London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Monday, Feb 16, 2026

Funeral directors stopped for McDonald's with body in hearse

Funeral directors stopped for McDonald's with body in hearse

A mum-of-two has branded undertakers ‘disrespectful’ after staff stopped to eat McDonald’s with a dead woman still in the hearse.

Deborah Carlisle, 57, says she cried in anger when she spotted the funeral workers eating a Maccies breakfast last week in Aylesford, Kent.

She says everyone in the car park ‘stood there with their jaws open’ and ‘couldn’t believe what they were seeing’.

Deborah publicly shamed them by sharing photos showing a suited man carrying a McDonald’s takeaway bag towards the hearse and insisted that the deceased woman’s family shouldn’t be charged.

But Indian Funeral Directors said one of their workers is diabetic and had permission from grieving relatives to eat at the fast-food restaurant to stop his blood sugar levels dropping.

The firm’s head, Sanjay Shah, branded Deborah a ‘busybody’ who had ’caused havoc’ with her repeated calls and said the deceased’s family laughed off claims they should be refunded.

But Deborah, from Boughton Monchelsea, Kent, was not convinced and claimed she had had ‘no sympathy’ even if the man did have diabetes, because ‘other people can manage their disabilities’.


Deborah said people were stood ‘with their jaws open’ and ‘couldn’t believe what they were seeing’


The eyewitness has complained to the directors on the phone and has demanded the family are given a refunded


She said: ‘The whole car park was stood there with their jaws open. They couldn’t believe what they were seeing.

‘I thought maybe this was the person’s last wish, but I watched and one of them get out, walked in there, came out with the bag and dumped it on the dashboard of the hearse.

‘They stayed and started munching. I walked over and both of them were holding their burgers and I said it’s disrespectful. Disgusting. “What the hell do you think you’re doing?”

‘Imagine if one of the funeral cortege had come in to get a bottle of water or something and seen the coffin and them munching burgers.

‘When I called, I told them I think he should waive the fee for the customer. All day I was in total shock and I cried over it. It’s disgusting.’


But funeral director Sanjay Shah has dismissed Deborah as a ‘busybody’ and said the family allowed the worker to stop off for food due to his diabetes.


Deborah says he doesn’t believe Indian Funeral Directors’s explanation


Deborah said the undertakers waited in the busy car park for around 30 minutes before they drove off to present the coffin at the deceased’s family’s house.

She admitted even calling other local funeral directors to tell them about what happened before hearing the firm’s explanation.

Sanjay said Deborah called numerous times and claims she maintained her ‘rude’ stance, even after he explained the stop-off was for ‘medical reasons’.

He added: ‘She’s a busybody. She should mind her own business. We’ve done everything with the permission on the son and I don’t know why she’s pulling the strings.

‘She’s definitely not a nice lady. The way she’s spoken to me and threatened me. She said she’s going to be shutting my business down.

‘She’s been creating a big havoc in our office. She’d spoken to a few people until I got the call and I told her she didn’t know the full story, so I explained it to her.

‘We’re a respectable company. We’ve been doing funerals for 31 years. We are quite popular with the whole Asian and Indian community because we provide a special service.

‘Both of our staff woke up at 5am in the morning, cleaned the cars, loaded the coffin and had to leave very early because we had to take the coffin to the family’s house first.

‘To beat the traffic, we got to Aylesford early. One of our staff is a diabetic so they spoke with the son of the deceased and asked if it’s okay if they can have a bite to eat.

‘The family straight away said we can do that and said “there’s a McDonald’s off the motorway”, then you can make your way to us. They asked if they had stopped when we got there, and we told them and yes.

‘This lady tells us we are going to do the funeral free of charge and I’ve spoken with the son and he started laughing. He asked me ‘who is this lady?’ and said he will not accept it.’

But after hearing Sanjay’s explanation, Deborah remained unconvinced and still said that their behaviour was unacceptable.

She added: ‘It’s absolute bulls**t. Whatever type of diabetes he is, he knows when to have his food to avoid going into a coma.

‘Take a packed lunch and eat it discreetly, or buy your McDonald’s and go down a lane.

‘I don’t have any sympathy. I’ve got friends that have diabetes and they manage it. Both of them were stuffing their faces, not just one.

‘If they’ve driven all the way from London without eating the correct food to stop them from going into a coma, well they shouldn’t be driving anyway.’

Deborah posted her snaps of the incident to Facebook along with a link to the busy funeral director’s website.

She wrote: ‘Disrespectful. A hearse complete with coffin wreaths and flowers pars up to get a McDonald’s. People were astounded.

‘Waited to check if they actually ate it and told him it’s disgusting and disrespectful while he munched on his burger.

‘Then he drove off the wrong way round the car park to avoid my car.’

