London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Sunday, Nov 30, 2025

Ban on gay Hong Kong couple living in subsidised housing ‘discriminatory’: lawyers

Ban on gay Hong Kong couple living in subsidised housing ‘discriminatory’: lawyers

Henry Li lived in fear of eviction from a Home Ownership Scheme flat upon learning the policy since his now-deceased husband, Edgar Ng, bought it for HK$5.45 million in 2018, High Court hears.

Lawyers for a man barred from living with his husband in subsidised housing have described the Hong Kong government’s policy on authorised occupants as “blatantly discriminatory” and said the couple suffered a “very real sense of injustice”.

Henry Li Yik-ho also lived in fear of eviction from a Home Ownership Scheme (HOS) flat upon learning the policy since his now-deceased husband, Edgar Ng Hon-lam, bought it for HK$5.45 million ($US701,781) in 2018, Jin Pao SC told the High Court on Monday.

The application for judicial review is one of three legal challenges mounted by the couple since they tied the knot in London in 2017. Same-sex marriage is generally not recognised in Hong Kong, apart from some very specific policies relating to tax and visas, for example.

The High Court heard the Housing Authority’s policy on adding occupants to an HOS flat only recognised nine categories of familial relationships, which included husband and wife but only in the sense of between a man and woman.

Same-sex marriage is generally not recognised in Hong Kong.


Transferring ownership of the flat to anyone outside the listed categories would incur a financial premium, which in this case would have amounted to more than HK$2 million based on the purchase price.

Pao said such policies were “blatantly discriminatory” on the basis of sexual orientation, and a violation of the equality provisions in the Basic Law, the city’s mini-constitution, as well as the Hong Kong Bill of Rights.

He argued that the differential treatment defeated the policy’s purpose of providing affordable housing to individuals with low to medium income. It also placed an unacceptably harsh burden on a group so small it would take up just about two in every 10,000 people in the city, based on figures from a Chinese University study published in 2018, he argued.

“They lived in fear of eviction in their very own home,” Pao said. “There’s a very real sense of injustice.”

But Abraham Chan SC, for the authority, argued the policies were part of a suite of measures to address Hong Kong’s demographic challenges, as housing was a key factor in a couple’s decision to have families. The policies had opened up homes that would otherwise be unavailable, he said.

Chan further argued the government had chosen to prioritise couples in traditional marriages – as between husband and wife – for their “inherently higher capacity for procreation”.

The High Court in Admiralty.


“The whole landscape would be quite different if there were limitless public resources,” Chan said. “But that’s not this case – what we’re dealing with in the present reality is that they’re not enough to go around, and for quite some time in the future. Someone has to make the decision.”

Pao replied that the authority did not exclude opposite-sex couples who were infertile, while those in same-sex marriages could adopt or seek for artificial insemination.

Mr Justice Anderson Chow Ka-ming has reserved judgment.

The city’s LGBT movement has been advancing its cause through the court in recent years with several victories in cases that required the authorities to recognise same-sex marriage and civil union partnership entered into overseas for the purpose of taxation, civil servants’ spousal benefit and dependant visas.

Ng won an application for a judicial review last year challenging the marriage provisions in local laws governing intestacy and financial provision for dependants. The Department of Justice has since lodged an appeal.

