London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Saturday, Feb 21, 2026

World Cup risks knocking out Twitter after staff exodus, industry expert warns

World Cup risks knocking out Twitter after staff exodus, industry expert warns

The international football tournament that gets under way in Qatar this weekend poses a "real test of the resilience and capacity" of the platform, especially during key moments, with the departure of critical workers after Elon Musk's tumultuous takeover.
Twitter has temporarily closed its offices as more staff leave the troubled social media giant, sparking warnings about the site's ability to stay online during the World Cup.

The move by the company to shut its doors until Monday was apparently triggered by fears that departing employees could "sabotage" the firm.

The latest turmoil comes after hundreds of workers are said to have rejected an ultimatum from new owner Elon Musk to sign up for longer, more intense working hours in order to build a new "extremely hardcore" Twitter.

The billionaire tycoon, who scooped up the platform in a $44bn takeover last month, said those who did not sign up would be fired.

The Twitter boss emailed staff on Wednesday asking them to click yes on a form to confirm they would stay at the company under his new rules, with those who did not by Thursday evening given three months' severance pay.

The number of staff choosing to leave appears to have taken Musk and his team by surprise.

The entrepreneur has subsequently backed down over his insistence that everyone be office-based, with his initial rejection of remote working angering many employees.

Musk's email blitz to staff

Musk also softened his earlier tone in another email to employees, writing that "all that is required for approval is that your manager takes responsibility for ensuring you are making an excellent contribution".

He added that workers would be expected to have "in-person meetings with your colleagues on a reasonable cadence, ideally weekly, but not less than once per month".

Since taking over Twitter less than three weeks ago, Musk has cut half of the company's full-time staff of 7,500 and also shed contractors responsible for content moderation and other crucial work.

Many have posted on Twitter to bid farewell to colleagues, while there are reports of hundreds of staff confirming in private message channels that they are leaving.

Twitter teams 'completely decimated'

As a result, concerns have been raised that the platform could struggle to stay online as large numbers of people tasked with its maintenance leave the company and that any issues that arise could take longer to fix without key engineers in place to deal with problems.

#RIPTwitter and #GoodbyeTwitter have been trending on the platform as users also consider leaving the site, and some have begun pointing followers to their accounts on other platforms.

The Tesla and SpaceX boss has continued to tweet throughout the ongoing turmoil, often mocking the concerns raised about the company by posting memes and making light about the situation.

"How do you make a small fortune in social media? Start with a large one," he joked.

He also claimed the controversy was driving more traffic to the site, saying overnight the company had "just hit another all-time high in Twitter usage".

But industry expert Matt Navarra warned the platform was under increased strain as key engineers who are charged with maintaining the site leave just as a major event - the World Cup - begins this weekend in Qatar.

He said: "There are reports of teams that are critical for a number of Twitter's infrastructure systems now being completely empty - those teams have been completely decimated.

"And therefore, if there's anything that goes wrong or breaks or there's a sudden surge in activity, then the capability of Twitter to repair it or troubleshoot it is greatly reduced because of the lack of skilled engineers that the teams have now."

A number of Twitter users have begun pointing their followers to their accounts on other platforms with uncertainty over the site's ability to stay online.

Mr Navarra believes any imminent blackout is unlikely.

He said: "There's a code freeze in place and Twitter is kind of running on autopilot at the moment with its IT systems, and that a strategic move by Elon Musk to protect the stability of the platform while he figures out the next move.

"But with the World Cup coming up, that's going to be a real test of the resilience and capacity of Twitter to maintain a platform during a busy period.

