London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Sunday, Aug 23, 2026

Afghanistan evacuations: 'Hours not weeks' for final UK flights

Afghanistan evacuations: 'Hours not weeks' for final UK flights

The UK has "hours now, not weeks" to evacuate people from Afghanistan, the defence secretary has said.

Ben Wallace said troops would leave Kabul's airport when the US withdrew, which is due to happen on 31 August.

At an emergency meeting of G7 world leaders on Tuesday, Prime Minister Boris Johnson will ask US President Joe Biden for an extension of that deadline in order to allow more flights.

But a spokesman for the Taliban said it would not support a deadline extension.

Suhail Shaheen said an extension would mean extending Afghanistan's occupation, and warned of consequences if that were to change.

Thousands of people are waiting to board flights at Kabul's international airport, just over a week after the Taliban seized the capital.

The BBC's chief international correspondent Lyse Doucet says she is receiving "desperate calls for help" on her phone "hour-by-hour and sometimes minute-by-minute" from those who know the window to get out is closing.

"Please my life is in danger. Please can you get me on a flight," says one. Another reads: "Please I can't get to the airport, can you get me inside?"

The Ministry of Defence said 7,109 individuals had been evacuated from Afghanistan on UK flights since 13 August.

The Taliban's swift takeover of Afghanistan shocked its people and the world. It happened after foreign forces announced their withdrawal following a deal between the US and the Taliban, two decades after American-led forces removed the militants from power in 2001.

Mr Wallace said: "I don't think there is any likelihood of staying on after the United States.

"We are really down to hours now, not weeks. We have to make sure we exploit every minute to get people out."

Downing Street said on Monday evening that the prime minister had spoken to Mr Biden, before Tuesday's G7 summit, saying they had "committed to driving international action" to "stabilise the situation".

They also agreed to continue working together to ensure that people eligible to leave can do so "including after the initial phase of the evacuation has ended".

Earlier, No 10 said the UK would continue its evacuation process "as long as the security situation allows".

The prime minister's official spokesman said "discussions on the ground" had been held with the Taliban over extending the deadline, but officials were still working towards 31 August.

And a Pentagon spokesman said the US's focus was "on getting this done by the end of the month".

If commanders on the ground said an extension was needed it would be passed to President Biden, said spokesman John Kirby, but he added: "We just aren't there right now."

'My heart bleeds for those left behind'

Lloyd Comer, 60, served in the Army for 35 years but has worked in the private sector in Kabul since 2013.

He was told the Taliban was approaching his area, and contacted the Foreign Office, but he was told to stay put.

Mr Comer disregarded the advice - deciding to make a journey to the airport and choosing to forego an armoured vehicle, which he thought might become a target.

He told BBC Radio 4's Today programme he dressed in Afghan style to disguise himself before being driven in the back of a white Toyota Corolla through Taliban checkpoints to Kabul airport.

He said those driving him "bundled me out through the crowds with my equipment and got me inside the gates of the Baron Hotel which is the secure site".

He is now back home in Nottingham after leaving Kabul via the United Arab Emirates and a charter flight to Birmingham.

"The Foreign Office called me an hour ago to ask me if I was still in Kabul," he said. "It was emotional, I'm home, I'm safe."

"My heart bleeds for those people we've left behind," he added. "The guilt that you feel for leaving your friends and those loyal staff when they probably needed me most is overwhelming."

Other US allies including France, Germany and Italy have also said they need more time beyond the 31 August deadline.

Armed forces minister James Heappey said about 1,800 "eligible people" or UK passport holders remained in Afghanistan - as well as 2,275 Afghans who can be resettled having worked for the UK government, and a further list of people from "wider Afghan civil society who we would like to get out if we're able".

He said airport checks were necessary for UK security and said there were "people right now in Kabul trying to get onto British flights that we have identified in our checks as being on the UK no-fly list".

Mr Heappey said there was a "hard reality that we won't be able to get out everybody that we want to".

But he said the airlift was not the only route out of Afghanistan, adding there was a "second phase" to the resettlement programme planned for when the UK fully withdraws from Kabul.

Under the second phase, Afghans will be able to have resettlement claims processed at refugee camps or UK embassies in countries neighbouring Afghanistan.


Behind the scenes Britain has been pushing the US for an extension of the Kabul airlift.

Not for long - just a few days. That short time would allow evacuation flights to continue for most of this week, while giving the military a few extra days next week to pack up and leave.

Military planners in the Ministry of Defence estimate they need between 24 and 36 hours to fold up the operation and get every soldier out.

Hopes of an extension still appear slim - not least because of the Taliban.

Some have asked why the UK and allies could not stay longer without the US? But the US is providing the bulk of the troops to keep the airport secure. It's also essentially running the airport - including air traffic control.

The US is also providing intelligence and surveillance for the operation. Replacing these elements would take significant time and resources. Without US military power, there'd also be an increased risk for those left behind.

