London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Saturday, Aug 22, 2026

Hong Kong protests: lawmakers and leaders from 18 countries urge Carrie Lam to set up independent panel to probe police conduct

Some 38 people – including lawmakers, former bureaucrats, social leaders and politicians from Australia, Britain, Canada, Ireland, Lithuania and the US – write open letter to Lam. They say they will be prompted to call for an international-level probe into role of Hong Kong police if Lam fails to set up an independent panel for the purpose

Lawmakers and civic leaders from 18 countries have urged Hong Kong Chief Executive Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor to set up an independent probe into police’s use of force in the ongoing protests, warning they would otherwise call for an inquiry at the international level.

Among 38 people who penned an open letter to the city leader were John Bercow, former speaker of the British House of Commons, Malcolm Rifkind, former British foreign secretary, Cardinal Charles Maung Bo, president of the Federation of Asian Bishops Conferences, Alissa Wahid, daughter of late Indonesian President Abdurrahman Wahid, and politicians from Australia, Canada, Ireland, Lithuania, and the United States.

They urged Lam to rethink the government’s position on the matter and listen to the demands of anti-government protesters, as they said they were “horrified” to see tear gas and pepper spray fired at demonstrators and bystanders in protests during the Christmas holiday.

Police have accused radical protesters of vandalising shops in malls across the city, where officers arrested more than 200 people for disturbances in various districts last week, driving the total arrest figure to 6,494 over seven months of political unrest.

“We appeal to you to use your authority and exercise your responsibility to seek genuine ways forward out of this crisis by addressing the grievances of Hong Kong people, bringing the Hong Kong Police Force under control, ensuring accountability and an end to impunity for serious violations of human rights, and beginning a process of democratic political reform,” the letter read.

They said though nothing could justify violence, a small section of protesters had become violent in desperation as the government refused to listen to them.

They urged the government to heed protesters’ demands by establishing an independent inquiry into police conduct during the protests, release those arrested for taking part in peaceful demonstrations, and consider political reform.

“Should you continue to reject this idea, we call on the international community to establish an international, independent inquiry mechanism,” they wrote.

They have not specified what form of international inquiry they supported.

In June 2020, the United Nations Human Rights Committee is expected to scrutinise Hong Kong’s compliance with human rights under the international treaty, the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.

Some people have launched online petitions asking international courts to review the situation in Hong Kong. Any investigation, however, has to be triggered by a complaint from a sovereign state, the UN, or human rights bodies.

The signatories to the letter warned there could be other outcomes if the government failed to make concessions for protesters.

“Failure to seize this opportunity … may also result in even more vocal calls for targeted Magnitsky sanctions against officials in Hong Kong directly or indirectly responsible for human rights violations. It is our hope that you choose a path of constructive and meaningful reform which makes reconciliation and healing possible,” they said.

The group was referring to the Global Magnitsky Human Rights Accountability Act, which allows the US government to sanction foreign government officials implicated in human rights abuses anywhere in the world.

In November, US President Donald Trump signed the Hong Kong Human Rights and Democracy Act into law, which could pave the way for diplomatic action and economic sanctions against Hong Kong’s government for any conduct that may be perceived by the US to have violated Hongkongers’ rights and freedoms.

The European Union is drafting a similar law, while Australia is conducting a public consultation about it.

The Post has reached out to the Hong Kong government for a response.

After the withdrawal of the extradition bill, which would have allowed the transfer of fugitives to mainland China for trial, Lam has refused to make any further concessions to meet protesters’ other demands, which include the setting up of a judge-led commission of inquiry into police’s use of force.

Lam said the government would instead invite experts to join a review committee to examine the causes behind the unrest.

Meanwhile, the police watchdog – the Independent Police Complaints Council – is reviewing the force’s handling of protests and will release its first interim report in late January or early February.

Lam’s office on Tuesday refused to comment on whether it had received the interim report.

In a long statement released at about 1am on Wednesday, a government spokesman refuted the claims made in the open letter as unfounded and misguided.

“We are gravely concerned that the claims are biased and misleading. The HKSAR government must rebut them to ensure they truly understand the extent of violence by radical protesters and the attacks they have made on police and citizens.”

