London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Thursday, Aug 20, 2026

National security law: social media giants refusing to cooperate with Hong Kong police may have to make exit plans, analysts say

Worst-case scenarios could see sites like Google or Facebook blocked in Hong Kong, while the city’s politicised status could see them pressured from two sidesใ But government says there is ‘nothing unique’ about new security law’s demands, arguing many jurisdictions have comparable legislation

Social media giants’ reluctance to hand over user data to Hong Kong police in national security cases could prompt the government to block their sites in a worst-case scenario or see them relocate, analysts warned, as the firms presented, for now, a united front against such requests.

Following announcements from Google, Facebook, WhatsApp, Twitter, Telegram and LinkedIn that they were hitting pause on processing law enforcement requests for user data, TikTok, the popular short video app, said it would pull out of Hong Kong’s Apple and Google app stores within days.

TikTok, which said it made the decision “in light of recent events”, is owned by Beijing-based ByteDance, the world’s most valuable start-up. Last August, the app reported having 150,000 users in Hong Kong.

Zhang Nan, chief executive of ByteDance China, on Tuesday said TikTok’s Chinese version, Douyin, would continue to provide services to Hong Kong users.

While the company currently has no plan to make the service available in Hong Kong app stores, Douyin has local users who have downloaded it from mainland China, according to a person familiar with the matter.

But while the other social media giants have said they would not currently process police requests as they assess the sweeping new national security law, they have not disclosed how they plan to deal with the situation long-term. It remained unclear if Hong Kong police had already made such requests since the law’s June 30 enactment.

Analysts who spoke to the Post said internet companies with offices in Hong Kong may decide to relocate if they decide the risk for their employees in the city is too high.

Even firms without offices or servers in Hong Kong that refuse to cooperate with police risk getting their representatives in trouble should they visit the city, according to barrister Anson Wong Yu-tat.

“There is such a risk,” Wong said on Tuesday.



New implementation regulations for the law unveiled on Monday say it applies “whether or not the identification record or decryption key” central to a particular national security case is located in Hong Kong.

Shaun Rein, managing director of China Market Research Group, said that given how politicised Hong Kong had become, Facebook risked being criticised at home if it did not publicly say it would resist police requests.

“I think a lot of companies like Facebook have a decision to make. Is it better to upset the Hong Kong police and the government, or is it better to upset their home market in the US? So maybe it is better for them to leave Hong Kong completely,” he said.

Rein said there was a “real risk” that the legal representatives of these companies could go to jail or be fined if they did not follow the law, leaving tech giants stuck in a “very difficult and dangerous situation”.

“I think you’ve reached the point where the ‘Great Firewall’ has come to Hong Kong. And we’re in very new territory right now... people don’t know what they’re allowed to do and what they’re allowed to do neither do companies know,” he said.

Under the sweeping national security law, police no longer require a warrant from a magistrate to ask internet companies to hand over user data if there are “reasonable grounds” to suspect that, for example, a delay caused by the warrant application might defeat the purpose of obtaining the data.

The police also have the power to compel internet companies to take down information on the internet. The maximum penalty for non-compliance is a fine of HK$100,000 (US$13,000) and six months in jail.

Google, Facebook and LinkedIn have offices in the city, while Twitter and Telegram do not.

“When the law took effect, we paused production on any new data requests from Hong Kong authorities, and we’ll continue to review the details of the new law,” Google replied in a statement that did not address questions regarding the potential for a Hong Kong exit.

Facebook also offered no new comment on Tuesday when asked if they might move their office out of the city.

In response to the tech giants’ latest moves, a Hong Kong government spokesman on Tuesday said many other jurisdictions in the world have laws of a similar nature that regulate online messages for national security or the public interest in general.

“The new requirement in Hong Kong is comparable in nature and indeed not unique,” he said.

Asked about the social media giants’ declaration they would not assist police for the time being, Zhao Lijian, the Chinese foreign ministry spokesman, stressed on Tuesday that the fundamental interests of Hongkongers would be better protected thanks to the security law.

“When the time comes, the horse will run more joyfully, the stock market will be more dynamic, and the dance will be better. We are full of confidence in the future of Hong Kong. Regarding the specific questions you mentioned, I think time will bring us the final answer,” he said from Beijing.


Hong Kong national security law official English-language version

But Hong Kong IT-sector lawmaker Charles Mok said he believed representatives of overseas internet firms would start weighing whether it was even safe to enter Hong Kong.

“They will be worried and start asking themselves if they will be arrested, even if they are just in transit through Hong Kong,” he said.

Firms that have offices in the city may assess whether it is safe to keep a presence here, he said, now that “there is a knife hanging over their heads”.

