London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Saturday, Aug 22, 2026

Details of ‘safe haven’ programme for Hongkongers in the US are released

Details of ‘safe haven’ programme for Hongkongers in the US are released

Eligibility will be extended to holders of both Hong Kong Special Administrative Region and British National (Overseas) passports.

The United States provided details on Wednesday about its temporary “safe haven” programme that will allow Hongkongers to work in the country, soon after US lawmakers were told that those seeking protection were frustrated by their inability to gain information about the plan.

Announced by US President Joe Biden in August, the deferred removal programme exempts Hong Kong residents from having to leave the US should their visas expire because of possible political persecution upon their return to the city.

In a notice to be posted in the Federal Register on Thursday, US Citizenship and Immigration Services indicated that eligibility would be extended not only to holders of Hong Kong Special Administrative Region passports but also those with British National (Overseas) passports – nationality documents that were granted to some Hongkongers before the 1997 handover.

Also to be covered by the programme, known formally as “deferred enforced departure” (DED), are those holding a Hong Kong permanent identity card or Hong Kong document of identity for visa purposes, which allows residents without a passport to travel.

Wednesday’s notice was welcomed by pro-democracy campaigner Samuel Chu, who said he had communicated the need for a wide range of eligible people during discussions with White House and State Department officials in the months before August’s announcement.

“We tried very hard to make it as broad and inclusive as possible,” said Chu, the founder and former managing director of the US-based Hong Kong Democracy Council who last year became the first US citizen sought by Hong Kong police for allegedly violating the national security law imposed on the city.

The law – prohibiting acts under the four categories of secession, terrorism, subversion, and collusion with foreign forces – was cited in Biden’s August announcement as one of the ways in which Beijing had “undermined the enjoyment of rights and freedoms in Hong Kong”.

Those covered by the deferred removal plan will be eligible to work in the US and can also apply to leave and re-enter the country, the immigration agency said.

The option to travel was particularly important, said Chu, given that many of those seeking US protection would rely on global networks of support from other Hongkongers in places like Canada and Britain.

But those who voluntarily travel to either Hong Kong or mainland China will no longer be covered by the programme and could be refused re-entry to the US, the notice warned.

Details about the plan came one day after US lawmakers on the Congressional-Executive Commission on China heard from a Hong Kong activist that many people were struggling to make plans given the lack of specific information from the administration.

Samuel Chu, founder and former managing director of the Hong Kong Democracy Council, appears before a US congressional committee on October 14.


“Since the Department of Homeland Security has not announced any details of the DED yet […] many Hongkongers are still quite desperate in the United States, trying to figure out how to settle down and how to have a life here,” Sunny Cheung Kwan-yang, who fled to the US from Hong Kong last year, said on Tuesday.

The plan will apply only to Hong Kong residents who were in the United States on August 5 – when Biden announced the executive action – and have remained in the country since then. Eligibility will expire after 18 months, at which point the administration could choose to renew the programme, as it has done for other DED designations such as Liberia.

Anticipating a renewal, Chu said: “I fully expect the administration would not abandon people who are under this protection because the situation in Hong Kong obviously does not look like it is going to be changing and improving any time soon.”

The executive action comes as lawmakers on Capitol Hill debate a number of proposals to help Hongkongers in the US remain or make it easier for those outside the country to apply for asylum.

One bill, the Hong Kong Safe Harbour Act, would designate Hongkongers as “Priority 2” refugees, which would give asylum seekers priority over some other groups. The legislation remains in the committee stage after a failed bid to attach it to an omnibus China bill that passed the Senate in June.

A second bill, the Hong Kong People’s Freedom and Choice Act, would confer protected status on Hongkongers in the US and see the issuance of up to 5,000 visas each year to Hongkongers deemed “highly skilled”.

Congress came close to passing that bill last year, but the effort was thwarted by Senator Ted Cruz, Republican of Texas, who argued that it would make it easier for China to send spies to the US.

Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
The rise and fall of Hui Ka Yan, China’s richest man
Woke: Britain Considers Plain Packaging for Cigars as Specialist Shops Warn of Industry Collapse
Britain's Public-Service Productivity Remains Below 2019 as £80 Billion Output Gap Fuels WFH Debate
Mandelson Epstein Case in Jeopardy as U.S. Files Stay Out of Reach
Prince Harry and Six Others Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million After High Court Defeat
Petrol Bombs Set Luxury Cars Alight Outside Birmingham Wedding as Police Hunt Three Men
Bitcoin Surges Toward $80,000 as Short Squeeze and ETF Inflows Ignite Crypto Rally
Prince Harry and Co-Claimants Ordered to Pay £9.5 Million Toward Daily Mail Publisher’s Legal Costs
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Reportedly Plan Return to Britain With Their Children
UK Court Ruling Threatens Deportation Plans for Potential Trafficking Victims to Albania
Kemi Badenoch Presses UK Government for Decisions on Rosebank and Jackdaw Oil Fields
UK Foreign Affairs Committee Chair Calls for Ban on Goods from Occupied West Bank
Andy Burnham Government to Place Civil Servants Directly in English Mayoral Offices
Met Office Warns Major El Niño Could Bring Stormier, Wetter Autumn to UK
UK Economy Gains Unexpected Momentum Ahead of Andy Burnham Government’s First Budget
Twenty-Nine US States Take Meta to Trial Over Alleged Child Addiction on Instagram and Facebook
Former Scottish National Party Executive Peter Murrell Jailed for Five Years Over £400,000 Embezzlement
Moderna and Merck's Personalized Cancer Vaccine Succeeds in Historic Late-Stage Melanoma Trial
Prince Harry and Meghan to Move Back to Britain With Their Children
England and Wales Have Fewer Than 1,800 Prison Places Left for Men
Royal Navy to Accelerate DragonFire Laser Deployment Against Growing Drone Threat
Northern Ireland Approves Five Hundred Million Pound Belfast Harbour Expansion
Great British Railways Takes Full Control of Avanti West Coast as Rail Nationalisation Reaches Final Stage
UK AI Safety Institute Calls for Mandatory Security Audits of Advanced AI Models
Scotland Secures Three Billion Pounds for Floating Offshore Wind Hub in Aberdeen
Government Overrides Local Councils to Approve Green Belt Housing Across Southern England
UK and EU Move Toward Mutual Recognition of Food Standards to Ease Cross-Channel Trade
Government Plans Multibillion-Pound Private Healthcare Expansion to Cut NHS Surgical Backlogs
Bank of England Signals Faster Rate Cuts as Inflation Falls Below the Two Percent Target
Suspected People Smuggler Arrested After Investigation Identified Him
Children's Doctors Warn That Vaping Can Lead Young People to Smoking
Hundreds of Thousands of Students Receive GCSE and Vocational Results Across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
Here Is What Can Never Happen in Your Country: Taiwan Is Giving Money to All Its People Because It Collected Too Much Tax
UK Inflation Rises to 2.9% as Energy Bills Jump
UK Issues New Conduct Guide for Asylum Seekers on Consent and Respect
Moderna Shares Surge After Positive Personalized Skin Cancer Trial Results
UK Markets Watch US National Debt Surpass Forty Trillion Dollars
UK Broadcasters Urge Government to Invest in Digital Participation and Broadband
CVC Capital Partners and Standard Life Launch Two Billion Pound Pension Risk Transfer Venture
UK Private Sector Productivity Growth Accelerates in Second Quarter
UK Foreign Secretary Ed Miliband Condemns Israeli E1 Settlement Tender
UK Watchdog Investigates Trainline, Virgin Atlantic and RED Driving School Over Hidden Fees
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Plan Move to Private Home Outside London
UK Retail Sentiment Improves as Summer Spending Boosts Consumer Confidence
UK Aid Cuts Draw Warnings From Charities Over Humanitarian Consequences
UK Financial Conduct Authority Issues Guidance for Motor Finance Redress Scheme
UK Met Office Launches Aviation Programme to Reduce Climate Impact of Persistent Contrails
Former UK Civil Service Chief Received Record 500,000 Pound Severance Payment
West Midlands to Bring Bus Network Under Public Franchising Model
UK Government Drops Plan to Relax Affordable Housing Requirements After Backlash
×