London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Monday, Aug 17, 2026

Prince Andrew, the banker … and a mystery £750,000 ‘wedding gift’

Prince Andrew, the banker … and a mystery £750,000 ‘wedding gift’

Entrepreneur Selman Turk is being sued by a Turkish millionairess, in a case involving a payment to the Duke of York.
When the Turkish entrepreneur Selman Turk launched a new digital bank three years ago, he was entering a crowded market of online start-ups hoping to grab business from the traditional banks.

It seemed there was little to distinguish the new London-based venture, Heyman AI, from a host of other contenders. It had a rudimentary website, meagre funding compared to some of its digital rivals and no banking licence. “We are building a good bank for good people,” said its website. A footnote added that it was “in the application process” to become a bank in the UK.

But just seven months after the new venture was launched, a besuited Turk was on stage with the Duke of York at St James’s Palace collecting a people’s choice award in the prestigious Pitch@Palace event. The competition on 6 November 2019 was Prince Andrew’s version of the BBC show Dragons’ Den, but with a priceless royal cachet. It was a spectacular coup for former Goldman Sachs banker Turk and his fledgling bank, but did not secure the future of the firm, which was wound up in September last year.

It emerged last week that Turk, 35, is being sued by a Turkish millionairess, Nebahat Evyap Isbilen, 77, who claims she was defrauded by him. She is seeking the return of about £38m. He disputes the allegations.

Turk helped manage Isbilen’s financial affairs, and the court documents claim Turk instigated a payment of £750,000 to be made to Prince Andrew, just nine days after he picked up the award at St James’s Palace.

The money, from Isbilen’s private bank account, has since been repaid, but raises new questions for Prince Andrew: were he and his advisers aware the payment was linked to Turk, and what was the money for? Prince Andrew is not central to the complex high court proceedings and is not accused of any wrongdoing.

In her statements to the high court, Isbilen said she was told by Turk that the payment was a gift for Prince Andrew after it was claimed he helped arrange a replacement passport.

She also said she had seen an email from Turk to her private bank, Hampden & Co, stating the payment was a wedding gift for Princess Beatrice, who married the property tycoon Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi in July 2020.

Isbilen has told the court she considered the claims concerning Prince Andrew’s purported role in arranging a passport or that the money transfer was a wedding gift were both false.

In an extraordinary transcript of a call published by the Daily Mail yesterday, Amanda Thirsk, Prince Andrew’s former private secretary and the former director of Pitch@Palace, allegedly told a banker from Hampden & Co conducting compliance checks that she believed the money was a gift. She is claimed to have said: “I understand it’s a gift for the wedding…What she [Beatrice] and her family decide to do with it is really to do with them, isn’t it?” Thirsk told the Mail she could not recollect the call, but would not have been involved in anything improper.

It has also been reported that Prince Andrew’s former wife, Sarah Ferguson, also received payments of at least £225,000 from Turk via a company called Alphabet Capital, said to be in connection with payment she was owed for her work with a solar power company. Her spokesperson has said she was completely unaware of the allegations which have now emerged.

Isbilen is a member of the Turkish family that owns the Evyap group of companies, which has a range of soap and personal care brands. Her husband, Ilhan Isbilen, is the former deputy leader of the ruling AK party, and has been a political prisoner in Turkey since 2015.

Isbilen says she gave Turk effective control of funds of $87.5m (£66.7m) and that he “dishonestly and systematically” abused the trust she placed in him. She said she had limited ability to understand English and required help to move her assets out of Turkey. She claims he dishonestly mismanaged her funds.

Pitch@Palace was founded by the Duke of York in 2014 to “amplify and accelerate the work of entrepreneurs”. The programme had aimed to help businesspeople “make connections” and secure investment.

Its future was, however, in peril at the time Turk picked up the award for his bank.

Prince Andrew had given his notorious BBC Two Newsnight interview 10 days after the awards ceremony, triggering a public backlash. Companies including KPMG, Barclays, Bosch and Standard Chartered subsequently ended their sponsorship of Pitch@Palace. Its future activities are now under review.