In the worst-case scenario, the government could request “geo-blocking” so that certain content or sites cannot be accessed in Hong Kong, Mok said, though whether this was technically possible was a different matter.

“If that happens, Hong Kong will become like Shenzhen,” he added.

Alex Capri, a Singapore-based research fellow at the Hinrich Foundation, said because tech companies such as Facebook and Google are already not operating in mainland China, quitting Hong Kong would not be a big loss for them.

Facebook and Twitter have such huge markets worldwide. They can afford to lose Hong Kong as a market. It’s a small market,” he said. “But it’s a really important statement that they’re making here [that they value privacy].”

Francis Fong Po-kiu, honorary president of the Information Technology Federation, said he believed the government would only ask local internet service providers to block access to certain sites if it were an extreme situation.

“I don’t think we’ve come to that stage just yet,” he said

Earlier this week, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the US was considering taking action against Chinese social media apps such as TikTok over privacy issues and potential national security risks.




Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
Moderna Shares Surge After Positive Personalized Skin Cancer Trial Results
UK Markets Watch US National Debt Surpass Forty Trillion Dollars
UK Broadcasters Urge Government to Invest in Digital Participation and Broadband
CVC Capital Partners and Standard Life Launch Two Billion Pound Pension Risk Transfer Venture
UK Private Sector Productivity Growth Accelerates in Second Quarter
UK Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband Condemns Israeli E1 Settlement Tender
UK Watchdog Investigates Trainline, Virgin Atlantic and RED Driving School Over Hidden Fees
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Plan Move to Private Home Outside London
UK Retail Sentiment Improves as Summer Spending Boosts Consumer Confidence
UK Aid Cuts Draw Warnings From Charities Over Humanitarian Consequences
UK Financial Conduct Authority Issues Guidance for Motor Finance Redress Scheme
UK Met Office Launches Aviation Programme to Reduce Climate Impact of Persistent Contrails
Former UK Civil Service Chief Received Record 500,000 Pound Severance Payment
West Midlands to Bring Bus Network Under Public Franchising Model
UK Government Drops Plan to Relax Affordable Housing Requirements After Backlash
UK Reaffirms Military Support for Ukraine Despite Russian Hybrid Warfare Threats
UK Technology Sector Expands Nearly 8 Percent as Digital Industry Outpaces Wider Economy
UK Drought Threatens Harvests Across England and Wales as Food Inflation Risks Persist
UK Government Pledges 442 Million Pounds to End Rough Sleeping by Christmas
UK Government Signals Willingness to Reconsider Digital Services Tax Amid US Tariff Threats
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9 Percent as Energy Costs Threaten Economic Recovery
NHS Hospitals Cancel Surgeries as Extreme Heat Pushes Ward Temperatures Above 40 Degrees Celsius
UK Heatwave Forces Emergency Measures as Wildfire Risk, Hospital Disruption and Drought Intensify
A Sleepless Night on Wall Street: Nasdaq to Begin Nearly Round-the-Clock Trading
"The First in the World": 69-Year-Old Protested Artificial Intelligence—and Went to Jail
Ukraine's Ousted Defence Minister Calls for Wartime Presidential Election
UK Marks Ten Years of Night Tube as London Weekend Usage Exceeds Eighty-One Thousand Journeys a Night
Met Office Issues Thunderstorm Warnings Across Northern Ireland Over Flash-Flood Risk
Frasers Group Raises Stake in Hugo Boss to Nearly Forty-Eight Percent
Scottish Clyde Marine Pilots Prepare for Strike That Could Disrupt Glasgow and Greenock Shipping
Twenty Passengers Injured After Southern Train Derails Near Lewes in East Sussex
Government Rules Out High-Speed Rail Revival Between West Midlands and Northern England
West Midlands Bus Network Returns to Public Ownership in Twenty-Four Million Pound Deal
UK Competition Watchdog Targets Trainline, Virgin Atlantic and RED Driving School Over Drip Pricing
Northern Ireland Health Minister Mike Nesbitt Resigns After Dispute Over Causeway Hospital Surgery Closure
UK Long-Term Government Bond Yields Rise to Five Point Eight Five Percent as Borrowing Costs Surge
UK Government Overhauls Planning Rules to Push Housing Development Near Major Transport Hubs
UK Health and Economic Pressures Highlight Wider Strain on Households and Public Finances
UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham Reaffirms Full Support for Ukraine Amid Russian Warnings
Sainsbury’s Suspends Live Facial Recognition at London Store After Customer Misidentified
Artists Urge UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham to Reject New North Sea Oil and Gas Licensing
UK Government Awards Four Hundred and Fifty-Six Million Pound Civil Service Training Contract to EY and KPMG
×