"So if there's going to be a time when it is going to go offline, I think the greatest risk at the moment is going to be during some of the key moments of the World Cup."
Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
UK Government Weighs Removing Prince Andrew from Line of Succession After Arrest
Prince Andrew’s Arrest in UK Rekindles Scrutiny Over US Handling of Epstein Records
Trump’s Strategic Warning to UK Over Chagos Islands Deal Sparks Diplomatic Whiplash
Starmer Government Postpones Local Elections Affecting 4.5 Million Voters
UK Economy Remains Fragile Despite Recent Upturn in Headline Indicators
UK Businesses Face Fresh Uncertainty Following US Tariff Ruling
Reform UK’s Senior Figures Face Scrutiny Over Remarks on Women and Family Policy
UK Electric Vehicle Drive Threatened by Shortage of 44,000 Qualified Technicians
University of Kentucky Trustees Advance Academic Reforms and Approve Coliseum Plaza Purchase
Boris Johnson Calls for Immediate Deployment of UK Troops to Support Ukraine
OpenAI CEO Sam Altman praises the rapid progress of Chinese tech companies.
North Korea's capital experiences a significant construction boom with the development of a new city district dubbed 'Pyonghattan'.
New electric vehicle charging service eliminates waiting times
Vox Populi confronts Justin Trudeau at Davos over vaccination policies
Poland's President Karol Nawrocki ENDS support for Ukrainian citizens:
The mayor of Rotherham in Britain
One day after ex-Prince Andrew's arrest, British police are searching his former home, while U.K. lawmakers will consider introducing legislation to remove him from the line of royal succession
Vandana Shiva reminding the world that Bill Gates did not invent anything.
Italy's PM Giorgia Meloni highlights record employment and economic growth
UK Confirms Preferential U.S. Trading Terms Will Continue After Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
U.S. and U.K. to Hold Talks on Diego Garcia as Iran Objects to Potential Military Use
UK Officials Weigh Possible Changes to Prince Andrew’s Position in Line of Succession Amid Ongoing Scrutiny
British Police Probe Epstein’s UK Airport Links and Expand High-Profile Inquiries
The Impact of U.S. Sanctions on Cuba's Humanitarian Crisis: A Tightening Noose
Trump Directs Government to Release UFO and Alien Information
Trump Signs Global 10% Tariffs on Imports
United Kingdom Denies U.S. Access to Military Base for Potential Iran Strike
British Co-founder of ASOS falls to his death from Pattaya apartment
Early 2026 Data Suggests Tentative Recovery for UK Businesses and Households
UK Introduces Digital-First Passport Rules for Dual Citizens in Border Control Overhaul
Unable to Access Live Financial Data for January UK Surplus Report
UK Government Considers Law to Remove Prince Andrew from Royal Line of Succession
UK ‘Working Closely with US’ to Assess Impact of Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
Trump Criticises UK Decision to Restrict Use of Bases in Potential Iran Strike Scenario
UK Foreign Secretary and U.S. State Chief Hold Strategic Talks as Tensions Rise Over Joint Air Base
Two teens arrested in France for alleged terror plot.
Nordic Fracture: How Criminal Scandals and Toxic Ties are Dismantling the Norwegian Crown
US Supreme Court Voids Trump’s Emergency Tariff Plan, Reshaping Trade Power and Fiscal Risk
King Charles III Opens London Fashion Week as Royal Family Faces Fresh Scrutiny
Trump’s Evolving Stance on UK Chagos Islands Deal Draws Renewed Scrutiny
House Democrat Says Former UK Ambassador Unable to Testify in Congressional Epstein Inquiry
No Record of Prince Andrew Arrest in UK as Claims Circulate Online
UK Has Not Granted US Approval to Launch Iran Strikes from RAF Bases, Government Confirms
AI Pricing Pressure Mounts as Chinese Models Undercut US Rivals and Margin Risks Grow
Global Counsel, Advisory Firm Co-Founded by Lord Mandelson, Enters Administration After Client Exodus
London High Court dispute over Ricardo Salinas’s $400mn Elektra share-backed bitcoin loan
UK Intensifies Efforts to Secure Saudi Investment in Next-Generation Fighter Jet Programme
Former Student Files Civil Claim Against UK Authorities After Rape Charges Against Peers Are Dropped
Archer Aviation Chooses Bristol for New UK Engineering Hub to Drive Electric Air Taxi Expansion
UK Sees Surge in Medical Device Testing as Government Pushes Global Competitiveness
×