Prince Andrew’s spokesperson has said there will be no comment on an ongoing court case.
Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
Sarah Ferguson Reportedly Retreats to Late Ex-Boyfriend's Swiss Chalet
Cristiano Ronaldo and Georgina Rodríguez Sign Prenup Protecting Their Separate Fortunes
Thieves Steal Antonello da Messina Renaissance Masterpieces From Sicilian Museum
Better.com Founder Who Fired 900 Employees on Zoom Is Ousted as CEO
Italian Speed Camera Issues Nearly 32,000 Fines in 10 Weeks, Worth More Than €3 Million
AI Manager at San Francisco Store Recommends Firing Human Employee
Google Launches Pixel 11 With Gemini AI at the Center of Its Hardware Strategy
Campaigners Press Government to Strengthen Rights for Four Million Gig Workers
Government Considers Higher Private Rents to Spread Asylum Accommodation Across UK
UK Moves to Protect Historic Pubs From Conversion Into Housing and Offices
Nigel Farage Wins Clacton By-Election to Return to House of Commons
British Manufacturers Report Rising Cybersecurity Threats Across Industrial Supply Chains
Royal Navy Increases Monitoring of Russian Ships in UK Waters by 25 Percent
England Adds More Than 350 Medical Training Posts to Strengthen NHS Capacity
NHS Waiting Lists Over 52 Weeks Rise by More Than 11,000 Patients
Brent Crude Near $88 Raises Fresh UK Energy Cost Concerns
UK Treasury Warns Prolonged Strait of Hormuz Disruption Could Cut 2027 Growth to 0.3 Percent
UK Economy Grows 0.4 Percent in Second Quarter as Energy and Inflation Risks Persist
UK Heatwave Triggers Emergency Alert as Government Unveils £65 Million Farm Support Package
Reform UK Unveils Plan to Cut Welfare Spending by More Than £50 Billion a Year
Prime Minister Andy Burnham Praised Extinction Rebellion for Doing a 'Great Service'
UK Wildfire Phone Alert Triggers Backlash as Users Switch Off Emergency Warnings
Heathrow Roads Reopen After Burst Water Main Floods Access to Terminals 2 and 3
Former NBA Players Enes Kanter Freedom and Royce White Say They Will Enter 2027 WNBA Draft
Former Cambridge Professor Jason Arday Found Dead Days After Resigning Amid Plagiarism Row
US Appeals Court Rules AI Agent's Website Actions Are Legally Attributed to the User
France's Constitutional Council Blocks Social Media Ban for Children Under 15
Liechtenstein Changes Royal Succession Rules to Allow Women to Inherit the Throne
Women Allege Rape and Sexual Abuse at British Army College for Teenage Recruits
Minnesota: Two independent investigators posed as Muslims (one wearing a burqa) and showed how they could vote in elections without identification.
UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham Takes Regional Tour to Highlight Local Infrastructure and Environmental Problems
Nigel Farage Wins Clacton By-Election to Return to the House of Commons
Bank of England Warns Rising Inflation Could Squeeze UK Household Incomes
UK Government Announces £65 Million Aid Package for Farmers Hit by Severe Drought
UK Economy Grows 0.4% in Second Quarter Despite Energy Market Pressures
UK Issues Emergency Alert as Severe Wildfires Spread Across England and Wales
UK and Finland Discuss European Defence and Continued Support for Ukraine
Nigel Farage Wins Clacton By-Election to Return to the House of Commons
UK Government Deploys Military to Help Fight Wildfires and Bans Disposable Barbecues
UK Records Hottest Day of the Year as Fifth Summer Heatwave Peaks in Southern England
UK Condemns Houthi Actions and Warns of Red Sea Threat to Global Trade
UK and Solomon Islands Open Wildlife Photography Exhibition in Honiara
UK Small Businesses Face Continued Cash Flow and Tax Pressures
Greatham Marsh Restoration Restores Tidal Wetland in Hartlepool After More Than 200 Years
UK Health Regulator Urges University Students to Check Meningitis and Measles Vaccination Status
Mining Remediation Authority Completes Major Ground Stabilization Works in Scottish Community
UK Food Crime Investigators Seize 33 Tonnes of Illegal Food in Multi-Agency Operation
Technical Qualification Uptake Hits Record High as Advanced Mathematics Results Improve
UK Summer Temperatures on Course to Challenge Long-Standing Records, Met Office Says
UK Farmers Bring Forward Cereal Harvests as Drought Threatens Yields
×