London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Wednesday, Aug 19, 2026

Yorkshire racism hearing terrible look - Vaughan

Yorkshire racism hearing terrible look - Vaughan

Former England captain Michael Vaughan says the disciplinary hearing into allegations of racism at Yorkshire is a "terrible look" for cricket.

Vaughan is accused of saying "there's too many of you lot, we need to have a word about that" to Azeem Rafiq and three other Asian players at Yorkshire before a T20 match in 2009.

Vaughan has "completely and categorically" denied the allegation - and did so again when giving evidence for the first time in the hearing on Friday.

However, the former Yorkshire captain, who retired in 2009, did apologise for "disgusting" historical tweets which were first brought to his attention in a 2021 BBC interview.

Jane Mulcahy KC, the lawyer for the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB), which brought the charges against Vaughan, suggested the "tweets are remarkably similar in tone to the allegation" - which Vaughan denied.

Vaughan, 48, was critical of the two-and-a-half year process and said he met Rafiq in November 2021 because "the whole situation was escalating out of control".

In that meeting Vaughan said he apologised to Rafiq for the hurt the former spinner had experienced at Yorkshire - but did not accept he made the alleged comment.

Vaughan repeated that denial on Friday, saying: "I can't apologise for something I don't recollect saying."

Rafiq said on Thursday that Vaughan's actions after their meeting had left him feeling "naive".

"It's not been easy for anybody," said Vaughan, under cross-examination by Mulcahy.

"This is not the right process to deal with word-against-word comments from 14 years ago.

"Ex-team-mates fighting it out over hearsay is a terrible look for the game and a really bad look on how cricket has dealt with this situation."


Vaughan makes 'Question of Sport' joke during hearing


Before this week's hearings took place, Yorkshire had pleaded guilty to four amended charges from the ECB, which also includes the county accepting they failed to address the "systemic use of racist or discriminatory language" at the club over a prolonged period, including Rafiq's career.

Vaughan's former team-mate, ex-Yorkshire and England bowler Matthew Hoggard has admitted using a racist slur relating to Pakistani heritage and another racist term that is offensive in South Africa while at the club.

Vaughan repeatedly denied having heard such racial slurs while at Yorkshire.

When asked to confirm details about how many years he had played alongside Hoggard for both Yorkshire and England, Vaughan joked: "It's like Question of Sport, this."

The former batter, who started work as a BBC pundit after retiring in 2009, said he had a "very clear mind" about the match in question against Nottinghamshire at Trent Bridge on 22 June 2009.

He said he "knows" he did not make the alleged comment to Rafiq, Adil Rashid, Ajmal Shahzad and Rana Naved-ul-Hasan because he was "proud" of it being the first time four Asian players had been in the same side for Yorkshire and it was a sign of how far the county had come.

England spinner Rashid and former Yorkshire and Pakistan bowler Naved-ul-Hasan have corroborated Rafiq's allegation.

The fourth player in the group, former England bowler Shahzad has said he has no recollection of it happening.

Vaughan agreed that the alleged comment was unacceptable and racist, but insisted he did not say it, in part because it would have affected the morale of his team-mates and possibly their performance.

"I make sure people are loved," added Vaughan.

Vaughan also denied he had said the alleged comment in jest.

When Mulcahy brought up some of the historical tweets sent by Vaughan - some of which include references to foreign call centre workers and the number of English people living in London - he did agree with that they would be offensive to Rafiq.

He said he took part in an online diversity course while working in Australia covering the 2021-22 Ashes because he "wanted to be a leader in the game".


Rafiq accused of playing 'race card'
Azeem Rafiq has given evidence at this week's hearing


Rafiq was accused of having said he was prepared to use the "race card" for personal gain by Matthew Wood, who was his personal development manager with the Professional Cricketers' Association (PCA).

In his witness statement, Wood claimed Rafiq said he would "hit them with the race card" if Yorkshire did not offer him a new contract during a meeting in August 2018.

Wood also alleged Rafiq "used being Asian" to get a place on an ECB coaching course despite missing the deadline.

Mulcahy said Wood did not include the 'race card' claim in his initial interview with the original Yorkshire investigation because "Rafiq didn't play the race card".

Rafiq's witness statement also said Wood's assertion of the coaching course discussion was an "odd thing to claim".

Wood said he did not mention it because "it was such a volatile" situation, but he did subsequently call the law firm to relay the 'race card' points and also told the PCA about the comments.

Mulcahy asked why Wood "went behind" Rafiq's back and suggested that he was "at pains" to support Vaughan in these proceedings "no matter what".

Wood said he disagreed and that he "wasn't on anybody's side".


ECB defends investigation


Among the witnesses called on Friday was Meena Botros, the ECB's director of legal and integrity, who was in charge of the governing body's investigation into the allegations against Yorkshire.

Vaughan's lawyer, Christopher Stoner KC, criticised the ECB's handling of the investigation, questioning why it did not speak to everyone present in and around the Yorkshire team huddle, when Vaughan is alleged to have made the "you lot" comment in 2009.

Stoner asked why the ECB did not speak to the two umpires, the Sky cameraman recording the huddle and some of the other Yorkshire players in the team that day.