The department is also appealing against another ruling that declared the government’s policy of denying legally married same-sex couples the right to apply for public housing as unlawful and unconstitutional. The case will be heard on July 29.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
250 Still Missing in the Massive Fire, 94 Killed. One Day After the Disaster: Survivor Rescued on the 16th Floor
Trump: National Guard Soldier Who Was Shot in Washington Has Died; Second Soldier Fighting for His Life
UK Chancellor Reeves Defends Tax Rises as Essential to Reduce Child Poverty and Stabilise Public Finances
No Evidence Found for Claim That UK Schools Are Shifting to Teaching American English
European Powers Urge Israel to Halt West Bank Settler Violence Amid Surge in Attacks
"I Would Have Given Her a Kidney": She Lent Bezos’s Ex-Wife $1,000 — and Received Millions in Return
European States Approve First-ever Military-Grade Surveillance Network via ESA
UK to Slash Key Pension Tax Perk, Targeting High Earners Under New Budget
UK Government Announces £150 Annual Cut to Household Energy Bills Through Levy Reforms
UK Court Hears Challenge to Ban on Palestine Action as Critics Decry Heavy-Handed Measures
Investors Rush Into UK Gilts and Sterling After Budget Eases Fiscal Concerns
UK to Raise Online Betting Taxes by £1.1 Billion Under New Budget — Firms Warn of Fallout
Lamine Yamal? The ‘Heir to Messi’ Lost to Barcelona — and the Kingdom Is in a Frenzy
Warner Music Group Drops Suit Against Suno, Launches Licensed AI-Music Deal
HP to Cut up to 6,000 Jobs Globally as It Ramps Up AI Integration
MediaWorld Sold iPad Air for €15 — Then Asked Customers to Return Them or Pay More
UK Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer Promises ‘Full-Time’ Education for All Children as School Attendance Slips
UK Extends Sugar Tax to Sweetened Milkshakes and Lattes in 2028 Health Push
UK Government Backs £49 Billion Plan for Heathrow Third Runway and Expansion
UK Gambling Firms Report £1bn Surge in Annual Profits as Pressure Mounts for Higher Betting Taxes
UK Shares Advance Ahead of Budget as Financials and Consumer Staples Lead Gains
Domino’s UK CEO Andrew Rennie Steps Down Amid Strategic Reset
UK Economy Stalls as Reeves Faces First Budget Test
UK Economy’s Weak Start Adds Pressure on Prime Minister Starmer
UK Government Acknowledges Billionaire Exodus Amid Tax Rise Concerns
UK Budget 2025: Markets Brace as Chancellor Faces Fiscal Tightrope
UK Unveils Strategic Plan to Secure Critical Mineral Supply Chains
UK Taskforce Calls for Radical Reset of Nuclear Regulation to Cut Costs and Accelerate Build
UK Government Launches Consultation on Major Overhaul of Settlement Rules
Google Struggles to Meet AI Demand as Infrastructure, Energy and Supply-Chain Gaps Deepen
Car Parts Leader Warns Europe Faces Heavy Job Losses in ‘Darwinian’ Auto Shake-Out
Arsenal Move Six Points Clear After Eze’s Historic Hat-Trick in Derby Rout
Wealthy New Yorkers Weigh Second Homes as the ‘Mamdani Effect’ Ripples Through Luxury Markets
Families Accuse OpenAI of Enabling ‘AI-Driven Delusions’ After Multiple Suicides
UK Unveils Critical-Minerals Strategy to Break China Supply-Chain Grip
Taylor Swift’s “The Fate of Ophelia” Extends U.K. No. 1 Run to Five Weeks
UK VPN Sign-Ups Surge by Over 1,400 % as Age-Verification Law Takes Effect
Former MEP Nathan Gill Jailed for Over Ten Years After Taking Pro-Russia Bribes
Majority of UK Entrepreneurs Regard Government as ‘Anti-Business’, Survey Shows
UK’s Starmer and US President Trump Align as Geneva Talks Probe Ukraine Peace Plan
UK Prime Minister Signals Former Prince Andrew Should Testify to US Epstein Inquiry
Royal Navy Deploys HMS Severn to Shadow Russian Corvette and Tanker Off UK Coast
China’s Wedding Boom: Nightclubs, Mountains and a Demographic Reset
Fugees Founding Member Pras Michel Sentenced to 14 Years in High-Profile US Foreign Influence Case
WhatsApp’s Unexpected Rise Reshapes American Messaging Habits
United States: Judge Dressed Up as Elvis During Hearings – and Was Forced to Resign
Johnson Blasts ‘Incoherent’ Covid Inquiry Findings Amid Report’s Harsh Critique of His Government
Lord Rothermere Secures £500 Million Deal to Acquire Telegraph Titles
Maduro Tightens Security Measures as U.S. Strike Threat Intensifies
U.S. Envoys Deliver Ultimatum to Ukraine: Sign Peace Deal by Thursday or Risk Losing American Support
×