPs who believe British workers should benefit from the lucrative order.

Former Defence Minister Kevan Jones, who chairs Parliament's cross-party group on shipbuilding, told the Mirror: “For something as important as warship design and construction, the Government must ensure this is a UK-only tender.

“Encouraging international bidders increases the likelihood of work share and supply chain investment being offshored for this crucial industry.

Former Defence Minister Kevan Jones chairs Westminster's all-party parliamentary group on shipbuilding


“It is time for the Government to support UK shipbuilding and offer yards and supply chains the assurances they need to invest in skills and apprenticeships for the future.”

The 40,000-tonne Royal Fleet Auxiliary vessels will resupply Royal Navy warships, including the £6.2bn Queen Elizabeth-class aircraft carriers, with food, ammunition and explosives.

The competition for the contract was initially offered worldwide, with companies from Italy, Spain, Japan and South Korea shortlisted, along with a UK consortium.

The Fleet Solid Support ships will resupply Royal Navy vessels, including the aircraft carrier HMS Queen Elizabeth, at sea

The vessels will also restock Type 45 destroyers, such as HMS Diamond


The British team, backed by the Keep Britain Afloat campaign, includes Babcock, BAE Systems, Cammell Laird and Rolls-Royce.

The tendering process was halted suddenly in November 2019 – raising hopes the terms could be reset to boost British firms' chances of winning the deal.

The Ministry of Defence triggered fresh dismay last August when foreign firms were invited to take part in early plans to build the vessels.

But in October, Mr Wallace delighted campaigners by designating them as “warships” – meaning they can be built in Britain without allowing overseas firms to bid.

The tender for the contract is expected to be issued this spring.

Confederation of Shipbuilding and Engineering Unions general secretary Ian Waddell accused ministers of “leaving the door open to foreign competition not just for auxiliary ships but for frigates and destroyers too”.

Confederation of Shipbuilding and Engineering Unions general secretary Ian Waddell


He added: “FSS is a vitally important strategic procurement.

“Committing to building these ships in the UK will give shipbuilders the certainty to invest in facilities and the workforce, not just for the FSS but for the replacements for the HMS Bulwark and Albion due at the end of the decade.

“This has the potential to position the UK as a centre for excellence for auxiliary shipbuilding able to successfully compete in a global market.

“This will secure well-paid shipbuilding jobs and our regional economies for a shipbuilding industry which is under constant threat, despite what the Government says.”

Plymouth Sutton and Devonport MP Luke Pollard, the Shadow Environment Secretary, said: "Ships, tanks and planes for our military should be built British by default.

Labour MP Luke Pollard, who represents Plymouth Sutton and Devonport


“I represent Britain's largest dockyard and building the new RFA ships in the UK would not only create more jobs in coastal communities like mine and they would also provide careers' opportunities for young people.

“Labour has been vocal that this contract should not be sent abroad."

A Ministry of Defence spokeswoman said: “The final contract for the manufacture of the Fleet Solid Support ships will be awarded to a UK business, either solely or as part of a consortium.

“We welcome international partners to team with British firms.

“We will seek to maximise UK social value in the programme and recognise the opportunities to strengthen the UK maritime sector.”

