London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Friday, Feb 20, 2026

'Food parcel first' policy under pressure after outcry from parents in England

'Food parcel first' policy under pressure after outcry from parents in England

One provider offers refunds for children’s lunches after widespread criticisms of meagre parcels
Ministers are under pressure to overhaul the way in which free school meals are being provided to vulnerable children under the latest lockdown, after Marcus Rashford highlighted “woefully inadequate” food parcels estimated to be worth little more than £5.

Food poverty campaigners, paediatricians and nutritionists called on the government to review its “food parcel first” approach to feeding disadvantaged families, after parents posted photographs on social media showing the apparently meagre contents of their food parcels.

One was made up of a white loaf, a pack of sliced cheese, two potatoes, two carrots, two bananas, two mini Soreen bars, two tubes of Frubes, a tin of beans, a small bag of pasta and three apples.

Commenting on the photograph, Bridget Benelam of the British Nutrition Foundation said: “The variety of foods shown in this image is very limited, especially when it comes to fruit and vegetables and protein-rich foods. A balanced lunch for a child should provide some starchy foods, wholegrain where possible, at least one and ideally two or more portions of fruit and vegetables, some protein-rich foods like beans, eggs, fish or meat and some dairy foods or alternatives.”

According to Twitter user Roadside Mum who posted the picture, the parcel was supposed to provide the equivalent of the two weeks’ worth of £15 free school meal vouchers provided to parents and carers in the first lockdown – or £30 worth of food. “I priced that like-for-like from Asda and it came to £5.22. Where’s the other £25,” she said.

Chartwells, the school catering company that supplied the package, claimed the photograph showed five days of free lunches, not 10, and the charge for food, packing and distribution was £10.50 not £30, but added: “We are very sorry the quantity has fallen short in this instance.” A spokesperson said: “Our 10-day hampers typically include a wide variety of nutritious food items to support the provision of lunches for children.”

The company announced late on Tuesday that it would be refunding the costs of any below-standard parcels, would contact schools to understand where any shortages may have occurred, and from next Monday would ensure food hampers reflect the additional £3.50 funding allocation for each pupil receiving a food parcel at home.

The children and families minister, Vicky Ford, said: “The photos being shared on social media today are completely unacceptable and do not reflect the high standard of free school meals we expect to be sent to children.

“Chartwells has rightly apologised and admitted the parcel in question was not good enough. I met their managing director earlier today and he has assured me they have taken immediate action to stop further deliveries of poor-quality parcels. They will ensure schools affected are compensated and they will provide additional food to the eligible child in line with our increased funding.”

Ford said the government will demand all caterers meet the standards set for high quality lunches, adding that they would set out further details on Wednesday.

Footballer and campaigner Marcus Rashford, who forced the government into a U-turn on funding free school meals during the holidays, had earlier described the food parcels as unacceptable and demanded swift action, tweeting: “Something is going wrong and we need to fix it, quickly!”

Department for Education (DfE) guidance issued last Friday actively encourages schools to provide parcels for children on free school meals. Although schools can also choose to issue food vouchers, the guidance says schools are “strongly encouraged” to adopt a “food parcel first approach”.

Some schools have already opted out of providing parcels in favour of established local voucher schemes. Cllr Ed Davie, Lambeth council’s cabinet member for children and young people, said all 90 schools in the borough had chosen to keep the voucher system it adopted over the Christmas holidays, rather than use parcels.

“We want families to have cash or vouchers because it is more dignified and affords them more choice in what food they buy,” Cllr Davie said.

Labour has called for the government to restart the national food vouchers scheme, which operated during the first national lockdown. Labour leader Keir Starmer tweeted: “The images appearing online of woefully inadequate free school meal parcels are a disgrace. Where is the money going?”

Other food parcel photos on social media included one posted by Lisa T, which included half a carrot, half a pepper and portions of food packed into small bank-style clear plastic bags. “It wasn’t nice, when you are already feeling at rock bottom to then be given this. But it was rectified very quickly by our school and for that I’m very grateful,” she tweeted.

Cook, food writer and anti-poverty campaigner Jack Monroe retweeted examples of hundreds of messages sent to her regarding the food parcels, using the hashtag #bringbackvouchers. Calling them “ill-thought through, meagre scraps” she compared the parcels with a voluminous spread of £20 worth of food bought at her local supermarket two months ago. “Have we had enough examples yet that they can’t say this is an isolated incident or do I need to keep going?!” she tweeted.

There were calls for the system to be replaced by a “cash transfers” in which families were supported directly through payments made via child benefit or universal credit. Prof Greta Defeyter of Northumbria University, an expert in school food, said: “Cash first is the easiest and most effective route in ensuring families are supported with dignity, respect and freedom of choice.”

