London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Sunday, Feb 22, 2026

Britain to open up housing support for poverty-stricken Hong Kong BN(O) holders

Britain to open up housing support for poverty-stricken Hong Kong BN(O) holders

New regulations allowing some holders of the BN(O) visa in Britain to access housing support take effect on June 29.

London will allow Hongkongers holding the new British National (Overseas) visa to start applying this month for social housing or homelessness assistance if they are suffering extreme poverty after relocating.

The new regulations for accessing housing support – taking effect on June 29 – expand on earlier changes to immigration rules permitting destitute BN(O) holders to apply for access to public funds in Britain through a change in their visa conditions.

New arrivals from Hong Kong with neither jobs nor credit history have reported struggling with renting homes in Britain, where landlords tend to thoroughly screen prospective tenants. Many landlords request those without the right documents to pay between six and 12 months’ rent up front, according to civic organisations in Britain.

In a statement to the Post, the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government said BN(O) holders who successfully had their visa conditions changed would “still need to apply for social housing in the same way as anyone else”.

“They would be placed on a waiting list and the waiting time would depend on their priority and the pressure on social housing in that area,” it said.

Waiting lists for social housing in the country are long, with more than 1 million people in England already in line, according to the British charity Shelter. Some have been waiting years.

Immigration specialist Antonia Grant, of Bowers Law, called the provision “very generous”, and one that was offered to relatively few categories of newcomers.

“It is the UK government cementing that commitment that they have made in terms of opening up this visa route,” said Grant, a Hong Kong and British dual-qualified lawyer.

But she said it was not a blanket opening up of access to public funds, with applications to be determined on a case-by-case basis.

“There will be lots of things that you will have to show to get through that threshold and get that marker removed and get access to public funds,” she said, adding the requirements could include sharing bank statements and a monthly breakdown of income and spending.

Hongkonger Roney Chan, 35, who arrived in London in January, said it was good that the government would start providing assistance to those on BN(O) visas.

Chan, who is slated to begin a one-year patisserie course at Le Cordon Bleu London Culinary School in July, used the money from the sale of his flat in the New Territories to move to Britain, and plans to live off his savings while he studies.

“It doesn’t mean that we can just come here without financial preparation, as the queue for council housing is long and you still have to pay rent,” he said of the rule change. “So having savings is still necessary.”

A 36-year old, surnamed Ho, who got his BN(O) visa last month, welcomed the announcement, and said he “definitely” would apply for the benefits if he lost his job and ran out of money.

“I see it as a good thing. It would be better as a safety net,” he said, although he admitted that he believed the scrutiny would make it difficult to get support.

He arrived in London last September with HK$65,000 (US$8,376) in his bank account and worked as a waiter before landing a job in a real estate agency, earning a monthly salary of HK$17,000. He pays HK$6,300 in rent every month for a room in an East London house owned by a mainland Chinese family.

Under the new BN(O) visa scheme that launched in late January, successful applicants are entitled to live, work and study in Britain for five years, after which they can apply for citizenship. The visa programme was launched on the basis that applicants would not be able to access public funds, including social welfare benefits such as those offering housing and income support.

However, the Home Office announced that BN(O) holders from Hong Kong who came became destitute, or were threatened with destitution, could from April 6 apply for the lifting of a visa condition denying them recourse to public funds. Decisions would be made on a case-by-case basis.

In a new estimate, the British government says the number of people who could apply for the change would be between 2,400 and 15,000 in the first five years.

Britain introduced its plans for a new visa last July in response to Beijing’s imposition of a national security law on Hong Kong.

As many as 5.4 million Hong Kong residents are either BN(O) status holders or their dependents, a legacy of the city’s history as a British colony until 1997.

More than 34,000 Hongkongers had applied for the new pathway to British citizenship, as of the end of March, with 7,200 already approved, according to official figures.

The British government website said applicants could apply for a change of visa conditions if the their financial circumstances had changed since they were given permission to stay in Britain.

According to the government’s website, applicants can apply for a change of conditions if they are “no longer able to provide food or housing for themselves or their family [or] the applicant’s child is at risk because of their very low income”.

In April, the British government launched a £43 million (US$59 million) package to support BN(O) families settling in the country, funding local councils nationwide to help the new arrivals from Hong Kong with housing, education and employment.

Benedict Rogers, chairman and co-founder of Hong Kong Watch, said the assistance was welcome for those looking to build new lives in Britain.