Staying in Afghanistan without the US was never really an option for the British. Nor is it at Kabul airport.

Mr Heappey added that the Taliban had been an "effective partner" in the evacuation - but the UK was "taking nothing for granted" with the militants.

Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer has written to the prime minister calling for more information on how the UK is planning for the mission's next stages.

Sir Keir asked Mr Johnson whether he had spoken to Mr Biden to request an extension to the evacuation period and whether the UK was working on a contingency plan with Nato allies to "hold Kabul airport without US troops".

The Foreign Office said it had sent five additional members of staff to Kabul to help with the evacuation, bringing the total number of its staff there to 19.


Armed forces minister James Heappey says British soldiers in Afghanistan are facing "extraordinary circumstances" at Kabul airport.


Ben Wallace on remaining Afghan airlifts: "We are down now to hours now, not weeks"


Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
Iranian Hackers Shut Down British Power Plant for Four Days in Landmark Cyber Attack
Novak Djokovic Reveals Relentless Self-Doubt and Rejects Retirement in New Documentary
Trump Imposes 50% Tariffs on Canadian Goods After Bilateral Trade Talks Collapse
Australia Combines Indigenous Fire Knowledge With Satellite Tech to Combat Catastrophic Wildfires
Father and Son Jailed in Scotland Over £900,000 Airport Cannabis Smuggling Operation
UK Fraud Reports Surge Sevenfold as Criminals Exploit QR Codes in Parking Meters and Phishing Emails
Brighton Thrash Aston Villa in Four-Goal Opening Half as Manchester City Trail Bournemouth
Erin Patterson Appeals Triple Murder Convictions After Hotel Mixed Sequestered Jury With Prosecution
Bank of England Maintains Close Watch on Banks Amid Global Economic Uncertainty
Warm Weather and Tourism Support UK High Street Spending During Summer
Westminster Faces Continuing Political and Administrative Fallout From Epstein Files Release
UK Invests in Domestic Defence Drone Manufacturing to Strengthen Military Supply Chains
Around Five Million UK Households Face Higher Mortgage Payments by 2028
Bluetongue Virus Cases Rise Across England, Wales and Scotland
UK Government Holds First National Day for Victims and Survivors of Terrorism
Historic Summer Droughts Threaten UK Harvests and Put Further Pressure on Food Prices
UK Economy Holds Up in Second Quarter Despite Global Energy and Geopolitical Pressures
UK Opens National Artificial Intelligence Safety Testing Facility
UK Government Finalizes Plans to Bring Remaining Regional Rail Services Into Public Ownership
Environment Agency Imposes Record Penalties on Water Companies Over Illegal Sewage Discharges
Great British Energy Announces Offshore Wind Partnership in North Sea
UK Government Tightens Planning Rules to Accelerate Housing Development
NHS Launches Digital Overhaul to Cut Elective Care Waiting Lists
Bank of England Signals Interest Rates May Stay Higher for Longer as Inflation Pressures Persist
The rise and fall of Hui Ka Yan, China’s richest man
Woke: Britain Considers Plain Packaging for Cigars as Specialist Shops Warn of Industry Collapse
Britain's Public-Service Productivity Remains Below 2019 as £80 Billion Output Gap Fuels WFH Debate
Mandelson Epstein Case in Jeopardy as U.S. Files Stay Out of Reach
Prince Harry and Six Others Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million After High Court Defeat
Bank of England Holds Interest Rate at 3.75% as Inflation and Energy Risks Persist
UK AI Security Tests Find Autonomous Agent Attempting Malicious Code Injection
UK Economy Grows 0.4% in Second Quarter Amid Global Pressures
UK Joins European Allies in Condemning Israeli Settlement Plans in West Bank E1 Area
Multiple People Killed in A66 Collision Near Middlesbrough Involving Police Vehicle
UK Government Holds First National Day for Victims and Survivors of Terrorism
UK Met Office Warns of Severe Autumn Storms as Strong El Niño Follows Historic Drought
Petrol Bombs Set Luxury Cars Alight Outside Birmingham Wedding as Police Hunt Three Men
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Prince Harry and Co-Claimants Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million Toward Daily Mail Publisher’s Legal Costs
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Reportedly Plan Return to Britain With Their Children
UK Court Ruling Threatens Deportation Plans for Potential Trafficking Victims to Albania
Kemi Badenoch Presses UK Government for Decisions on Rosebank and Jackdaw Oil Fields
UK Foreign Affairs Committee Chair Calls for Ban on Goods from Occupied West Bank
Andy Burnham Government to Place Civil Servants Directly in English Mayoral Offices
Met Office Warns Major El Niño Could Bring Stormier, Wetter Autumn to UK
UK Economy Gains Unexpected Momentum Ahead of Andy Burnham Government’s First Budget
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
×