London Daily

Focus on the big picture.
Monday, Aug 17, 2026

China fight against fake news, declares 5 US media outlets to be foreign government functionaries, calling them agencies controlled by Washington

China fight against fake news, declares 5 US media outlets to be foreign government functionaries, calling them agencies controlled by Washington

China move came after USA outlaw 60 Chinese journalists working in USA. Beijing also expels American journalists from 3 US newspapers. ‘The US approach to the Chinese media is based on a Cold War mentality and ideological bias,’ Foreign Ministry says
The Chinese Foreign Ministry said on Tuesday that it was revoking the press credentials for American journalists from three newspapers, The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal and The Washington Post, requiring them to return their media passes within 10 days and essentially expelling them from the country.

Beijing also declared five US media outlets – Voice of America, The Times, The Journal, The Post and Time magazine – to be foreign government functionaries, identifying them as agencies controlled by Washington.

The move is a fierce retaliation against the Trump administration's labelling on five Chinese state media as “foreign missions” last month. It also requires staff from the five US news organisations to report their personal, financial and property information to Chinese authorities.

The American journalists must return their press cards to Foreign Ministry within 10 days, and they will then be barred from working as journalists in China, including Hong Kong and Macau.

“These measures are entirely necessary and reciprocal countermeasures that China is compelled to take in response to the unreasonable oppression the Chinese media organisations experience in the US. They are legitimate and justified self-defence in every sense,” the Foreign Ministry statement said.

“What the US has done is exclusively targeting Chinese media organisations. … The US approach to the Chinese media is based on a Cold War mentality and ideological bias, which has seriously tarnished the reputation and image of Chinese media organisations. … The US has been massively ‘deporting’ Chinese journalists in a disguised way,” it added.

Martin Baron, executive editor of The Post, responded on Tuesday: “We unequivocally condemn any action by China to expel US reporters. The Chinese government’s decision is particularly regrettable because it comes in the midst of an unprecedented global crisis, when clear and reliable information about the international response to Covid-19 is essential. Severely limiting the flow of that information, which China now seeks to do, only aggravates the situation.”

Jude Blanchette, who holds the Freeman Chair in China Studies at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, said the move “shows that the US and China are firmly locked in a tit-for-tat battle on the landscape of the media and the press. The US-China relationship was already deteriorating significantly. China’s move wouldn’t alter the course but will just accelerate it.”

He said China’s actions were not an apples-to-apples retaliation because those taken by the US State Department were about increasing the oversight over Chinese state media operating in the United States, while the journalists who are being expelled by China, except for Voice of America, are independent journalists.

“Everyone knows state media workers from China, many of them have a dual role, these aren't comparable, but by the Chinese government’s own logic, it is by framing this retaliation and reciprocity in it, it’s a smart move on their part because it makes these look like this is a one for one response while they are qualitatively and quantitatively different,” Blanchette said.

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Tuesday that he regretted China’s decision and that he hoped Beijing would reconsider. He said the move would deprive the world and the Chinese people of information in “incredibly challenging” times caused by the coronavirus.

All three US media outlets have reported politically sensitive stories in China, a long-term taboo with the Chinese Communist Party. The New York Times and Wall Street Journal have written about Xinjiang, where China has interned up to 1 million Muslims in detention camps. Beijing says the camps are designed to combat extremism.

Last year, The Times revealed more than 400 pages of internal Chinese documents about how to crack down on ethnic minorities in the Xinjiang region without “showing mercy”.

Chun Han Wong, one of the expelled Wall Street Journal journalists, was co-author last year of a report that a cousin of Chinese President Xi Jinping was under investigation in Australia for ties to organised crime, money laundering and alleged Chinese influence-peddling.

China’s retaliation came amid the growing tension between Beijing and Washington over issues ranging from trade, visas, intellectual property theft to even the coronavirus pandemic.

The move not only deepens the rift between Beijing and Washington – which has been growing since before US President Donald Trump started a trade war with China nearly two years ago – but also drags the issue of Hong Kong’s autonomy into the stand-off.

“China’s decision to kick American journalists out of the PRC is evidence of the ongoing decoupling not only of supply chains and financial systems, but of information and knowledge systems – of media and academia,” said Robert Daly, director of the Wilson Centre’s Kissinger Institute on China and the United States.

“Forbidding foreign journalists to report freely from Hong Kong clearly violates the spirit of Beijing’s promise that the [special administrative region] could retain its social system for 50 years after the handover,” he added.

Earlier this month, the US State Department imposed employment restrictions on five Chinese state media outlets – all are deemed as propaganda arms of the Chinese Communist Party – requiring them to reduce the number of their US-based Chinese employees to around 100 from 160 now.

Pompeo said the move was a retaliation for Beijing’s “increasingly harsh surveillance, harassment and intimidation” of American journalists.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian said the US action against five Chinese news outlets would harm ties between the two countries and said China reserved the right to take further action.