The spokesman said no protesters had been killed as a result of direct police action while 520 officers were injured, adding that the extent of students and minors being involved in such violent protests was particularly worrying.

He said police did not initiate actions against protesters and only responded with proportionate force consistent with international human rights standards.

The spokesman also rejected the suggestion of an international independent inquiry mechanism. “Such action, coupled with the threat of Magnitsky sanctions, would be a gross interference in Hong Kong’s governance and autonomy as well as the sovereignty of our nation.

“No government would tolerate such action or bow to such pressure.”

The Hong Kong government also defended the city’s freedoms, citing the extensive global media coverage which was “unprecedented” in the city’s history.

“That in itself is evidence enough that freedom of the press is well protected, and citizens of Hong Kong continue to enjoy the freedom of participating in lawful and peaceful demonstrations to express their views.”

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
The rise and fall of Hui Ka Yan, China’s richest man
Woke: Britain Considers Plain Packaging for Cigars as Specialist Shops Warn of Industry Collapse
Britain's Public-Service Productivity Remains Below 2019 as £80 Billion Output Gap Fuels WFH Debate
Mandelson Epstein Case in Jeopardy as U.S. Files Stay Out of Reach
Prince Harry and Six Others Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million After High Court Defeat
Petrol Bombs Set Luxury Cars Alight Outside Birmingham Wedding as Police Hunt Three Men
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Prince Harry and Co-Claimants Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million Toward Daily Mail Publisher’s Legal Costs
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Reportedly Plan Return to Britain With Their Children
UK Court Ruling Threatens Deportation Plans for Potential Trafficking Victims to Albania
Kemi Badenoch Presses UK Government for Decisions on Rosebank and Jackdaw Oil Fields
UK Foreign Affairs Committee Chair Calls for Ban on Goods from Occupied West Bank
Andy Burnham Government to Place Civil Servants Directly in English Mayoral Offices
Met Office Warns Major El Niño Could Bring Stormier, Wetter Autumn to UK
UK Economy Gains Unexpected Momentum Ahead of Andy Burnham Government’s First Budget
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Royal Navy to Accelerate DragonFire Laser Deployment Against Growing Drone Threat
Northern Ireland Approves Five Hundred Million Pound Belfast Harbour Expansion
Great British Railways Takes Full Control of Avanti West Coast as Rail Nationalisation Reaches Final Stage
UK AI Safety Institute Calls for Mandatory Security Audits of Advanced AI Models
Scotland Secures Three Billion Pounds for Floating Offshore Wind Hub in Aberdeen
Government Overrides Local Councils to Approve Green Belt Housing Across Southern England
UK and EU Move Toward Mutual Recognition of Food Standards to Ease Cross-Channel Trade
Government Plans Multibillion-Pound Private Healthcare Expansion to Cut NHS Surgical Backlogs
Bank of England Signals Faster Rate Cuts as Inflation Falls Below the Two Percent Target
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
Moderna Shares Surge After Positive Personalized Skin Cancer Trial Results
UK Markets Watch US National Debt Surpass Forty Trillion Dollars
UK Broadcasters Urge Government to Invest in Digital Participation and Broadband
CVC Capital Partners and Standard Life Launch Two Billion Pound Pension Risk Transfer Venture
UK Private Sector Productivity Growth Accelerates in Second Quarter
UK Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband Condemns Israeli E1 Settlement Tender
UK Watchdog Investigates Trainline, Virgin Atlantic and RED Driving School Over Hidden Fees
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Plan Move to Private Home Outside London
UK Retail Sentiment Improves as Summer Spending Boosts Consumer Confidence
UK Aid Cuts Draw Warnings From Charities Over Humanitarian Consequences
UK Financial Conduct Authority Issues Guidance for Motor Finance Redress Scheme
UK Met Office Launches Aviation Programme to Reduce Climate Impact of Persistent Contrails
Former UK Civil Service Chief Received Record 500,000 Pound Severance Payment
West Midlands to Bring Bus Network Under Public Franchising Model
UK Government Drops Plan to Relax Affordable Housing Requirements After Backlash
×