“Many Hongkongers will be able to establish themselves very quickly, but no one wants anyone to end up destitute, so being offered social housing provides a lifeline to those who may need it,” he said.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
UK Government Weighs Removing Prince Andrew from Line of Succession After Arrest
Prince Andrew’s Arrest in UK Rekindles Scrutiny Over US Handling of Epstein Records
Trump’s Strategic Warning to UK Over Chagos Islands Deal Sparks Diplomatic Whiplash
Starmer Government Postpones Local Elections Affecting 4.5 Million Voters
UK Economy Remains Fragile Despite Recent Upturn in Headline Indicators
UK Businesses Face Fresh Uncertainty Following US Tariff Ruling
Reform UK’s Senior Figures Face Scrutiny Over Remarks on Women and Family Policy
UK Electric Vehicle Drive Threatened by Shortage of 44,000 Qualified Technicians
University of Kentucky Trustees Advance Academic Reforms and Approve Coliseum Plaza Purchase
Boris Johnson Calls for Immediate Deployment of UK Troops to Support Ukraine
OpenAI CEO Sam Altman praises the rapid progress of Chinese tech companies.
North Korea's capital experiences a significant construction boom with the development of a new city district dubbed 'Pyonghattan'.
New electric vehicle charging service eliminates waiting times
Vox Populi confronts Justin Trudeau at Davos over vaccination policies
Poland's President Karol Nawrocki ENDS support for Ukrainian citizens:
The mayor of Rotherham in Britain
One day after ex-Prince Andrew's arrest, British police are searching his former home, while U.K. lawmakers will consider introducing legislation to remove him from the line of royal succession
Vandana Shiva reminding the world that Bill Gates did not invent anything.
Italy's PM Giorgia Meloni highlights record employment and economic growth
UK Confirms Preferential U.S. Trading Terms Will Continue After Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
U.S. and U.K. to Hold Talks on Diego Garcia as Iran Objects to Potential Military Use
UK Officials Weigh Possible Changes to Prince Andrew’s Position in Line of Succession Amid Ongoing Scrutiny
British Police Probe Epstein’s UK Airport Links and Expand High-Profile Inquiries
The Impact of U.S. Sanctions on Cuba's Humanitarian Crisis: A Tightening Noose
Trump Directs Government to Release UFO and Alien Information
Trump Signs Global 10% Tariffs on Imports
United Kingdom Denies U.S. Access to Military Base for Potential Iran Strike
British Co-founder of ASOS falls to his death from Pattaya apartment
Early 2026 Data Suggests Tentative Recovery for UK Businesses and Households
UK Introduces Digital-First Passport Rules for Dual Citizens in Border Control Overhaul
Unable to Access Live Financial Data for January UK Surplus Report
UK Government Considers Law to Remove Prince Andrew from Royal Line of Succession
UK ‘Working Closely with US’ to Assess Impact of Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
Trump Criticises UK Decision to Restrict Use of Bases in Potential Iran Strike Scenario
UK Foreign Secretary and U.S. State Chief Hold Strategic Talks as Tensions Rise Over Joint Air Base
Two teens arrested in France for alleged terror plot.
Nordic Fracture: How Criminal Scandals and Toxic Ties are Dismantling the Norwegian Crown
US Supreme Court Voids Trump’s Emergency Tariff Plan, Reshaping Trade Power and Fiscal Risk
King Charles III Opens London Fashion Week as Royal Family Faces Fresh Scrutiny
Trump’s Evolving Stance on UK Chagos Islands Deal Draws Renewed Scrutiny
House Democrat Says Former UK Ambassador Unable to Testify in Congressional Epstein Inquiry
No Record of Prince Andrew Arrest in UK as Claims Circulate Online
UK Has Not Granted US Approval to Launch Iran Strikes from RAF Bases, Government Confirms
AI Pricing Pressure Mounts as Chinese Models Undercut US Rivals and Margin Risks Grow
Global Counsel, Advisory Firm Co-Founded by Lord Mandelson, Enters Administration After Client Exodus
London High Court dispute over Ricardo Salinas’s $400mn Elektra share-backed bitcoin loan
UK Intensifies Efforts to Secure Saudi Investment in Next-Generation Fighter Jet Programme
Former Student Files Civil Claim Against UK Authorities After Rape Charges Against Peers Are Dropped
Archer Aviation Chooses Bristol for New UK Engineering Hub to Drive Electric Air Taxi Expansion
UK Sees Surge in Medical Device Testing as Government Pushes Global Competitiveness
×