London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Saturday, Aug 22, 2026

London borough to turn 75% of its streets into LTNs

London borough to turn 75% of its streets into LTNs

The move will see most vehicles banned from three quarters of Hackney’s streets
A London borough is set to ban most vehicles from 75 per cent of its roads in a major expansion of controversial Low Traffic Neighbourhoods measures.

Hackney council signed off plans to put three quarters of its streets into LTNs in what it is billing as “the country’s most ambitious plan” to tackle toxic air.

The Labour-run borough already has the highest number of the schemes in London, with roughly half of its roads covered by traffic management measures.

Mayor Philip Glanville said Hackney’s Three Year Local Implementation Plan would see the area have the largest number of car restrictions, public electric vehicle chargers and cycle parking in the capital.

He added: “This is the most ambitious plan in London, if not the most ambitious in the country, building on an incredible track record in this borough.”

Under the new proposals Dalston, Hoxton, Chatsworth Road, Craven Walk, Cazenove Road and Stamford Hill will have the LTNs installed between now and 2025/26.

Some £19million awarded to the town hall by the Government’s Levelling Up Fund will be used to redesign Pembury Circus junction and make five acres in Hackney Central “greener”.

It adds to schemes already in place in London Fields, Hackney Downs and Stoke Newington, which only cyclists, emergency vehicles and bin lorries are permitted to pass through.

LTNs use either physical filters, such as bollards and planters, or traffic cameras to stop vehicles using some smaller residential streets as through-routes, while cyclists and pedestrians are unaffected.

Disabled drivers who hold blue badges and live outside the LTN areas will also be allowed to pass through some of the car filters.

Opponents have claimed the road blocks move traffic from a few, often wealthier, streets and into neighbouring areas.

“There is no justification for safer, quieter roads for some at others’ expense,” residents group Hackney Together said.

A study by Westminster University’s Active Travel Academy and climate charity Possible, published earlier this month, found the measures in place in London “substantially” reduced motor traffic in residential areas without having much impact on nearby main roads.

Hackney council said it had seen an almost 40 per cent reduction in traffic across its four biggest recently installed schemes, as well as 2 per cent fewer vehicles on boundary roads.

Labour councillor Mete Coban, Hackney’s environment and transport lead, said the schemes would be created with resident input, and businesses across the impacted areas had been consulted.

“We also want to go back to those areas where we have made schemes permanent to make further improvements,” he said. “That’s looking at the Hackney Downs LTN, London Fields LTN, some of those concerns residents have been raising for us.”

He added: “We promise to be at the forefront of the fight against climate change and creating a greener, healthier Hackney as a result.”

Thousands of new bike storage spaces, safer walking routes and shared car clubs will also be put in place as part of the plan.

It will also see the number of Hackney “School Streets”, where temporary restrictions are placed on traffic when pupils are arriving and leaving school, expanded from 49 to 60.

The move is in stark contrast to neighbouring borough Tower Hamlets, where new mayor Lutfur Rahman has ripped out several traffic-calming measures and is now consulting on the removal of others.

Removing LTNs was one of Mr Rahman’s flagship campaign policies before taking power and beating Labour in the local elections last year.

It comes a Sadiq Khan is facing a legal fight over the expansion of his Ultra Low Admission Zone (ULEZ) to London’s suburbs.

The Mayor’s flagship policy is being challenged by the ring of councils surrounding the capital and due to be added to the zone from August 29.

They have threatened legal action in an attempt to block the scheme, which will see drivers of older or more polluting cars have to pay £12.50 a day to use their vehicles.

Richmond yesterday became the latest borough to call on Mr Khan to re-think the upcoming expansion.

The Lib-Dem controlled authority asked City Hall to delay the scheme until public transport is improved and the cost-of-living crisis ends.

Councillor Alexander Ehmann said: “We support Ulez extension, but time for people to transition and the levels support are important factors, which to our view the Mayor has not yet gotten right.”

Harrow, Hillingdon, Croydon, Sutton, Bromley, Bexley, Havering and Kingston have also all expressed they are willing to fight City Hall over the Ulez.
Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
Petrol Bombs Set Luxury Cars Alight Outside Birmingham Wedding as Police Hunt Three Men
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Prince Harry and Co-Claimants Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million Toward Daily Mail Publisher’s Legal Costs
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Reportedly Plan Return to Britain With Their Children
UK Court Ruling Threatens Deportation Plans for Potential Trafficking Victims to Albania
Kemi Badenoch Presses UK Government for Decisions on Rosebank and Jackdaw Oil Fields
UK Foreign Affairs Committee Chair Calls for Ban on Goods from Occupied West Bank
Andy Burnham Government to Place Civil Servants Directly in English Mayoral Offices
Met Office Warns Major El Niño Could Bring Stormier, Wetter Autumn to UK
UK Economy Gains Unexpected Momentum Ahead of Andy Burnham Government’s First Budget
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Royal Navy to Accelerate DragonFire Laser Deployment Against Growing Drone Threat
Northern Ireland Approves Five Hundred Million Pound Belfast Harbour Expansion
Great British Railways Takes Full Control of Avanti West Coast as Rail Nationalisation Reaches Final Stage
UK AI Safety Institute Calls for Mandatory Security Audits of Advanced AI Models
Scotland Secures Three Billion Pounds for Floating Offshore Wind Hub in Aberdeen
Government Overrides Local Councils to Approve Green Belt Housing Across Southern England
UK and EU Move Toward Mutual Recognition of Food Standards to Ease Cross-Channel Trade
Government Plans Multibillion-Pound Private Healthcare Expansion to Cut NHS Surgical Backlogs
Bank of England Signals Faster Rate Cuts as Inflation Falls Below the Two Percent Target
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
Moderna Shares Surge After Positive Personalized Skin Cancer Trial Results
UK Markets Watch US National Debt Surpass Forty Trillion Dollars
UK Broadcasters Urge Government to Invest in Digital Participation and Broadband
CVC Capital Partners and Standard Life Launch Two Billion Pound Pension Risk Transfer Venture
UK Private Sector Productivity Growth Accelerates in Second Quarter
UK Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband Condemns Israeli E1 Settlement Tender
UK Watchdog Investigates Trainline, Virgin Atlantic and RED Driving School Over Hidden Fees
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Plan Move to Private Home Outside London
UK Retail Sentiment Improves as Summer Spending Boosts Consumer Confidence
UK Aid Cuts Draw Warnings From Charities Over Humanitarian Consequences
UK Financial Conduct Authority Issues Guidance for Motor Finance Redress Scheme
UK Met Office Launches Aviation Programme to Reduce Climate Impact of Persistent Contrails
Former UK Civil Service Chief Received Record 500,000 Pound Severance Payment
West Midlands to Bring Bus Network Under Public Franchising Model
UK Government Drops Plan to Relax Affordable Housing Requirements After Backlash
UK Reaffirms Military Support for Ukraine Despite Russian Hybrid Warfare Threats
UK Technology Sector Expands Nearly 8 Percent as Digital Industry Outpaces Wider Economy
UK Drought Threatens Harvests Across England and Wales as Food Inflation Risks Persist
UK Government Pledges 442 Million Pounds to End Rough Sleeping by Christmas
UK Government Signals Willingness to Reconsider Digital Services Tax Amid US Tariff Threats
×