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
250 Still Missing in the Massive Fire, 94 Killed. One Day After the Disaster: Survivor Rescued on the 16th Floor
Trump: National Guard Soldier Who Was Shot in Washington Has Died; Second Soldier Fighting for His Life
UK Chancellor Reeves Defends Tax Rises as Essential to Reduce Child Poverty and Stabilise Public Finances
No Evidence Found for Claim That UK Schools Are Shifting to Teaching American English
European Powers Urge Israel to Halt West Bank Settler Violence Amid Surge in Attacks
"I Would Have Given Her a Kidney": She Lent Bezos’s Ex-Wife $1,000 — and Received Millions in Return
European States Approve First-ever Military-Grade Surveillance Network via ESA
UK to Slash Key Pension Tax Perk, Targeting High Earners Under New Budget
UK Government Announces £150 Annual Cut to Household Energy Bills Through Levy Reforms
UK Court Hears Challenge to Ban on Palestine Action as Critics Decry Heavy-Handed Measures
Investors Rush Into UK Gilts and Sterling After Budget Eases Fiscal Concerns
UK to Raise Online Betting Taxes by £1.1 Billion Under New Budget — Firms Warn of Fallout
Lamine Yamal? The ‘Heir to Messi’ Lost to Barcelona — and the Kingdom Is in a Frenzy
Warner Music Group Drops Suit Against Suno, Launches Licensed AI-Music Deal
HP to Cut up to 6,000 Jobs Globally as It Ramps Up AI Integration
MediaWorld Sold iPad Air for €15 — Then Asked Customers to Return Them or Pay More
UK Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer Promises ‘Full-Time’ Education for All Children as School Attendance Slips
UK Extends Sugar Tax to Sweetened Milkshakes and Lattes in 2028 Health Push
UK Government Backs £49 Billion Plan for Heathrow Third Runway and Expansion
UK Gambling Firms Report £1bn Surge in Annual Profits as Pressure Mounts for Higher Betting Taxes
UK Shares Advance Ahead of Budget as Financials and Consumer Staples Lead Gains
Domino’s UK CEO Andrew Rennie Steps Down Amid Strategic Reset
UK Economy Stalls as Reeves Faces First Budget Test
UK Economy’s Weak Start Adds Pressure on Prime Minister Starmer
UK Government Acknowledges Billionaire Exodus Amid Tax Rise Concerns
UK Budget 2025: Markets Brace as Chancellor Faces Fiscal Tightrope
UK Unveils Strategic Plan to Secure Critical Mineral Supply Chains
UK Taskforce Calls for Radical Reset of Nuclear Regulation to Cut Costs and Accelerate Build
UK Government Launches Consultation on Major Overhaul of Settlement Rules
Google Struggles to Meet AI Demand as Infrastructure, Energy and Supply-Chain Gaps Deepen
Car Parts Leader Warns Europe Faces Heavy Job Losses in ‘Darwinian’ Auto Shake-Out
Arsenal Move Six Points Clear After Eze’s Historic Hat-Trick in Derby Rout
Wealthy New Yorkers Weigh Second Homes as the ‘Mamdani Effect’ Ripples Through Luxury Markets
Families Accuse OpenAI of Enabling ‘AI-Driven Delusions’ After Multiple Suicides
UK Unveils Critical-Minerals Strategy to Break China Supply-Chain Grip
Taylor Swift’s “The Fate of Ophelia” Extends U.K. No. 1 Run to Five Weeks
UK VPN Sign-Ups Surge by Over 1,400 % as Age-Verification Law Takes Effect
Former MEP Nathan Gill Jailed for Over Ten Years After Taking Pro-Russia Bribes
Majority of UK Entrepreneurs Regard Government as ‘Anti-Business’, Survey Shows
UK’s Starmer and US President Trump Align as Geneva Talks Probe Ukraine Peace Plan
UK Prime Minister Signals Former Prince Andrew Should Testify to US Epstein Inquiry
Royal Navy Deploys HMS Severn to Shadow Russian Corvette and Tanker Off UK Coast
China’s Wedding Boom: Nightclubs, Mountains and a Demographic Reset
Fugees Founding Member Pras Michel Sentenced to 14 Years in High-Profile US Foreign Influence Case
WhatsApp’s Unexpected Rise Reshapes American Messaging Habits
United States: Judge Dressed Up as Elvis During Hearings – and Was Forced to Resign
Johnson Blasts ‘Incoherent’ Covid Inquiry Findings Amid Report’s Harsh Critique of His Government
Lord Rothermere Secures £500 Million Deal to Acquire Telegraph Titles
Maduro Tightens Security Measures as U.S. Strike Threat Intensifies
U.S. Envoys Deliver Ultimatum to Ukraine: Sign Peace Deal by Thursday or Risk Losing American Support
×