Deborah was a founder of the Madeleine Foundation, which handed out leaflets suggesting Madeleine McCann was not abducted.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
UK’s Top Prosecutor Says ‘No One Is Above the Law’ as Police Review Claims Against Ex-Prince Andrew
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio Comment on European allies report blaming Russia for killing late Kremlin critic Alexei Navalny using toxin from poison dart frogs
Eighty-Year-Old Lottery Winner Sentenced to 16.5 Years for Drug Trafficking
UK Quran Burner May Receive Asylum in the US Amid Legal Challenges
Rubio Calls for Sweeping U.N. Reform, Saying It Has Failed to End Wars in Gaza and Ukraine
10,000 Condoms Distributed at Winter Olympics 2026 Athlete Village Depleted Within 72 Hours
Poland's President Advocates for Evaluating Independent Nuclear Weapons Development
Prince William Meets Saudi Crown Prince as Epstein-Andrew Fallout Casts Shadow
Starmer Calls for Renewed ‘Hard Power’ Investment at European Security Summit
UK Police Establish National Taskforce to Handle Domestic Epstein-Linked Allegations
UK Court Rules Ban on Palestine Action Unlawful in Major Free Speech Test
UK Faces Prospect of Net Migration Turning Negative as Economic Impact Looms
Mayor of Serdobsk in Russia’s Penza Region Resigns After Housing Certificates Granted to Migrant Family Trigger Public Outcry
Pentagon Reviews Anthropic Partnership After Claude AI Reportedly Used in Operation Targeting Nicolás Maduro
President Donald Trump and Hip-Hop’s Political Realignment: Pardons, Public Endorsements, and the Struggle Over Cultural Influence
China’s EV Makers Face Mandatory Return to Physical Buttons and Door Handles in Driver-Distraction Safety Overhaul
Goldman Sachs and DP World Executive Resignations: Elite-Reputation Risk and Corporate Governance Fallout From the Epstein Disclosures
‘Amelia’: The UK Government’s Anti-Extremism Game Villain Who Became a Protest Symbol
Peter Mandelson Asked to Testify Before US Congress Over Jeffrey Epstein Links
Walmart's Earnings and UK Economic Data Highlight Upcoming Financial Trends
UK Green Party Considering Proposal to Legalize Heroin for an Inclusive Society
SpaceX's New Vision: Lunar City Takes Precedence Over Mars Colonization
OpenAI and DeepCent Superintelligence Race: Artificial General Intelligence and AI Agents as a National Security Arms Race
Document Suggests Prince Andrew Shared UK Briefing on Afghan Investment Opportunities with Jeffrey Epstein
We will protect them from the digital Wild West.’ Another country will ban social media for under-16s
McDonald's Shortens Breakfast Hours in Australia Due to Egg Shortage
Heineken announces cut of 6,000 jobs due to declining beer demand
Beijing Brands UK Hong Kong Visa Expansion ‘Despicable and Reprehensible’ After Jimmy Lai Sentencing
Tesco Chief Warns UK Is ‘Sleepwalking’ Toward a Joblessness Crisis
Trump’s ‘Act of Great Stupidity’ Comment on UK Chagos Deal Reverberates Through Diplomacy and Strategy
New U.S. filings say Jeffrey Epstein repaid Les Wexner one hundred million dollars after theft allegation
Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick acknowledges 2012 visit to Jeffrey Epstein’s private island as lawmakers scrutinise past ties
Helsing and Stark Defence loitering-munition drones and Germany’s race to industrialise battlefield autonomy
UK orders deletion of Courtsdesk court-data archive, reigniting the fight over who controls public justice records
UK Police Review Fresh Claims Involving Prince Andrew as Senior Royals Respond to Epstein Files
Keir Starmer’s Premiership Faces Unprecedented Strain as Epstein Fallout Deepens
Starmer Vows to Stay in Office as UK Government Faces Turmoil After Epstein Fallout
China and UK Signal Tentative Reset with Commitment to Steadier, Professionally Managed Relations
UK Confirms Imminent Increase in ETA Fee to £20 as Entry Rules Tighten
UK Signals Possible Seizure of Russia-Linked ‘Shadow Fleet’ Tanker in Escalation of Sanctions Enforcement
Epstein Scandal Piles Unprecedented Pressure on UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer’s Leadership
UK’s ‘Most Romantic Village’ Celebrates Valentine’s Day and Explores the Festival’s Rich History
The Implications of Expanding Voting Rights to Non-EU Foreign Residents in France
Ghislaine Maxwell to Testify Before US Congress on February 9
Al.com Acquired by Crypto.com Founder for $70 Million
Apple iPhone Lockdown Mode blocks FBI data access in journalist device seizure
Belgium: Man Charged with Rape After Faking Payment to Sex Worker
KPMG Urges Auditor to Relay AI Cost Savings
US and Iran to Begin Nuclear Talks in Oman
Winklevoss-Led Gemini to Slash a Quarter of Jobs and Exit European and Australian Markets
×