Botros said "no-one has suggested the umpires were close enough to hear it" and Sky footage showed they "weren't close to the huddle".

He added there was also "no suggestion" the cameraman heard it, and it was "assumed he would have had headphones on".

Botros said they "weren't able" to get contact details for some players and others either did not want to take part or had made their position "very clear".

He added he was "not aware" of Vaughan's legal team chasing up these lines of inquiry, saying: "If you think it's such an important point then that may have been taken up."

The hearing continues until 9 March.

The panel has yet to hear the ECB's cases against former Yorkshire captain Andrew Gale and ex-bowling coach Richard Pyrah, who have both withdrawn from the process.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
"The First in the World": 69-Year-Old Protested Artificial Intelligence—and Went to Jail
Ukraine's Ousted Defence Minister Calls for Wartime Presidential Election
A Sleepless Night on Wall Street: Nasdaq to Begin Nearly Round-the-Clock Trading
UK Health and Economic Pressures Highlight Wider Strain on Households and Public Finances
UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham Reaffirms Full Support for Ukraine Amid Russian Warnings
Sainsbury’s Suspends Live Facial Recognition at London Store After Customer Misidentified
Artists Urge UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham to Reject New North Sea Oil and Gas Licensing
UK Government Awards Four Hundred and Fifty-Six Million Pound Civil Service Training Contract to EY and KPMG
Global Government Bond Yields Rise as Middle East Conflict Fuels Inflation Concerns
British Housing Market Records Weakest August Since Two Thousand and Eighteen as Asking Prices Fall
UK Announces New Sanctions on Russian Shadow Fleet and Financial Institutions
UK Approves Virgin Rail Group Services Through Channel Tunnel, Challenging Eurostar
UK Government Backs Three Hundred Million Pound AI Investment Zone in North Lanarkshire
UK Declares National Salmonella Outbreak Linked to Imported Eggs
China’s Lifelike AI Humans Move From Livestreams Into Real-World Service Roles
UK Government Rolls Out £5.8 Billion Regional Investment Programme to Revive High Streets
AstraZeneca Ends Late-Stage Lung Cancer Trial After Data Shows No Survival Benefit
London Stocks Fall for Sixth Day as Bond Yields and Middle East Tensions Weigh on Markets
UK Government Rewrites Planning Rules to Accelerate Housing Near Transport Hubs
UK Wildfires Spread Across Southern England as Met Office Issues Severe Heat Warnings
British Doctors Warn Cancer Care Is at Risk as Hospitals Reject More Than a Quarter of Urgent Referrals
UK Hospitals Suspend Critical Care as Extreme Heat Exposes Infrastructure Failures
Sarah Ferguson Reportedly Retreats to Late Ex-Boyfriend's Swiss Chalet
Cristiano Ronaldo and Georgina Rodríguez Sign Prenup Protecting Their Separate Fortunes
Thieves Steal Antonello da Messina Renaissance Masterpieces From Sicilian Museum
Better.com Founder Who Fired 900 Employees on Zoom Is Ousted as CEO
Italian Speed Camera Issues Nearly 32,000 Fines in 10 Weeks, Worth More Than €3 Million
AI Manager at San Francisco Store Recommends Firing Human Employee
Google Launches Pixel 11 With Gemini AI at the Center of Its Hardware Strategy
Campaigners Press Government to Strengthen Rights for Four Million Gig Workers
Government Considers Higher Private Rents to Spread Asylum Accommodation Across UK
UK Moves to Protect Historic Pubs From Conversion Into Housing and Offices
Nigel Farage Wins Clacton By-Election to Return to House of Commons
British Manufacturers Report Rising Cybersecurity Threats Across Industrial Supply Chains
Royal Navy Increases Monitoring of Russian Ships in UK Waters by 25 Percent
England Adds More Than 350 Medical Training Posts to Strengthen NHS Capacity
NHS Waiting Lists Over 52 Weeks Rise by More Than 11,000 Patients
Brent Crude Near $88 Raises Fresh UK Energy Cost Concerns
UK Treasury Warns Prolonged Strait of Hormuz Disruption Could Cut 2027 Growth to 0.3 Percent
UK Economy Grows 0.4 Percent in Second Quarter as Energy and Inflation Risks Persist
UK Heatwave Triggers Emergency Alert as Government Unveils £65 Million Farm Support Package
Reform UK Unveils Plan to Cut Welfare Spending by More Than £50 Billion a Year
Prime Minister Andy Burnham Praised Extinction Rebellion for Doing a 'Great Service'
UK Wildfire Phone Alert Triggers Backlash as Users Switch Off Emergency Warnings
Heathrow Roads Reopen After Burst Water Main Floods Access to Terminals 2 and 3
Former NBA Players Enes Kanter Freedom and Royce White Say They Will Enter 2027 WNBA Draft
Former Cambridge Professor Jason Arday Found Dead Days After Resigning Amid Plagiarism Row
US Appeals Court Rules AI Agent's Website Actions Are Legally Attributed to the User
France's Constitutional Council Blocks Social Media Ban for Children Under 15
Liechtenstein Changes Royal Succession Rules to Allow Women to Inherit the Throne
×