London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Saturday, Aug 22, 2026

Hong Kong will keep crown as world’s top destination for visitors in 2019 despite protests, research firm Euromonitor forecasts

Hong Kong beat Bangkok to top spot for tourists in 2018, keeping No 1 ranking for ninth straight year, British-based company says. Firm forecasts foreign arrivals to the city will drop 8.7 per cent to 26.71 million this year

Hong Kong was the world’s top destination in terms of visitors for the ninth straight year in 2018 and will still lead the market in 2019 despite the ongoing political and social turmoil, according to a top research house.

The city, Bangkok, London, Macau, Singapore, Paris, Dubai, New York, Kuala Lumpur and Istanbul were ranked the 10 most popular destinations by Euromonitor International, which studied foreign visitor statistics for 2018 across 400 cities.

The British-based research company estimated global inbound arrivals would jump 4.2 per cent to 1.5 billion trips in 2019, with the top 100 cities accounting for nearly 47 per cent of the total and growing 6.2 per cent from a year earlier.

Hong Kong, although hammered by more than five months of protests, was expected to keep its crown in 2019 even though Euromonitor forecast foreign arrivals would drop 8.7 per cent to 26.71 million.

But that figure was still higher than the No 2 destination, Bangkok, which was estimated to receive 25.84 million foreign arrivals in 2019, a 6.9 per cent increase on last year.

Foreign visitors are defined as those who visit another country for more than 24 hours, for a period not exceeding 12 months, and stay in paid or unpaid, collective or private accommodation.

In Hong Kong’s case, that includes mainland Chinese visitors, who made up 78 per cent of the city’s total arrivals in the first 10 months of this year.

Euromonitor said the city’s reputation arose from its proximity to the mainland, its vibrant shopping and strong cultural heritage.

Simon Haven, senior analyst at Euromonitor, noted that Hong Kong was starting from a strong base ahead of Bangkok, adding that the gap was going to narrow quite a bit.

“The thing people forget is that the protests only really started to have an impact on arrivals in July, so that means that between January and June, the numbers were very strong,” he said.

“If you look just over the first six months, the increase in arrivals was 14 per cent over the last year, so that’s a very strong performance in terms of arrivals. Only as of July, August, September did the numbers start to drop.”

In October, arrivals to Hong Kong were down 43.7 per cent year on year to 3.31 million – the worst since May 2003 – with more than 40 jurisdictions worldwide issuing warnings or alerts for travellers heading to the city.



New cross-border transport infrastructure, such as the 55km Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macau Bridge and the 23km local stretch of the Guangzhou-Shenzhen-Hong Kong Express Rail Link would provide consistent growth in arrivals from the mainland, it said.
The company’s optimism is in stark contrast to the havoc ongoing protests have wreaked on the city for months.

Tourist arrivals have taken a battering since the protests, sparked by a now-withdrawn extradition bill, broke out in June and subsequently evolved into a wider anti-government campaign with worsening levels of violence.

In popular tourist districts such as Causeway Bay, Tsim Sha Tsui, Jordan, Yau Ma Tei and Mong Kok, peaceful rallies have often descended into violent clashes between radical protesters and riot police, resulting in public transport, especially train services, having to close early. Radicals have also blocked roads and vandalised businesses and public facilities.

Hard-core protesters have frequently hurled petrol bombs and bricks at police while officers have deployed water cannons, tear gas, rubber bullets and other projectiles to disperse crowds.

“Travel is resilient,” said Agilson Valle, Country Manager at Euromonitor International.

Citing the examples of London, Paris and Istanbul – all cities that suffered terrorist attacks in 2018 and still made it onto the top 10 list –Valle said “people forget” and the outlook was positive for Hong Kong.

Meanwhile, Shenzhen dropped three places to 13th in Euromonitor’s Top 100 cities list this year, behind Istanbul (10th), Delhi (11th) and Antalya (12th).

“Turkey picked up quite a lot in the number of arrivals because of the devaluation of the Turkish lira, and it became a safer place again so Europeans started going back,” Valle said. “It was more Istanbul and Antalya growing in the number of visitors, not necessarily Shenzhen losing a lot.”

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
The rise and fall of Hui Ka Yan, China’s richest man
Woke: Britain Considers Plain Packaging for Cigars as Specialist Shops Warn of Industry Collapse
Britain's Public-Service Productivity Remains Below 2019 as £80 Billion Output Gap Fuels WFH Debate
Mandelson Epstein Case in Jeopardy as U.S. Files Stay Out of Reach
Prince Harry and Six Others Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million After High Court Defeat
Petrol Bombs Set Luxury Cars Alight Outside Birmingham Wedding as Police Hunt Three Men
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Prince Harry and Co-Claimants Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million Toward Daily Mail Publisher’s Legal Costs
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Reportedly Plan Return to Britain With Their Children
UK Court Ruling Threatens Deportation Plans for Potential Trafficking Victims to Albania
Kemi Badenoch Presses UK Government for Decisions on Rosebank and Jackdaw Oil Fields
UK Foreign Affairs Committee Chair Calls for Ban on Goods from Occupied West Bank
Andy Burnham Government to Place Civil Servants Directly in English Mayoral Offices
Met Office Warns Major El Niño Could Bring Stormier, Wetter Autumn to UK
UK Economy Gains Unexpected Momentum Ahead of Andy Burnham Government’s First Budget
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Royal Navy to Accelerate DragonFire Laser Deployment Against Growing Drone Threat
Northern Ireland Approves Five Hundred Million Pound Belfast Harbour Expansion
Great British Railways Takes Full Control of Avanti West Coast as Rail Nationalisation Reaches Final Stage
UK AI Safety Institute Calls for Mandatory Security Audits of Advanced AI Models
Scotland Secures Three Billion Pounds for Floating Offshore Wind Hub in Aberdeen
Government Overrides Local Councils to Approve Green Belt Housing Across Southern England
UK and EU Move Toward Mutual Recognition of Food Standards to Ease Cross-Channel Trade
Government Plans Multibillion-Pound Private Healthcare Expansion to Cut NHS Surgical Backlogs
Bank of England Signals Faster Rate Cuts as Inflation Falls Below the Two Percent Target
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
Moderna Shares Surge After Positive Personalized Skin Cancer Trial Results
UK Markets Watch US National Debt Surpass Forty Trillion Dollars
UK Broadcasters Urge Government to Invest in Digital Participation and Broadband
CVC Capital Partners and Standard Life Launch Two Billion Pound Pension Risk Transfer Venture
UK Private Sector Productivity Growth Accelerates in Second Quarter
UK Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband Condemns Israeli E1 Settlement Tender
UK Watchdog Investigates Trainline, Virgin Atlantic and RED Driving School Over Hidden Fees
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Plan Move to Private Home Outside London
UK Retail Sentiment Improves as Summer Spending Boosts Consumer Confidence
UK Aid Cuts Draw Warnings From Charities Over Humanitarian Consequences
UK Financial Conduct Authority Issues Guidance for Motor Finance Redress Scheme
UK Met Office Launches Aviation Programme to Reduce Climate Impact of Persistent Contrails
Former UK Civil Service Chief Received Record 500,000 Pound Severance Payment
West Midlands to Bring Bus Network Under Public Franchising Model
UK Government Drops Plan to Relax Affordable Housing Requirements After Backlash
×