In February, the US government declared several mainland Chinese media outlets – state news agency Xinhua, China Global Television Network (CGTN), China Radio International, China Daily and Hai Tian Development USA – to be agencies controlled by Beijing.

The directive requires staff from these organisations to register with the US State Department the same way that embassy and consular employees do.

Hours after that US declaration, Beijing expelled three Wall Street Journal reporters, saying the move was prompted by the newspaper’s “sick man of Asia” headline on an opinion article.
Newsletter

Related Articles

0:00
0:00
Close
Sarah Ferguson Reportedly Retreats to Late Ex-Boyfriend's Swiss Chalet
Cristiano Ronaldo and Georgina Rodríguez Sign Prenup Protecting Their Separate Fortunes
Thieves Steal Antonello da Messina Renaissance Masterpieces From Sicilian Museum
Better.com Founder Who Fired 900 Employees on Zoom Is Ousted as CEO
Italian Speed Camera Issues Nearly 32,000 Fines in 10 Weeks, Worth More Than €3 Million
AI Manager at San Francisco Store Recommends Firing Human Employee
Google Launches Pixel 11 With Gemini AI at the Center of Its Hardware Strategy
Campaigners Press Government to Strengthen Rights for Four Million Gig Workers
Government Considers Higher Private Rents to Spread Asylum Accommodation Across UK
UK Moves to Protect Historic Pubs From Conversion Into Housing and Offices
Nigel Farage Wins Clacton By-Election to Return to House of Commons
British Manufacturers Report Rising Cybersecurity Threats Across Industrial Supply Chains
Royal Navy Increases Monitoring of Russian Ships in UK Waters by 25 Percent
England Adds More Than 350 Medical Training Posts to Strengthen NHS Capacity
NHS Waiting Lists Over 52 Weeks Rise by More Than 11,000 Patients
Brent Crude Near $88 Raises Fresh UK Energy Cost Concerns
UK Treasury Warns Prolonged Strait of Hormuz Disruption Could Cut 2027 Growth to 0.3 Percent
UK Economy Grows 0.4 Percent in Second Quarter as Energy and Inflation Risks Persist
UK Heatwave Triggers Emergency Alert as Government Unveils £65 Million Farm Support Package
Reform UK Unveils Plan to Cut Welfare Spending by More Than £50 Billion a Year
Prime Minister Andy Burnham Praised Extinction Rebellion for Doing a 'Great Service'
UK Wildfire Phone Alert Triggers Backlash as Users Switch Off Emergency Warnings
Heathrow Roads Reopen After Burst Water Main Floods Access to Terminals 2 and 3
Former NBA Players Enes Kanter Freedom and Royce White Say They Will Enter 2027 WNBA Draft
Former Cambridge Professor Jason Arday Found Dead Days After Resigning Amid Plagiarism Row
US Appeals Court Rules AI Agent's Website Actions Are Legally Attributed to the User
France's Constitutional Council Blocks Social Media Ban for Children Under 15
Liechtenstein Changes Royal Succession Rules to Allow Women to Inherit the Throne
Women Allege Rape and Sexual Abuse at British Army College for Teenage Recruits
Minnesota: Two independent investigators posed as Muslims (one wearing a burqa) and showed how they could vote in elections without identification.
UK Prime Minister Andy Burnham Takes Regional Tour to Highlight Local Infrastructure and Environmental Problems
Nigel Farage Wins Clacton By-Election to Return to the House of Commons
Bank of England Warns Rising Inflation Could Squeeze UK Household Incomes
UK Government Announces £65 Million Aid Package for Farmers Hit by Severe Drought
UK Economy Grows 0.4% in Second Quarter Despite Energy Market Pressures
UK Issues Emergency Alert as Severe Wildfires Spread Across England and Wales
UK and Finland Discuss European Defence and Continued Support for Ukraine
Nigel Farage Wins Clacton By-Election to Return to the House of Commons
UK Government Deploys Military to Help Fight Wildfires and Bans Disposable Barbecues
UK Records Hottest Day of the Year as Fifth Summer Heatwave Peaks in Southern England
UK Condemns Houthi Actions and Warns of Red Sea Threat to Global Trade
UK and Solomon Islands Open Wildlife Photography Exhibition in Honiara
UK Small Businesses Face Continued Cash Flow and Tax Pressures
Greatham Marsh Restoration Restores Tidal Wetland in Hartlepool After More Than 200 Years
UK Health Regulator Urges University Students to Check Meningitis and Measles Vaccination Status
Mining Remediation Authority Completes Major Ground Stabilization Works in Scottish Community
UK Food Crime Investigators Seize 33 Tonnes of Illegal Food in Multi-Agency Operation
Technical Qualification Uptake Hits Record High as Advanced Mathematics Results Improve
UK Summer Temperatures on Course to Challenge Long-Standing Records, Met Office Says
UK Farmers Bring Forward Cereal Harvests as Drought Threatens Yields
×