The DfE guidance says there are “significant benefits” to offering food parcels, including “the confidence that a nutritious and varied range of food is being provided in line with guidance”. An added benefit, it says, is “the continuation of financial support to school caterers”. It says food parcel contents should be sufficient to “allow parents and carers to prepare simple and healthy lunches for their children across the week”.

A statement by LACA, the professional body for school meals providers, which helped draw up the DfE guidance, said: “[We are] disappointed to see the pictures of food parcels circulating on social media. They simply do not meet the standards.”
Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
UK Confirms Preferential U.S. Trading Terms Will Continue After Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
U.S. and U.K. to Hold Talks on Diego Garcia as Iran Objects to Potential Military Use
UK Officials Weigh Possible Changes to Prince Andrew’s Position in Line of Succession Amid Ongoing Scrutiny
British Police Probe Epstein’s UK Airport Links and Expand High-Profile Inquiries
United Kingdom Denies U.S. Access to Military Base for Potential Iran Strike
British Co-founder of ASOS falls to his death from Pattaya apartment
Early 2026 Data Suggests Tentative Recovery for UK Businesses and Households
UK Introduces Digital-First Passport Rules for Dual Citizens in Border Control Overhaul
Unable to Access Live Financial Data for January UK Surplus Report
UK Government Considers Law to Remove Prince Andrew from Royal Line of Succession
UK ‘Working Closely with US’ to Assess Impact of Supreme Court Tariff Ruling
Trump Criticises UK Decision to Restrict Use of Bases in Potential Iran Strike Scenario
UK Foreign Secretary and U.S. State Chief Hold Strategic Talks as Tensions Rise Over Joint Air Base
Two teens arrested in France for alleged terror plot.
Nordic Fracture: How Criminal Scandals and Toxic Ties are Dismantling the Norwegian Crown
US Supreme Court Voids Trump’s Emergency Tariff Plan, Reshaping Trade Power and Fiscal Risk
King Charles III Opens London Fashion Week as Royal Family Faces Fresh Scrutiny
Trump’s Evolving Stance on UK Chagos Islands Deal Draws Renewed Scrutiny
House Democrat Says Former UK Ambassador Unable to Testify in Congressional Epstein Inquiry
No Record of Prince Andrew Arrest in UK as Claims Circulate Online
UK Has Not Granted US Approval to Launch Iran Strikes from RAF Bases, Government Confirms
AI Pricing Pressure Mounts as Chinese Models Undercut US Rivals and Margin Risks Grow
Global Counsel, Advisory Firm Co-Founded by Lord Mandelson, Enters Administration After Client Exodus
London High Court dispute over Ricardo Salinas’s $400mn Elektra share-backed bitcoin loan
UK Intensifies Efforts to Secure Saudi Investment in Next-Generation Fighter Jet Programme
Former Student Files Civil Claim Against UK Authorities After Rape Charges Against Peers Are Dropped
Archer Aviation Chooses Bristol for New UK Engineering Hub to Drive Electric Air Taxi Expansion
UK Sees Surge in Medical Device Testing as Government Pushes Global Competitiveness
UK Competition Watchdog Flags Concerns Over Proposed Getty Images–Shutterstock Merger
Trump Reasserts Opposition to UK Chagos Islands Proposal, Urges Stronger Strategic Alignment
Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis advocates for a ban on minors using social media.
Liberal Senator Michaelia Cash Accuses Prime Minister of Lying to Australians
Meanwhile in Time Square, NYC One of the most famous landmarks
Jensen Huang just told the story of how Elon Musk became NVIDIA’s very first customer for their powerful AI supercomputer
A Lunar New Year event in Taiwan briefly came to a halt after a temple official standing beside President Lai Ching‑te suddenly vomited, splashing Lai’s clothing
Jillian Michaels reveals Bill Gates’ $55 million investment in mRNA vaccines turned into over $1 billion.
Ex-Prince Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor's arrested
Former British Prince Andrew Arrested on Suspicion of Misconduct in Public Office
Four Chagos Islanders Establish Permanent Settlement on Atoll
Unitree Robotics founder Wang Xingxing showcases future robot deployment during Spring Festival Gala.
UK Inflation Slows Sharply in January, Strengthening Case for Bank of England Rate Cut
Hide the truth, fake the facts, pretend the opposite, Britain is as usual
France President Macron says Free Speech is Bull Sh!t
Viktor Orbán getting massive praise for keeping Hungary safe, rich and migrant-free!
UK Inflation Falls to Ten-Month Low, Markets Anticipate Interest Rate Cut
UK House Prices Climb 2.4% in December as Market Shows Signs of Stabilisation
BAE Systems Predicts Sustained Expansion as Defence Orders Reach Record High
Pro-Palestine Activists Cleared of Burglary Charges Over Break-In at UK Israeli Arms Facility
Former Reform UK Councillors Form New Local Group Amid Party Fragmentation
Reform UK Pledges to Retain Britain’s Budget Watchdog as It Seeks Broader Economic Credibility
×